midairking

quality posts: 1 Private Messages midairking
Jonas4321 wrote:Nope, it was more than you that thought that.

Does this come with a cable that connects to a laptop?

1zebraup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 1zebraup

It would be awesome to take with you & your friends on a backpacking trip and surprise everyone one evening with "movie night"! Just bring a sheet or large piece of paper to act as a screen and 'voila'!

rkinnett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rkinnett
neonenergy wrote:
That's another $19.69 on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/MicroVision-SHOWWX-VGA-Dock-Adapter/dp/B003PJ34OM/ref=pd_sim_e1

A cheap VGA to RCA/S-Vid adapter can be had for $1.49 at Overstock..

-Ryan

darkomandic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darkomandic

Would IPad or Iphone blue tooth wireless earphones work while projector is hooked up to the device. Normaly the feature is off when an IPad is hooked to a TV. This is very important to me.

shakinaglory

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shakinaglory
rkinnett wrote:A cheap VGA to RCA/S-Vid adapter can be had for $1.49 at Overstock..

Amazon just ran out...I spent $25 on ebay for a new one.

shakinaglory

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shakinaglory

How does text show up on this thing?

DaveD1420

quality posts: 7 Private Messages DaveD1420
rkinnett wrote:A cheap VGA to RCA/S-Vid adapter can be had for $1.49 at Overstock..

You can get a decent quality one at Monoprice (everything they sell is quality) for $1.89 http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10430&cs_id=1043012&p_id=2509&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

davidseitzjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidseitzjr
carl669 wrote:so what's the biggest, useful, picture you can get with this thing?

for example, if i put a white sheet on the back of my house, could i invite neighbors over for movie night? or would the picture be too small?

I saw a video that achieved over 90 inches diagonal with decent picture quality. I suspect that you could have a back yard show just fine as long as you keep the lights low.

j-o-h-n

quality posts: 4 Private Messages j-o-h-n
gbinman wrote:Laser Lumens... no such thing.

Laser light is collimated to that the light is can be directed precisely which makes it appear brighter... but a lumen is still a lumen.

Here's what they are trying to get at.

1 lumen = 1 candela·steradian

so 1 'standard' candle produces 4π lumens.

A candle does not seem all that bright, but imagine through mirrors and lenses you could direct all that luminous flux into a spot the size of a laser beam. That one spot would seem quite a lot brighter than the candle.

In fact, at a reasonable viewing distance 1 "pixel" of this device might be 1/10" x 1/10" or 1/14,400 of a square foot (or about 1/180,000 of the area of a 1' sphere around a candle)

Higher prices AND crappier blanks, no thank you

nlstone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nlstone

Can this be used with the 4th generation iPod
Touch? (Info says 1st & 2nd generations)

nftc99

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nftc99
Sollaluna wrote:Will this work with my iPhone?

This thing didn't work natively with my iPhone 3g, though I'm not sure about the 4. If you look on their website, it doesn't have any of the iphones/ipads listed for this device. Here is my setup to get this working with my iPhone/iPad and watch movies on the go...

1. Apple RCA cord - http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC748ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0OQ

2. RCA to 3.5 - http://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-3-5mm-Stereo-Female-Cable/dp/B0018MI5F6/

3. 3.5 coupler - http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-03170-Stereo-Coupler/dp/B00007FGUF/

4. Orbit portable speaker - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CYKEBK

This setup has worked great for me and the projector is awesome.
(The people that say it does work might have the newer version of this projector, which I think does work with the newer iPhones/iPads.)

One thing to note, you have to adjust the screen alignment when you first get it in the mail. At first I thought this thing was broken, but it turned out I was just an poooony and needed to align the screen. Now it looks awesome.

elvis2u

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elvis2u

I don't need one but I did get a belly laugh from the description today. The last line was perfect. Nice job.

Elvis2U

sixfootgeek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sixfootgeek
karamark wrote:why is the white line running through the picture?

That would be from the camera he is using to record the video. If you record a tv or video source with most camcorders you get that.

AirForceNG

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AirForceNG

ok, I was wondering if this will work in my situation.
I currently bring a 12" laptop to my workplace gym in order for a couple of us to do P90X. We are constantly adjusting the angle of the laptop for standing vs. on the floor exercises. With this, I would think that no adjustment would be needed.
My big question is that the gym is well lit, and I cannot shut the lights off. Would this still be usable in this instance? I am not looking to increase the picture size. It would be great if I could, but not a requirement. I am more concerned with viewing in a lit room.
Thanks in advance.

ruffus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ruffus
neonenergy wrote:Waitaminute... the VGA adapter's not included? ಠ_ಠ

That's another $19.69 on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/MicroVision-SHOWWX-VGA-Dock-Adapter/dp/B003PJ34OM/ref=pd_sim_e1

-----------------------

I'm seeing it listed at $49.99 at the link you posted...Is there another adapter for $19.69?

amisueloo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amisueloo
ruffus wrote:-----------------------

I'm seeing it listed at $49.99 at the link you posted...Is there another adapter for $19.69?

It was 19.99 this morning. I got one for that price... It must have gone up now that so many wooters are picking it up.

But it was def. 19 at 1am this morning.

ruffus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ruffus
amisueloo wrote:It was 19.99 this morning. I got one for that price... It must have gone up now that so many wooters are picking it up.

But it was def. 19 at 1am this morning.

----------

I supposed this cable might be worth a try for VGA to RCA composite for only $1.62:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10430&cs_id=1043012&p_id=2509&seq=1&format=2

Stilton

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Stilton

I decided to roll the dice and get one - actual owners sound happy. I'd like to use this for projecting a Halloween window or perhaps a Pepper's Ghost illusion. Anything else will be a bonus.

bhiller05

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bhiller05
rudedawg92 wrote:I think this is wrong. I used mine fine with my iPhone 3G and it works no problem. I recently upgraded to the 4 and that obviously works too. I think it is the same with the corresponding touch devices.

Yeah, I was trying to post early in the morning with no sleep, I have edited my post. Suffice it to say, the message I meant to get across was that it works with ipod/iphone touch 3rd gen, but only with videos or photos already on the device, through the native video and photo app.

Netflix and similar third party apps, however, will only output video on the 4th gen hardware.

I am fairly sure this is accurate, according to several other more knowledgeable (than I) sources.

darkomandic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darkomandic
nftc99 wrote:This thing didn't work natively with my iPhone 3g, though I'm not sure about the 4. If you look on their website, it doesn't have any of the iphones/ipads listed for this device. Here is my setup to get this working with my iPhone/iPad and watch movies on the go...

1. Apple VGA cord - http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC748ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0OQ

2. RCA to 3.5 - http://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-3-5mm-Stereo-Female-Cable/dp/B0018MI5F6/

3. 3.5 coupler - http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-03170-Stereo-Coupler/dp/B00007FGUF/

4. Orbit portable speaker - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CYKEBK

This setup has worked great for me and the projector is awesome.
(The people that say it does work might have the newer version of this projector, which I think does work with the newer iPhones/iPads.)

One thing to note, you have to adjust the screen alignment when you first get it in the mail. At first I thought this thing was broken, but it turned out I was just an poooony and needed to align the screen. Now it looks awesome.

I'm not really sure why you need all these cables and addapters. Couldn' you just hook up the speaker to the audio out on IPhone? And your link for VGA addapter is wrong.

bobpaul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobpaul

Any video of a projector or television is going to have a line like that. The camera is storing each pixel one after another and the projector is drawing each pixel one after another. If you don't match the refresh cycle on the camera with that on the TV, you'll see this line.

wjkrysak

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wjkrysak

Any chance this could be set up with an anodrid device? (galaxy, xoom).

phillyfan6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phillyfan6
neonenergy wrote:Here's a nice video demonstration

Does it concern you that the music video being demo'd is of Miley Cyrus? Just saying...

rudedawg92

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rudedawg92
wjkrysak wrote:Any chance this could be set up with an anodrid device? (galaxy, xoom).

Yes. A friend of mine connected his to his galaxy tab with the yellow analog connector.

twhite0910

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twhite0910

Will this work with the HP Touchpad?

wjkrysak

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wjkrysak
rudedawg92 wrote:Yes. A friend of mine connected his to his galaxy tab with the yellow analog connector.

Great! Thanks, was checking the internet and was unable to confirm. Time to woot.

ProfessorOhki

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ProfessorOhki

Couldn't resist one for the price. Not for watching movies and the like, but for projecting patterns. Being able to project scale drawings is awesome.

I think the first thing I'll use it for is my pumpkin this Halloween. Just project the image onto it, then trace.

blackkiller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blackkiller
DaveD1420 wrote:You can get a decent quality one at Monoprice (everything they sell is quality) for $1.89 http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10430&cs_id=1043012&p_id=2509&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Can that adapter use?

jjdche

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jjdche

I went ahead and got one. I've been wanting to check out one of these pico projectors for a while. I don't know how much cheaper than $100 I'd be able to have a chance at one without going used.

I think the key here is to keep expectations low. If you expect this to be a 100" home theater projector, you'll probably be disappointed. If you want a 20-30" video display that you can carry in your pocket and watch in fairly light controlled situations, it's probably fine.

lebeatnik

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lebeatnik

I would be in for one although I need the HDMI so I can use it with my tablet. Also IDK if it only plays video or if it uses like a dual display as if it had a dual display option this would be AWESOME for Presentations. Also since now most of my colleagues also have either net-books or tablets and can use them in the relative dark if the wish to take notes too.

I have been looking for a pocket projector but i have yet to find one that i like and works with the devices i have (i dont like apple as much as all the accessory company's do)

Is it THAT hard to use a usb connection? With this device you need either something with video out..... idk what has that you would use a pocket projector with ..... or basically a I-something or laptop.

To me this is just another iSomething accessory

tmusson

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tmusson
rudedawg92 wrote:I think this is wrong. I used mine fine with my iPhone 3G and it works no problem. ...

You used your 3G to display Netflix? The OP was saying that prior to the 4G, iPhones are software locked to not work with things like Netflix, not that those devices won't show anything at all...

TheGogmagog

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TheGogmagog
lebeatnik wrote:I would be in for one although I need the HDMI so I can use it with my tablet. Also IDK if it only plays video or if it uses like a dual display as if it had a dual display option this would be AWESOME for Presentations. Also since now most of my colleagues also have either net-books or tablets and can use them in the relative dark if the wish to take notes too.

I have been looking for a pocket projector but i have yet to find one that i like and works with the devices i have (i dont like apple as much as all the accessory company's do)

Is it THAT hard to use a usb connection? With this device you need either something with video out..... idk what has that you would use a pocket projector with ..... or basically a I-something or laptop.

To me this is just another iSomething accessory

Agreed, I love this product if only it were PC/HDMI compatable. They could even get rid of the battery and make it plug in only. At the 300+ prices mentioned above I'll need to budget and justify it. I'd like to see one in person, the video is nice, but I can't tell how much the camera is compensating for the light levels.

madmanwithabox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages madmanwithabox

Does anybody know how long the laser diodes will last in this projector? I assume it will not last as long as a typical LED projector, since those will last 10,000+ hours. Some laser pointers only last like 1000 hours before they burn out.

vonchron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vonchron

Baba Booey is not jewish and doesnt have a daughter, get your facts straight!

Ninkumpoop

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Ninkumpoop
ProfessorOhki wrote:Couldn't resist one for the price. Not for watching movies and the like, but for projecting patterns. Being able to project scale drawings is awesome.

I think the first thing I'll use it for is my pumpkin this Halloween. Just project the image onto it, then trace.

Are you sure that you'll receive it prior to Halloween? I've had SmartPost take 3 weeks to CA. That will meet your requirements, but keep you guessing.

sdc100

quality posts: 505 Private Messages sdc100

I find it strange that the projected image shows pincushion distortion since it has no lens. You can see it on this video . The reviewer calls it bowtie distortion. It's where the sides bend inward, and as I understand it, the distortion is caused by lens.

If anything, I'd expect the opposite distortion, barreling, where the sides bend outward. That can result when projecting from a central source, since the natural path traced by the light beams would be spherical. Think old CRT monitors and TVs. I'm talking very old, even before CRTs went flatscreen, and way before LCD monitors. Think 19" TVs. The screen was roundish. That's because the electron beam emanated from the middle of the back, and natural path traced is a sphere (assuming each electron struck the phosphor with equal "energy", aka travel the same distance).

wkhill

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wkhill

So, Can I use this to project my HBO Go from my Ipad 2?

rudedawg92

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rudedawg92
tmusson wrote:You used your 3G to display Netflix? The OP was saying that prior to the 4G, iPhones are software locked to not work with things like Netflix, not that those devices won't show anything at all...

Geez, I can't remember if I used Netflix with the 3G. I know I used YouTube (Daddy, daddy, show us "Double Rainbow" one more time!) and iTunes.

himynameisthor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages himynameisthor

That only counts if your video card is already capable of converting its output from VGA to Composite (YUV color space), otherwise you need a bit of electronics to do the realtime transcoding. For example: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=4724&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

thetmaxx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thetmaxx

Isn't the more important question why is this man watching Miley Cirus?