Krumlov

quality posts: 44 Private Messages Krumlov

How well would these work for a BBQ with some friends?

I would like to make quite a bit of food. Do any previous owners know if the quantity would server a group?

Need me some Boxes Of Condoms!

Cammiesan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Cammiesan

I bought one when it was $85 with shipping. It's worth every penny and more, I have grilled steaks, smoked ribs, sausages and chicken. I have made pizza as well. I bought a lot of the accessories at half off including the grill rack, extension ring and wood chip holder. Food comes out delicious.

If you get just one accessory, I would strongly suggest the grill rack. Although I didn't, you may want to consider the four piece accessory set that includes the wok. It's an ideal grill for a small family, a couple or a single person. The carrying case is just ok (rather cheaply made) but the grill itself is quality construction.

I would get the all stainless steel one among the choices. I am going to purchase 3 more as Christmas gifts for friends and family members.

Cammiesan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Cammiesan
Krumlov wrote:How well would these work for a BBQ with some friends?

I would like to make quite a bit of food. Do any previous owners know if the quantity would server a group?

I would definitely get the extension ring. I think you could make enough for 4-6 people without issue. Pizza making really better for 2-3 people. You can eat one while another cooks...just takes a bit of time. It may be better to go with a larger grill if you frequently need to prepare large quantities.

skou

quality posts: 20 Private Messages skou
Hobbes wrote:In for 1. Hope it's as good as my kamado egg but in a portable and light package.

Not even in a snowstorm.

The Kamado, or any other egg is head and shoulders above ANY cheap trinket like this. My UDSs don't hold a candle compared to an Egg. (And, I just junked a 300 dollar imported ProQ, to use my UDS. Well, I sold the ProQ.)(Google Proq, you all.)

steve

skou

quality posts: 20 Private Messages skou
hdtvcamera wrote:I checked the UDS out. You are my people.

I wish I could call you friend.

Get a drum and build one. Best smoker I've ever used. (No, I haven't tried any Eggs.)

Guys, he's not a spammer. (Well if he is, he's got too many purchases to be a good one.)

steve

sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100

When I saw today's Woot, my first reaction was, Omigawd, it's a FLYING GUILLOTINE!!! More details HERE.

How clever of Woot to invent a device that not only cooks your meat, but to cut it up fresh too!

Harpo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Harpo
tobuns wrote:I bought this on sellout woot for $79.99 in July. It's more like a charcoal oven then a grill (you can use it to bake bread for instace). You must keep the cover on while cooking. As a result, it is almost smokeless after the coals ignites and, except for the food, it doesn't smell too much either. I use lump mesquite charcoal with a fire starter. I've cooked an entire chicken with about 7-8 pieces of charcoal. I live in an apartment and do use this on my balcony. My neighbor uses a baby webber with kingsford and a whole lot of lighter fluid. That thing stinks up and smokes up the entire complex. The cobb is pretty steath.

Sellout Woot discussion

Do you think the extra roasting rack is needed?

sfollmer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sfollmer

I've had my Cobb for about 6 years now and it's awesome for camping since it's so portable, uses little fuel, and versatile (I have the wok and frying pan accessories).

I made a little chimney out of a large fruit can which holds about 10 briquettes and even it stores inside the bag along with the above mentioned accessories. Light a fire starter underneath the chimney with the coals and you are up and cooking fast. You can even put a few briquettes in a ziplock inside the bag for a trip out to the beach.

Once dinner is ready, I put some water in the wok and by the time dinner is over, the water is hot enough to do the cleanup.

I highly recommend this and I'm in for a silver one. My original black plastic base is all cracked and this isn't much more than just the silver base replacement.

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle

If you want the [UDS aka UglyDrumSmoker] to keep a huge garbage can eye sore in your yard, go ahead. The 1st person said Google it. So I did. Here's 3.
It's not what the normal person wants to look at or see in their yard or garage. You can't take it in the home even when done cooking. That thing is hideous to look at and huge.

The Cobb has excellent reviews, is compact, attractive and this is about half the normal price, $10 less than Woot has ever had it for. If you want to smoke food, it's the perfect answer. My parents have it and 2 friends, they all use it and love it.

PS: These are done up neatly. Google images of the UDS, most are not painted or clean. They look like old-time garbage cans. Imagine the stink and that can't go in the dishwasher hyuk.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle
sfollmer wrote:I've had my Cobb for about 6 years now and it's awesome for camping since it's so portable, uses little fuel, and versatile (I have the wok and frying pan accessories).

I made a little chimney out of a large fruit can which holds about 10 briquettes and even it stores inside the bag along with the above mentioned accessories. Light a fire starter underneath the chimney with the coals and you are up and cooking fast. You can even put a few briquettes in a ziplock inside the bag for a trip out to the beach.

Once dinner is ready, I put some water in the wok and by the time dinner is over, the water is hot enough to do the cleanup.

I highly recommend this and I'm in for a silver one. My original black plastic base is all cracked and this isn't much more than just the silver base replacement.

That seals the deal for me. According to the photos on their site, the stainless is the Premier, the red and black are the Pro with little difference. The only difference is the base. I'm ordering 2, for myself and for a birthday gift for my best employee who camps alot and told me he's been looking for it discounted.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

ImpulsivePragmatist

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ImpulsivePragmatist

I would try cooking noodles in the moat while sauteing in the wok. I would want to go for this if it didn't have nonstick.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

If I had the money, I'd be all over this.

jerrybign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jerrybign

I also love, no, make that LOVE!!!! the UDS!! Built two sizes, the 55 and a 25 gallon verison. I built both for less than the cost of one of these Cobb cookers. I love the smoke!!!

/12/2006 Random scaffolding 1 blog discuss
20409570 6/13/2006 Straight Line Laser Level 2-Pack 2 blog discuss
20400974 6/9/2006 Rio Forge 512MB MP3 Player 1 blog discuss
20387700 6/8/2006 Rio Forge 128MB MP3 Player 20597732 9/12/2006 Logitech X-120 2 Piece Multimedia Speakers - 2 Pack 1 blog discuss
20544157 8/18/2006 SanDisk 256 MB MP3/WMA Player with FM Tuner and Voice Recorder

stleith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stleith

Crap - I have two of these bought at retail prices and thought a great deal- this one is out of control!! Running two at a time - one as a smoker the other for grilling - great for at the beach and picnic

lhivernant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lhivernant

It is virtually smokeless when used purely with charcoal. Add wood chips and it becomes a great smoker, if a bit small. I once smoked an entire slab of spare ribs and they turned out great, beautiful smoke ring and all. Yes, I had to cut it in half and stack them. I just rearranged the meat every 20 minutes or so. Chicken comes out great, too. I wouldn't recommend brisket or pork butt as it runs too hot for those, in my opinion.

I wouldn't recommend buying it just for smoking, but it will do the the job when you ask it too.

stleith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stleith
Krumlov wrote:How well would these work for a BBQ with some friends?

Some friends - sure - gaggle? nope - run two and if drinking amaze your friends when you can pick it up while still grilling

dadsla

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dadsla

Use Discount code WOOTDEAL23 for 50% off accessories at Cobb America. GREAT GRILL; bought it last time. Select the all stainless one to get the premier.

jebbesen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jebbesen

I love the comments on how this unit sucks from posters who haven't used it and apparently have no concept of BBQ'ing.

Oh, lets compare this to an UDS, yea, that's the ticket.

sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100
sdc100 wrote:When I saw today's Woot, my first reaction was, Omigawd, it's a FLYING GUILLOTINE!!! More details HERE.

How clever of Woot to invent a device that not only cooks your meat, but to cut it up fresh too!

Here's a nice video demonstration by a Master Chef! Gotta love the 70's!

"Consumer Reports" tests to see if it really works!

emccoyii

quality posts: 6 Private Messages emccoyii

I find myself wondering about the dimensions. How can a cylinder be

Woot wrote: Dimensions: 13″(H) x 13″(W) x 13″(D)

laughingfrog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laughingfrog

I love my Cobb grill and smoker for camping...takes up small space, uses just a few briquets and can cook a lot or sizeable items. Good stuff!

Cycledoc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cycledoc

Had one of these--an earlier model.

Doesn't cook well and is a mess to clean. Couldn't make it work for me. Back to a Weber type grill, both when camping and at home.

I don't recommend.

LastApeMan

quality posts: 18 Private Messages LastApeMan

Could Not help but think how Much better the show would be after all these years.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/847/rosiesnewcobbcans.jpg/ can't seem to make that work for the life of me.

how embarrassing

What Lies Behind Us and Lies Before Us are Small Matters Compared to What Lies Right to Our Faces.

metfoo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages metfoo
mgwerks wrote:It advertises itself as virtually smokeless, and it is. You aren't going to smoke anything in it (like brisket, chicken, etc.). Because it isn't designed for or capable of doing that.

A friend has one, and in this area, it's a magnificent FAIL.

We B BBQ

actually, its a great smoker. I've owned one for about 18 months and smoke stuff all the time. Buy a small cast iron smoke box, like the one cobb sells, throw in a few soaked wood chips, and smoke away.

MaxHedrm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaxHedrm
MichXelle wrote:PS: These are done up neatly. Google images of the UDS, most are not painted or clean. They look like old-time garbage cans. Imagine the stink and that can't go in the dishwasher hyuk.

I don't know anyone that takes their grill inside or puts it in the dishwasher. As already pointed out, the Cobb sort of serves a different purpose.

w.w: Robert Craig 2005 Mt.Veeder • Bonny Doon Angel Paille • Thanksgiving Coffee • Shadow Canyon Late Harvest Pinot Blanc • Vino Noceto • JanKris • Substance • SakéOne Trio • InZINerator • Polyphemus • Robert Craig 2004 Mt.Veeder • Mumm Brut Prestige & Pinot Noir • SakéOne Quartet
s.w: Good Morning Starshine • Jungle Within • Get on the Mike • Fact vs. Fiction • How We Roll • Life Renewed • Thrive • 1988 • Maple Leaf • Shades of Winter
w: too dang many

specsmachine

quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine

Can you use natural lump charcoal with this thing? Those manufactured briquets taste funky to me.

frannyryan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frannyryan

I bought one of these from sellout and got a bunch of accessories with the half off coupon. I love this baby. It works very well as a smoker, just use fewer chunks of charcoal, fill the well to keep the heat low and slow, and either put some wet wood chips in the fire pot or use a little cast iron smoke pot. Very very efficient with fuel, and that is why I bought it. It really is a different animal than a Weber, as others said, it is more like an oven. It takes some practice to learn how to use it, e.g. I had to experiment with number of chunks and how much liquid in the well to control the heat. With the accessory pans you can bake pizza, make eggs, steam mussels, and do lots of other stuff. I still have a big grill, but I view the Cobb as a backup cooking fuel source in case the gas and electric go out for a while, and a cool smoker as well.

trybalwings

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trybalwings

I think that this would be a perfect mate for the Fire Wire Stainless Steel Flexible Grilling Skewers on Deals.Woot today! You may not be able to fit all 6 of the skewers on there, but then if that is your concern, you should probably just buy two of these. Problem solved!

cobbamerica

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cobbamerica

Hi All, Cobb America here.

Check out our youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/cobbmaster and our facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/cobbamerica

bubink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bubink

We have had our Cobb for a few years and LOVE IT! we also have a Weber for large quantities of meat, a cheap charcoal one for grilling steaks and then this one. It's perfect for low and slow cooking. Using the wood chips (soaked, wrapped in foil and then put on top of the coals when hot) makes it the perfect smoker. DO get the extender ring and make perfect beer can chicken. Yes, clean up can be a bit of a mess but Dawn Power Dissolver makes short work of it. Bought one last Woot for my son-in-law and can't wait to give it to him. Great construction, too!

fitster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fitster

I don't know about the grill, but the jalapeno cooker (through the "jalapeno" link)rocks! I've had one for several years and it works great. Still looks like the day I got it. And that jalapeno corer is absolutely the easiest way to get the seeds out of the jalapeno. I've never seen it this cheap, I'm getting another!
The folks that make this have some good recipes on their web site too.
http://www.chilegrill.com

cole103

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cole103
MichXelle wrote:

"I'm a tri-tip guy"

I'm from the Midwest and have heard of lots of cuts of meat----what's a "Tri-tip"????

awldun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awldun

I'm in for one but have a question for existing owners.

Do you think a 12" dia. cast iron pan would fit on top?

cobbamerica

cole103 wrote:[quote postid="4650301" user="MichXelle"]

"I'm a tri-tip guy"

I'm from the Midwest and have heard of lots of cuts of meat----what's a "Tri-tip"????

http://bbq.about.com/cs/beef/a/aa071401a.htm

cobbamerica

awldun wrote:I'm in for one but have a question for existing owners.

The diameter of the grilling surface is 12.5 inches, so it may fall in. Also you need a tight fit to maintain the heat. I would suggest getting the official Cobb pan from cobbq.com and use the coupon "wootdeal23" for 50% discount

shariellen

quality posts: 4 Private Messages shariellen

hey Cobb guy--can you use Sterno cans in it? Planning for the upcoming apocalypse.

Also, do you think I could use this on my fire escape and not get caught?

Also, any ideas about safely using it while on a sailboat at a mooring (not while under sail).

firestix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages firestix
awldun wrote:I'm in for one but have a question for existing owners.

Really want one of these but already spent my disposable income for a few months on a cider press. Maybe in a woot off in a month or two or on sellout.

Anyway to take a shot at an answer for you. I would suspect the handle will get in the way. From all the reviews I read it seems imperative to keep the lid on to keep a satisfactory temperature. So, I would suspect not unless you chop off the handle. Now can someone tell us how the frying accessory fits in the system and avoids the handles. Between the base and lid handles outside the cooking chamber?

killroy108

quality posts: 3 Private Messages killroy108

Dang it, I missed this when it was on Sell-out Woot. I waited and bought one as soon as it came up (got out of bed when it hit my cell). Now on second thought I should have gotten at least two (best Christmas gift ever) but you can't go back after the initial order.

cobbamerica

shariellen wrote:hey Cobb guy--can you use Sterno cans in it? Planning for the upcoming apocalypse.

Also, do you think I could use this on my fire escape and not get caught?

Also, any ideas about safely using it while on a sailboat at a mooring (not while under sail).

haha... Funny you ask but we often do indoor demos using Sterno. It's not made for that and it does not cook great with it but in a pinch in would work.

I strongly suggest the solid charcoal briques available on http://www.cobbq.com/cobb-fire-and-smoke.html. They are individually sealed so last for a few years in any weather conditions. Great for on a boat.