PapaGamer

quality posts: 10 Private Messages PapaGamer
Krumlov wrote:1.8M depth = 39.37008 inches, or 3.28084 feet

Err... 1.0M = 39inches. 1.8M is closer to 6 feet. Not that I would really want to go swimming with my flash drive in my pocket.

PapaGamer.com--own the game
My Woots

baqui63

quality posts: 8 Private Messages baqui63

I'm mainly here to check that my avatar no longer looks like a multicolored zombie on acid, but as long as I'm posting something...

My first personally owned computer (in 1979 or 80) was an S-100 bus card cage with an 8080 CPU and a hand-built front panel that used toggle switches to enter data and LEDs to display the bits (not even 7-segment displays... a single LED for each individual bit); it had 512 bytes of RAM (quickly upgraded to 2K then to 8K and to a whopping 16K that put out enough heat to make today's fastest graphics cards seem like freezers in comparison). It was mostly hand built by me and based on the IMSAI8080 (I eventually got one of those too). It had a paper tape reader (I still have the original bootstrap loader on paper tape) and I added floppies (5-1/4" as I couldn't afford the dual DS/DD 8" Persci floppy drives that I really wanted.

I also had an Atari 800, an Atari 400 (got that for my mother who really loved Miner 2049), a C-64, and a Cromemco C-10. I finally got an IBM AT compatible (10Mhz, w/1MB of zero wait-state RAM and a 40MB HD) in 1987 (for $3997) and then a 386/16. Kind of stopped paying for computers after that as I started getting them from work.

Ah the good old days... my younger daughter's crappy feature phone has way more CPU, RAM and storage than my first PC-compatible.

llucas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages llucas

This thing is al over the net for $55 shipped. Makes Woots look kind of SICK and RAPACIOUS!

borntohunt

quality posts: 103 Private Messages borntohunt

Does it come with a Carabineer Clip like it mentions in the DSW64GB-001 Product Details at the product web site???

Cory

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cory
Cobaltqube wrote:Yup feeling old here too.. I've used 8" floppies and cassette tapes and even dats and 40mb tapes the size of a small paperback book.. But my first computer blows ya all out of the water.. Would love to see something with this kind of computing power here on woot some night ;-) lol !

My first computer was an 80 column card sorter, PCAM in the day. (punched card accounting machine, for those not familiar with the acronym) A box of cards was 2,000 cards so I guess that would make it 160k. Upgraded to a machine with 16k of hand wired core memory and, if I remember correctly, approximately 1mb disk packs.

markddrake

quality posts: 1 Private Messages markddrake

Come, if you first computer didn't use Core Memory then you are not old school... At least with core you could actually see the bits..

patforbes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patforbes
elliottm wrote:you whippersnappers. my first computer had 1KB of memory but was upgraded to 16KB - so much memory! look it up - the sinclair zx-81.

That's right. In 1985.

elliottm wrote:
i am suddenly feeling very old.

Well, I don't.

domtown

quality posts: 0 Private Messages domtown
Charlietrent wrote:Does anyone know if this supports Readyboost?

Why would you need a 64GB for Readyboost?

sdc100

quality posts: 502 Private Messages sdc100
Numinak wrote:You kids today! I remember when my Vic20 had a huge cartridge for 16k memory expansion!

You kids today, I still have my Interact (sold through DAK! If you think today's infomercials are bad, you haven't read classic DAK). It had 4K RAM, 2K ROM, 128x96 resolution (8 or 16 colors. I believe), a very slow cassette drive to load/save software, including BASIC. Expandability was impossible since what little was available never made it into the closeout market. No floppy drives or RAM modules were ever truly available although some were made. Of note, the cassette unit couldn't even erase the tapes for resuse!

I also had a children's 4 bit 4044 (I think) computer with a hexadecimal keypad and 2 digit LED display. Most calculators were more powerful at that time.

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=1004

The Interact computer had a very short life in USA. It had only just got in production when the Interact Co. of Ann Arbor MI, went bankrupt. Several thousand machines were produced though. Some of them were sold by Protecto Enterprizes of Barrington, IL, the liquidator, but the main part was sold by MicroVideo, also of Ann Arbor. Protecto bought lots of back-of-the-magazine ads for years, always printed with "WE LOVE OUR CUSTOMERS".

The Interact shipped with 2 joysticks, a built-in tape recorder, a TV RF modulator and 2 KB of ROM. Everything, including BASIC, must be loaded from tape. A little trivia: The tape unit did include an erase head, but it was not connected! Tapes had to be erased on a regular cassette recorder before being reused...

MicroVideo supported the machine for two years, 1979-80, making some hardware expansions (32K RAM card and stringy floppy drive)... The Interact computer finally vanished from the US market in late 1980.

richardao

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richardao
sdcaclint wrote:my first computer had a 120 MB hdd. I'm feeling really old now.

My first computer was portable, no hard drive, two floppy disk drives,
CPU speed: 8MHz., Dos 3.1 or 2 or 3.
Made in England. Power: outlet or 6 'D' batteries. Never tried it with batteries.
The good old days. When you typed the wrong letter and or number the cursor, the blinking: _
would replace everything on the screen and you started over.
One step above or below pen and paper...or cave drawings
Richard

evilmicrowizard

quality posts: 7 Private Messages evilmicrowizard
borntohunt wrote:(No need to requote the pic)

Looking closely at the packaging shows a "Hi-Speed USB2.0" graphic - but 3MB/sec ain't anything like "Hi-Speed." At least it is faster than if it were "Full Speed" USB2.0 (= USB1.1) - just barely...

skou

quality posts: 20 Private Messages skou
Krumlov wrote:1.8M depth = 39.37008 inches, or 3.28084 feet

Try again.

You just posted the specs for 1 meter.

This, however, is 1.8 meters, or close to 6 whole feet!

steve

kingofthenet

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kingofthenet

My first Computer had a CASSETTE Drive(Atari 800) Waiting 10 minutes to load a 48k program, than I took a mortgage out to buy a couple of Rana 1000 Floppy Drives, nearly had a heart attack at the speed.

ctl2003

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ctl2003
animefanboy123 wrote:is this usb 2 or 3?

USB 2.0

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820237070

ibano

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ibano

64 GB thumb drive? pshhhh, pass.

Will let Moore's law change the "G" to a "T", that shall be my woot item!

timali

quality posts: 0 Private Messages timali

3 MB/Sec isn't slow. MB and Mb are megabytes and megabits. Multiply MB by 8 to get megabits. 3 MB/Sec is 24 Mb per second which puts the transfer speed in the same class as a class 4 SDHC card. That's what I use for AVCHD video recording. It's amply fast.

sdc100

kingofthenet wrote:My first Computer had a CASSETTE Drive(Atari 800) Waiting 10 minutes to load a 48k program, than I took a mortgage out to buy a couple of Rana 1000 Floppy Drives, nearly had a heart attack at the speed.

YOU CAN LOAD 48K PROGRAMS?!?!?! Were you living in Beverly Hills, or what?

My ghetto machine could barely load 4K, and even then, it took about 10 mins. And my cassette player couldn't even erase the tapes, which must be done on my boombox (remember those?).

Lucky you, rich boy! I remember salivating looking at the Atari 800's REAL KEYBOARD...

sdc100

justmenan wrote:Well if you feel old, my first computer had 2 X 5 1/4 Floppy Drives. I know most of you probably don't know what I'm talking about. It was the mid 70's. LOL

360k or 720k? DOS or C/PM? I was taught on a CP/M machine using 8" floppies. Now and then, my fingers still mistakenly use Ctrl-codes for cursor movement and dot-formatting codes used in WordStar. Just imagine doing word processing without a mouse, touchpad or even cursor keys, or page up/down.

halukucar

quality posts: 3 Private Messages halukucar
justmenan wrote:Well if you feel old, my first computer had 2 X 5 1/4 Floppy Drives. I know most of you probably don't know what I'm talking about. It was the mid 70's. LOL

you were lucky, I had one floppy. I need to load system disc first, then any program I want to run.

sdc100

elliottm wrote:you whippersnappers. my first computer had 1KB of memory but was upgraded to 16KB - so much memory! look it up - the sinclair zx-81.

It was the Timex Sinclair here in the US, and I still have mine. Being a ghetto boy, I was never able to afford any memory upgrade. I couldn't type for more than 10 mins on the membrane keyboard, which was smaller than those on most netbooks.

keiichi626

quality posts: 6 Private Messages keiichi626
sykotek wrote:...or a turtle walking to a table at turtle height from 10 feet away, picking up a loaded gun and blowing its turtle brains out.

Thank you, sir, for that wonderful piece of imagery that I happened to read at the precise moment I was taking a sip of soda. Good thing I turned my head quick enough that I avoided the laptop with the spray.

znutar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages znutar
jgary wrote:You kids today. My TRS-80 Model I was decked out with 48K of RAM. IIRC a floppy held 86K of data. I thought I'd never fill one up.

floppy drive! You were livin large buddy...we had to wait 45 minutes to load Asteroids via cassette tape!

sdc100

Charlietrent wrote:Does anyone know if this supports Readyboost?

Readyboost memory shouldn't be more than the amount of RAM you have. I don't think any home computer has 64gb of RAM. You'd do better getting a cheap 2gb or 4gb SD card.

nitebrain

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nitebrain

Now that the Amazon honeymoon is over, can we please ditch the stupid cutesy stories in the product description already?

So OMGOMGOMGPONIESOMG PONIES!. We just want to read about the dang thing.

garyhgaryh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages garyhgaryh
jgary wrote:You kids today. My TRS-80 Model I was decked out with 48K of RAM. IIRC a floppy held 86K of data. I thought I'd never fill one up.

LOL.. I was a trs-80 Model 1 power user. I ran 4 drives and they were double sided 80 track drive that I formatted with 82 tracks! I ran a bbs on that thing for years .. the only issue I had was with the stupid tin coated edge connector that hung the machine and required a reboot because oxidation would set in between the connectors.

Model 1 rules!

nitebrain

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nitebrain
nitebrain wrote:Now that the Amazon honeymoon is over, can we please ditch the stupid cutesy stories in the product description already?

So l.a.m.e. We just want to read about the dang thing.

I can't same l a m e on here? w t f

John1000

quality posts: 19 Private Messages John1000
llucas wrote:This thing is al over the net for $55 shipped. Makes Woots look kind of SICK and RAPACIOUS!

Yeah, all over the net linking back to Woot. But at least you got to shout RAPACIOUS in your post.

garyhgaryh

cellistpilot wrote:Way way back, in 1983, I bought an expansion unit for my 8088 IBM PC. It had, I kid you not, two 10 megabite hard drives in it and it cost a fortune. I bet you don't feel old anymore.

The TRS-80 Model 1 was produced before the 8088 IBM PC, VIC 20, and the TImex Sinclair. The Model 1, Apple 1, and Pet Computers were all the rage then. I was styling with 4K of memory and lower case text was an underground modification that such a big deal. And the cassette tape storage device. I had to pipe sound into a separate amp! What fun!

zerosee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zerosee
SevenStarSonata wrote:My first laptop, back in 2005, had a 60 GB hard drive. I'm not sure whether to marvel at technology or feel very, very old.

Either way, this is a kickass deal.

Congratulation, you just won the "Troll the Old Timers" award! Your prize is the realization that YOUR ARE NOT OLD! Enjoy.

The nostalgia has been fun though. This PC I am on has a 40 GB HDD and is ten years old and still kicking. But from the reviews I doubt this thumb drive would have that kind of longevity. And, I am in the "my first computer didn't have a hard drive" school of thought.

speedshark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages speedshark

My first computer had a cassette tape drive, so does that mean I win or lose???

sdc100

garyhgaryh wrote:LOL.. I was a trs-80 Model 1 power user. I ran 4 drives and they were double sided 80 track drive that I formatted with 82 tracks! I ran a bbs on that thing for years .. the only issue I had was with the stupid tin coated edge connector that hung the machine and required a reboot because oxidation would set in between the connectors.

Model 1 rules!

SysOps ruled! Literally.

garyhgaryh

sdc100 wrote:SysOps ruled! Literally.

lol, i was a sysop!

sdc100

garyhgaryh wrote:lol, i was a sysop!

A typical SysOp (Woot moderators and Marc Zuckerberg: Bow down to pay homage!)

BBS: The Documentary on YouTube

Great ZDNET article on BBSs, from Apr 27, 2011
When BBS SysOps ruled the Earth

garyhgaryh

sdc100 wrote:A typical SysOp (Woot moderators and Marc Zuckerberg: Bow down to pay homage!)

BBS: The Documentary on YouTube

Great ZDNET article on BBSs, from Apr 27, 2011
When BBS SysOps ruled the Earth

Uh seriously, how'd you get my picture?

sdc100

indytycoon wrote:Waterproof?

I've washed quite a few "non waterproof" USB sticks and they all still work.

Yeah, some of mine have went through a washer (hot water!), centrifugal extractor (high G forces) and a dryer (high heat), yet survived intact. Still, I'd like the assurance of having rubber gaskets, etc to improve water resistance.

sdc100

garyhgaryh wrote:Uh seriously, how'd you get my picture?

I ran the alt.bin.pictures.erotica.hot.rotund.nerds USENET group... Don't tell me that you didn't submit the photo!

woolygums

quality posts: 2 Private Messages woolygums
sdcaclint wrote:my first computer had a 120 MB hdd. I'm feeling really old now.

Yo, whippersnapper, MY first computer had 92kb 5 1/4" Floppy drives. 1981.

Were you born yet?

My first encounter with computer addiction. Brought it home Saturday morning and played with it straight thru the night until Sunday evening!

http://oldcomputers.net/osborne.html

hhumbert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hhumbert

I'm going to ++you.

My first *home* computer was the Timex Sinclair ZX-80. Even more ghetto than the zx-81.

Woot-elk: (n) someone who has more woots than posts on woot.com

* 17 Woots starting on 2/21/2006, latest woot: 12/6/2006
* Total boxes of crayons: 0/3 attempts
* Worst woot purchased: Mediocre 4x15 Binoculars - 2 Pack
* Best woot: Cleveland HiBore Titanium Driver

compudata

quality posts: 6 Private Messages compudata
coffeenogrumpy wrote:facebook said it was woot off...

guess i wasnt paying attention

That's Facebook's new interface. It thought last week's post was so important that it should be at the top of your list *today* !

(Thanks for nothing, Mark Suckerburg) (misspelling intentional)

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234

You mean the late 80s!