theoneill555

quality posts: 56 Private Messages theoneill555

Anyone find any reviews on this? The only ones I found on were on Amazon Amazon Reviews

That's O'neill with two L's *holds up three fingers*

likeaferio

quality posts: 1 Private Messages likeaferio
yenchen007 wrote:Is 3MB/s READ and WRITE fast or slow?

Took the following from Centon's website.

Amazon and Newegg have it at a higher price and the warranty on the item sold by Amazon and Newegg only carries a 2 YR warrant. This one here at Woot is Lifetime warranty.

Product Specs
Technology: Waterproof USB
Capacity: 64GB
Interface: USB 2.0
Speed: Standard Speed
Write Speed: 3 MB/s
Read Speed: 3 MB/s
RoHS: Yes
Color: Black
Operating Temp: Commercial (0 to 70 C)
Application: Consumer

Part Number : DSW64GB-001
Harmonized Code: 8523.51.0000
UPC: 731969404089
Warranty: Lifetime
Packaged Dimensions: H 6.50 x W 4.38 x D 0.75
Bulk Dimensions: H 2.51 x W 0.88 x D0
Packaged Weight: 0.0800

Very slow!!!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220506
up to 27mb/s read and 25mb/s write

skou

quality posts: 21 Private Messages skou

About Centon. It is almost Fry's "generic" brand. While I haven't purchased this device, 'm NOT going to purchase ANYTHING labeled Centon, that I would value.

I have had NUMEROUS blank CDs die after only 1 or 2 uses. (Fry's had a KILLER sale, and I bought a BUNCH, a long time ago. At least, the jewel cases didn't die!)

steve

livarchuksimon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages livarchuksimon

Sure its big, but what are the transfer speeds?

likeaferio

skou wrote:About Centon. It is almost Fry's "generic" brand. While I haven't purchased this device, 'm NOT going to purchase ANYTHING labeled Centon, that I would value.

I have had NUMEROUS blank CDs die after only 1 or 2 uses. (Fry's had a KILLER sale, and I bought a BUNCH, a long time ago. At least, the jewel cases didn't die!)

steve

Centon is sold at microcenter.com, a Fry's competitor.
I don't think it's Fry's generic brand.

I too wouldn't buy this to store anything of value.
It'd be a good stick for music storage if your car's stereo offers usb input.

jannypop

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jannypop

That "review" chick has hands like she cuts her nails with a santoku knife; and her voice grates on my ears like a dry, rusty door hinge.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

justmenan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justmenan
sdcaclint wrote:my first computer had a 120 MB hdd. I'm feeling really old now.

Well if you feel old, my first computer had 2 X 5 1/4 Floppy Drives. I know most of you probably don't know what I'm talking about. It was the mid 70's. LOL

Just wasting time!

Altazi

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Altazi

Be cautious. Just saying "USB 2.0" doesn't specify the speed. The manufacturer says "USB 2.0 standard speed," which is not technically a proper speed callout. USB 2.0 supports high speed (480 Mbps), full speed (12 Mbps), and low speed (1.5 Mbps). The manufacturer gives this drive's read & write speeds as 3 MB/s. At 3 MB/s it will take about six HOURS to completely transfer 64 GB of data.

John1000

quality posts: 19 Private Messages John1000
sflorack wrote:Holy crap! What did the girl in the video review do to her fingers? Looks like she put them through a wood chipper!

LOL. You are soooooo correct. I bet most people just look at her face, but those fingers are hideous. I'd be afraid to date her with fingers like that. On the other hand, maybe she is really into her job and wanted to check out the product she was promoting and tried ripping open the the package with her bare hands. For that, I give her (bleeding) thumbs up.

azsteved

quality posts: 8 Private Messages azsteved

It is very, very slow.

yenchen007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yenchen007
likeaferio wrote:Very slow!!!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220506
up to 27mb/s read and 25mb/s write

likeaferio,
Thank you. I wonder if it is typo... will Google more about it.

tirk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tirk
SevenStarSonata wrote:My first laptop, back in 2005, had a 60 GB hard drive. I'm not sure whether to marvel at technology or feel very, very old.

Either way, this is a kickass deal.

my first was an ibm clone in 1980 something. I was like 12.

the hard drive was 20 megs.

madmanwithabox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages madmanwithabox

To all of you old timers, my first computer was a rock and a stick. Then we upgraded when we discovered Fire. I win. :P

If this is a class 3 flash memory, and this is 64 gigs, it will take you over 6 HOURS to write and fill it up, assuming the drive can keep up the sustain writes without overheating. 3 megabytes means also very slow reading, you may experience stuttering if you plan to watch high bit rate movies or p O r n on it.

likeaferio

yenchen007 wrote:likeaferio,
Thank you. I wonder if it is typo... will Google more about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it really is 3mb/s.

I have a 32gb class 10 SD card from Centon.
It writes on avg 8MB/s.
Class 10. 8MB/s. FAIL.

Charlietrent

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Charlietrent

Does anyone know if this supports Readyboost?

Blacksunshine420

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Blacksunshine420
SevenStarSonata wrote:My first laptop, back in 2005, had a 60 GB hard drive. I'm not sure whether to marvel at technology or feel very, very old.

Dude you wanna talk old. 2mb RLL drives. The things were as big as 2 cd drive bays.
RAM came in Kb's and not GB's
I remember when 16 MB ram SIMMS were about $1600.00.
And we had to walk both ways up hill in the snow. Just to get to school.

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

Seriously people -- Will someone please tell me why I need a 64 GB USB drive so I can go ahead and buy one.

What the heck do you do with this thing?

bitman

quality posts: 14 Private Messages bitman

Just do the math: 64000 MB divided by 3 MB/s is 6 hours to fill the thing.

toddbeall

quality posts: 2 Private Messages toddbeall

Well, my first computer (1984) had two 360K floppy drives and no hard drive! A few years later I upgraded to one with a whopping 10 mb hard drive, and thought I was in heaven.

Interested in this woot, but worried about the reliability of Centon.

nosejuice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nosejuice

Took the following from Centon's website.

Amazon and Newegg have it at a higher price and the warranty on the item sold by Amazon and Newegg only carries a 2 YR warrant. This one here at Woot is Lifetime warranty.

Product Specs
Technology: Waterproof USB
Capacity: 64GB
Speed: Standard Speed
RoHS: Yes
Color: Black
Operating Temp: Commercial (0 to 70 C)
Application: Consumer

Part Number : DSW64GB-001
Harmonized Code: 8523.51.0000
UPC: 731969404089
Warranty: Lifetime
Packaged Dimensions: H 6.50 x W 4.38 x D 0.75
Bulk Dimensions: H 2.51 x W 0.88 x D0
Packaged Weight: 0.0800

It is very, very, slow. 33MB/s Read and 25MB/s write is a good, fast speed. This is so slow it's really not worth any price, unless you live forever. Then it's fine.

sykotek

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sykotek

Thank you for finding that crucial bit of information. I almost bought this because of how unbelievable a deal this seems.

The speed would be the equivalent of a Class 2 SD card. ...or a turtle walking to a table at turtle height from 10 feet away, picking up a loaded gun and blowing its turtle brains out.

In all seriousness, it'd be fine if you're just storing small files, but if you're planning on taking advantage of having a large capacity flash drive by moving movie files, etc...

Gestures a gun, places fingers in mouth...Blam!

mikedla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikedla

If you had your first laptop in 2005 then you are very young. I had a computer in 1979. Really.

yenchen007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yenchen007
likeaferio wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if it really is 3mb/s.

I have a 32gb class 10 SD card from Centon.
It writes on avg 8MB/s.
Class 10. 8MB/s. FAIL.

likeaferio:
Thanks again for the info. I did some random pick from Centon's product line of USB flash drives (ranging from Pro, Waterproof and their Rush lines). The followings are what I have found. It seems that 3MB *might* not be typo.

Part Number : DSW8GB-003
Read Speed: 5 MB/s

Part Number : DSP64GB-001
Write Speed: 5MB/s
Read Speed: 10MB/s

Part Number : DSR64GB3-001
Interface: USB 3.0
Write Speed: 60MB/s MB/s
Read Speed: 60MB/s MB/s

shamcy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages shamcy
jaburg wrote:Hard drives? Dude, we used magnetic audio cassettes to store data. And that was brand new at the time!

My first was an Apple IIc and here are the specs:

CPU : MOS 65C02, 1 Mhz
RAM : 128K
Display: 80X24 text mode 560X192 maximum
Storage: Internal 143k
Drive : 5.25-inch disk drive
Ports : Two serial ports , RGB monitor port, Composite video output, External floppy port

jbamherst

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbamherst

Currently trying to return a DOA 32gb Centon from 8/3/2011.
John

smawley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smawley
bitman wrote:1.8 million what? I need to know the units, because I too need the the Centox DabaSchmick Blort.

I hurts, I think I sprained my LOL. Thank you for that.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Cobaltqube

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cobaltqube
sunnyside101 wrote:You guys are a HOOT. You want to sound old, well I sure do. My first computer had 2-8" floppies. My first laptop had 2-3.5 floppies. My first computer had no word processor so I used the Pascal editor as a word processor.

Yup feeling old here too.. I've used 8" floppies and cassette tapes and even dats and 40mb tapes the size of a small paperback book.. But my first computer blows ya all out of the water.. Would love to see something with this kind of computing power here on woot some night ;-) lol !

CobaltQube
I'll have bacon or cheese and a bowl of cereal please..
Making Life Better.. One Woot @ a time
http://bit.ly/Wootlist

Krumlov

quality posts: 44 Private Messages Krumlov

1.8M depth = 39.37008 inches, or 3.28084 feet

Need me some Boxes Of Condoms!

Whippo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Whippo

SOOOOO slow! I work on computers for a living and won't use a drive that reads at less than 20MB/s and they need to write at least 10MB/s. Everything else will take forever.

Spunk-Monkey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Spunk-Monkey

For what it's worth, I bought a 4Gb version of this a few years ago (also from Woot) and the damned thing has been nearly bulletproof. It's survived longer than any of thumb drive i've used, including getting soaked in my pocket while riding a motorcycle in the rain. And the time i forgot i had it when camping in the desert (it spent a couple days baking in the glove compartment). Never a read/write issue, data loss, etc.

Of course mine is a generation or two removed from this one, so take this with a grain of salt. If i had a need for a 64Gb thumb drive, I'd definitely take the risk.

Kaarzik0

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Kaarzik0
jaekim86 wrote:LOL. I couldn't afford to buy a 4-function calculator because it was in the hundreds of dollars ($300?).

Yeah, I remember when my texas instruments calculator that was mandatory in school cost like $160!

They certainly have come a long way...wait...

phsjrotc07

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phsjrotc07
bitman wrote:1.8 million what? I need to know the units, because I too need the the Centox DabaSchmick Blort.

Its not 1.8 million. lol Its 1.8 meters from the water surface.

PapaGamer

quality posts: 10 Private Messages PapaGamer
jaburg wrote:Hard drives? Dude, we used magnetic audio cassettes to store data. And that was brand new at the time!

Same here. No floppy drives or hard drives.

As for this Woot! I wouldn't buy any memory stick with that rated transfer speed. You would be better off using Microsoft SkyDrive or Dropbox to move files from computer to computer. If you want something to run a portable system from, you need something much faster.

PapaGamer.com--own the game
My Woots

apportum

quality posts: 6 Private Messages apportum

hyuk. My first personal computer used cassette tape! I am very old.

fxfuji

quality posts: 22 Private Messages fxfuji

"Shock-proof?" USB key drives are solid-state, so they're all 'shock-proof' by nature. Or is there something else special that makes these extra shock-proof?

nosejuice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nosejuice
yenchen007 wrote:likeaferio:
Thanks again for the info. I did some random pick from Centon's product line of USB flash drives (ranging from Pro, Waterproof and their Rush lines). The followings are what I have found. It seems that 3MB *might* not be typo.

Part Number : DSW8GB-003
Read Speed: 5 MB/s

Part Number : DSP64GB-001
Write Speed: 5MB/s
Read Speed: 10MB/s

Part Number : DSR64GB3-001
Interface: USB 3.0
Write Speed: 60MB/s MB/s
Read Speed: 60MB/s MB/s

Just so you know, that 3.0 drive will not go that fast when transferring on USB 2.0. Also, 60MB/s write is very fast. I wonder if that's real world... My company sells custom 3.0 drives that have a 33MB/s read on USB2.0 and 60MB/s read on 3.0, just to give you an idea of the difference.

racerx944

quality posts: 0 Private Messages racerx944

Yes I believe this is a good deal. For you guys thinking the 8086 was old, I programmed basic back in 82 with the original apples. Remember the clones called "pineapple" from Taiwan? The trash80 from radio shack was also a response to the original apples. The 8086 was about $1500 back in 1984, which cost about 1/8 the price of a new Accord.

Yes I am familiar with the abacus and paper punch cards (instead of floppies).

flipper103

quality posts: 1 Private Messages flipper103

Who cares who feels older? You all are old! The first computer I used had 128MB of RAM. The first computer I actually owned had 2GB of RAM.

Who's old now? You all are! :P

dkeigley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dkeigley
Cobaltqube wrote:.. Would love to see something with this kind of computing power here on woot some night ;-) lol !

Isn't that one of the extra servers that they fire up during the Bundle of Crops#39;s ?

I kid, I kid

JDAWGRULZ

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JDAWGRULZ
jgary wrote:You kids today. My TRS-80 Model I was decked out with 48K of RAM. IIRC a floppy held 86K of data. I thought I'd never fill one up.

I got you beat... 2x... Timex Sinclair with 4K of memory & a TI 99-4A with 16K (32K with Peripheral expansion unit).... Both used magnetic tape for external storage. Now I'm the one feeling old.