garthmck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garthmck
snang wrote:It's an IBM company.

Lenovo bought IBM's PC business years ago. Not and IBM company. A Chinese company.

bobcumings

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobcumings

I really want to buy one, but I need to know if there is a way to hook up my HP Laser Jet 2300 to it. Can anybody help me.

robert cumings jr

razz0rt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages razz0rt
shygirl42 wrote:can anyone comment on Lenovo customer service and tech support? I have been hearing "really" bad things about it.

i wanted to buy a Lenovo till i heard how bad customer service is.

i tried emailing them 3 times with various questions to see for myself and never got a single reply - not very reassuring.

right now i don't know what to buy since money is an issue and Lenovo customer service seems non-existant.

(i'm not a techy like many of you and i rely on tech support & customer service if i have a problem)

Try calling them. I've never seen ANY company respond to their emails. My company is a Lenovo dealer, and I've had to call them many times for different reasons, and it's always awesome.

flyfisherwiz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages flyfisherwiz

Processor Cache Answer

"Lenovo B560-433028U laptop is powered by Intel Pentium P6200 processor which is a dual core processor. Each core of the processor operates at 2.13GHz and has 3MB of L3 cache which is shared between two cores dynamically. Intel has termed it Intel smart cache."

GadgetsFreak.biz Lenovo B560-433028U laptop Review- Intel Pentium P6200/2GB RAM

SuperNinja

quality posts: 18 Private Messages SuperNinja
bobcumings wrote:I really want to buy one, but I need to know if there is a way to hook up my HP Laser Jet 2300 to it. Can anybody help me.

There's usually a way.

What type interface ports are on the back of the one you want to connect to?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

lfelliott wrote:does anybody know what kind of "game" capabilities today's WOOT has?

jessiesjackson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jessiesjackson

what does refurbished mean? is it used? Should I trust this?

Havokk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Havokk
snang wrote:A newer version of this laptop is available at Best Buy for the same price, brand new.

bestbuy.com

thanks!

tp546

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tp546
gslander wrote:what? no trackpoint eraserhead?

dealbreaker for me - i hate the touchpad

Geniekid

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Geniekid

I think I say this every other time a laptop like this shows up, but 1366 x 768 is too low a resolution for this screen size. My 14" ASUS laptop is 1366 x 768 and I already find that to be too low.

For this price, that may be acceptable to you, but just keep in mind it's a downside.

NetworkDr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NetworkDr

http://www.cowboom.com/product/895379

Lenovo Y510 Laptop Laptop C2D 2.1GHz 2GB 320GB DVDRW
Starts from: $194.48

Woot....I love ya, man, but you really need to make these "IBM Stinkpads" a better deal.

flyfisherwiz

jessiesjackson wrote:what does refurbished mean? is it used? Should I trust this?

Refurbished products have the same level of quality, or better (as they may have been updated with the latest components, drives etc.) than the same product that is sold as new.

What is refurbished?

- The item may have been returned to the manufacturer because of a slight defect. The part that was defective was replaced by the manufacturer, tested and then repackaged just like new.

-The item was returned because of a minor cosmetic blemish on the casing that was corrected.

-Demonstration units are also considered factory refurbished. These units are inspected, tested and repackaged.

-The box may have simply been opened. That’s it!

-Brand new overstocked items are also labeled factory refurbished.

Statistics state that consumers who have already purchased a factory refurbished item will never buy "new" again. I fit in that statistic.

Hope that answers your question.

flyfisherwiz

Havokk wrote:thanks!

NOT the same.

jeanswear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeanswear
shygirl42 wrote:can anyone comment on Lenovo customer service and tech support? I have been hearing "really" bad things about it.

i tried emailing them 3 times with various questions to see for myself and never got a single reply - not very reassuring.

right now i don't know what to buy since money is an issue and Lenovo customer service seems non-existant.

(i'm not a techy like many of you and i rely on tech support & customer service if i have a problem)

Shygirl, I have had a Lenovo laptop for about 5 years now. No complaints other than the case cracking from too much carrying in one hand like a tray. I have never used Lenovo tech support as I am a techie and find "technical support" to be an exercise in frustration.

regassert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages regassert
radi0j0hn wrote:Are you SURE of that??? I thought the Chinese bought the brand, so unless IBM is Chinese, I don't think you are correct. Why would anyone drop the WELL KNOWN name "IBM" and change it to something nobody has heard of?? It would be like dropping the name "FORD" and changing it to "DINGLE."

Yeah, Lenovo purchased IBM's PC division quite a while ago.

pirouette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pirouette

I had a problem with my lenovo ideapad about 6 months ago. I thought they had EXCELLENT customer service. They walked me through the processes very smoothly and sent me the necessary emails to send it off. I sent my laptop off on a Monday, I expected to get it back in a week or so. I called the company, to see the progress of my laptop and told me it arrived 3 days earlier (The Wednesday after I sent it to them). I was really pleased with their customer service, I thought it was MUCH better than Toshiba's customer service. Well at least in the warranty department.

dkim11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dkim11
radi0j0hn wrote:Are you SURE of that??? I thought the Chinese bought the brand, so unless IBM is Chinese, I don't think you are correct. Why would anyone drop the WELL KNOWN name "IBM" and change it to something nobody has heard of?? It would be like dropping the name "FORD" and changing it to "DINGLE."

Yeap, I heard the same thing. It's chinese for sure. Wish it were korean, as those koreans know how to build tech devices.

hahaha ford to dingle. I like the analogy.

ksivret65

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ksivret65
acidoverride wrote:Wow... and same price too!!! $299.99

Compare:
Best Buy / Woot

4GB RAM / 2GB RAM
250GB HD / 320GB HD
1.6GHz AMD / 2.13GHz Intel
1MB Cache / ?

The processor on the BestBuy model isn't as good. According to one of the IT guys where I work, the WOOT is a better deal.

scubasm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scubasm
ROGETRAY wrote:

I hate you.

regassert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages regassert
Geniekid wrote:I think I say this every other time a laptop like this shows up, but 1366 x 768 is too low a resolution for this screen size. My 14" ASUS laptop is 1366 x 768 and I already find that to be too low.

For this price, that may be acceptable to you, but just keep in mind it's a downside.

Forgive me for what could be a dumb question as I am just a business user and actually watch TV on a TV and play games on a game console; so do you need more resolution for on a 15" screen?

theWanker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theWanker

$55 for a ram upgrade to 8gb. http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/compatible-memory-for/Lenovo/Lenovo+B560/list.html

beyondforgiveness

quality posts: 2 Private Messages beyondforgiveness

I just realized what "Monster A-Go Go (1965)" replaced. :]

extremus2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages extremus2

We are on our second Lenovo laptop - dependable, well made. We have never had to use customer support (knock on wood) so I can not speak to that.

brucedoesbms

quality posts: 158 Private Messages brucedoesbms

Here is a Crucial.com link for RAM expansion...
Basically, 8GB for $55... also, SSDs included in that link...

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "

finnthefickle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages finnthefickle

I'm thinking of getting this for my 89-year-old grandmother as a first real, "modern" computer (she had an ancient hand-me-down laptop but it was so old that it struggled to run Windows XP, so she rarely used it because it drove her nuts.) She would mostly use it for internet, e-mail, Skype video chat, etc. *Maybe* Netflix. This looks to me like it would be fine for that kind of usage, would I be right to think so?

Thanks

pierce900

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pierce900

[quote postid="4674446" user="shygirl42"]can anyone comment on Lenovo customer service and tech support? I have been hearing "really" bad things about it.

(i'm not a techy like many of you and i rely on tech support & customer service if i have a problem)[/quote

I love lenovos American tech support. I had a hd go bad and they overnighted me a new one.

wootwootman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootwootman

How funny. I am literally going to be the best source on here, for information regarding Lenovo tech support. haha. The company I work for, IS Lenovo tech support in the Americas. Lenovo tech support is performed, like most tech support out there, by another company, called xxxxxxx out of Atlanta, GA. Lenovo lets us (only a few of us that do all of the support) be pretty generous within reason with our callers. I would say Lenovo and Sony tech support are the best out there. Especially with the thinkpad. It's so modular, we can easily send you an entire cd drive in two days to replace a bad one, and all you have to do is pop the old one out (easssssy) and put the new one in, ship the old one back with our pre-paid label/box. We also troubleshoot alot. Go ahead, buy it! Lenovos are business computers, so we have to treat every customer like a business professional.

ionman

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ionman
bobcumings wrote:I really want to buy one, but I need to know if there is a way to hook up my HP Laser Jet 2300 to it. Can anybody help me.

According to the specifications I can find on HP's web site, this VERY OLD (c.2002) laser printer has a parallel port and a USB 1.1 port. You may also have an optional network card installed. So it stands to reason that you'll be able to hook up to the USB port, or perhaps a network.

If Windows 7 doesn't automatically install a driver for your printer (it likely will) you can download one on the HP web site.

wootwootman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootwootman

You know, I almost forgot to tell you the most important thing about these refurbs. It seems that I finally have an outlet to the world with this woot deal. As explained in my first post, I and a few others, ARE the Lenovo thinkpad tech support for the Americas.

Here's the deal. And I won't troll or exagerate, I promise. I can't tell you the name of the company I work for, out of Atlanta GA. But, I can tell you, that the average caller is very well taken care of, and that this is because of the fact that most of the refurbs have to be exchanged or parts sent to you, about 3-4 times per laptop within a 2-3 year period. I'm not joking. We have so many repeat callers, most callers, that I know most of them by the sound of their voice after a while, and I've been invited to homes across the country by a multitude of 3-4-5-6 time repeat problem exchanges, part fixes. It's (and I know what trolling is and I'm not doing it) very common for someone to have to swap a bad hard drive, cd drive, keyboard, or entire laptop, as soon as it arrives, like 2-3 times sometimes.

As a rule of thumb, ever since working for Lenovo USA tech support, if I see a product out there that I want, tv, car, computer, and it has awesome customer service or fast swapping of parts, or a super warranty, I question the quality of the product. They give you a warranty, because it is a pos.

seahokedrama

quality posts: 30 Private Messages seahokedrama

Sorry... can't buy... too depressed!

To stay on topic- I like the fact that you can pick up laptops and move them easily. That makes them better than desktops.

I spend 48 houts glued to my computer to win a Box of Cobwebs saw the moment it appeared- spent the next eternity trying to win the darn thing only for it never to load for me.

Got as far as the order page 3 times- but apparantly none of my attempts stuck!

Sooo depressed.

Laptops are cool btw.

panpear

quality posts: 3 Private Messages panpear
Yell0w wrote:are Lenovo laptops any good? never brought from that brand before. looking for a lightweight laptop that i can bring to school, but this one weights 4.9 pounds.

I had a Lenovo for quite a few years before the screen crapped out on me (from age, no doubt). They are very durable machines, so I think you would be able to lug it to and from school no problem. It has more room to type than a lighter netbook, for example, and I bet it can run more too.

Lenovos definitely aren't as flashy or shiny as other computers, but that's because they're more built for work use. This is not a bad laptop for school use, especially for this price.

pturner3

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pturner3

Hello, I purchased a Lenovo T61P on Dec 2007, for personal use. I also purchased the extended warranty (which expires dec 2012). Anyway I had to send the unit back during the first month for a video (Nvidia) problem. I had no issues with the service under the warranty. They shipped me a box next day, I put the unit in it, and two days later I had my laptop back.

>>>>>Fast forward to this month! - The laptop has been working great until this month when the screen started having lines running thru it. I called Lenovo tech support, spoke to someone quickly (english too!) they verified the warranty by my serial number. Next day I had a box on my doorstep to put the laptop in. Two days later I had my laptop back with a new LCD display (which is stunning by the way). So, I give them a thumbs up!

kimahhh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimahhh

Does anyone know how to change my order? I ordered one but a family member is asking I order one for them using my account and it isn't letting me?

hawker11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hawker11

Well Bob, it must have been a long time since someone connected your LaserJet 2300 printer to your printer for you. If you look on the right side, at the rear, you will find a panel that covers the connectors for your printer. LOOK AT IT. The 2300 supports Parallel and USB connections (as well as an EIO option card).

In all likelihood, you will need to replace your parallel printer cable with a USB printer cable. (If you are currently using a USB connection, then just plug it in. If you have your printer connected as a network printer then hire a professional, because you need to.)

Or you can go to the store and buy one of many various adapters available, which may be easier for you.

If you are having trouble with drivers, try this link:
HP LaserJet 2300 drivers

pturner3

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pturner3

Your Laser Jet 2300 has a USB 1.1 port. You need a standard USB cable and the driver which you can get from www.hp.com/drivers

Your printer:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/18972-236251-236263-14638-f51-238800.html

thinkjoey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thinkjoey
pissedoffsol wrote:better machine for the money.
http://www.staples.com/Acer-Aspire-AS5250-BZ467-15.6-Laptop/product_376417_HC2

go to staples instead.

No HDMI port though...the newer one from Best Buy does

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

jjfahey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jjfahey

The build quality in the ThinkPad line is a bit better than on this line, but these are still built well. 2 GB RAM means you can use this out of the box rather than having to up the RAM on Day 1.

mhaserodt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mhaserodt
wootwootman wrote:
As a rule of thumb, ever since working for Lenovo USA tech support, if I see a product out there that I want, tv, car, computer, and it has awesome customer service or fast swapping of parts, or a super warranty, I question the quality of the product. They give you a warranty, because it is a pos.

You mentioned how great Lenovo cust support is, and how quickly everything gets shipped. So you're saying this isn't a very good product?

cwseck1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwseck1

I bought one new, retail, and it would not boot up, ever. Even the first time. I guess that is why these are refurbs? Hope they got the bugs out.