edward26

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edward26

I just received mine and the box was damaged along with the laptop it's self, dented on one corner. what now?

Bandrik

quality posts: 71 Private Messages Bandrik
nathlar wrote:if there a trick to installing Win7 clean I would love to know it.

I think the guides I linked to above is precisely what you are looking for. :D

THardey wrote:Anyone having the same crappy experience I'm having with the touch pad? Very erraric pointer.

I'm getting a similar effect. To clarify, my pointer wiggles strangely when I move it with my index finger on the trackpad while I am simultaneously resting my thumb on the left mouse button.

Since this trackpad has multi-touch enabled, it's mistakenly detecting my thumb as a "second finger", which conflicts with the motion it receives from my index finger. Now, why it thinks another finger resting on the mouse button is on the trackpad, I do not know. But I've had this exact same situation on other laptops with multi-touch trackpads before. So consider it an ongoing engineering flaw in run-of-the-mill multi-touch trackpads.

This may be solved with software updates. I believe synaptics makes the trackpad firmware, so check with them.

TL;DR: it's a common flaw in the trackpad hardware and/or software. Trackpad software update may help.

Bandrik

edward26 wrote:I just received mine and the box was damaged along with the laptop it's self, dented on one corner. what now?

I'm definitely NOT woot staff, so all I can offer is what I would do, personally.

I would start by asking myself: does this actually affect my enjoyment of the product? If it doesn't really bother you that much and the laptop runs fine, then just remind yourself that you only paid $400 for a great machine.

If it -does- bother you a lot, and especially if it damaged the internals any, then that is that. Start by contacting woot in the "write us" section, explain what happened. They should take care of you.

If they don't, try going through HP's warranty and RMA process, but don't expect miracles as others seem to have issues with HP warranty claims on refurbished products, which is unfortunate.

Personally, my lappy came with a couple scratches on the outside of the case. Yes, it's annoying, but scratches are a part of the refurb experience. I consider them to be "battle scars".

markv972

quality posts: 0 Private Messages markv972

really..
From CT, to NJ, to OH, to IL..
Um.. it's shipping to TX..
is this around the US in 7 days shipping?? CRAZY!

Hodgkins, IL, United States 10/27/2011 4:09 P.M. Departure Scan

10/27/2011 12:03 A.M. Arrival Scan
Maumee, OH, United States 10/26/2011 9:20 P.M. Departure Scan

10/26/2011 2:35 P.M. Arrival Scan
Parsippany, NJ, United States 10/26/2011 5:27 A.M. Departure Scan

10/26/2011 12:59 A.M. Arrival Scan
Norwalk, CT, United States 10/25/2011 9:28 P.M. Departure Scan

10/25/2011 8:04 P.M. Origin Scan
United States

10/25/2011 11:23 A.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

dismis123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dismis123

Does anyone which one laptop this is? HP Pavilion dc7...what is it the 6165us AMD A-series 1.5ghz 6gb memory 640hdd amd radeon hd notebook or... the i7 dv7-4296nr 2ghz 4gb memory 500hdd? Other than that its an awsome laptop with norton antivirus and symantec and microsoft 2010 home/business

John R.D Kuck

phonepole

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phonepole
wrathx wrote:I can't imagine you would lose any more return privileges whether you open it or not. What I would suggest would be to take a lot of detailed pictures of the packaging first, then email HP's support and explain to them how the product arrived, and to verify what to do if the product was damaged in shipping.

Done, it looked fine on the outside but couldn't connect to my wireless network.. over an hour on the phone with HP support concluded that since the laptop did connect to an unsecured network I should contact my router support, who said since my other wireless devices connected it couldn't be the router.. will wooT give me an RMA, or any other suggestions?

tangywolf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tangywolf

I got around to testing the laptop last night and so far I've been pleased.

I was a little concerned at first when trying to play The Sims 3 and getting sub-par graphical performance, but then I remembered that it automatically switches over to the integrated graphics when unplugged. Switched it back over to the graphics card and everything ran smoothly at highest graphical settings.

Still considering doing a fresh install of Windows 7 though, just for the sake of eliminating lingering registry entries from the uninstalled bloatware.

wrathx

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wrathx
tangywolf wrote:I got around to testing the laptop last night and so far I've been pleased.

I was a little concerned at first when trying to play The Sims 3 and getting sub-par graphical performance, but then I remembered that it automatically switches over to the integrated graphics when unplugged. Switched it back over to the graphics card and everything ran smoothly at highest graphical settings.

Still considering doing a fresh install of Windows 7 though, just for the sake of eliminating lingering registry entries from the uninstalled bloatware.

Yeah, I had a similar experience. Installed WoW, it was running OK, but once plugged in it ran great. Installed L4D2 and it plays really well by default.

I really want to do a clean install, but at the same time, if it ain't broke, don't fix it... so far it's working well for me, so I can't complain.

bunson007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bunson007

I am typing this from my new laptop, which is working well by the way. The only thing that I am wondering about is this: Wasn't the laptop supposed to come with a radeon hd 6370? Mine seems to have a radeon hd 4250. Why is this?

wrathx

bunson007 wrote:I am typing this from my new laptop, which is working well by the way. The only thing that I am wondering about is this: Wasn't the laptop supposed to come with a radeon hd 6370? Mine seems to have a radeon hd 4250. Why is this?

The way I understand it (and I could be wrong, someone feel free to correct me!), it has both... the system comes with an AMD program that handles switching between power-save and performance mode. If you start plugged in, you should automatically be in high performance mode. If you unplug the laptop, it will bring up an ATI prompt asking if you want to switch to power save mode. Vice versa applies as well.

The way I understand it, the 4250 is run under power-save mode, and the 6370 is run under the performance mode.

You can verify if your hardware has this by either opening the graphics properties from the taskbar, or looking up the display devices under device manager (I did this when I had it plugged in). You should see both devices listed there.

Again, this is based on how my system is not only set up, but how it also performs. Hope this helps!

phonepole

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phonepole
phonepole wrote:Done, it looked fine on the outside but couldn't connect to my wireless network.. over an hour on the phone with HP support concluded that since the laptop did connect to an unsecured network I should contact my router support, who said since my other wireless devices connected it couldn't be the router.. will wooT give me an RMA, or any other suggestions?

got my first wooT RMA woooohooooo!! Bet you won't find that in a bundle of crap! Thanx wooT!!

RickinDuxbury1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RickinDuxbury1

Like others, my computer arrived before my shipping notification. Fast! Carton looked a little the worse for wear but lappy seems fine. This whole imbedded MS Office 2010 routine needs some work. I presumed that I could uninstall it from my old Dell E510 and install with 25 digit code number from packaging for Office Home & Student. Seemed to work fine but when I installed Outlook 2007(which I also own, from a different code), bad things started happening.Using Transfer utility to move documents from old XPHome machine made things worse too. Long story short, I spent 8 hours on the phone with HP in the Phillipines, I believe. Ended up wiping the machine back to original state and losing a bunch of documents that I will have to figure out how to move individually. They couldn't have been nicer but they warned me to resolve any issues within the next 90 days.They suggested an extended warrantee but I had already sprung for the Square Trade advertised by Woot. Since I'm not computer literate, it may be 32 vs 64 bit thing, not sure. At any rate, I have my Outlook back but I'm not sure how to get Word 2010 back without having another day of my life stolen.

boonaerts

quality posts: 1 Private Messages boonaerts

After 5 business days, it still does not track my order. I wonder why.

Does the $5 shipping cover over seas? Like to Belgium, Europe?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

boonaerts wrote:After 5 business days, it still does not track my order. I wonder why.

Have you tried using FedEx's “Track by Reference” feature to get tracking info using your order number. Your order number is on your receipt which you can get via My Account. Leave the Account Number blank. Enter your order number in the reference box. Next, select your country and enter your zip code. Click TRACK and voilà, you may have tracking info.

If this doesn't work, go ahead and send an email to service@woot.com so they can assist.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Bandrik

wrathx wrote:You can verify if your hardware has this by either opening the graphics properties from the taskbar, or looking up the display devices under device manager (I did this when I had it plugged in). You should see both devices listed there.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this. After reading the question you replied to, I was wondering what the deal with that was. Makes sense now. :D

boobert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boobert

Just to report I received mine today, the box wasn't torn but lacking tape and opened. Everything was intact and not a scratch on it.It's been up and running for around 30 minutes being updated with no problems.

macraig

quality posts: 7 Private Messages macraig

I already regret accepting the UPS shipment. When I was told I couldn't cancel the order, I seriously debated it for days. This was NOT, simply NOT, professionally refurbished. There is dried liquid debris on the display that was never removed, and the entire laptop SMELLS STRONGLY of nicotine tar. I haven't even turned it on, and I won't. The stench of this thing makes it completely unusable for me, and I know from (professional) experience that nicotine tar does nasty things to computer innards.

Apparently my experience is not unique, considering some of the other post-purchase comments here. WHAT THE FRICK, Woot? Drop-shipping these stinkers sight unseen from some fly-by-night liquidator?

macraig

wrathx

macraig wrote:...

Have you tried contacting HP and getting an RMA? You have a warranty from them and receiving the product in the shape you received it in is definitely bad juju on them, and is worth at least pressing them on. After all, you spent hundreds of dollars on the item, and it was packaged and certified refurb FROM them, so I would start there.

macraig

wrathx wrote:Have you tried contacting HP and getting an RMA? You have a warranty from them and receiving the product in the shape you received it in is definitely bad juju on them, and is worth at least pressing them on. After all, you spent hundreds of dollars on the item, and it was packaged and certified refurb FROM them, so I would start there.

That is certainly going to happen tomorrow. UPS only delivered it an hour and a half ago and it's a safe bet no one is answering the phone at HP right now.

Doing that, however, will in no way diminish my annoyance with the people who directly sold it to me. Meanwhile this laptop sits here imparting its malodorous fragrance to the entire room; it's gonna have to go back in the plastic and box.

kkshields

quality posts: 14 Private Messages kkshields
macraig wrote:That is certainly going to happen tomorrow. UPS only delivered it an hour and a half ago and it's a safe bet no one is answering the phone at HP right now.

Doing that, however, will in no way diminish my annoyance with the people who directly sold it to me. Meanwhile this laptop sits here imparting its malodorous fragrance to the entire room; it's gonna have to go back in the plastic and box.

Yikes. We're sorry about that. A unit arriving in that condition is unacceptable.
HP should have replacement units, so please let us know if they are unable to assist.
service@woot.com

Gayle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gayle

So, got the computer. I keep getting blue screen, computer freezes-have to remove battery to get it started again... On the phone with HP for over 3 hours last night...today HP said they can't do anything further it's all up to Woot...the jury is still out as to whether or not Woot is going to do anything...Very, very disappointed.

supervioletrays

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supervioletrays

This was my first purchase from Woot, but it certainly won't be my last. I got my laptop in today. The box was perfectly packaged, and there was only a little scratch on the bottom side of the laptop. The screen is huge, and everything works great. Thanks Woot!

ee2000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ee2000

My display went out. I opened up the laptop this morning and it's all black and nothing is happening. So I am having to use my crappy old laptop.

Just one more thing to piss me the hell off today... in some other news does anyone want a blue eyes Chihuahua that barks at the wind three states away?

kowboooy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kowboooy

No change in order status and no reference found in fedex tracking. Why am I still a sad panda?

DennisWKam

quality posts: 22 Private Messages DennisWKam

Staff

noble aboriginele wrote:So, got the computer. I keep getting blue screen, computer freezes-have to remove battery to get it started again... On the phone with HP for over 3 hours last night...today HP said they can't do anything further it's all up to Woot...the jury is still out as to whether or not Woot is going to do anything...Very, very disappointed.

Sorry HP is giving you a hard time. We're looking into this and we should have it resolved soon. In the meantime, we did get your emails and we'll be replying soon with a resolution to this mess.

DennisWKam

Staff

ee2000 wrote:My display went out. I opened up the laptop this morning and it's all black and nothing is happening. So I am having to use my crappy old laptop.

Just one more thing to piss me the hell off today... in some other news does anyone want a blue eyes Chihuahua that barks at the wind three states away?

If you haven't already, please email us at service@woot.com. We're checking with HP to see why they're not being helpful and hopefully we can knock some sense into them.

DennisWKam

Staff

kowboooy wrote:No change in order status and no reference found in fedex tracking. Why am I still a sad panda?

We're still waiting on the tracking from our vendor, but your order is most likely in transit. We'll pass along the tracking once we get it.

sambo989

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sambo989

I got two of these laptops.

they seem ok

i did clean installs of windows 7 - 64 bit within a week of getting them

but i am having problems with the drivers for the fingerprint scanner and the hp software.

aside from the HP site which has drivers, (which do not work) does anyone know which exact drivers work for this laptop?

BTW: after the clean install, its much faster. but i tried to the ABR win7 OEM key backup thing, and restore. Didnt work. ended up using a loader to validate my windows 7 copy. I dont feel this is piracy, since my laptop came with a genuine win7 license.

in any case. so far ok.

plays 720P mkvs with no skipping, the audio is great , even better with headphones.

for 400 bucks,i hope this machine lasts, and I will be very vigilant about over heating.

pvdbuyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pvdbuyer

I purchased this Woot. Quick delivery. Product was defective. Computer won't boot up- stays in a white screen world. Woot told me to contact HP. HP told me to contact Woot. I am out $400!!!

BEWARE of Woot and HP

tcbaseball555

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tcbaseball555
DennisWKam wrote:We're still waiting on the tracking from our vendor, but your order is most likely in transit. We'll pass along the tracking once we get it.

Just curious about the status of the tracking numbers for these units? My friend and I both bought one last Tuesday and still haven't received tracking numbers.

Secretcow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Secretcow
tcbaseball555 wrote:Just curious about the status of the tracking numbers for these units? My friend and I both bought one last Tuesday and still haven't received tracking numbers.

I got my tracking number today, and it was also delivered today. Woot shipped my laptop on Nov 3rd though.

*** I'm fairly confident that most of the laptops you will get were returned because of the black screen issue ***

Here's the fix that takes 1 min lol:
Take the battery out, and have the laptop unplugged. Hold the power button down for 30 sec to 1 min. Then, plug the power cord into the laptop (the battery should NOT be in the laptop) and turn the computer on. Your laptop screen should work fine now, it's a bug with the stupid cheapo motherboards hp continually chooses for it's laptops.

P.S. congrats on getting an insanely good deal on a brand new laptop. My laptop came in pristine condition with no scratches at all!

BPL5683

quality posts: 24 Private Messages BPL5683

Staff

tcbaseball555 wrote:Just curious about the status of the tracking numbers for these units? My friend and I both bought one last Tuesday and still haven't received tracking numbers.

TC,
Looks like your shipment has left the park.
I'll send you a PM with the "Dets".

Email customer service: support@woot.com for order problems ~OR~ Use the Support form linked at the top of every page.

bon3sx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bon3sx

I got my laptop in about 4-5 days after ordering, maybe 2 days before the tracking number was given to me.

Just wanted to say that the laptop runs great and looks great. There is some wear and tear on the keyboard you can tell somebody used this enough to leave some rubbing on some of the keys but i'm not too fussed.

I installed RAGE and it ran pretty well. Just installed Skyrim on it today and only in low graphics does it run almost perfect. Medium and high graphics is a little low in frames and choppy at times.

Overall i'm impressed with this laptop because of the price. I have yet to find a better deal than this machine and for that reason I am 100% satisfied with this machine.

Now I only hope it breaks down before 90 days or after 4 years at least. Thanks woot

p.s. for those of you who got crappy/non-working machines good luck and hope you eventually get an exchange for a decent one.

msteelee1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msteelee1

I ordered this laptop on 10/23/11. It arrived at FedEx on 10/31/11. Last tracking status was "In Transit" on 11/04/11. Tracking info has ceased since 11/04/11 and I have STILL not received my computer. I've contacted the post office, FedEx, and Woot to no avail. I am very concerned and upset!

DennisWKam

Staff

msteelee1 wrote:I ordered this laptop on 10/23/11. It arrived at FedEx on 10/31/11. Last tracking status was "In Transit" on 11/04/11. Tracking info has ceased since 11/04/11 and I have STILL not received my computer. I've contacted the post office, FedEx, and Woot to no avail. I am very concerned and upset!

Hmm... Not sure what's going on, but I just sent you a PM with some info on your order. Please feel free to email us at service@woot.com if you need help.

lvennard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lvennard

Happy with mine. Stupid addon apps make me want erase the factory disk image that comes on it, however, everything works correctly.

Thumbs up.

lucy1971

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lucy1971

I ordered the hp Triple-Core Notebook on October 23 and unfortunately I have yet to receive it. I am tremendously agitated!!! I've contacted my local post office and they suggested I contact fed-ex. I contacted fed-ex and they suggested I contact woot and file a claim. Well a woot representative suggested that I contact my local post office. I was very appreciative of the quick response that I got from woot but unfortunately I'd already taken the step that they suggested. I'm pretty much traveling in circles trying to find out where and what has happened to my computer. The computer was shipped on October 30. It has been in transit to my post office since November 4th. The expected delivery date was November 7. Today is November 14th and I still don't have a computer. This has been a frustrating and disappointing experience and i'm at a lost as to what my next step should be.

rozellswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rozellswoot

HP Pavilion dv7 17.3" Triple Core Notebook has been a disappointment. First, it didn't come with the instruction booklet that the "quick set up" referred to. It keeps saying 'Windows Explorer failed and has to restart.' Also, these laptops seem to have a fault of failing to pick up a wireless internet connection even when it's within 15 feet of the modem so it's not much good as a second computer even in a small house. Plus, it won't let me back it up.

sidd2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sidd2

If you want to buy HP Pavilion Triple-Core Notebook on discount price with full features. I must suggest you to visit and get it from ezcouponsearch.com.