F0rSaken

quality posts: 4 Private Messages F0rSaken
dbcooper wrote:There was no 1400 baud. 1200 was the next step up from 300.

1200 sounds about right actually. I guess I got mixed up with 14.4 but that was years later...

--
'Signature lines are nothing more then wasted space... Just like this one'

dyaballikl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dyaballikl
toddinfl wrote:A thumbdrive?!? Really? I thought everything was moving to the clouds.

I live in a dorm room and get 100KBps internet. Cloud storage isn't very practical for people like me yet.

chihitman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chihitman
suckblat wrote:I don't want to know what people are doing with this that it needs to be waterproof.

In case you pee your pants!

dclufkin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dclufkin
danwat1234 wrote:Are you high? At 3MB/s it would take 6 hours to back this thing up!
I'll take a 750GB 7200RPM laptop drive in an external enclosure instead h-e-h. It has more like a 100MB/s transfer speed, well 130MB/s on the outer edge of the platters anyway

Centon's site quotes 3MB/s. I calculate just over 46 minutes to fill 64G: 3MBytes/sec = 24Mbits/sec = 46.37 minutes. Not too bad.

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234
garyhgaryh wrote:Don't you mean inner platters?

No, the circular velocity is highest at the outer edge of the platters... The Western Digital 750GB 7200RPM laptop drive can read/write at about 130MB/s on the outer edge (where velocity is highest) ...~70MB/s on the inner edge of the platters

danwat1234

dclufkin wrote:Centon's site quotes 3MB/s. I calculate just over 46 minutes to fill 64G: 3MBytes/sec = 24Mbits/sec = 46.37 minutes. Not too bad.

Uh, 64000MB = capacity of the thumbdrive.
64000/3 = 21333.3 seconds, / 3600 = 5.9 hours

YaWoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages YaWoot
fuzzy103 wrote:I remember using a computer with two 5 1/4 inch floppy disks, no hard drive.

My first computer use tape (cassette) to store my BASIC program. It was an Apple computer.

CujoQuarrel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CujoQuarrel
sdcaclint wrote:my first computer had a 120 MB hdd. I'm feeling really old now.

Mine had a 40

(actually my first computer had a cassett tape drive.)

strauch1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages strauch1

Some fish finders have USB and/or SD slots for maps. This would be good for that environment. And yes, probably good for running through the washing machine when you forget to take it out of your pocket.

TimothyKaufenberg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TimothyKaufenberg
jgary wrote:You kids today. My TRS-80 Model I was decked out with 48K of RAM. IIRC a floppy held 86K of data. I thought I'd never fill one up.

My first laptop had 2 3 1/2 drives - no hard drive. The program disk went in drive a and data disk in drive b. The disk capacity was 750 kb I think

hamjudo

quality posts: 9 Private Messages hamjudo
danwat1234 wrote:Uh, 64000MB = capacity of the thumbdrive.
64000/3 = 21333.3 seconds, / 3600 = 5.9 hours

This could be part of a plot device in a high tech thriller. The good guys could fill the thumb drive with 64 Gbytes of Milli Vanilli MP3s, then replace ten randomly chosen songs with the plot critical information split into ten pieces. Then when the bad guys get the thumb drive, their super duper black hat crypto geniuses can easily decypher and reconstruct the information, but only after they finds all ten files on the thumb drive. This means they have to read the whole drive, and that takes 5.9 hours.

The good guys then get to destroy the death star, or whatever, while the bad guys are still reading the thumb drive.

Or you can reverse it and have the bad guys do the clever data hiding, and the good guys bypass the scheme.

RedDawg

quality posts: 3 Private Messages RedDawg
sultana2782 wrote:Too funny! Or maybe a pair of steel toed house slippers.

Based on the number of times I have stubbed my toe on a piece of furniture while wearing my [bunny ear] slippers, these might actually be useful.

cjpowers

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cjpowers
abellee wrote:In the spirit of can you top this, my first computer was a slide rule. And no, I did not carry it clipped to my belt like the true nerds in the Engineering school.

I even had to take a course called Graphical Methods in Engineering where we made nomographs and even dedicated slide rules where you bought wood blanks at the Book Store and glued the scales we drew in India Ink on poster board to them.

My senior year we had a course where you programmed a computer by plugging in resistors and capacitors to solve differential equations.

My first job had me lugging a box ( or ten ) of punch cards up to big blinky to process. Picked up the print out the next day. If you ever dropped the box, there went a day or two of work.

Cheers

hyuk, I love it. Everyone is playing "I am a bigger geek than you."

(I myself am a medium-sized geek)

stickywicket

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stickywicket
toddinfl wrote:Facebook sucks! Watch it'll turn out to be the company that becomes Skynet from the Terminator movies. Facebook is the beginning of the end for humans.

I hate InYourFacebook with a passion. Five hundred million humanoids without real friends is what it's all about.

randypj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages randypj
rosen380 wrote:Transferring 10x 6GB movies:
* Even at 10 MB/s [you said over, not how far over], it would take about 20 minutes to copy two files to your drive. Then take out the USB stick, go downstairs to the other device, wait another 20 minutes for the files to copy to that machine. Then take it out again and repeat five times, or
* transfer all 10 movies at 3MB/s, about 5.5 hours and then another 5.5 hours downstairs.

The former means that you are going back and forth, pretty much working on it constantly for over three hours. The latter can be done in two batches. Set it up to copy and run over night and then do the second transfer in the same way in the morning.

Even though it is taking a lot longer, it is also requiring a lot less of your personal time.

rosen380, you are 'zactically correct. I have a couple of their 32GB. They are VERY noticeably slooooow in writes, but fine reading any video/audio type of file in my Western Digital USB TV player thingy. Never, ever had a hitch with a read of any file. I just have to 'member to start 6 or 8 large file copies to it the night before. For me the price/size/slow write trade off is well worth it. Listening to a few thousand mp3s off it right now....um, one at a time.

What is still totally amazing to me, is the $50 refurb WD USB player thingy. Plays so many more file types than it is supposed to. Can anyone tell me how it automagically knows my TV is not an HDTV, but still plays HDTV files to it just fine, without any adjustment from me? For $50, or even $100 non-refurb, how could WD pack that many decoder codecs into the thingy?

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle
Meatetarian wrote:Waterproof... for people who want to hide unscrupulous data in the sump pit?

No. For people that drop things in water like their cell phones. I've heard of it happening many a time to others. I'm happy to say I haven't done it but it's an extra with this thumb drive. Why are you complaining about it?

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

omron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages omron

Even though woot claims to accept paypal, don't bother trying, cuz they really don't. Seems they use the paypal option to get you to sign-on with a CC or other personal info that other online retailers won't.

leeyenming

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leeyenming

Veryyy slllooowwwwwwwwwwww....zzzzzzzz

jironimo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jironimo

Looks like Centon still hasn't figured out a way to attach the cap to the stick so it doesn't disappear into nowhere. Must be a high tech problem that hasn't yet been solved.

Plus, why can't they put encryption on it? How much more could that possibly cost?

John1000

quality posts: 19 Private Messages John1000

Ok. Since we are all trying to show up each other here, I used a big 8 inch floppy drive on a Terak machine my first year in college. I wielded around such a big floppy only to hold 1 meg of data.

clearskiestomt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages clearskiestomt
dyaballikl wrote:I live in a dorm room and get 100KBps internet. Cloud storage isn't very practical for people like me yet.

I got bandwidth caps. The idea of paying for content, paying to download it, then paying again to upload it to the cloud, and paying AGAIN every time I want to access it... I'll just pass on the whole cloud thing, thanks.

Anybody got a spare slide rule?

brucedoesbms

quality posts: 158 Private Messages brucedoesbms

Ya want SLOW and OLD?... how 'bout the good ol' 5081 punch card with "up to" 80 alphanumeric characters?...
(by the way, this one says, "if you know what I'm sayin, then OMGOMGOMGPONIESOMG PONIES!! off,otherwise try to count the number of" characters (disregarding the inept woot! filtration system) to see if I have exceeded my capacity -- within the quotation marks is the 80 alphanumeric characters relegated to the medium...

Oh, yeah -- you can process multiple 5081's in one of THESE:

WHILE READING THE PAPER!!!

Oh, yeah! Ponies, my ass!

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "

matthazlip

quality posts: 1 Private Messages matthazlip

I have one of these drives and LOVE it, but dont go scuba diving with it. It's good for a rain storm or other similar issues ( though I've run countless USB drives through my laundry so I guess this may be a non-problem). Whatever your situation, my Centon has performed well. I've baked it on my front seat for days on end, It showered at the gym and went through the wash the same day (with ample time to dry {72 hrs}). Everything was still good. FYI_ the casong skips off without much effort so be careful there,

duanekimball

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duanekimball

SLOW!!!!
Imagine how long it would take to write all 64GB @ 3MB/sec..let's do the match:

64GB=64*1024MB
So that's 65536MB
65536MB/3MB/sec=21845 sec or 6 hours!

yenchen007 wrote:Is 3MB/s READ and WRITE fast or slow?

Took the following from Centon's website.

Amazon and Newegg have it at a higher price and the warranty on the item sold by Amazon and Newegg only carries a 2 YR warrant. This one here at Woot is Lifetime warranty.

Product Specs
Technology: Waterproof USB
Capacity: 64GB
Interface: USB 2.0
Speed: Standard Speed
Write Speed: 3 MB/s
Read Speed: 3 MB/s
RoHS: Yes
Color: Black
Operating Temp: Commercial (0 to 70 C)
Application: Consumer

Part Number : DSW64GB-001
Harmonized Code: 8523.51.0000
UPC: 731969404089
Warranty: Lifetime
Packaged Dimensions: H 6.50 x W 4.38 x D 0.75
Bulk Dimensions: H 2.51 x W 0.88 x D0
Packaged Weight: 0.0800

gyrfalcon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gyrfalcon
yenchen007 wrote:Is 3MB/s READ and WRITE fast or slow?
Took the following from Centon's website....
Write Speed: 3 MB/s
Read Speed: 3 MB/s

I might have messed up my calculations, but for 64GB, it'll take a good 6 hours to transfer data on/off of the device.

trinx01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trinx01
TheTexasTwister wrote:I had one of those. A Tandy/Radio Shack 64K TRS-80 Color Computer II . It used three methods of storage/input.
1. Magnetic audio tape
2. Cartridges
3. Floppy Disk Drives (way back when they were actually floppy and 5 1/4 inches)

It had no hard drive and possessed a meager 64 KB of memory. It did not have a dedicated monitor. Instead you connected it to your television set.

I loved it back then. Of course, looking back I wonder how I ever got anything done with that thing. I was writing a report once, and as the memory filled up it merely deleted older text to allow room for the new text.

I didn't give up my typewriter until I got a Mac SE/30. But I had to pay a huge fee to add 4 megs of RAM to upgrade from the existing 1 MB that it came with out of the factory.

(I feel so old now. Where is my AARP pillow so I can weep quietly?)

Bwahaha, I had one of these! Our next computer was a PineComm (can't even find it on the interwebs), a cheap version of a Commodore 64 that was made in Hawaii or some The Day the Ponies Come Back (2000). Do you know how many obnoxious dot matrix banners my brothers and I made? ;)

Woot loves me. It's true, they do: http://www.woot.com/blog/viewentry.aspx?id=6608

auggie46

quality posts: 1 Private Messages auggie46
TimothyKaufenberg wrote:My first laptop had 2 3 1/2 drives - no hard drive. The program disk went in drive a and data disk in drive b. The disk capacity was 750 kb I think

...talk about ANCIENT: i've got IBM PC s/n 63 up in my attic ~ 1x 5 1/4 floppy, 64Kb ram memory, dos os, b/w monitor, yeah try that one on for size! oh, almost forgot a 10Mb hard drive, i believe.

baqui63

quality posts: 8 Private Messages baqui63

Well, it was certainly fun reading through all the comments about people's old and not so old (anything post-1985 really isn't all that old).

Any of you from NYC remember the Digibyte Computer Store at 31 E 31st Street in Manhattan (late 70's and early 80's)? That was a fun place to work, especially just out of high school with no desire to go on to college. (I remember when I sold the last TI99/4A we had in stock... There was much rejoicing, as the things were NOT easy to sell.)

erhii

quality posts: 1 Private Messages erhii
brucedoesbms wrote:Ya want SLOW and OLD?... how 'bout the good ol' 5081 punch card with "up to" 80 alphanumeric characters?...

Oh, yeah -- you can process multiple 5081's in one of THESE:

WHILE READING THE PAPER!!!

What's a "paper?"

erhii

quality posts: 1 Private Messages erhii
baqui63 wrote:Well, it was certainly fun reading through all the comments about people's old and not so old (anything post-1985 really isn't all that old).

Any of you from NYC remember the Digibyte Computer Store at 31 E 31st Street in Manhattan (late 70's and early 80's)? That was a fun place to work, especially just out of high school with no desire to go on to college. (I remember when I sold the last TI99/4A we had in stock... There was much rejoicing, as the things were NOT easy to sell.)

I had two TI99s, good times.

brucedoesbms

erhii wrote:What's a "paper?"

The thing in his hands that is not a stylus...

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "

rydethis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rydethis

WOW!! My head hurts!! I still don't know if this is a good buy or not lol I guess I'll pass!! my first computer was a Commador 64 and it also had a tape cassett!! lol

Touch me in the morning!!

brucedoesbms

rydethis wrote:WOW!! My head hurts!! I still don't know if this is a good buy or not lol I guess I'll pass!! my first computer was a Commador 64 and it also had a tape cassett!! lol

You mean the Commodores of 64?... or was it '74?

TheTexasTwister

quality posts: 12 Private Messages TheTexasTwister

You want old? THIS is old

Charles Babbage's Difference Engine The first mechanical calculator.

littleredcar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages littleredcar

Why did I get charged Sales tax?

brucedoesbms

TheTexasTwister wrote:You want old? THIS is old

Charles Babbage's Difference Engine The first mechanical calculator.

Awesome, AWESOME... however, MY feeling is that, although we admire, cherish, and honor the primordial MECHANICAL computational devices, we, as woot!erites admire, cherish, and honor ELECTRONIC computational devices... otherwise, there would be many REFURBISHED abaci offered on this site...

danwat1234

hamjudo wrote:This could be part of a plot device in a high tech thriller. The good guys could fill the thumb drive with 64 Gbytes of Milli Vanilli MP3s, then replace ten randomly chosen songs with the plot critical information split into ten pieces. Then when the bad guys get the thumb drive, their super duper black hat crypto geniuses can easily decypher and reconstruct the information, but only after they finds all ten files on the thumb drive. This means they have to read the whole drive, and that takes 5.9 hours.

The good guys then get to destroy the death star, or whatever, while the bad guys are still reading the thumb drive.

Or you can reverse it and have the bad guys do the clever data hiding, and the good guys bypass the scheme.

Haha!

theshadow62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theshadow62
sdcaclint wrote:my first computer had a 120 MB hdd. I'm feeling really old now.

you guys aren't old, my first computer had an 80 megabyte hard drive!!!

ajthekj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ajthekj

Havent heard a word of shipping or when it was supposed to arrive.....NO PHONE SUPPORT>?????? NO EMAIL advising of shipping or not????? What's that about?????

philnc44

quality posts: 0 Private Messages philnc44

Yes to all the above. Love and hope that it gets here before I expire permanently.

Phil