nativefla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nativefla
Havokk wrote:thanks!

But new one has less memory...only 250G harddrive.

thinkjoey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thinkjoey
ksivret65 wrote:The processor on the BestBuy model isn't as good. According to one of the IT guys where I work, the WOOT is a better deal.

He is reading it as Intel vs AMD

of course Intel has a better name standing.

Intel and AMD were quite close in competition...until the i3, i5, and i7's came out

ebreese1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ebreese1

Any idea about a warranty with this item? I noticed it said I can buy an extended warranty but it also seemed to indicate that it has one already. Whats the true story on this?

IamPopeye

quality posts: 3 Private Messages IamPopeye
kimahhh wrote:Does anyone know how to change my order? I ordered one but a family member is asking I order one for them using my account and it isn't letting me?

If you've not received an answer yet...Send an email to service at woot. Explain, if possible, they will bump your order to two.

EnigmaV8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EnigmaV8

EVERYONE... STOP COMPAIRING THIS TO THE BEST BUY/STAPLES OR WHEREVER AMD ONE!!

The AMD one is basically a Netbook and compares to high-end Atom processor. This Intel P6200 is a true dual CPU very similar in performance (or better) to a Core 2 T7400. Not even close people!

georgestopka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages georgestopka

Maybe it's just me, but can anybody out there see the supposed 4-in-1 card reader that's mentioned in the writeup?

Craig234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Craig234
gtmaster303 wrote:The bestbuy laptop is technically $20 more, because of tax...

No, it's not. You still owe the tax on income taxes. Not paying it is being a tax cheat.

yossisiegel

quality posts: 4 Private Messages yossisiegel

I know this is 'slow' compared to the i5's of today, but how much faster would this be than my slow as molasses n450 atom netbook?

indus49

quality posts: 0 Private Messages indus49

I had this laptop for a week and returned it. I wasn't a big fan of a lot of the custom tweaks to Win 7 Lenovo made, and it wasn't terribly fast despite being dual core.

But the killer was the case edge, near the trackpad. It's very sharp and digs into your palms. After a while, it felt like razor blades digging into my hands. I rest my hands over the edge, so I couldn't stand it anymore.

Just my 2 cents.

megohnoes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages megohnoes

I love the picture on the screen. Take that NETFLIX. That's for raising your prices.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 168 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

kimahhh wrote:Does anyone know how to change my order? I ordered one but a family member is asking I order one for them using my account and it isn't letting me?

Email us here at service@woot.com and we'll be glad to assist you with your order. Please remember to include your username and original order number so we may help you in a timely manner.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

Caffeineismydrug

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Caffeineismydrug

Bahh--
It's not a T-Series Thinkpad, No Evil nipple, not the standard keyboard; I simply can't recommend a non Thinkpad model.
The only non-Thinkpad Lenovo I ever bought (a few years ago) I sold to a coworker a day or two later.

<BOYCOTT>Currently on Woot Boycott until Deal-A-Day site is restored to sanity</BOYCOTT>

cyndbird

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cyndbird
acidoverride wrote:Wow... and same price too!!! $299.99

Compare:
Best Buy / Woot

4GB RAM / 2GB RAM
250GB HD / 320GB HD
1.6GHz AMD / 2.13GHz Intel
1MB Cache / ?

But this one has a faster processor & larger hard drive. Less ram, but that can be upgraded later if the user so wishes... I think this is a better deal overall. Thinking about buying one for my 13 year old son, but then will this help him get his homework done faster, or be more of a distraction??

piero

quality posts: 0 Private Messages piero

[Erased]

gedtheold

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gedtheold

Have purchased several lenovos, best service experience there is, except possibly Apple. Old CPU that is good enough to do routine tasks well but no gaming or video edit work. No one makes a better keyboard for a laptop, IMO.

spencerlj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spencerlj
snang wrote:It's an IBM company.

I have used Lenovo laptops for work and home. My work machine has been one of the more solid laptops I have ever used including multiple Toshibas and HP/Compaqs. My wife also uses a Lenovo Netbook and I can attrust to the stability and durability as she does not treat it gently, constantly is throwing in a bag (not a laptop bag), in the floorboard, etc. and it is still working well.
I am a fan of lenovo products.

spencerlj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spencerlj
Yell0w wrote:are Lenovo laptops any good? never brought from that brand before. looking for a lightweight laptop that i can bring to school, but this one weights 4.9 pounds.

I have used Lenovo laptops for work and home. My work machine has been one of the more solid laptops I have ever used including multiple Toshibas and HP/Compaqs. My wife also uses a Lenovo Netbook and I can attrust to the stability and durability as she does not treat it gently, constantly is throwing in a bag (not a laptop bag), in the floorboard, etc. and it is still working well.
I am a fan of lenovo products.

kgregory

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kgregory

Not anymore. It used to be the ThinkPad, which was a solid machine even though it tended to use proprietary drives, etc.

nomadrider

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nomadrider
Yell0w wrote:are Lenovo laptops any good?

I own a Lenovo that I use for my main machine. A $400- NewEgg deal that has served me well for a year now. (Even better with $140.- worth of 8 GB ram and a Seagate momentus drive with 4GBs of SSD in it)
Lenovo is my main recommendation to customers, sturdy and not too much crapware. Hardware seems very good, especially compared to HP.
One of my customers bought one of those BB $299.99 Lenovos and the only thing I found was that a 1.6 GHz dual core is a bit underpowered for large file manipulation, but acceptable for email, web browsing and other simple tasks.
Another bought a Lenovo desktop with a 22" LCD for $430.- @ BB, super machine, want one for myself.
So, yes, Lenovo is OK though I would want a bit more RAM in this one. But that's only $30 - $40 @ NewEgg.

nomadrider

matthewfray

quality posts: 0 Private Messages matthewfray
shygirl42 wrote:can anyone comment on Lenovo customer service and tech support? I have been hearing "really" bad things about it.

i wanted to buy a Lenovo till i heard how bad customer service is.

i tried emailing them 3 times with various questions to see for myself and never got a single reply - not very reassuring.

right now i don't know what to buy since money is an issue and Lenovo customer service seems non-existant.

(i'm not a techy like many of you and i rely on tech support & customer service if i have a problem)

-----

I have never called Lenovo CS but I believe they are offshore. You get to decide if that is good or bad. I currently own both Dell and Lenovo. I do not count on CS from either since I am in the tech industry. I will tell you three things: 1) I own Lenovo and Dell and prefer dell for usability. Toughness goes to Lenovo. 2) Dell moved most of its CS back to the U.S. 3) New is not THAT much more than the refurbished one here. Personally, I do not buy refurbished.

I hope that helps you decide.

MWF

xcalabr08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xcalabr08
theWanker wrote:$55 for a ram upgrade to 8gb. http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/compatible-memory-for/Lenovo/Lenovo+B560/list.html

8gig Corsair via NewEgg $47.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145281

ihsp99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ihsp99

Can anyone tell me if this model is as durable as the newer thinkpad models? Can it handle some serious pressure and what not? Does it come pre-loaded with windows 7?

chowdogg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chowdogg
NetworkDr wrote:http://www.cowboom.com/product/895379

Lenovo Y510 Laptop Laptop C2D 2.1GHz 2GB 320GB DVDRW
Starts from: $194.48

Woot....I love ya, man, but you really need to make these "IBM Stinkpads" a better deal.

It's worth noting that the laptop on cowboom has no OS installed.

theDevGuy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages theDevGuy

Lenovo?

FWIW, I am on my second Thinkpad. I develop software for a living. My first Thinkpad (IBM) was so great (reliable and tremendous service), that I bought a second one.

In the past twelve months, I have had the motherboard replaced twice and the hard disk crash. In every instance, the service has been lousy.

I "escalated" the case to Lenovo, and they promised a call back within 48 hours. No call came. Three weeks later, I escalated again. Another promise of a call back in 48 hours, plus an email address in case of no call. No call. I emailed. No response.

For $299, consider it disposable. If you expect good service from Lenovo, don't. It apparently does NOT exist anymore.

nbrtmpr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nbrtmpr

Used to be IBM but they sold it probably five or more years ago. Now Chinese.

ksilvey19

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ksilvey19
shygirl42 wrote:can anyone comment on Lenovo customer service and tech support? I have been hearing "really" bad things about it.

i wanted to buy a Lenovo till i heard how bad customer service is.

i tried emailing them 3 times with various questions to see for myself and never got a single reply - not very reassuring.

right now i don't know what to buy since money is an issue and Lenovo customer service seems non-existant.

(i'm not a techy like many of you and i rely on tech support & customer service if i have a problem)

I have never owned a Lenovo personally, but my boyfriend has. His had major hardware issues a few months after purchase (purely the faulty computer, something that happened to a lot of them and nothing he did) and so he sent it in to be fixed. Lenovo told him they had to wait on a simple part then would fix it and send it back. Three months later they still hadn't sent it back. It took forever to even get a hold of anyone to talk to, longer to get anything accomplished, but two or so weeks after consistent complaining they finally sent it back "fixed."

They hadn't actually fixed the original problem, and his computer had a big scratch on it that he hadn't put there.

He had to send it again again, because it's nearly impossible to find someone nearby that can work on it without voiding the warranty, and after extremely negative discussions with several higher ups they managed to get it fixed and back in a turn around of about a month. It works, but they managed to break the built-in camera on it in the process, and since the thing had been gone for fixing to the point where the warranty nearly expired in the meantime he didn't bother issuing a complaint and says he'll never buy from them again and lets everyone know how terrible they are.

Hope that helps! I would give this one a miss.

rtameo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rtameo

I've had two ThinkPads (one IBM, one Lenovo) and loved them, but this doesn't look like a ThinkPad.

I mean, it *looks* like a ThinkPad, cuz it's black and built by Lenovo, but I'm not sure this model has all the over engineering that the ThinkPad line is known for.

brightboy111

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brightboy111
Havokk wrote:thanks!

The Best Buy one has an AMD processor, not an Intel. Also smaller hard drive. Not the same thing as this.

equazcion

quality posts: 65 Private Messages equazcion

That dog looks so cuddly. I love Shiba's

Have you been eating that sandwich again?

thefowles1

quality posts: 6 Private Messages thefowles1
Gatzby wrote:Yup, inset credit goes to Taro the Shiba Inu.

Well, look at that! I don't know if I should feel proud because I recognize the breed or dumb because I failed to actually look around a little. ;)

sealag wrote:Link at the bottom of the page with photo credit:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/_tar0_/4903486578/in/photostream/

Ooh, thanks for the link!

thefowles1

quality posts: 6 Private Messages thefowles1
equazcion wrote:That dog looks so cuddly. I love Shiba's

I'm with you!

Scott762

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Scott762
cyndbird wrote:But this one has a faster processor & larger hard drive. Less ram, but that can be upgraded later if the user so wishes... I think this is a better deal overall. Thinking about buying one for my 13 year old son, but then will this help him get his homework done faster, or be more of a distraction??

Second this... RAM is so cheap it's a no-brainer to get this unit with the much faster processor for the same price. I don't need the HDMI for it's use, so I ordered one.

davemac2006

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davemac2006

In 2007 I purchased Lenovo's 3000 N100 via one of the "office" box stores. 4 years later, I've only had to replace the power cord. Recently, the fan started to get noisy... not hateful for 4 years. Has quality declined since 2007, or did I win the laptop lottery...?

wootwootman wrote:You know, I almost forgot to tell you the most important thing about these refurbs. It seems that I finally have an outlet to the world with this woot deal. As explained in my first post, I and a few others, ARE the Lenovo thinkpad tech support for the Americas.

Here's the deal. And I won't troll or exagerate, I promise. I can't tell you the name of the company I work for, out of Atlanta GA. But, I can tell you, that the average caller is very well taken care of, and that this is because of the fact that most of the refurbs have to be exchanged or parts sent to you, about 3-4 times per laptop within a 2-3 year period. I'm not joking. We have so many repeat callers, most callers, that I know most of them by the sound of their voice after a while, and I've been invited to homes across the country by a multitude of 3-4-5-6 time repeat problem exchanges, part fixes. It's (and I know what trolling is and I'm not doing it) very common for someone to have to swap a bad hard drive, cd drive, keyboard, or entire laptop, as soon as it arrives, like 2-3 times sometimes.

As a rule of thumb, ever since working for Lenovo USA tech support, if I see a product out there that I want, tv, car, computer, and it has awesome customer service or fast swapping of parts, or a super warranty, I question the quality of the product. They give you a warranty, because it is a pos.

AVspec

quality posts: 6 Private Messages AVspec

That dog looks just like my Shiba-Inu!

btw1217

quality posts: 0 Private Messages btw1217

The Best Buy one is not easy to find, but here are the differences, some yet to be mentioned. They're both great, but for different people. You decide which features are important.

Best Buy's has a smaller AMD processor, but yields longer battery life, 70gb LESS storage, 2GB MORE RAM, HDMI output, one MORE USB port, a much nicer island-style keyboard, and a fingerprint scanner.

Inversely, Woot's has a larger Intel processor, but less battery life, 70gb MORE storage, 2GB LESS RAM (easily upgradeable), no HDMI output, one LESS USB port, a traditional, but less intuitive keyboard, and no mention of a fingerprint scanner (although it appears to have one in the picture).

mlsapack

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mlsapack

I use a Lenovo lappy at work, and my duaghter uses one at school. They work great. The only problem we have had is that she 'dropped' hers and needed the screen replaced. Cost for a new screen was $215, just under what this entire machine costs! Buy it!!!!!!

macasia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages macasia
Shinespark wrote:Oh ye of little faith.
In what world does 4GB of PC-10600 cost $40?

I am a novis when it comes to PC's and have been trying to learn more because I need to purchase a laptop; this is what I was told:
If I plan to use a pc for home I should buy AMD because it is better for gaming (which suits my 16yo) but if it is for working -office- then I should buy intel pentium, so can anyone out there help me, I don't know if this laptop whether from here or bestbuy would work for me. Your help would be greatly appreciated.......I am the worker, not the gamer

bigstan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bigstan
ROGETRAY wrote:youtube video

now I hate you.

/ 2 shows are outlawed at my house... Barney and Spongebob.
// Phineas & Ferb are my heroes.
/// Okay, i don't really hate you. But you are most definitely NOT getting an invite to Thanksgiving this year.

--
This is an automated signature. If this had been an actual signature, it would say something witty or thought provoking.

sharward

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sharward

Do they make a docking station for this that has a Serial port built-in?

kcartwright

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kcartwright
macasia wrote:I am a novis when it comes to PC's and have been trying to learn more because I need to purchase a laptop; this is what I was told:
If I plan to use a pc for home I should buy AMD because it is better for gaming (which suits my 16yo) but if it is for working -office- then I should buy intel pentium, so can anyone out there help me, I don't know if this laptop whether from here or bestbuy would work for me. Your help would be greatly appreciated.......I am the worker, not the gamer

The CPU in this particular laptop is not that fast, and probably wouldn't play games very well. Its video capabilities are not that good either, so again, you'd be very limited on game playing. It's good for getting on the Internet, writing papers, and playing some simple games, but anything that's newer and cutting edge, like Battlefield 3 or something, wouldn't perform very well on this system.

Both AMD and Intel make CPUs that are good for gaming and some that are not so good for it, so you can't just buy AMD and expect it to be good for gaming. For work vs. game playing, it doesn't really matter, and anyone who can support an AMD processor would be able to support an Intel processor, and vice-versa. A given company may only support a certain model of PC, but just because all of them have Intel CPUs in them doesn't mean they'll be able to support anything with an Intel CPU in it. It would have to be one of their supported models from a specific PC manufacturer, regardless of who made the CPU.

AMD bought out ATI, a maker of video cards, a while back, and they have some products that integrate the CPU and video capabilities perhaps a little better than Intel, but again, you'd need to look for those specific capabilities and not just assume that any AMD-based system would be better for gaming.