woncoolone

quality posts: 892 Private Messages woncoolone

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 37 Private Messages jiggersgreen

I found someone that may have 1/8" collets for the Trio available for sale.Might be worth considering.
http://patricchiosprototypes.com/Custom%20Trio%20Collets.html

olifants

quality posts: 0 Private Messages olifants

It looks like a cool tool to have, just to have it, so why not buy it!

Zeffmeister

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Zeffmeister

But does it blend? Actually I think it probably blends other things...

HFH

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HFH

got to tell you that the little tools of Dremel seem like toys you would give a little kid ... guess I am that little kid. After purchasing my first one - I really can do anything and not just look for things that might need the help of Harold and Dremel. Bet you will not be disappointed!

Harold F Hand

bonniegibson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bonniegibson

Way cheaper and more practical to add a cutting guide attachment to your regular dremel tool (regular retail around $15, found for $5 on ebay commonly) and a 1/8" shank drywall cutting bur OR a 1/8" shank routing bits.

The cutting attachment screws on to the end of most dremel tools and comes in a lot of the kits anyway - so you may already own one if you have a dremel kit. It looks a bit like a black mushroom with a thumbscrew for adjusting the depth.

I hate these proprietary sizes that make tools far less practical.

NortonsArk

quality posts: 13 Private Messages NortonsArk

This looks useful. I'm in for one, and it makes my 200th Woot purchase!! I must be an addict.

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
bonniegibson wrote:Way cheaper and more practical to add a cutting guide attachment to your regular dremel tool (regular retail around $15, found for $5 on ebay commonly) and a 1/8" shank drywall cutting bur OR a 1/8" shank routing bits.

The cutting attachment screws on to the end of most dremel tools and comes in a lot of the kits anyway - so you may already own one if you have a dremel kit. It looks a bit like a black mushroom with a thumbscrew for adjusting the depth.

I hate these proprietary sizes that make tools far less practical.

OK, except you don't have the foot with that setup. Don't you need the foot if you want to use it as a router?

Elandur

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Elandur
Mominator wrote:No, you won't. You will burn her, because Dremels spin too fast for stuff like that.

Do not ask how I know this.

Not true! I work at Home Depot, and I actually have people coming in all the time to buy Dremel tools for nail work.

At first I thought it was really weird, but I sell one for that purpose at least once a month. Women come in singing praises to Dremel, telling me about how their manicurist or friend used one on them and the results were great. Granted, this is only viable with units with the speed control, and the dinky little Stylus model is the best (It's underpowered and ergonomic), but still.

acanarelli

quality posts: 251 Private Messages acanarelli
woody189 wrote:would this plow through MDF? I would think it would, but I want to make sure. It would probably be 3/4" or 1".

One would think that MDF (medium density fiber board) would be a piece of cake but it's not. The glue which is used to hold the fibers together becomes very hard and will dull any cutting tool very quickly. With MDF it's better to take several passes.

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 37 Private Messages jiggersgreen

Square Trade Warranty Today only save 30%
Coupon Code: SUNSET

boavirett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boavirett

link to Amazon :user reviews of dremel rotary tool

manfromoxford

quality posts: 0 Private Messages manfromoxford
acanarelli wrote:Absolutely not!!!

Sure just throw the appropriate size rock through first and then use this tool to smoothe out the rough edges,,,DUH

El Marko

quality posts: 7 Private Messages El Marko
woody189 wrote:would this plow through MDF? I would think it would, but I want to make sure. It would probably be 3/4" or 1".

Don't have but I've worked with MDF and I'd consider this to be too underpowered for the job. You need serious grunt for MDF, especially 3/4 or 1" thickness.

Seventy8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Seventy8

Me and my father have both had several dremels and the slew of attachments that go with them, but the one thing holding me back is the lack of cross compatibility.

Hell, if they just made a keyless chuck that would fit on the trio, it'd make everything dead simple.

I hate using the collets.

ArtWorksMetal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ArtWorksMetal
El Marko wrote:Don't have but I've worked with MDF and I'd consider this to be too underpowered for the job. You need serious grunt for MDF, especially 3/4 or 1" thickness.

Agreed. The Dremel is too underpowered for most jobs, really. Great for building dollhouses, maybe.
Remember the commercial where they show it cutting a nail? Even that was just a thin finishing nail.

Asceticism is for those that can't afford Hedonism.

sdean

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sdean

The problem with Dremels as with router is controlling the damn beaver...they cut like there wasn't anything there...and then catch and go zooming outside of where you want to cut. For routers, there are guides and tables. This looks like a good idea for Dremel, but not if the Dremel itself is weak. Better would be a big-ass plate with two handles each side that the standard Dremel would clamp into...like routers come with

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Thought it was a real cool robot....oh well, pass.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

jeffandmonica

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jeffandmonica
cryfordawn wrote:Best Star Wars Blu-Ray joke ever! Ok, maybe at least the best one today.

Will someone please spoon feed me what the joke is? Do I have to rent the Blu-Ray version to figure it out? Is there something in the bar scene that looks like this? Yeah, I understand that Darth Vader had "Noooo" edited in (did James Earl Jones do the dubbing btw?) but I still don't get the leap to Greedo having a dremel tool.

FryeGuy93

quality posts: 1 Private Messages FryeGuy93

What is the cost difference (on average) between the 100s of Dremel accessories/bits I have now and the special Trio accessories?

Are the bit options anywhere as numerous for the Trio as the standard Dremel tools?

I was ready to pull the trigger until I saw the part about special accessories.

UPDATE...I saw comments on one online review complaining about the special 3/16" collet and the seeming lack of bits (especially router)from Dremel.

Maybe I'll stick with what I got and save my $ for the new Droid Bionic or Nexus phone.

FryeGuy

mgb4tim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mgb4tim
Stuey83 wrote:I previewed the Trio on my tool blog last year:

Dremel Trio Details & Usage Photos

Maximum cutting depth is ~1/2", so to cut 3/4" or 1" material, you'll need to make cuts on both the front and back of the material.

I cut 3/4" MDF using a few passes without having to flip it over.

It's a great tool, the bits are about $10. For drywall, it's a champ with the base plate. Circles - nothing to it.

JoeBobster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JoeBobster

I almost bought one on sale at Lowes, but not being able to use my existing router bits and large assortment of rotary tool bits killed the deal. I don't need another "category" of bits and bobs to keep track of.

sdc100

quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100
speedoo wrote:OK, except you don't have the foot with that setup. Don't you need the foot if you want to use it as a router?

I don't know what a router foot is but Dremel makes several router and cutting attachments for their regular rotary tools. They all seem more versatile and economical than buying this Trio. In fact, if you get the highly-praised$28.99 Black & Decker RTX-B 3 Speed RTX Rotary Tool with Storage Case, you may end up with a more versatile setup that costs less. The 2.0 Amp B&D has twice the torque of a Dremel in the same class yet costs less. The 2.0A motor matches the motor of this Trio. I got the model with continuous speed control (not just 3 speeds) for the same price a few years ago. NOTE THAT THE B&D MAY NOT ACCEPT SOME OF THE FOLLOWING ROUTER ATTACHMENTS. At least one reviewer, however, confirmed that the below $22.83 Dremel 335-01 Plunge Router does fit the B&D.

Instead of the Trio, consider the following attachments. They may not cut as deep, but may be enough for most needs.

For example, this $11.52 Dremel 565 Multi Purpose Cutting Kit 565D. "The Multipurpose Cutting Kit allows for sturdy, controlled cuts in a variety of materials including: wood, ceiling tiles, drywall, laminate, fiberglass, plastic and vinyl siding."

Or this $22.83 Dremel 335-01 Plunge Router Attachment

Or this $30.33 Dremel 231 Shaper/Router Table

jerryd6818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jerryd6818

I guess Dremel thought with the odd size bits they could manufacture a niche in the market place.

Walk away from this. All the reasons are already mentioned. Buy yourself a regular Dremel rotary tool for the fine work. If you need something larger, pick up a DeWalt DW660 rotary tool on Amazon for $57.45 with free shipping. The DeWalt will do everything this weak sister will do and more. Plus the DeWalt has both 1/8" and 1/4" collets along with the power to get the job done.

This is no deal. It's a complete waste of money.

wapratesi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wapratesi

Sounds like the writers at Woot were watching the Star Wars marathon on Spike yesterday. Probably were reminded they had work to do despite it being a holiday right when they were thinking, "HAN SHOT FIRST! STUPID SPECIAL EDITION!"

sdc100

quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100

Oh my, it looks like Woot staff is being especially stingy giving out Quality Posts today!

jeffreydurbin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jeffreydurbin

BRILLIANT TIMING!

All of you who are looking for an excuse to give your wife for your purchase of this critical "tool", I am coming through for you.

One of the popular mods for us C5 Corvette owners is a cover for the battery den. They easily run $100 and more for a store-bought one but there are some cool homemade ones.

Yesterday (ergo the BRILLIANT TIMING comment), I bought a piece of Lexan polycarbonite (aka super-duper acrylic) from Home Depot so I can cut it down and paint it.

Here's the rationalization for your wife.

1) Google "battery den cover for the computer literate" and download and print the schematic.
2) Purchase a 3' x 4' piece of Lexan at HD for about $66. Do NOT go cheap and buy acrylic. It will break.
3) Use your new Dremel to cut the Lexan into six of the battery den covers. Sand the edges so they're smooth. Your unit cost is now $11 apiece ($66 / 6)
4) Set up accounts at the various Corvette forums and post on there that you have battery den covers for the low price of $30 or $40 apiece. You can advertise on eBay as well.
5) Offer to paint them for an additional $5. If you do this then you will need to stockpile Corvette colors because most owners want them painted body colors. PAINT THEM ON THE BOTTOM OF THE LEXAN AND NOT THE TOP. The colors look better that way.

Now you have a profit-making excuse to purchase the Dremel. (woot, you can thank me by sending me a free one.)

jeffreydurbin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jeffreydurbin
Seventy8 wrote:Me and my father have both had several dremels and the slew of attachments that go with them, but the one thing holding me back is the lack of cross compatibility.

Hell, if they just made a keyless chuck that would fit on the trio, it'd make everything dead simple.

I hate using the collets.

"My father and I have both..." ;-)

thatheard

quality posts: 6 Private Messages thatheard
sdc100 wrote:Oh my, it looks like Woot staff is being especially stingy giving out Quality Posts today!

I'm with you. Either the woot staff is sleeping in today or they've gotten a lot more serious about their criteria for PONY PONY PONY!'s. I don't think I've ever seen it get this late (0730 central) with no PONY PONY PONY!'s.

al2551

quality posts: 0 Private Messages al2551

So what the hell happened to "Two for Tuesday?"

bonniegibson

speedoo wrote:OK, except you don't have the foot with that setup. Don't you need the foot if you want to use it as a router?

The cutting guide works fine as a mini router. I use it for that purpose all the time with the 1/8" shank dremel routing burs.

bonniegibson

[quote postid="4619258" user="sdc100"]I don't know what a router foot is but Dremel makes several router and cutting attachments for their regular rotary tools. They all seem more versatile and economical than buying this Trio. Instead of the Trio, consider the following attachments. They may not cut as deep, but may be enough for most needs.

For example, this $11.52 Dremel 565 Multi Purpose Cutting Kit 565D. "The Multipurpose Cutting Kit allows for sturdy, controlled cuts in a variety of materials including: wood, ceiling tiles, drywall, laminate, fiberglass, plastic and vinyl siding."]

This cutting guide is what I was mentioning earlier. I use this as a mini router for small projects. Works just like using a regular router and costs very little to add one on to your existing regular dremel. Used with the bits shown, you can cut drywall, for wood you need to use the small Dremel router bits.

bassmanx89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bassmanx89

Does anyone know if this would work well for creating pick-up cavities in a bass or guitar?

pookiebaby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pookiebaby
kenny3552 wrote:Looking for help. Can someone tell me something great i can tell the wife that I will do with this so she lets me buy it

It can do most everything a larger tool can do, but it can do many small intricate things a larger one couldn't do. I have many accessories for this and it's one of the best investments I have every made. I'd never trade it for any thing.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 168 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

sdc100 wrote:Oh my, it looks like Woot staff is being especially stingy giving out Quality Posts today!

thatheard wrote:I'm with you. Either the woot staff is sleeping in today or they've gotten a lot more serious about their criteria for PONY PONY PONY!'s. I don't think I've ever seen it get this late (0730 central) with no PONY PONY PONY!'s.

kvanaken

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kvanaken
acanarelli wrote:I bought one of these units several months ago from a large tool retailer in Pa. I paid over $100 including tax and it is well worth the expense. Easily cuts out holes in drywall for electic outlets, light fixtures, pipes and what ever and it does it VERY easily and in a matter of seconds. Also great for small and close work on wood or thin metal. If you're looking for a tool to make life easier, this is one of them. Finally, it is very well bullt and will last a long time.

Now I attempting to justify buying another one at this great price.

Sigh.... Same here.

landsnark

quality posts: 10 Private Messages landsnark
kenny3552 wrote:Looking for help. Can someone tell me something great i can tell the wife that I will do with this so she lets me buy it

How about DNA sequencing in your own home?

http://diybio.org/blog/diy-centrifuge-using-dremel-tool

oldcqr

quality posts: 13 Private Messages oldcqr

If you are like me and like to create your own wood holiday decorations (http://www.landolights.com), a rotary tool is the ONLY way to go.

If you've tried to use a jig saw, you'll know it's a pain. I personally use a Rotozip, but lets face some facts: A spiral saw is a spiral saw.

It will take a little bit of practice, since it does like to jump around a bit (someone else mentioned that). If you are cheap like me and use OSB ($6/sheet) vs real plywood ($30/sheet), just go slow - you'll break a lot of bits if you don't. For me, I can generally get through 1 and 1/2 sheets of OSB before the bit is either too dull or breaks.

zippy99

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zippy99
zxinfinity wrote:So does this unit accept only rotary tool sized bits, or will normal router bits work as well?

Neither actually. TRIO bits are a unique shank size. Neither standard Dremel bits or 1/4" router bits will fit. You need to use the specific bits that Dremel offers.

roadhunter

quality posts: 14 Private Messages roadhunter

If you buy one, buy it because you think you'll use it. You aren't going to make any money selling these on eBay.