lyonessnyc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonessnyc
lyonessnyc wrote:OK, I'm looking on the TomTom Website.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products/car-navigation/xxl-550-series/?gclid=CKf5ydKJoasCFYNM4Aodo3CTlw#tab:benefits

Here's what it says:

Lifetime Traffic & Map Updates*

Enjoy a lifetime of easy driving with two great features from TomTom. Lifetime Map Updates guarantees you receive four new editions of your TomTom map each year to ensure that you are always navigating with the industry’s most up-to-date map. And, Lifetime Traffic Updates automatically sends real-time updates to your TomTom, so you can steer clear of traffic delays and take the fastest route possible to your destination. *Applies to maps of US, Canada & Mexico only. You receive non-transferable traffic data and up to four non-transferable map data updates per year until the product’s useful life expires or TomTom no longer receives map or traffic updates from its suppliers, whichever is shorter. Details and terms at www.tomtom.com/legal. Lifetime Traffic updates are available in the US and Canada only.

---------

Looks like it includes four map updates per year, for the "product's useful life," whatever that means.

ALTHOUGH, looking further at their site, there's the XXL550TM, which is touted as the model with the lifetime maps and traffic. The confusion isn't because of Woot -- the TomTome site can't make up its mind!

sbellmyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sbellmyer
ThunderThighs wrote:Absolutely. Usually, service will send out an email to people that have already ordered when there is a sale correction.

Is confirmation looking like an 8am/later thing or are we talking more like an hour?

Thanks!

Sontiago

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Sontiago
firstaccount wrote:Take a Closer Look.
If you have the Traffic Receiver, You will Notice the Wire is flat and wide [with 2 wires next to each other] and not a single wire.

You are absolutely right.. I went to my car and got mine out.. Mine has a flat wire with 2 small wires going to a big oval shape that then has the single round wire coming out.. sorry it appears this one DOES NOT have the traffic receiver!

Krumlov

quality posts: 44 Private Messages Krumlov

Can I "say" my destination to the GPS instead of type it?

I don't know what its referred to, but I would like to speak my destination instead of type it in with the keypad.

Need me some Boxes Of Condoms!

joseph321

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joseph321
ThunderThighs wrote:Absolutely. Usually, service will send out an email to people that have already ordered when there is a sale correction.

OK, just ordered one based on this assurance that I can cancel if no lifetime maps. Let's hope I don't need to do that. Thanks.

cornflakejustice

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cornflakejustice
lyonessnyc wrote:OK, I'm looking on the TomTom Website.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products/car-navigation/xxl-550-series/?gclid=CKf5ydKJoasCFYNM4Aodo3CTlw#tab:benefits

Here's what it says:

Lifetime Traffic & Map Updates*

Enjoy a lifetime of easy driving with two great features from TomTom. Lifetime Map Updates guarantees you receive four new editions of your TomTom map each year to ensure that you are always navigating with the industry’s most up-to-date map. And, Lifetime Traffic Updates automatically sends real-time updates to your TomTom, so you can steer clear of traffic delays and take the fastest route possible to your destination. *Applies to maps of US, Canada & Mexico only. You receive non-transferable traffic data and up to four non-transferable map data updates per year until the product’s useful life expires or TomTom no longer receives map or traffic updates from its suppliers, whichever is shorter. Details and terms at www.tomtom.com/legal. Lifetime Traffic updates are available in the US and Canada only.

---------

Looks like it includes four map updates per year, for the "product's useful life," whatever that means.

I think the issue is that since this is a refurb, we aren't guaranteed that they'll supply the updates for free. A lot of the folks have mentioned that in other places the refurb has NOT included the updates.

I put an order in anyway, if I really decide I don't like it without the updates I'll cancel my order after the correction has been sent out. This is still a reasonably cheap price for a GPS.

jimbobka

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimbobka

I was going to get one of these a few months ago on a sale site, but then found a new one for $100 on 1saleaday. Worth the difference since map updates are expensive (as I found on my previous TomTom.

dham2

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dham2

I had the smaller version of this, same software. Here in the Phx area there were lots of streets and addresses it didn't know, even with the latest map update. My Verizon navigator on my cheap cell phone beats the heck out of it.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

sbellmyer wrote:Is confirmation looking like an 8am/later thing or are we talking more like an hour?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, it's looking like morning. Again, I apologize.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

KyserSoze

quality posts: 18 Private Messages KyserSoze
lyonessnyc wrote:....Looks like it includes four map updates per year, for the "product's useful life," whatever that means.

It's useful life ends when it is returned to the factory and refurbished for resale.

freak6148

quality posts: 4 Private Messages freak6148
joseph321 wrote:OK, just ordered one based on this assurance that I can cancel if no lifetime maps. Let's hope I don't need to do that. Thanks.

I did too. Hopefully Lifetime is included. I have only had the TomTom XL340S for about a week and I really like it, but I want the larger display and 3d maps. I paid $5 less for the TomTom XL340S at 1 sale a day.

firstaccount

quality posts: 1 Private Messages firstaccount
Sontiago wrote:You are absolutely right.. I went to my car and got mine out.. Mine has a flat wire with 2 small wires going to a big oval shape that then has the single round wire coming out.. sorry it appears this one DOES NOT have the traffic receiver!

Yup.
That "big oval shape" Is that actual Traffic "Receiver"

No Frills Signature.

jspencer24

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jspencer24

I went ahead and ordered based on the description saying Lifetime maps. Maybe they will clear this up

djrome

quality posts: 1 Private Messages djrome

From the Ad...

FEATURES:

**Premium Maps of US, Canada & Mexico
**Latest Map Guarantee
**Lifetime Traffic & Map Updates (US, Canada & Mexico only)

THE DETAILS:

**Premium Maps of US, Canada & Mexico lets you travel confidently knowing you’re following the most accurate and dependable maps in the GPS industry

**Latest Map Guarantee: When you start using your TomTom, if a newer map release is available you can download one complimentary update to your map within 30 days from the time you first start using your TomTom device (Latest Map Guarantee is available via TomTom HOME)

**Hmmm, why is the detail around "Lifetime" mysteriously missing from ad? ;)

mherzog100

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mherzog100
firstaccount wrote:Yup.
That "big oval shape" Is that actual Traffic "Receiver"

If this is true they posted bad information in their description. I bought one for the traffic and map updates. I hope they stick to the return thing if this is true.

KyserSoze

quality posts: 18 Private Messages KyserSoze
dham2 wrote:I had the smaller version of this, same software. Here in the Phx area there were lots of streets and addresses it didn't know, even with the latest map update. My Verizon navigator on my cheap cell phone beats the heck out of it.

It was my visit to the Phoenix area that revealed the need for map updates and the $70+ for updates made me realize the value of lifetime maps. I wouldn't buy a GPS without them.

Batman4oz

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Batman4oz

And it all depends on what the definition of 'lifetime' is!

('I did Not 'go around the block' with that GPS!')

^^X^^

Wooting for Bat Capes
JUDY-ism...the Only Religion I need!
WWJD...What Would JUDY Do?!
thebatcaveofoz.us
^^X^^

Whippo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Whippo
Batman4oz wrote:They give me US/Canada/Mexico maps for free, but if I want ONLY US map, I have to BUY it, delete the original maps and install the new map, and then Continue to Pay for my 'lifetime' updates!

I don't understand, are you just so racist that having a map of Mexico is a bad thing? The mexican map doesn't take the 'merican map's job, right? I r confused.

Batman4oz

KyserSoze wrote:It was my visit to the Phoenix area that revealed the need for map updates and the $70+ for updates made me realize the value of lifetime maps. I wouldn't buy a GPS without them.

Yep...my previous GPS (Magellan) did Not have free map updates, and it didn't even show My House, which was built 6 years ago! True...I AM in the middle of nowhere, outside Phoenix. It wasn't worth paying about $80 for one year of updates...so, I bought the XXL 500TM!

^^X^^

Wooting for Bat Capes
thebatcaveofoz.us
^^X^^

torchcat

quality posts: 2 Private Messages torchcat

This unit routed me around DPW crews, flooded roads and snarled traffic while driving in the NYC area just after Hurricane Irene. Very intuitive...saved me hours of traffic jams!

Batman4oz

Whippo wrote:I don't understand, are you just so racist that having a map of Mexico is a bad thing? The mexican map doesn't take the 'merican map's job, right? I r confused.

You are beyond confused, if your first instinct is to see 'racism' here.
I have No need for either the Canada or the Mexico maps in my GPS, as I have no intention of going there.
Jeesh...some people.

^^X^^

Wooting for Bat Capes
thebatcaveofoz.us
^^X^^

blutoes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blutoes

The fact that I totally get the Tom Tom Club reference makes me feel old.

dougtaylor1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dougtaylor1
riocobra wrote:So is this the 550 or the 550TM? I'll assume the 550TM since it indicates that it includes the lifetime traffic and maps updates. But leaving off the letters could be a bit confusing.

TM would have live traffic and this does not.

stovall2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stovall2

Watched woot items for months & months but never jumped in until now....So since this is my very first woot purchase I REALLY hope it's with lifetime updates! If not, not going to be very happy

esp2k

quality posts: 0 Private Messages esp2k

The lifetime updates is the ONLY reason I bought this. If it doesn't have them, I will unfortunately have to cancel...

:-(

Oh well, I'm sure Woot will have one sooner or later...

equazcion

quality posts: 65 Private Messages equazcion

TomTom makes the best GPS devices, and the 5" XXL's are beautiful.

One thing though: "Easy Menu". Here's a brief explanation.

The 540 model had so many features that some people found the menus confusing (not me, and most tech-heads wouldn't), so TomTom decided that rather than redesign the menu to be more intuitive, they cut out many of the 540's features so the menus would be smaller. They packaged this stripped-down version as the "New 550 XXL with Easy Menu".

This model is cheaper than the 540 because, although it has this "added" Easy Menu feature, that just means it has less features. Just something to be aware of.

Other cons:

- Windshield mount sucks. You need two hands to adjust it, otherwise it falls off. I got used to it after a month. You can get one of those beanbag mounts (Amazon etc) to make things easier.

- Entering your city destination is laggy, cause as you type it searches through its entire database of cities -- and there are of course a lot of them. You have to type one letter, wait for response, then type the next. Avoidable if you enter zip codes instead; also you only need to enter city names once, since after that you can use your Previous Destinations list.

- FM Traffic sucks. You won't get much use out of it. Cellular traffic is the only traffic feature worth getting, and it's only available on much more expensive models.

Pros:

- The screen is big and gorgeous, and the unit is sleek and great-looking in general.
- Lane guidance is excellent.
- Unlike the stupid Garmins, TomTom actually tells you which road you're currently ON. This comes in handy more than you might think.
- Purchasable voices are rather high-quality and entertaining. They're recorded by actual celebrities. Yoda is especially entertaining cause he speaks the directions backwards as in the movies, like "Left you must go" etc. Kids can't get enough of it.

PS. The model with free lifetime maps & traffic is usually called 550TM (as with most TomTom models, there are T, M, and TM variants that come with Traffic, Maps, or both, respectively). This is listed as the plain 550, but the features listed show lifetime traffic + maps. Just cause I like to nitpick. Hopefully it's not a mistake. Edit:I see this question is being addressed, I posted before I read.

Have you been eating that sandwich again?

shrooki

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shrooki

Bought mine too... with the assurance I can cancel if there is no Lifetime update.

devexityspace

quality posts: 25 Private Messages devexityspace

I got this GPS from Amazon on one of their Gold Box Deals. Used it for about a month now. I love the traffic lane assist and the Free Lifetime Maps/Traffic Updates.

I still prefer my old Garmin, but this TomTom does what it's supposed to.. I purchased brand new for $75.. so this is a good deal at $55 for refurb.

Bunnies Ogling Carrots Count: 6
Todd's Dirt: 6
Monkey Count: 3
Woot Lights Count: 1
Leak Frogs: 0

stevesds

quality posts: 18 Private Messages stevesds

Bought mine too... with the assurance I can cancel if there is no Lifetime update or Traffic doesn't work.

rosydays

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rosydays
KyserSoze wrote:So if I order one based on the description that says "Lifetime Maps" and then you come in the morning and say it doesn't, can I cancel my order?

ditto!

just bought one, in on the same assumption...
hoping to get in before they sell out and if it turns out to be lifetime maps, golden!!
if not... cancel

;)

margatuti

quality posts: 0 Private Messages margatuti

Another person ordering one with the assurance that if it doesn't have lifetime map updates it can be returned.

bobotheclown420

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobotheclown420

Lifetime maps and traffic updates doesnt sound free to me... sounds more like available services... in the General Terms and Conditions for Online Sales http://www.tomtom.com/legal/?Page=GeneralTCOS

section 7 "subscriptions"

If you purchase a TomTom Lifetime Maps Subscription, you will receive up to four (4) map data updates per year, when and as such updates are made available on TomTom HOME or TomTom’s website, for one (1) compatible TomTom Product until your product’s useful life expires or TomTom no longer receives map data from its suppliers, whichever is shorter. Useful life means the period of time that your TomTom Product is serviceable and/or supportable by TomTom, including but not limited to, your TomTom Product having sufficient memory or software to accept updates to the original map data. Your TomTom Lifetime Maps Subscription may not be transferred to another person or another TomTom Product. The updates you receive under the Subscription will be updates to the same map data originally included with your TomTom Product when originally purchased. If your TomTom Product does not have sufficient memory remaining for you to load an update to the same map data originally included with your TomTom Product, you may need to select reduced map data coverage for your updates. This agreement is not a warranty, it does not alter or limit the warranty provided with your Product, and it is not intended to create any implied warranties or rights of any kind. TomTom may terminate your TomTom Lifetime Maps Subscription at any time and for any reason, including but not limited to, if you violate any of the terms of these terms and conditions.

If you purchase a TomTom Lifetime Traffic Subscription, you will receive non-transferable traffic data for one (1) compatible TomTom Product until the product’s useful life expires or TomTom no longer receives traffic updates from its suppliers, whichever is shorter. Useful life means the period of time that your TomTom Product is serviceable and/or supportable by TomTom, including but not limited to, your TomTom Product having sufficient memory or software to accept updates to the original traffic data. Your TomTom Traffic Subscription may not be transferred to another person or another TomTom Product. This agreement is not a warranty, it does not alter or limit the warranty provided with your Product, and it is not intended to create any implied warranties or rights of any kind. TomTom may terminate your TomTom Lifetime Traffic Subscription at any time and for any reason, including but not limited to, if you violate any of the terms of these terms and conditions.

equazcion

quality posts: 65 Private Messages equazcion

Um just a little aside...

I'm not sure why everyone's making such a big deal about map updates as being a deal maker-or-breaker. In the 5 years max you'll get out of any portable electronic device, the chances that roads you use are gonna change significantly enough to alter directions are pretty slim. Just saying.

Have you been eating that sandwich again?

Agro42

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Agro42

I'm in for one if it includes lifetime free maps. The roads here in Las Vegas change so fast, maps updates are necessary. Clarification please Woot.

grinningly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grinningly

So with the TomTom 130, I was able to set it up to MOO if I was speeding. It's a nice reminder on unfamiliar long stretches with minimal speed limit signage. Irritating on regular zips down the highway. But I was only able to set it up through the software - not directly on the device itself. And my husband doesn't know how to change it (insert evil laugh here) That's why I gave it to him when I got the garmin nuvi 255.

The nuvi didn't have a speeding moo option. I kind of miss it. And my dear designated driving city neighbor really misses it. Does anyone know if this Tomtom XXL550 can be made to moo at excessive speeds?

fxfuji

quality posts: 19 Private Messages fxfuji

Years ago I got my parents a top-end TomTom with the European maps to help them with their adventures in Italy and France. It was pretty sweet but I wonder whether stand-alone GPS units are in demand anymore, what with GPS in the basic feature set of practically every smartphone (and most tablets) these days.

lyonessnyc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonessnyc
equazcion wrote:Um just a little aside...

I'm not sure why everyone's making such a big deal about map updates as being a deal maker-or-breaker. In the 5 years max you'll get out of any portable electronic device, the chances that roads you use are gonna change significantly enough to alter directions are pretty slim. Just saying.

The lifetime traffic updates are the big thing for me. The maps are nice, but knowing where traffic jams are is priceless.

mambo143

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mambo143

In for one pending resolution of the lifetime maps issue. Got a Garmin here that lasted 3 years before croaking. Have been using a Mio I got here--big mistake--worse interface ever, I cannot give the thing away!

Mossard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mossard
stovall2 wrote:Watched woot items for months & months but never jumped in until now....So since this is my very first woot purchase I REALLY hope it's with lifetime updates! If not, not going to be very happy

you need to pay extra for lifetime maps; then you'll be happy. Otherwise, only 1 free update within first 30 days.

Todd Ard

snowday1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snowday1

I am hoping this has traffic and lifetime maps. Christmas shopping has begun!!!!