pphilipp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages pphilipp

Just goes to show how overpriced this was when it hit the market... perhaps it's still overpriced at $350!

If it comes down to the =$200 price of the new Amazon Kindle, then this Xoom thing might look attractive.

Yep, I'll wait and see if Motorola will eventually have Woot clear 'em out at $200.

mshultise

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mshultise
stevec5000 wrote:I've had a tablet for years but never found a use for it yet.

To save the planet by not using excessive electricity!

You hang a tablet on the refrigerator door and put a tiny camera inside on a shelf. This way you ensure the light goes out when you shut the door.

If you obsessively check to see what is in there to eat, make it a night-vision camera.

ItsKona.Com

Mossylomo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mossylomo

can i upload skype on here?

soundbyte24

quality posts: 1 Private Messages soundbyte24

Had been in for this as a gift for my father but did not do enough research; thought both versions of the Xoom were 3G/4G and this version had Wi-Fi as an extra feature. Now it's clear that 3G/4G is the 'feature' on the other version; plus there have been a lot of negative comments on here but that isn't the important thing. Jumped on it due to the 'deal' but without having the knowledge for it - epic fail.

Emailed service and I'm hoping, hoping, hoping my order is OK to be canceled yet - feel like there isn't potential to resell it. Have people had a lot of luck with canceling via email?

toadfish63

quality posts: 2 Private Messages toadfish63

Pre-ordered Kindle Fire yesterday, in for the Xoom today, my wife is gonna kill me if she catches these transactions. All I need for Woot to do now is put up a BMW GS1200 Adventure and I'm all set!

Darksoul13

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Darksoul13
derseniz wrote:As an alternative
ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101-A1 10.1-Inch Tablet Computer is for $334.00.

Site is questionable at best....

Silly Rabbit......

EasyGoinGal

quality posts: 2 Private Messages EasyGoinGal
stevec5000 wrote:I've had a tablet for years but never found a use for it yet.

I feel the same way.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

We'll know Woot! is fully a part of the Amazon family when the day after Bezos* announces the new Kindle Fire® tablet, Woot! has it for sale.**

*"Mr. Bezos sir" to the woot staff

**not there yet

nycynik

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nycynik
chknofthescene wrote:Um, except that Google now owns Motorola so they will keep that thing updated. So, yeah.

I dont think that just because they purchased Motorola that they will be inclined to favor this tablet. For one, they would have pressure to keep honeycomb updated for ALL tabs, and that is unlikely.

I think you can expect this to work for many, many years, but I think if your going to buy it you should know the updates will stop after at best a year or so, just like they did for all the other android devices.

nycynik

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nycynik
EasyGoinGal wrote:
stevec5000 wrote:
I've had a tablet for years but never found a use for it yet.

I feel the same way.

Uses:
- Watching Movies: On a plan, or hook it up to a TV
- Reading stuff: Not so much outdoors, so think reading on a plane, or reading in a car, or reading at night.
- Browsing the web while watching TV: Great to answer questions like, who is that guy? What did they say?
- Listening to music : iPod is better, but it is still useful, especially while donig other things.
- Reading comics : color >>> b&w readers
- Reading your email: On the go, on vacation, anytime your out of the house (and have wifi, like a starbucks)
- Watching utube and web videos.
- Showing pictures: This is great for when you get back from vacation, it has totally replaced the stack of photos you would drag around to show people how much fun you had, and the screen size is so much bigger then a phone.
- Games

Oh, and if your saying, my laptop can do all of these things, I disagree.

- On a plane, the laptop angle sucks, tabs can be better, its also lighter, makes less noise (no fans), and battery lasts longer.
- Laptops are heavy, and taking them to the pool is no where near as fun as taking a tab.
- Reading in profile (tall not wide), is much more natural, and laptops just dont let you do that.
- 0 Boot time matters.
- You can pass it around, and you dont feel like someone is going to mess it up.

willnott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages willnott

"...with Wi-Fi so I can keep reading my email on the go..." Sorry, wrong again. Without 3G or 4G you will be tethered to a Wi-Fi, and so "on the go" can only mean while you're sitting in the john.

feighner

quality posts: 3 Private Messages feighner

Anyone have success rooting this?

how about unlocking the SD card slot?

wjkrysak

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wjkrysak

I bought mine during the last woot ($399). I am very pleased with it. Upgraded immediately, screen is brilliant and responsive, plenty of useful apps, honeycomb is stable, long battery charge and quick recharge.
Cons: a bit hefty (weight and thick), volume buttons difficult to use (due to recess).
I use it as a reader (B&N and magazines), internet surfing, music, netflix, word processing (quickoffice), GPS.
My brother and his wife have an Ipad and Galaxy tab, both are impressed with the xoom. IMO, this is a good deal. BTW: Refurb has not been an issue.

lmgarza

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lmgarza
mattlscc wrote:Android seems like the hip thing to do these days. Anyone own a XOOM and recommend it?

I just bought one last week spent 500 on it and I love it. If only I had patience.

willnott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages willnott
mshultise wrote:To save the planet by not using excessive electricity!

You hang a tablet on the refrigerator door and put a tiny camera inside on a shelf. This way you ensure the light goes out when you shut the door.

If you obsessively check to see what is in there to eat, make it a night-vision camera.

He He - it will have to be a wireless camera which will then lose it's connection when the door is closed due to RF shielding - so you still won't know...

riddley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riddley

Kindle Fire at $200 makes this an easy "pass".

schelle33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schelle33
Krumlov wrote:I own this tablet! And I love it!

This is a great device for any elderly person wanting to be connected to the world!

Can this device video record?

bullscomp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bullscomp
mottuv wrote:$329.34 at The Electronic Superstore no tax & free shipping

You have a link? Couldn't find that anywhere.

alanpugh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alanpugh
riddley wrote:Kindle Fire at $200 makes this an easy "pass".

A lot of people are talking about this, and one even went so far as to say that, if the Xoom dropped to $200, it *might* be worth considering.

7" little screen, 8GB of storage, 8 hour battery life... No.

If you want a slightly oversized phone with a quarter of the storage and less battery life, then yes... the Fire's a better deal. The Xoom is a far better tablet, hence the higher price tag. I wouldn't trade mine for anything on the market.

Tsa05

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Tsa05
TweetyBear wrote:is this not a good price?

It is a fantastic price. An amazing, never-will-be-cheaper price.

As a happy Xoom owner (paid $600 for mine), I can honestly say avoid this deal. The Xoom was the first Android 3 powerhouse tablet out of the gates. But the Galaxy Tab 2 runs smoother and faster, and now we have the promise of the Kindle Fire for a mere $200.

At this point, I'd say the Xoom, while wonderful, is about to go obsolete.

Tsa05

schelle33 wrote:Can this device video record?

Yes. Records hi-def video, has front and rear cameras.

dleins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dleins

Have had my Xoom 3G (soon to be 4G) since day one and use it constantly. It is so much more convenient to check email, the news, etc. than switching on my computer. I find I now only use my laptop/desktop for programming or when I have to write something that is more than a couple of paragraphs long. For all else, the Xoom rules. I have the Verizon 1 Gig plan and it only kicks in when I am not at work or at home, so have never hit the limit. I no longer have to lug a laptop on business trips, which is a big plus too. There is an app for everything I've ever needed to do, so don't believe the BS you hear on that score.

The Dude Abides

linerboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages linerboy
willnott wrote:"...with Wi-Fi so I can keep reading my email on the go..." Sorry, wrong again. Without 3G or 4G you will be tethered to a Wi-Fi, and so "on the go" can only mean while you're sitting in the john.

Tsa05

feighner wrote:Anyone have success rooting this?

how about unlocking the SD card slot?

SD Card slot was unlocked for all Xooms a month ago, no rooting needed.

ggrote

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ggrote

One of the primary uses I'd have for a tablet is keeping a library of sheet music so that I can dump my backpack.

Have been seriously looking at the Nook Color, but I fear that the 7" screen will be too small.

Thought seriously about preordering a Fire, but the lack of an SD slot was a deal breaker for me, with only 8GB storage (and an unknown amount available for user content ... the cloud won't help me if I don't have wifi). But I am a big Amazon user, so that's disappointing.

The Xoom screen is bigger, but it's 50% heavier (and 50-70% more expensive) than the above two and still has the 16:10 aspect ratio that is less than optimal for viewing 8.5 x 11 PDF files. The quirky SD doesn't bother me with 32GB on board storage.

"If you're not having fun, lower your standards."

linerboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages linerboy
willnott wrote:"...with Wi-Fi so I can keep reading my email on the go..." Sorry, wrong again. Without 3G or 4G you will be tethered to a Wi-Fi, and so "on the go" can only mean while you're sitting in the john.

Gee, so using my wifi in town (town has pretty good free wifi almost everywhere, town size 160,000) using the tab on plane when I fly every month, using the wifi in the airport, using in the hotel lobby bar while waiting for people, and yes surfing while watching tv is out of the question using wifi I guess! You don't need 3G or 4G to be functional!

wrek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wrek

The Toshiba Thrive beats this one in specs (and beats the Galaxy Tab) but Toshiba has no clue on how to market correctly so almost nobody has one but I love mine. -- I think I'll pick up one of these Xooms for the wife though. Can't beat the $350 price for a 32gb tablet.

These are fantastic for watching netflix (you may need root and file mods) or other streaming services while laying in bed, sitting on the deck, working in the garage, etc., Not to mention maps. You could have a 10.1" GPS baby! WOOOOOT

As for 3g/4g/etc I use mine mostly around the house on wifi or elsewhere with wifi but when I must use it on the go I just tether (share the connection) with my phone.

You're so vain... you probably think this post is about you.. don't you? Don't you? You're so vain!

ggrote

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ggrote
riddley wrote:Kindle Fire at $200 makes this an easy "pass".

If your primary goals are to read Kindle books, surf the net, and buy stuff on Amazon, all without straying too far from the nearest wifi hotspot lest you lose access to your content in the cloud, then yes ...

"If you're not having fun, lower your standards."

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

mottuv wrote:$329.34 at The Electronic Superstore no tax & free shipping

LINK or it didn't happen...

corwin1681

quality posts: 0 Private Messages corwin1681
xaronax wrote:You would have to be out of your mind to spend this kind of money on a last-gen tablet with the new lifecycle and Amazon tablet coming out. Save your money for something decent, Honeycomb is practically abandonware, and I'm as hardcore an Android fan as they come.

xoom was a flagship tablet, and as soon as you turn it on - you will get 3.2, and i'm sure that shortly (no, it wan't be the first one to get it) after 4.0 (ice cream sandwich) comes out, this will be one of the first tablets to get it.

jma07

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jma07

Just sold mine on eBay for $355 and it was literally brand new. I'd had it out of the box for all of a few hours. I bought it with the $100 off coupon at staples and spent $430~ including tax so I took a loss, but these can be found for relatively the same price "new". I'm just personally wary of refurb items.

Disclaimer: This post is not meant to shy you away from the device. It's a wonderful piece of equipment and performs great, just wasn't practical for me.

ksapp82

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ksapp82

Do people just not understand that this is a XOOM and not a HP Touchpad or a Kindle Fire.

I have seen so many comparisons but nothing that is helpful to anyone.

HP Touchpad is a dead obsolete system so it does not equal a XOOM.

Kindle Fire may be cheaper, but it does come with the cameras and other perks that the XOOM has.

XOOM is in a category with an iPad 2. So please stop wasting peoples time and go post somewhere else your pointless opinions. If you have something to say about the XOOM then say it.

XOOMs are still $499 at Bestbuy and $474 if you get an open box, so I would have to say this $350 is a good buy.

woot.com = 11 woots
shirt.woot = 31 woots
sellout.woot = 3 woots
kids.woot = 4 woots
home.woot = 2 woot
Shirt Trades/Sold = 7/9

nikescar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nikescar

I would much rather get the Eee Pad Transformer for the same price.

http://www.jr.com/asus/pe/ASU_TF101A1_hy_BS/

Then you get the option of buying the awesome keyboard dock.

editorkid

quality posts: 91 Private Messages editorkid
Benz145 wrote:The Xoom wouldn't be my first choice in tablet. I've had my hands on it and it's heavy, lacks ports, and Honeycomb isn't nearly as stable as it should be -- still needs time to mature. ... Many of you will likely be more interested in the Kindle Fire, that Amazon just announced today, which is 7" and runs for just $199 ...

So how do you knock this for not having enough ports and then tout the Kindle Fire?

jbotcher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbotcher

Agree with editorkid - nice tablet. Got mine for airline points, so no cash out. Useful for e-mail and web, but WiFi only, so either find WiFi or tether to phone or mobile hotspot.

pphilipp

EasyGoinGal wrote:I feel the same way.

I've owned tons of tablets and laptops. My newest tablet (iPad) has replaced my laptop for various situations... airport, airplane, car travel, walking around while holding, starbucks, etc, etc.

A laptop is fine when you have a lap or a table to place it on, but when you don't have either, that's when a tablet shines!

AlyssaMuller

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AlyssaMuller

CNET compares the Ipad2 vs the Zoom here: http://reviews.cnet.com/2722-3126_7-1085.html

nikescar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nikescar
ksapp82 wrote:Do people just not understand that this is a XOOM and not a HP Touchpad or a Kindle Fire.

I have seen so many comparisons but nothing that is helpful to anyone.

HP Touchpad is a dead obsolete system so it does not equal a XOOM.

Kindle Fire may be cheaper, but it does come with the cameras and other perks that the XOOM has.

XOOM is in a category with an iPad 2. So please stop wasting peoples time and go post somewhere else your pointless opinions. If you have something to say about the XOOM then say it.

XOOMs are still $499 at Bestbuy and $474 if you get an open box, so I would have to say this $350 is a good buy.

The HP TouchPad already has a port of CM7 which makes it about as far from obsolete as you can get.

As far as the Fire, it has a dual core processor, better screen and for some, a more comfortable size. The only real spec that it is lacking is the cameras.

The Xoom, while a fine tablet, is not to compelling of a purchase compared to a lot of other options out there right now.

madisn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages madisn

Kindle fire and xoom are two totally different animals. The fire is a bad ass e-reader, but with only 8G storage, no cameras, no speakers it just cant compare to the xoom. The Fire I ordered for my wife will be great for books and internet browsing, but the xoom is a power packed tablet that can also be an e-reader. I have had my xoom since day one and love it.

pphilipp

AlyssaMuller wrote:CNET compares the Ipad2 vs the Zoom here: http://reviews.cnet.com/2722-3126_7-1085.html

When the Xoom was first released, I played with it; the iPad 2; and the iPad 1, side by side. I ended up purchasing the iPad 1 since the price had been reduced and I felt like it performed better than the (then) overpriced Xoom.