belowi

quality posts: 21 Private Messages belowi

Here's a nice explanation of how it works.

jaburg

quality posts: 22 Private Messages jaburg

Love the description. That Dyson guy is a PONYPONYPONY.

Man! I love how the spellchecker caught my attempt to obscure the bad name I tried to call him. (BTW, It was a feminine hygiene device) - LOL!

danno79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danno79

I have this same fan and it works off the technology from Stargate. Here take a look....

http://www.danceresa.com/Stargate-Dyson.jpg

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

They have these Dyson fans, including the moving ones, and several dozen other fans in the 'fan' isle at Fry's. They are all turned on so as you walk down the isle you get a nice blow. When you walk past the Dyson you notice a considerable drop off of air coming your way.

The fan that really blew me away with its style and function was this intriguing little $17 Vornado Soft Blade Zippi desk fan. If you are worried about pets / kids etc. getting something stuck in the blades this fan is a better choice. It still put out a surprising amount of air even with fabric 'blades', has the 'cool' factor, and looks great! You can angle it up and down easily, it is very small and portable as well. It is rated 4 out of 5 stars at Amazon with over 170 reviews.

funnywontons

quality posts: 3 Private Messages funnywontons
missellienc wrote:Still getting 503 errors!

OK, what makes this fan so great and expensive?

you can stick your hand through it without becoming, uh, HANDicapped.

mrawr?

chadcoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chadcoe

I missed the 50 dollar tablet and now we are stuck with this all day. It was 50 percent off at a retail story a few weeks ago for $150. I'd buy this fan for $50.

viceaverse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages viceaverse

man, I know it's expensive and probably not worth it and all that, but I'm a sucker i guess: everything Dyson makes is just COOL. They never do anything the normal way, always trying to totally re-invent stuff for the better, I love it. I mean, even their hand dryers, lol: http://www.dyson.com/handdryers/ . Was anyone complaining about inefficient hand dryers? But can't deny theirs are better, and just awesome.

Same with this fan. I never had a problem with my old fan, but this thing is SWEET! If God ever graces me with more disposable income, would def consider buying at some point

jdmac44

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdmac44
masterpgc wrote:I think I would rather buy 15 ten dollar fans and create a hurricane in my bedroom.

hahaha +1!

snechla

quality posts: 1 Private Messages snechla

Oh my! The Painful buffeting of wind from a fan that cost me $15!

Better drop $250 on a "bladeless" fan!

alisai

quality posts: 6 Private Messages alisai

I've always thought that one of these would be great in a child's room - no danger of them getting fingers stuck. Seriously, it happens more than people care to acknowledge. Sigh.. kids.

Woots - Brinkmann 3 Watt Luxeon LED Aluminum Flashlight x2
Shirt.Woots - Help From Above, Random Shirt x2 (Mother & Spicy Italian Meatball), Flying

bmrbill

quality posts: 138 Private Messages bmrbill

No blades is cool.
No Buffeting??!!! Jimmy won't be happy....

nyisless13

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nyisless13
Kingu wrote:If you're in a loud office, this is a great fan. If you're anywhere else, I hope you can put up with the noise better than I can.

If it's too noisy, most Airblade buyers will be able to drown it out with their Bose WaveRadio.

jaburg

quality posts: 22 Private Messages jaburg
bkd69 wrote:You can't talk into it and make your voice sound all choppy, and really, isn't that the second best part of owning a fan?

That and stopping it with your tongue.

jenandlaw

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jenandlaw

I'm as impressed with the technology as the next guy, but I'd like to put in a good word for "buffeting". I like fans that buffet. There's nothing better than going to bed on a summer night with a fan going. Blowing the sheets and blankets. Freaking out the cats.

Best. Sleep. Ever.

I hate my avatar choices.

superstargoddess

quality posts: 2 Private Messages superstargoddess

Dang, smited by the woot gods again. Sorry woot gods!

Anyway, people are actually buying these! I am not rich, but I do have some money now (Finally! Long story, best not to ask), and as much as I want one of these fans, and this is a good price... I just can't justify spending $150 on it, even though this is half off original retail and $80 off from Amazon price.

I have heard that these are really good, but I just can't justify it. If I had $100,000 sitting in the bank instead of just around $2,000 or so, I would get this fan for sure!

I am looking to buy "Life Choices", any size, send me a message!

So fuhqued up.

sroeber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sroeber

People pay $150 for a table fan? Good for them, I guess.

Medic1joe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Medic1joe

These moderately blow cold air in a well airconditioned room.

What we do, what we do.
What we don't do doesn't get done

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind

What I'd really like to find is a floor standing fan with an "extra low" setting. I find that the typical 2 or 3 speed fans actually move too much air to be used while sleeping and make more noise than necessary doing it. If they made one with a slower setting that would reduce the noise, provide just the right airflow, and probably save a bit of electricity to boot. So far I still can't find one. I guess I should just modify our current floor standing remote control fan to reduce the voltage so instead of low, medium, high, it would do super low, regular low, and medium.

mmeyers13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmeyers13
nyisless13 wrote:If it's too noisy, most Airblade buyers will be able to drown it out with their Bose WaveRadio.

Take that, space coyote!

awnree1

quality posts: 9 Private Messages awnree1

Okay, after watching the video that woot posted regarding the fan, I think that Dyson is the place to work. They get to play around with fans and balloons! Meanwhile, I have to do other work, well, sometimes I do... guess I better stop before they find something for me to do...

twitter is the dumbest F%#$ing thing that ever happened to the internet.

91crxturbo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 91crxturbo

I've had this exact same fan for about 6 months. It's not any better than a regular $20 fan in terms of functionality or quietness. But it does look really cool....I love gismos, but at the price I wouldn't buy another one. Plus it doesn't even come with a remote....for $150 throw in a damn remote!

dedicateddad

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dedicateddad
Gatzby wrote:It's actually an issue under investigation. Apologies for any lasting mental harm it may have caused.

Count me one VERY unhappy long-term wooter.

I'm willing to bet I'm not alone either...

This and the recurring 503 errors after getting all the way to the "buy it" button on the Bundle of Crops - and....

Honestly it's put a pretty big dent in my woothusiasm!

Brutal honesty: We've all seen great businesses wrecked when some bigger-bunch took over. This ain't looking too good for Woot!

Damn shame...

Mawgy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Mawgy
curtise wrote:If everyone who buys one gets together, we can do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WNcjkZ6d0w

I'll bring the balloon.

-=C=-

When they can do it with a basketball, I'll be impressed.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind working there, seems like fun.

funnywontons

quality posts: 3 Private Messages funnywontons

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't multiplying air violate the first law of thermodynamics? if so, count me in for one. I am never one to pass up a chance to violate the laws of nature. (no OMGOMGOMGPONIESOMG PONIES!)

mrawr?

thegenius

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thegenius

If I put it on my head would it work as a blow dryer? Not gonna pay $150 for just a fan...but a fan/blow dryer/dish dryer/bathroom hand dryer would make it a solid deal!

mmeyers13

I'm old school... buffetting rules? so does buffeting.

R70Runner

quality posts: 19 Private Messages R70Runner

Anyone know how stable this thing is? looks like it wouldn't take much to get it off balance judging by the base to "multiplier" size difference.

mmeyers13

R70Runner wrote:Anyone know how stable this thing is? looks like it wouldn't take much to get it off balance judging by the base to "multiplier" size difference.

The earth's rotation will knock it over if you're not careful.

kvrdave

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kvrdave

When Woot gets a Dyson Sphere, let me know.

sasummer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasummer

It's a decent fan.. I've played with one in stores. It is dramatically overpriced for what is does; regardless if it's ancestors were hovercrafts.

superstargoddess

Kingu wrote:I really wanted a fan that would move air in a pretty cramped space, so I finally broke down and bought one of these Dysans. It was $109 at Bed Bath and Beyond (clearance). Got it home, hooked it up, and wow, it really did move the air nicely, and it was comfortable being within the airstream.

What got me was the damn noise. I just couldn't stand it. Replaced it with a tower squirrel cage style fan, got even better airflow, and half the noise, and picked up new sheets for the bed, some gadgets for the kitchen, and some towels with the remaining store credit from the return.

If you're in a loud office, this is a great fan. If you're anywhere else, I hope you can put up with the noise better than I can.

Hmm, these are louder than a basic fan of the same size? I have a fan that is literally as old as I am, and I wonder if it is louder than that.

The beast I have now:

So fuhqued up.

NewMaster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages NewMaster
viceaverse wrote:man, I know it's expensive and probably not worth it and all that, but I'm a sucker i guess: everything Dyson makes is just COOL. They never do anything the normal way, always trying to totally re-invent stuff for the better, I love it. I mean, even their hand dryers, lol: http://www.dyson.com/handdryers/ . Was anyone complaining about inefficient hand dryers? But can't deny theirs are better, and just awesome.

The hand dryer looks cool, but doesn't work any better. This fan doesn't work better either. There's no buffeting air, yes, but that's because it barely moves air at all. Like all Dyson products, you pay more for no more functionality. In my opinion, of course.

jimmyjames2306

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimmyjames2306

Its basically creates a vacuum... Doesn't even pick up dirt! NOPE

James Dunn

mmeyers13

superstargoddess wrote:Hmm, these are louder than a basic fan of the same size? I have a fan that is literally as old as I am, and I wonder if it is louder than that.

The beast I have now:

Thats what I'm talking about!!!!!!!!!!!

dedicateddad

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dedicateddad
alisai wrote:I've always thought that one of these would be great in a child's room - no danger of them getting fingers stuck. Seriously, it happens more than people care to acknowledge. Sigh.. kids.

Meh...

How else will the little bastdges learn not to be OMGOMGOMGPONIESOMG PWNIES OMGs?

Little hurts when little teach valuable lessons that help prevent bigger hurts when big!

Dad watched me stick a butter knife in and electric socket... "Man! Thst HURT didn't it son! Bet you won't do THAT again!"

He was right! - and it's probably saved my life because I learned to respect electricity!

Can't wrap the world in bubble-wrap, better let them learn to survive!

superstargoddess

forgiventhief wrote:Yeah. Don't stick your head in the middle of the hole. I've heard bad things happen. You get sucked through a wormhole and have to travel back across the galaxy to get home. And gas prices aint cheap neither.

That is one of the most awesome posts I have seen. Around being as epic as the rage pee definition.

So fuhqued up.

RazorClarity

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RazorClarity

Hmmm . . . for the same price, I can have just one of these or 8 of the little Vornados . . . tough call, tough call.

Wait, no it isn't.

perkspet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages perkspet
Gatzby wrote:It's actually an issue under investigation. Apologies for any lasting mental harm it may have caused.

Thank you for the FYI!!! I was perturbed like the other 3,500,000 wootoffers waiting for the monkey.

wupperdo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wupperdo
NortonsArk wrote:This is a great deal. I just bought one at Costco 10 days ago. They had an Instant Rebate special of $100 off, bringing the price down to $200. Woot beats them by 50 bucks. It really is a good fan and most intriquing.

Wow seriously? You must be a Dyson rep to say this is a good deal. This fan won't be a good deal 'till I see it under $20. Even then it's iffy.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

The only Dyson product that I think has the style vs function factor in balance is this awesome Dyson hand dryer. They have them at the local amusement park here and it is one of the few hand dryers that actually dry.

Sadly, at it's $1500 price tag I doubt we will see them installed at many places. There are other hand dryers which do a decent job, like those Excel Dryer ones you see a lot now, but the Dyson actually works better.