gotons

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gotons

My DSLR doesn't do video, so this is going to work great. In for one!

HoDad

quality posts: 4 Private Messages HoDad
kerriel wrote:wondering if this would be good for shooting little footage of my daughter? Also wondering can you remove videos off of it and save to computer?

Yes and yes.

HoDad

quality posts: 4 Private Messages HoDad
modelflight123 wrote:can you add a memory card if you want more time??

No.

yelladkcir

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yelladkcir

Will I be able to edit the video on iMovie?

kerriel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kerriel
HoDad wrote:Yes and yes.

TY

lindyp330

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lindyp330

I bought one the first time they were on WOOT and then I bought another the 2nd time for a friend with grand kids. I'm in for three more! Christmas is coming and these things are the best quality, easiest to use of all the video cameras I have had. The editing software is really user-friendly too.

neseattle

quality posts: 7 Private Messages neseattle
kerriel wrote:wondering if this would be good for shooting little footage of my daughter? Also wondering can you remove videos off of it and save to computer?

They are perfect to shoot video of your children. I gave one of the older version to my nephew for his first child and he use the Flip MUCH more often than his DV camera. These are so convenient.

Yes, it shows up on a PC or Mac and you can drag the .mp4 files to your drive, then edit in iMovie, Windows Movie Maker or any other editing program. I love it with iMovie 6 HD. You can even rotate the video clips.

How did I get here?

http://www.funnytimes.com/cartoons.php?cotw_id=20090923

neseattle

quality posts: 7 Private Messages neseattle
yelladkcir wrote:Will I be able to edit the video on iMovie?

Yes. I use iMovie 6 HD (which you can download free if you have newer versions), but it will work in any version.

If you have a Quicktime Pro key, you can even edit these in Quicktime!

Here are a couple that I shot last week with my Flip - the .mp4 is original, the .mov was trimmed and exported in Quicktime Pro.

The .mp4 also shows the zoom.

http://www.box.net/signup/collablink/d_122224045/3aa3c7a8148b4

How did I get here?

http://www.funnytimes.com/cartoons.php?cotw_id=20090923

gcarr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gcarr

Accessories for Flip Camera:
Wide angle Lens, Tripod, Underwater Housing, Power Adapter.

http://www.theflip.com/en-us/products/accessories.aspx

coolbro12389

quality posts: 3 Private Messages coolbro12389

After working in a big name retail store for quite a while now and seeing the flips and other pocket camcorders, when i went to buy one i defiantly stayed away from flip, they were by far our most returned camcorder, the other day i was selling one of our last flips on clearance and the dang thing kept freezing on us over and over, we had alot of them freeze randomly or say the brand new batteries were dead. tho for this price its defiantly a good deal if you dont mind having a extremely basic camera. i got a kodak myself for only $99 at my local walmart and love it, i have yet to use the usb arm on the kodak i just take out the memory card :P hell they got a deal now for $99 u can get the waterproof one with a 4gb memory card and a floatstrap

alexduhon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alexduhon

I ordered two earlier..........but now I decided I want one more and the site won't let me purchase an additional one. How can I buy one more without having to create a new account?

warmgeoff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages warmgeoff

In for two; seems a great bargain for an everyday palmcorder with img. stabilization and ~1h of hd video!
-watched couple reviews/vids, and I'm satisfied with overall opins.
-to naysayers: hey, its a $40 handheld vidcoder--buy one...

A lazy person will suffer a heavier burden to save a second trip...

ahecht

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ahecht

One thing I noticed about these is that they are about 5cm wide, which means that two of them side-by-side would be perfect for shooting 3D video. Since these have standard 1/4-20 tripod mounts, just take a piece of wood, drill two 1/4" holes 5-6 cm apart, and feed a couple of 1/4-20 machine screws through the holes. Then just attach one camera to each screw, and figure out how to press two red buttons at the same time.

Install a 1/4-20 blind nut from your favorite hardware store on the bottom of the piece of wood and you can even mount you new $85 3D camera to a tripod.

krouth

quality posts: 2 Private Messages krouth

Great deal! Picked one up for my Mom and Dad for Christmas.

yelladkcir

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yelladkcir

Anyone know how this thing will hold up in cold weather conditions? I ski in really cold places. Will the touch buttons be affected?

MrSlug

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MrSlug

We use one of these (albeit pre-Cisco) at work. They are very easy to use and uploading to youtube, etc. is a breeze.

I'm usually stuck being the videographer/uploader by default, and as far as I'm concerned, the simpler, the better.

For those who are interested, click here for examples of audio/video quality.

Most of the videos were shot indoors, without a tripod, although there are a few that were done outdoors. Any non-HD videos you see were obviously not shot with the Flip.

grubesicgirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grubesicgirl

Could a smart 5 year old operate this?

davidm3286

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidm3286

I understand the negatives ... and they are valid points.

But a cheap, dead easy to use cam that I have no hesitation mounting on bikes, helmets, kites etc where it could be easily damaged and can be carried anywhere in a pocket? This is it. In.

alphajolt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alphajolt
ben242 wrote:I like this deal, ordered one unit. I have a Canon 5D Mark II, which is awesome for HD video (although the buit-in mic is terrible, FYI), but I would never dream of mounting the 5D on the handlebars of my bike and riding around NYC with it.

A $40 Flip, on the other hand, is perfect to put on my bike! Stoked! And shopping for a good handlebar mount. Anyone have a recommendation? Tons of different parts on ebay, but I'm never used one before, not sure if there's a "best" one.

Ben242
Saw a handlebar mount on Amazon:
http://amzn.to/n1VDFf

aaulisi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aaulisi
grubesicgirl wrote:Could a smart 5 year old operate this?

The five-year-old doesn't even have to be that smart, frankly. It's stupidly easy to use.

wtftastic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wtftastic

In for one. For this price, its hard to beat. I've got an ancient digital camcorder that uses either SD or some sort of tape, and this is so small and sleek. I'm definitely looking forward to emailing stupid videos of my dog to family members.

canyon2988

quality posts: 0 Private Messages canyon2988

Is this easy enough to use for an 8 year old ?

Edit- Never mind I just saw the post about the 5 year old.

bobcline

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobcline
meowlly wrote:This is a great mount for the Flip. http://www.amazon.com/Flip-Video-AAT1B-Action-Tripod/dp/B003N7NPF4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318003454&sr=8-2

That's a cool tripod -- I got one to put on my bike, thanks!

aaulisi

canyon2988 wrote:Is this easy enough to use for an 8 year old ?

Edited to redact my comment since you saw the post about the 5 year old.

canyon2988

quality posts: 0 Private Messages canyon2988

I wanted a small camcorder for my child's Christmas present. Thanks Woot!

hoss75

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoss75
mbrickell wrote:With all due respect right back atcha, ....

I don't know anyone in currently in school or that works at an apple store. So it is not rare to not have an in. And I know what 'refurbished' means, thanks.

33volts

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 33volts
ahecht wrote:One thing I noticed about these is that they are about 5cm wide, which means that two of them side-by-side would be perfect for shooting 3D video. Since these have standard 1/4-20 tripod mounts, just take a piece of wood, drill two 1/4" holes 5-6 cm apart, and feed a couple of 1/4-20 machine screws through the holes. Then just attach one camera to each screw, and figure out how to press two red buttons at the same time.

Install a 1/4-20 blind nut from your favorite hardware store on the bottom of the piece of wood and you can even mount you new $85 3D camera to a tripod.

Great Idea! Another advantage is that the camera has a fixed focus, so you wouldn't have to worry about having differing autofocus for each camera.

About the only difficulty about this item is making sure the frames are in sync with each other (although with 60 fps instead of 30 fps this isn't quite as important). You could probably rig up some device to hit the record button on both cameras at the same time to mitigate this issue, however.

This guy did something similar with Kodak ZX1's, but those looked like they were a bit more money than these.

This kinda reminds me of the glory days of CHDK where you could do the same stuff, only with still 3D. It was impressive though, as this was still about 3-4 years before affordable consumer level 3D cameras started coming out on the market.

the only thing cheaper than time is money

aaulisi

I'm in for one. I have the original, first gen Flip (the one that takes batteries!) and I love it. Frankly, if I didn't have to buy a bike rack tonight, I probably would have been in for two or three. Great price for a decent piece of equipment.

tayswimmer88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tayswimmer88

Thanks for the great review!!

jag216

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jag216
ahecht wrote:One thing I noticed about these is that they are about 5cm wide, which means that two of them side-by-side would be perfect for shooting 3D video. Since these have standard 1/4-20 tripod mounts, just take a piece of wood, drill two 1/4" holes 5-6 cm apart, and feed a couple of 1/4-20 machine screws through the holes. Then just attach one camera to each screw, and figure out how to press two red buttons at the same time.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-build-3d-video-camera-using-2-flip-mino-hd-cameras-367641/

The only question I would have about this process is whether the image stabilization in both units would desync the 3d effect. If you can't disable it, this setup may not work depending on how the image stabilization functions.

genocaust

quality posts: 0 Private Messages genocaust

Love my classic Flip (non-HD). Easy to use, great quality for the price. Snatched up two of these for early Christmas shopping!

ben242

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ben242
pa2ca98 wrote:How about getting one of those little tripods with flexible legs that you can mount to just about anything?

Like the Gorillapod? I'd be nervous about it sliding around. The mounts I have in mind are designed to be attached to a cylindrical bike fork or handlebars, and can be tightened very securely, and since they're not very expensive, I think its a better solution. Gorillapods are neat, though, for other uses.

indycarpenter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages indycarpenter
ben242 wrote:I like this deal, ordered one unit. I have a Canon 5D Mark II, which is awesome for HD video (although the buit-in mic is terrible, FYI), but I would never dream of mounting the 5D on the handlebars of my bike and riding around NYC with it.

A $40 Flip, on the other hand, is perfect to put on my bike! Stoked! And shopping for a good handlebar mount. Anyone have a recommendation? Tons of different parts on ebay, but I'm never used one before, not sure if there's a "best" one.

http://www.clamperpod.com/Cpod2.html

iveo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iveo

Do you think this will be the cheapest it gets till January? My daughter is being born in Jan so I don't need it till then (already have a VadoHD).

brennanthl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brennanthl
alexduhon wrote:I ordered two earlier..........but now I decided I want one more and the site won't let me purchase an additional one. How can I buy one more without having to create a new account?

You can't. You have to buy 1, 2, or 3 in your initial purchase and that's all you can buy with that account for the day. You have to use a different payment method and different account to buy another one. I just went through the same exact thing and ended up buying one with paypal and one with my CC.

alecdaman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alecdaman

Just wooted my first Flip MinoHD, I needed a cheap HD camcorder to mount on top of my car when I do some "spirited driving". This camcorder should do the trick, right? Does anyone know how this whole woot thing works? Who ships it out?

walvarezDVM

quality posts: 0 Private Messages walvarezDVM

Does anyone know if this thing can have an external mic plugged into it? since I'm hearing a lot that its internal mic sucks?

ccawker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ccawker

Tigers Direct has the 8gb for 59.99

ccawker

jag216 wrote:http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-build-3d-video-camera-using-2-flip-mino-hd-cameras-367641/

The only question I would have about this process is whether the image stabilization in both units would desync the 3d effect. If you can't disable it, this setup may not work depending on how the image stabilization functions.

And if i knew McGyver i would do this

ccawker

ccawker wrote:And if i knew McGyver i would do this

......because he can do it with a paperclip and duct tape