DSuds

quality posts: 3 Private Messages DSuds
SevenStarSonata wrote:My first laptop, back in 2005, had a 60 GB hard drive. I'm not sure whether to marvel at technology or feel very, very old.

I remember thinking "What would I need a winchester drive for? I've got a 1.2M floppy now!"

So hopefully you no longer feel old.

--
Tried to kick my shirt.woot habit after buying 25 faster than I could store them. Now I have 19 regular woots, 2 wine woots and a Bucket of Candycorn and wine can't even be delivered to me.

coffeenogrumpy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages coffeenogrumpy
toddinfl wrote:Facebook sucks! Watch it'll turn out to be the company that becomes Skynet from the Terminator movies. Facebook is the beginning of the end for humans.

shoosh.. hey look! pretty lights

thanks thunderthighs

oh, and i'm getting the dipstick thingy for my kid, he's gone high schoolin'

alysseumwarrior

quality posts: 13 Private Messages alysseumwarrior
abstevens wrote:Here is a link to a youtube review:

More like a description of the product than a review. Did any of the people linking to this "review" actually watch it?

elliottm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elliottm
sdcaclint wrote:my first computer had a 120 MB hdd. I'm feeling really old now.

you whippersnappers. my first computer had 1KB of memory but was upgraded to 16KB - so much memory! look it up - the sinclair zx-81.

i am suddenly feeling very old.

sdc100

quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100

Great price; not sure about quality though. I have smaller Centon USB memory thingies and they have been just fine. There's always a question about speed. With cheaper models, it's always iffy whether the memory will match the claimed speed and testing has shown that many do not. Reliability is also an issue.

Here are some tests you can use:

http://www.usb.org/developers/tools/

http://www.hdtune.com/

http://www.jungo.com/st/usb_testing.html?gclid=CPPcl9ef_pMCFRghnAodJFI0Xg

fuzzy103

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fuzzy103
SevenStarSonata wrote:My first laptop, back in 2005, had a 60 GB hard drive. I'm not sure whether to marvel at technology or feel very, very old.

I remember using a computer with two 5 1/4 inch floppy disks, no hard drive.

Greshmahg

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Greshmahg

The reliability of this brand is not good in general, but I have found one really good use for these (as an IT engineer): They're great for loading up things like Engineer's Toolset from Solarwinds or your other "on the go" tools onto. Sure, the data might end up corrupted, but the gigs per dollar is a steal and it's a relatively pain-free process to re-load onto another stick if one craps out on you, since you don't have to worry about any truly sensitive data being lost on them.

....I'd certainly never trust my tax records or other important information on Centon, though.

Numinak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Numinak
jgary wrote:You kids today. My TRS-80 Model I was decked out with 48K of RAM. IIRC a floppy held 86K of data. I thought I'd never fill one up.

You kids today! I remember when my Vic20 had a huge cartridge for 16k memory expansion!

Woots: Philips ShoqBox 512MB MP3 Personal Sound System
Sandisk 1GB Media Player with FM Tuner and Voice Recorder 1
Sandisk Sansa M240 1GB MP3 Player with FM Tuner x2
Wireless FM Transmitter - 2 Pack
Sandisk Sansa e260 4GB Media Player
Soyo Freestyler Bluetooth Stereo Headset with Transmitter

azsteved

quality posts: 8 Private Messages azsteved

I can't find class/read-write rates anywhere. I'd say you can presume it will be slow.

oldgoat99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages oldgoat99

Either way, this is a kickass deal.

My first luggable portable, circa 1978, had 8k of memory, and anything in it was lost when you unplugged the 26-pound monster. Strictly write-and-send for newspaper reporters. Transmission was via acoustic couplers at 300 baud. And it cost $3,000 -- that's over $10,000 in today's dollars.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 592 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jgary wrote:You kids today. My TRS-80 Model I was decked out with 48K of RAM. IIRC a floppy held 86K of data. I thought I'd never fill one up.

And if you happened to call customer service on that TRS-80 Model I, you might have talked to me!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

John1000

quality posts: 19 Private Messages John1000

USB 2.0 is going to be considered old technology soon - 3.0 is really the current technology. USB 2.0 has a slow transfer rate which is only amplified as the storage size increases. But if you plan on storing only small chunks of data at a time, it'll work quite well. But if you want to transfer a large chunks of data in one operation, plan on waiting a while.

Having said that, this device has an incredible amount of storage. I remember buying a 1.2 GB internal IDE hard drive for over $200. If this device is reliable, it's a nice way to backup your most critical data and throw it in a fireproof/waterproof safe for peace of mind. That is what I'm thinking of using it for.

sunnyside101

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sunnyside101

You guys are a HOOT. You want to sound old, well I sure do. My first computer had 2-8" floppies. My first laptop had 2-3.5 floppies. My first computer had no word processor so I used the Pascal editor as a word processor.

davidfawcett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidfawcett

Could there be a more useless review?

No speeds, no seek time! And lousy fingernails!

I am surprised she didn't tell us it was "black"!

infamouslunchbox

quality posts: 1 Private Messages infamouslunchbox

My first computer had 64K of memory, and a tape cassette memory expansion. I started feeling old when laptops stopped weighing between thirty to fifty pounds.

likeaferio

quality posts: 1 Private Messages likeaferio

If it's anything like their SD cards, this is going to be painfully slow.

bogus

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bogus

$0.86 per GB, if anyone was wondering. A 16GB runs about $20--$1.25 per GB. Excellent value.

cellistpilot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cellistpilot

Way way back, in 1983, I bought an expansion unit for my 8088 IBM PC. It had, I kid you not, two 10 megabite hard drives in it and it cost a fortune. I bet you don't feel old anymore.

skitzoette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skitzoette

Eh, I'm in for one..to store the 9,820 pictures i have on here of my cat.

comma

quality posts: 12 Private Messages comma

Not a review. Maybe, an overview.

EDIT: Didn't see previous comments. Wasn't trying to pile on.

hmcib

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hmcib

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5238939&CatId=3787

half off on woot in 4 One :P

funkadunk8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages funkadunk8

*sits down, waiting for everyone to complain about how the cap will fall off.*

Joseph Funk

sucre98

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sucre98
elliottm wrote:you whippersnappers. my first computer had 1KB of memory but was upgraded to 16KB - so much memory! look it up - the sinclair zx-81.

i am suddenly feeling very old.

That's nothing. My first computer was an abacus. I never thought I would need more than 91 bytes of RAM.

lete

quality posts: 23 Private Messages lete

My first laptop had a 75Mhz processor.

skou

quality posts: 21 Private Messages skou

My first was an OLD computer, it had 2, 5 1/4 floppies. NO HDD at all. It was a true IBM Clone, and billed as such. I've had cars that cost less!

steve

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 38 Private Messages jiggersgreen

My first computer was a pencil!

rkenimer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rkenimer

How long ago did Woot stop accepting e-check as payment via PayPal? As far as I know, that's the way I have always payed.

Apparently it's fashionable to have a signature.

abstevens

quality posts: 10 Private Messages abstevens
alysseumwarrior wrote:More like a description of the product than a review. Did any of the people linking to this "review" actually watch it?

Yes, I watched it before posting. Granted it is not the most informative info, but I don't think you are going to find much more in video form. It is just one piece to the puzzle.

vegasmaven

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vegasmaven

I Remember the "Fat Mac" with 512K memory (up from the original 128K!)

sflorack

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sflorack

Holy crap! What did the girl in the video review do to her fingers? Looks like she put them through a wood chipper!

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

Don't look too closely at the spokesperson's fingers in that video!

infamouslunchbox

quality posts: 1 Private Messages infamouslunchbox

I remember these! If I read this right (http://tinyurl.com/3ps2xmb) they actually held up to about 270K! That was a crap ton of memory. I doubt I could have comprehended filling one of these bad boys back in the day. :D

inod3

quality posts: 6 Private Messages inod3
TrifeVT wrote:I don't know if there has ever been a time where I've wished that my USB drive was waterproof... Seems like a weird combination. Like a bulletproof dishwasher.

OMGOMGOMGPONIESOMG, who sells a bulletproof dishwasher? DO WANT!

azsteved

quality posts: 8 Private Messages azsteved

This is the way I roll:

https://www.ironkey.com/demo-personal

yenchen007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yenchen007

Is 3MB/s READ and WRITE fast or slow?

Took the following from Centon's website.

Amazon and Newegg have it at a higher price and the warranty on the item sold by Amazon and Newegg only carries a 2 YR warrant. This one here at Woot is Lifetime warranty.

Product Specs
Technology: Waterproof USB
Capacity: 64GB
Interface: USB 2.0
Speed: Standard Speed
Write Speed: 3 MB/s
Read Speed: 3 MB/s
RoHS: Yes
Color: Black
Operating Temp: Commercial (0 to 70 C)
Application: Consumer

Part Number : DSW64GB-001
Harmonized Code: 8523.51.0000
UPC: 731969404089
Warranty: Lifetime
Packaged Dimensions: H 6.50 x W 4.38 x D 0.75
Bulk Dimensions: H 2.51 x W 0.88 x D0
Packaged Weight: 0.0800

crabclaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crabclaw
skou wrote:My first was an OLD computer, it had 2, 5 1/4 floppies. NO HDD at all. It was a true IBM Clone, and billed as such. I've had cars that cost less!

steve

that's nothing, my first computer's hard drive really was hard, a slab of granite with a chisel, no hammers back then...it held 8 tons of data.

bary

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bary

My first:

Timex Sinclair 1000
Introduced: July 1982
Price: US $99.95
How many? 500,000 in first 6 months
Weight: 12 ounces
CPU: Zilog Z80A, 3.25MHz
RAM: 2K, 64K max
Display: 22 X 32 text
hooks to TV
Ports: memory, cassette
Peripherals: Cassette recorder
T/S printer

deepthoughts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deepthoughts
suckblat wrote:I don't want to know what people are doing with this that it needs to be waterproof.

Some people have more "body moisture" than others. But seriously, people lose thumb drives all the time, 64GB is a lot of data to lose between the sofa cushions.

JohnnyDD

quality posts: 4 Private Messages JohnnyDD
oldgoat99 wrote:My first luggable portable, circa 1978, had 8k of memory, and anything in it was lost when you unplugged the 26-pound monster. Strictly write-and-send for newspaper reporters. Transmission was via acoustic couplers at 300 baud. And it cost $3,000 -- that's over $10,000 in today's dollars.

You youngies. My Atari 400 had cassete backup and later, a 5 inch floppy. My first modem was 150 baud. When I got the upgrade firmware for 300 baud, I was in heaven. Geeeezz, it's really fast now.
I video taped and edited one of the first major DTP software (Desk Top Publishing)video for XEROX. Remember Ventura Publisher?

jaekim86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaekim86

LOL. I couldn't afford to buy a 4-function calculator because it was in the hundreds of dollars ($300?).