jborourke

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jborourke

This is like that old Eddie Murphy bit about the lady falling down the stairs. "I'm halfway down now, Lord!"

sidelsky18

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sidelsky18
fxfuji wrote:Wow, >150 comments and it still seems like there are lots of units left. Either these things are selling like sand in the desert, or the Woot nation has much to say about the Xoom. Or maybe Motorola dumped a ton of these on Woot in preparation for their mobility unit's acquisition by Google.

Speaking of Google's proposed purchase of Motorola Mobility, does anyone know whether it's just the cell phone business, or are tablets and other Android devices included? I still feel that if the Xoom were rebranded with the Google trademark they'd sell at this price (or even higher) like the proverbial hotcakes.

There were a lot of these to begin with. Wootalyzer says there's 40% stock left with the next woot coming at about 11:35AM central.

Woots Purchased
---------------
Bundle of Carrots (10/12/11)
Barge of Cats (4/24/13)

eldiablohijo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages eldiablohijo
seahokedrama wrote:Easy solution.

Sell one of the kids and buy the other a Xoom with the proceeds.

They'd return the kid, then i'd have refurbished kid and a refurbished Xoom and no money.

valorum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages valorum
atlaswithafist wrote:So, does this run Skype?

Yes. Did video chat with a friend last night actually, showing him stuff i was working on through the back camera.

joecooool

quality posts: 24 Private Messages joecooool

Just bought one. I plan on using this to make calls from Germany back to the United States through Skype. I will have to us Skype's pay service but that is still a heck of a lot cheaper than paying the $2 a minute for my cell phone. My question is about head sets. Can I use a blue tooth head set with this or should I buy a wired headset with a microphone?

jaymonster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaymonster
c45513 wrote:So after a bit of contemplation, i have decided not to buy this. However tempting it is to buy a $500 tablet for $350, the xoom is starting to get old for electronic equipment, and i get the feeling (with ice cream sandwich and all) that they will just end up releasing a new, significantly better tablet soon, making this obsolete. As neat as tablets are, they do not quite meet my expectations. Especially a refurbished one.

The Xoom 2 is already leaked... but it is an 8.9" device and not a 10.1 Also, since this is a reference device, it will almost certainly get Ice Cream Sandwich.

There are no Quad Core tablets even showing up in leaks so it will be some time before they are released, and even longer before they are discounted.

So right now, with a Dual Core Tegra 2 and 32GB of storage (before adding an SD Card), you are still getting what is close to the top (if not the top) in specs... but without the corresponding price tag.

usty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages usty

This is a good price for these, but Motorola will be announcing a couple of new Xoom models on 10/18. If you can wait a little longer, the price might drop a whole lot more in a month.

reznik987

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reznik987
atlaswithafist wrote:So, does this run Skype?

Yes, works great.

ggrote

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ggrote
jet314 wrote:What a nice dad you are !! You need another son?

Well, he is a really good son ... never (not once!) caused us grief while a teenager ... so it's pretty easy to do stuff like this for him once in a while.

And you? ;-)

"If you're not having fun, lower your standards."

nyberg1283

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nyberg1283
sgiff wrote:10. Because it has a much better graphics processor.

09. Because it allows you to download apps that were not "approved" by Apple's app police.

08. Because you can customize the look of it to your desire instead of being stuck with brand mandated look.

07. Because you believe in individual freedom and are not a clone.

06. Because you support open source environments.

05. Because you dont' want to look like all of your friends.

04. Because you enjoy having real navigation instead of one button that takes back to the previous screen.

03. Because there are way more free android apps out there.

02. Because it would be really nice to see the adobe flash app on the page you are visiting.

01. Because Apple sucks and has way too many people hypnotized with their cult of brand identity.

AMEN BROTHA!

jaymonster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaymonster
fxfuji wrote:

Speaking of Google's proposed purchase of Motorola Mobility, does anyone know whether it's just the cell phone business, or are tablets and other Android devices included? I still feel that if the Xoom were rebranded with the Google trademark they'd sell at this price (or even higher) like the proverbial hotcakes.

The Mobility Division include the handsets, tablets and settop boxes (cable boxes).

Google stated though that they would run Motorola Mobility as a free standing subsidiary, thus the name Motorola would stay on the devices.

davidacobb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidacobb
jborourke wrote:This is like that old Eddie Murphy bit about the lady falling down the stairs. "I'm halfway down now, Lord!"

Seriously... let's move on!

rangerlg

quality posts: 8 Private Messages rangerlg
jaymonster wrote:You do know the Thrive is both thicker and heavier than the Xoom... right?

Seeing as I have not seen the Thrive, no. But the specs for the Thrive might outweigh (no pun intended) the issues.

harley501

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harley501
NascarDad wrote:Any opinions from those who wooted ths last time around?

I got one last time around and I LOVE it. Got it in perfect condition and only took about a week to arrive. I love to run on the treadmill while using the Kindle app. The screen is big and clear. I did my research and found this cheaper than anywhere else! I don't regret my purchase at all.

rebeltreble

quality posts: 17 Private Messages rebeltreble
WilfBrim wrote:I'm thinking about getting this for the significant other for Christmas, maybe this will shut her up about the engagement ring..

Sheesh with that attitude buy the Xoom for yourself and kick the S.O. to the curb. When I suggested marriage would be a good idea my husband (boyfriend at the time) immediately went out and bought a ring and then anxiously waited a month for Valentine's Day to come around. He was barely able to keep it a secret since he was so excited to get engaged to me.

Signatures are harshing my mellow.

tmacfarlan

quality posts: 10 Private Messages tmacfarlan

Bought this last time. Great device, and has a very active developer community at the xda forums

http://forums.xda-developers.com

Easy to root, great custom rom for it, and now supports backtrack5 for the information security professionals among us.

chronoglass

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chronoglass

I miss my xoom.. it's in the cold unfeeling hands of verizon. waiting it's turn for release from the slowest speed upgrade ever...

I hope it's not hungry

dionysus1971

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dionysus1971

Dammit. Pulled the trigger. Ah, sweet regret. What would we do without you?

graygamer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages graygamer

I got one of these, I'm generally happy with it.

No problems so far.

alaskajoel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alaskajoel

ugh, epic item is epic

chudney31

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chudney31

Anyone have any experience or know if this is a good tablet to use a stylus on? I need something to take notes at meetings. I tend to lose my notes.

Mydnyte

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Mydnyte

I almost pulled the trigger on one of these one of the last time they were offered, but then I found out that they don't support Adobe Flash.

I went with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 instead - and I'm not regretting the decision one bit.

Over FOUR HUNDRED Woots and counting.....

DFSNAPA

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DFSNAPA

Still no Jet Ski!

aolshove

quality posts: 10 Private Messages aolshove
Mydnyte wrote:I almost pulled the trigger on one of these one of the last time they were offered, but then I found out that they don't support Adobe Flash.

What? They do absolutely support Adobe Flash. Nice Mustang in your avatar BTW, what year?

Edit: Oohhh.. yeah maybe when they were first released but it's all good now.

rangerlg

quality posts: 8 Private Messages rangerlg
Mydnyte wrote:I almost pulled the trigger on one of these one of the last time they were offered, but then I found out that they don't support Adobe Flash.

I went with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 instead - and I'm not regretting the decision one bit.

It does support Flash. Where did you hear that?

soldiergirl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages soldiergirl

----

I think it does s upport Adobe Flash.

withagirllikeme

quality posts: 0 Private Messages withagirllikeme
ggrote wrote:Well, he is a really good son ... never (not once!) caused us grief while a teenager ... so it's pretty easy to do stuff like this for him once in a while.

And you? ;-)

I think he needs a little more than a xoom to spice up his life if he never caused you any trouble!

BuffBillsFan

quality posts: 8 Private Messages BuffBillsFan
sgiff wrote:10. Because it has a much better graphics processor.

Dimensions - Xoom is 16x10, whereas iPad is 4x3. The 4x3 does make it easier to hold in portrait mode, but in landscape mode you get true widescreen viewing. If watching movies you will get a larger picture, with fewer (if any) black bars on the top and bottom (ie - no letterboxing*)

I've found that when I use my Xoom as an ereader, it works better in portrait mode. Takes a minute or two to get used to holding it that way (kind of top-heavy), but I like it.

* Is "letterboxing" a real word?

BadgerAPEX

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BadgerAPEX

At one point Staples had a $100 off cupon on tablets. At that time I bought an Acer A500 new which I got for $299 after all discounts.

I still believe that is an apropriate price for a NEW tablet. The fire sale of HP Touchpads at $99, and the slower than expected sales of Andriod based tablets at $499 should tell you something. New Android tablets should be around $300.

IMO this thing, refurbed, is overpriced. Then again, move this woot along and Buy 3!

chrissn13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chrissn13

My finger slipped, hopefully helping it to move along. I wanted one anyways. XD

ggrote

withagirllikeme wrote:I think he needs a little more than a xoom to spice up his life if he never caused you any trouble!

Point taken ... I should probably say that we never found out about anything that would have caused us grief!

Nope, as I recall, the most stress he ever caused us was getting injured during soccer games, which is sorta tough to blame him for ... and now he's going to be by Xoom tutor ;-)

stanishr99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stanishr99

Pass, maybe in a few years.

sharkraider

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sharkraider
AuraDave wrote:Why buy this when you can get a touchpa....never mind, you can't get a touchpad.

Just got my touchpad this past weekend. Gotta say, not bad for $150 bucks (HP Employee deal).

sharkraider

randyhouse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages randyhouse

I just got a $150 touchpad...not loving it...

This browser is a pain.
Simple things dont work.

Thinking I might need a android device...

tjsumner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjsumner
Tshirt wrote:It is OK, because you have no idea about:
- Google's tight grip on Android
- The sales figures of Android vs iOS

I'm curious if you are being serious...I know, for me at least, it's very hard to distinguish between being serious or sarcastic, especially in the woot community (it seems to be a very grey line). The last I read, Android's market share is nearing triple that of iOs, and what tight grips does Google have on Android?

awinters

quality posts: 1 Private Messages awinters

Seriously Woot, it aint happening. Take the tablet down. It just aint happening.

ggrote

BuffBillsFan wrote:Dimensions - Xoom is 16x10, whereas iPad is 4x3. The 4x3 does make it easier to hold in portrait mode, but in landscape mode you get true widescreen viewing. If watching movies you will get a larger picture, with fewer (if any) black bars on the top and bottom (ie - no letterboxing*)

I've found that when I use my Xoom as an ereader, it works better in portrait mode. Takes a minute or two to get used to holding it that way (kind of top-heavy), but I like it.

* Is "letterboxing" a real word?

Yeah ... if there was one thing I would change in the Xoom, it would be to make it 4:3 ... but that's because I'm more concerned with viewing photos and documents than streaming movies.

isilveus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages isilveus

So am I the only one who can only see one comment?

EnsRedShirt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EnsRedShirt

I have the 4G version of this and love it. I put hours of my favorite tv shows and movies on it, and with the HDMI port I can play them on any HDTV.

wolfwood316

quality posts: 8 Private Messages wolfwood316
rangerlg wrote:I played with a Xoom and thought it was too thick. I do have an iPad2, but would prefer an Asus Transformer or maybe even a Toshiba Thrive.

A friend of mine rushed out and bought a Thrive. He already sold it and replaced it with the Transformer. The Thrive has some very nice features, especially in terms of the various connectors already built in. However, it feels *very* thick, and honestly we both thought the screen kind of sucked. Colors were not very vibrant.