WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Hoo boy. Remember that "ultra stacked" team I was all excited about? Peyton Manning! Chris Johnson! Peyton Hillis! Dwayne Bowe! What were these jokers thinking, letting me draft all these great players? My confidence wasn't even shaken when it turned out Chris Johnson wouldn't play football unless everyone in the state of Tennessee gave him $100. "Feh," I thought, "I've still got Peyton 'Points Machine' Manning. And the rest of my running backs ain't bad at all." Then it turned out Peyton Manning needed some Frankenstein bolts put into his neck or his head was going to roll right off the top of his body. "Hmm," I thought, "this is going to be closer than I thought." Well it turns out my fears were unjustified because it wasn't close at all!

In fact, I got my ass pretty thoroughly handed to me. 

Screen shot 2011-09-13 at 10.38.23 AM
My witty slogan did NOTHING!

There's a lot of blame to go around, and obviously none of it is my own so I'm left to foist it on the players. Dwayne Bowe (1. Freaking. Point.), along with the rest of the Kansas City Chiefs, forgot there was a football game on Sunday. Cleveland Browns coach Pat Shurmur refused to use 240 lb. running back Peyton Hillis (8 points) near the goal line (and if you don't know American football, this would be like opting to throw away your hammer and try to drive a nail with your face instead). I knew Chris Johnson (4 points) wouldn't put up gaudy numbers since he missed all of training camp and the preseason with a contract dispute, but at the last minute I decided to play him anyway, and I was punished for it. Ben Roethlisberger (8 points) basically took my fantasy football team into a bar bathroom and forced himself on it in unspeakable ways, including THREE interceptions.

It was an all day, up and down butt kicking. 

Screen shot 2011-09-13 at 11.02.27 AM
Pro tip: there should never be zeroes on your team's point totals.

There were bright spots, though. Michael Turner put up 17 points even without scoring a touchdown and even with a fumble. Anquan Boldin (13 points) and Stevie Johnson (12 points), my receivers who actually bothered to play, put up decent numbers. Jason Witten (16 points) was on fire and could have been a difference maker had he gotten a TD or two. And Tim Hightower (15 points), a guy I picked up at the last minute as insurance against the uncertainty of Daniel Thomas (0 points, didn't even play, may have lost his chance to start), would've looked great had I not left him on the bench.

And speaking of bench, now I'm stuck with Peyton Manning, who's out for at least two months (and therefore probably half the season) with his neck injury. Yahoo has mercifully taken him off the "Can't Cut" list, allowing me to ditch him, but what if he comes back just in time for a late season push? If anyone can bounce back from a neck surgery and be just as good as he was before, my money's on Peyton Manning. I'm not a huge fan of the guy or anything, he just has a bizarre, borderline-autistic dedication and focus when it comes to studying, preparing for, and playing football. The guy's a savant.

Or maybe he just watches a lot of helpful instructional videos.

But I need performers on my team NOW. Do I cut him, so that someone else can inevitably swoop in and snatch him up and possibly burn me with him weeks down the road? Or do I absorb the roster hit and limp through the season with only one serviceable quarterback (as soon as I ditch Big Ben) and hope Manning comes back at 100%?

Currently I'm scheduled to use four of my five roster moves for the week already. I won't say who I'm picking up, because with my position in the waiver wire someone in my league who reads this could try to block me. But what to do about Peyton Manning? 

Screen shot 2011-09-13 at 11.02.41 AM
And which of these goons do I take in his place if I do drop him?

orthancstone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages orthancstone

That looks good compared to my team. Tom Brady nearly outscored my entire squad.

st89jebn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages st89jebn

With the abundance of decent QBs available on your waiver wire, you can't worry about losing Peyton Manning. Go grab Flacco or Cutler. Tolbert and F. Davis or Hernandez would be good additions for your team as well.

bfs216

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bfs216

oh sweet jesus, Flacco and Cutler are out there?! Drop Peyton for Flacco, while younger and less proven he's a more accurate passer than Cutler so he won't burn you with multiple interceptions per game (unlike Cutler).

I'd also consider dropping Dwayne Bowe. He looks good on paper but KC sucks more than a dyson vacuum. sure he'll have a few good games throughout the year but you want consistency from your players not single breakout performances.

and one last thing, see if you can trade Lee Evans for someone. No point in carrying the top 2 receivers from the same team.

jcfl1684

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcfl1684

Snatch up Cam Newton. The kid played like he'd been in the league for YEARS. Posted a solid performance against a steady defense. I'm in the same boat, but Cam had already been picked. I had to settle for Kyle Orton

woodysweats

quality posts: 1 Private Messages woodysweats

i heard that tom brady guy is pretty good, maybe you can get him?

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
bfs216 wrote:oh sweet jesus, Flacco and Cutler are out there?! Drop Peyton for Flacco, while younger and less proven he's a more accurate passer than Cutler so he won't burn you with multiple interceptions per game (unlike Cutler).

I'd also consider dropping Dwayne Bowe. He looks good on paper but KC sucks more than a dyson vacuum. sure he'll have a few good games throughout the year but you want consistency from your players not single breakout performances.

and one last thing, see if you can trade Lee Evans for someone. No point in carrying the top 2 receivers from the same team.

I would love to cut Bowe, but Yahoo won't let me.

d1sgrac3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages d1sgrac3
llandar wrote:I would love to cut Bowe, but Yahoo won't let me.

I hear that.. I had Roethlisberger, Jamaal Charles and Dwayne Bowe... I had no idea the Chiefs would be such a disaster this year, and now I'm stuck with two of my higher drafter players who will probably under perform all year... *sigh*

tarin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tarin

DO NOT drop Ben. He had a bad week and will more than make up for it next week. If by some phenomenal chance he doesn't pick it up next week then drop him.

jbreedlove

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jbreedlove

You can't cut Bowe, he'll still be good. Drop Manning because he's on the decline anyway, if the Colts are bad by the middle of the season they won't rush him back because they'd rather have the high draft pick and because you need help now.

Also, go rate your team here for some automated advice on who else you could pick up

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/rate-my-team/form.php

PhattDogg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PhattDogg

Ditto on the grab Flacco advice. Also, Tolbert is available in your league? I LOOOOOOOVE PONIES. Grab that dude and package a RB with Bowe and get a better wide reciever in a trade.

llandar

jbreedlove wrote:You can't cut Bowe, he'll still be good. Drop Manning because he's on the decline anyway, if the Colts are bad by the middle of the season they won't rush him back because they'd rather have the high draft pick and because you need help now.

Also, go rate your team here for some automated advice on who else you could pick up

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/rate-my-team/form.php

I've been looking for a website like this. Thanks for the tip!

Tiamat114

quality posts: 48 Private Messages Tiamat114

Don't feel bad about not doing well. I pretty much picked at random for my team since I don't know much about football and I too picked P. Manning. I only got 53 points so I got pretty much destroyed but it's ok, I figure someone has to come in last so everyone else feels better lol.

stingray69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69

And this is why I don't play fantasy football. This and the fact that I'm going to have a tough enough year anyway what with being a Vikings fan and all.

llandar

stingray69 wrote:And this is why I don't play fantasy football. This and the fact that I'm going to have a tough enough year anyway what with being a Vikings fan and all.

For Vikings fans, any win is purely fantasy.

jesterpb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jesterpb

I'm a Vikings fan too. McNabb was just horrible. Truly, truly horrible.

To the author, I'd say, drop Peyton and pick up Cam Newton. There is absolutely no guarantee that Peyton will be back at all this season.

llandar

jesterpb wrote:I'm a Vikings fan too. McNabb was just horrible. Truly, truly horrible.

To the author, I'd say, drop Peyton and pick up Cam Newton. There is absolutely no guarantee that Peyton will be back at all this season.

Thanks for the advice!

motospyder

quality posts: 16 Private Messages motospyder

JCFL said: I had to settle for Kyle Orton

We Denver fans think you are making a mistake choosing Orton. There is a 14-year-old girl from Dublin, Ireland, who has never even SEEN a football who could likely throw a better pass. Do yourself a favor: pick someone else.

alfbo

quality posts: 12 Private Messages alfbo

The Psycho Kitties are 1-0 despite having our #1 pick (Arian Foster) on IR. It's a PPR league and you have to field 2 qb's. I went for stud running backs and with my first 2 picks while everyone else was loading up on QB's so I ended up with Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh Freeman as my qb's. Luckily, Ryan F. decided to channel his inner Tom Brady this week and threw for 4 touchdowns. Now I've got a bunch of dinged up running backs and wide receivers. Hoping to get some healthier replacements off waivers.

Imposter Pete was Unprepared for the Almost Human Nightmare Cuckoo Clock. The Walrus and Eggmen were the Height of Envy at the Monkey Bar. See the DJ spinning records on a Flora Phonograph while simultaneously playing Rock, Paper, Scissorhold.

battlemasteraramus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages battlemasteraramus
alfbo wrote:The Psycho Kitties are 1-0 despite having our #1 pick (Arian Foster) on IR. It's a PPR league and you have to field 2 qb's. I went for stud running backs and with my first 2 picks while everyone else was loading up on QB's so I ended up with Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh Freeman as my qb's. Luckily, Ryan F. decided to channel his inner Tom Brady this week and threw for 4 touchdowns. Now I've got a bunch of dinged up running backs and wide receivers. Hoping to get some healthier replacements off waivers.

Go Fitz!
:P
p.s. I'm a PNW Bills fan. Talk about having no support around ya!

If she fakes it, she gets what she deserves.

everclear823

quality posts: 0 Private Messages everclear823

Speaking as a Giants fan. It could have been worse. You could have Eli the amazing collapsing quarterback. At least the Manning you have has an excuse, he is hurt and didn't play.

percle66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages percle66

You would be a fool to drop Bowe. One bad game doesn't make or break a season. He had 15 TDs last year and the bulk game in the second half of the season. Ride him out. Also, don't pick up Cam. He played against the Cardinals. Their defense is terrible. He needs more time to prove himself.

stingray69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69
llandar wrote:For Vikings fans, any win is purely fantasy.

Yeah, kick me while I'm down.

PackmanV29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PackmanV29
stingray69 wrote:Yeah, kick me while I'm down.

Ok. Did you notice that the only team in the NFC North that didn't win was the Vikings?

Go Pack!!!

bfs216

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bfs216
llandar wrote:I would love to cut Bowe, but Yahoo won't let me.

don't cut him, see if you can entice someone into a trade for him.

crowsnest

quality posts: 53 Private Messages crowsnest

I already laughed at you on twitter about this. Randall, if that is you real name!

TOM BRADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #Patriots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@crowsnest531

csl312

quality posts: 4 Private Messages csl312
percle66 wrote:You would be a fool to drop Bowe. One bad game doesn't make or break a season. He had 15 TDs last year and the bulk game in the second half of the season. Ride him out. Also, don't pick up Cam. He played against the Cardinals. Their defense is terrible. He needs more time to prove himself.

this is 100% correct. Don't grab Cam, as was mentioned he had one monster performance over a bad D, grab Flacco he is consistent and a very accurate passer. With Rice in the backfield and legit receiving threats he will do well. I think Cutler would even be better than Cam tbh. If you don't want Bowe then trade him and get something for him but no way would I ever drop him. I think he was overated going into the season but still a high end WR 2 at worst. Grab Tolbert as your first priority though (why was he not drafted????)

mistro311

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mistro311
st89jebn wrote:With the abundance of decent QBs available on your waiver wire, you can't worry about losing Peyton Manning. Go grab Flacco or Cutler. Tolbert and F. Davis or Hernandez would be good additions for your team as well.

Good Call. I am in a similar situation. I picked up Fitzpatrick, Tolbert, and Hernandez last night.

Also, Flacco is showing good signs this year, might be a good pickup.