gamerrehab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gamerrehab
slatethecat wrote:This product contains 3% AFFF (Aqueous Film Forming Foam, A triple F) the same stuff used to put out fuel fires at airports and aboard US Navy ships. It works;, but as the as the name states it is aqueous, so contains water. After being in the navy and we had to use AFFF on a fire; I'm in for three. Try this site for more info on AFFF fire extinguishers. If I remember correctly it is derived from beets; I'm told it doesn't taste to bad.

That is correct. This is still a great product but I have seen waaay to many drivers rely on these products to stop a car fire.

I still recommend buying this product. But I just don't want to see anymore people relying on this product for every fire. Great as a preemptive douse. But beyond that, please have something else ready just in case

buffaloed

quality posts: 28 Private Messages buffaloed
IcyMidnight wrote:Looks like they're already a year old. I guess someone is dumping stock.

Getting 35 months on these is as good or better than comparable products that cost 2-3x more.

First Alert Tundra Fire Suppresser - shelf life = 2 years

Fire Gone Fire Extinguisher - shelf life = 3 years

gamerrehab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gamerrehab
buffaloed wrote:Getting 35 months on these is as good or better than comparable products that cost 2-3x more.

First Alert Tundra Fire Suppresser - shelf life = 2 years

Fire Gone Fire Extinguisher - shelf life = 3 years

or you can get this:

kiddie auto fx extinguisher
It has a rating of B,C and shelf life is said to be longer than 5 years

sdc100

quality posts: 502 Private Messages sdc100
ssgtkid2010 wrote:It has water as an ingredient, not for electrical fires.

Unless you can safely cut off the electricity, i.e. a central switch. Or if you knew for a fact that a fuse blew or circuit breaker tripped. However, this may not be good enough for sensitive electronic equipment since they have capacitors and even backup batteries. That means there's electricity despite no AC. While no normal capacitor or backup battery presents a fire risk, they can cause a surge or spark that can destroy other components.

mikes123

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikes123

WARNING!!!

For many, these are NOT SUITABLE for "car and RV use."

They contain water, will freeze, and will NOT WORK!

If you're in a temperate climate where it never freezes, maybe these are OK. But, if there's any chance of freezing weather, these are not something you can count on in an emergency. Dry chemical ones do work in freezing weather.

The manufacturer very briefly mentions this in a FAQ on their website, but it's well hidden.

tinogut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tinogut

Get a life. Go eat a tree.

jgrand14

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jgrand14

[quote postid="4686008" user="CowboyDann"]Watched both the videos. First one: Are you sure that dry chemical extinguisher wasn't gasoline?

i was thinking the same thing.

pippakay

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pippakay

Wait, I'm confused. You say not to use it for car fires, and that you've used it to put out medium sized car fires.

Which is correct?

gamerrehab wrote:Just so you all know. I've owned one of these and seeing this sale made me race here to inform you guys of the proper uses for this product.

I HAVE USED THESE AND THEY ARE TO BE USED ONLY FOR SMALL HOUSE FIRES SUCH AS THE KITCHEN OR A SMALL CAMPFIRE. DO NOT RELY ON THIS FOR ANYTHING MORE THAN THAT.

If you have a car fire, DO NOT USE THIS as it is not rated on the A,B,C rating system and can spread electrical charge to other components of the car.

For a good extinguisher that can handle medium fires safely with a B and C rating, I suggest this: http://www.thesupplytree.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=KID21006287&ga1=bg1

It has an extremely long shelf life, and I've used it in my towing industry to stop medium car fires.

Although this woot product is GREAT, and I highly recommend it for house hold usage, it should be used for small house fires, nothing more.

*NOTE: Before you read, please note that I am only posting this in an effort to inform the public based my past experiences with dealing roadside fires in my towing job. I do not discourage the buying of this product at all. I only wish to make sure people are aware of its uses and do not rely on it too much*

andrewkl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages andrewkl
sdc100 wrote:Hmmmm ... I wonder if the NitroStrike Foam is safe on electronics. One of these will be situated in my computer room.

I'm thinking that if the electronics are burning, a little foam isn't going to make your situation with them any worse...

Just really damn lucky: Random Crap: 2/15/08, 2/19/09, 12/25/09, 4/1/10, 12/1/10, 12/25/10, 4/1/11, 5/11/11, 9/14/11, 10/12/11, 12/25/11

raydoc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raydoc

For the person who said not to use this AFFF extinguisher on car fires, I find it funny that we all have AFFF fire systems in our race cars. I count on the AFFF system to give me enough time to get out of the car. I don't worry about it conducting electricity (believe me it will be spraying on electrical systems like power cutout switches, starter buttons, etc).

I've put out grease fires with baking soda and that is a great use for the box in the fridge. You need to have a decent dry chem extinguisher in the house (really more than one) but if you've never used one before you need to put out the fire, use this silly thing and call for help. Most people don't know how to use a real fire extinguisher.

Final comment, know when to run. Houses can be rebuilt (mine only took 9 months) but burns are forever.

wickedd365

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wickedd365

I picked up a set. One for the kitchen, one for the car.

Does anyone know if they are electronic safe?

terry0198

quality posts: 1 Private Messages terry0198

In for a 2-pack! One for the house, and one for the car that can also double as a pepper spray

jamina1

quality posts: 11 Private Messages jamina1
davidfawcett wrote:No, the video showed a standard dry chemical extinguisher.

That is the problem with a dry chemical. If you have a pool of burning liquid, like a pan of overheated grease, the high force of the dry chemical spray knocks the flaming liquid all over the place.

Not recommended, in my estimation. I keep a fireproof blanket around for fires like that.

But I would try today's spray can first, if I have one.

Not only that, but have you ever seen what happens when you introduce aerosolized dust into an open flame? BOOM. Why do you think flour factories catch on fire all the time?

FINALLY GOT A Bucket of Candycorn ON 9/22/10!

cjpowers

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cjpowers

1) Will this work with my mac?
2) Glad it's not a refurb
3) Cheaper on eBay
4) etc...

There saved you the trouble. In for 3 for when the zombies attack.

gbinman

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gbinman
noldula wrote:I need a C class fire extinguisher for fires caused by live electrical equipments but I can't see its class.

Kidde 466180 Pro 5 CD Fire Extinguisher looks to be a good choice.

It isn't displayed that I can see but it only useful for Class A and B fires, organic solids (paper, wood etc.) and flammable liquids.

It isn't useful for Class C, electrical fires.

I reviewed the companies website.

I didn't see any fire marshal certifications or published class ratings.

I am not interested in unrated fire extinguishers. Standards exist for a reason.

siriusblueus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages siriusblueus

No wooters in Hawaii? What? Is this not big enough for those volcanos or something?

gbinman

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gbinman
JDS753 wrote:This would be an AB type extinguisher, it is a water based extinguisher so it will conduct electricity (which makes it a non-class c)

Perhaps... if it was rated which apparently it is not.

martensitic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages martensitic

Not for nothing, but Fire Prevention Week ended a week ago.

buffaloed

gbinman wrote:It isn't displayed that I can see but it only useful for Class A and B fires, organic solids (paper, wood etc.) and flammable liquids.

It isn't useful for Class C, electrical fires.

I reviewed the companies website.

I didn't see any fire marshal certifications or published class ratings.

I am not interested in unrated fire extinguishers. Standards exist for a reason.

The test document is published on the company's website.
http://nitrostrike.com/Testing%20&%20Approval.pdf

It's approved for Class 2-A and 10-B use.

djhunt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages djhunt

In for three. I thought some fire extinguishers would be more of a home.woot offering...

I want One! One What? What you got! it's gone.

rharrismcse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rharrismcse

I checked Amazon and a two pack of almost the exact same thing is about the same price if you consider you don't pay shipping (prime member) and there is no tax.
http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Gone-2NBFG2704-White-Extinguisher/dp/B0051TPJKG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1319461935&sr=8-3

djhunt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages djhunt
coolayers64 wrote:Hairspray is way cheaper than this. Just use some hairspray.

Heh, yeah, and open a window to get a good backdraft!

I want One! One What? What you got! it's gone.

cobraman61

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobraman61
encode wrote:YouTube video for the NitroStrike Mini-Foamer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZyHNf6n7AM

That video sold me,I have a dry cem,extinguisher in the kitchen,and seeing what it did to that stove,I am in for two packs [4]thanks for the video.

maverickbna

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maverickbna
sdc100 wrote:Hmmmm ... I wonder if the NitroStrike Foam is safe on electronics. One of these will be situated in my computer room.

I emailed the sales department, and it's classified as a clean agent - it's safe on electronics.

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

The video shows the man trying to use a dry chemical extinguisher for a grease fire. He uses a direct approach on purpose to show the maximum possible spreading of fire. Anyone who knows anything about fighting fires know that you MUST use an indirect attack for grease fires.

Those that live in a full size house, there's really no reason not to have a full sized extinguisher somewhere in your house. Hang it in the garage if need be. Once it's in place, you'll probably never notice it day to day... but it'll be there when you need it. A full size extinguisher gives you between 45 secs-1 min of extinguisher power. Twice that of these little baby cans.

buffaloed

rharrismcse wrote:I checked Amazon and a two pack of almost the exact same thing is about the same price if you consider you don't pay shipping (prime member) and there is no tax.
http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Gone-2NBFG2704-White-Extinguisher/dp/B0051TPJKG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1319461935&sr=8-3

Amazon charges tax. The reason Woot had to start charging tax is because Amazon bought Woot. The product on Amazon has a shelf life of 3 years. Unless you're incredibly lucky the ones that are shipped to you will have much less than that remaining.

mbrickell

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mbrickell

These contain about .1% Chuck Norris blood by weight. That's enough to scare any fire into submission. In for 3.

niks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages niks
gamerrehab wrote:

For a good extinguisher that can handle medium fires safely with a B and C rating, I suggest this: http://www.thesupplytree.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=KID21006287&ga1=bg1

It has an extremely long shelf life, and I've used it in my towing industry to stop medium car fires.

Thanks a lot! I was looking for something exactly like that to keep in my car.

Too bad the shipping charge is crazy expensive (69.95$). I will have to look to source it locally.

mike5780267

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mike5780267
davidfawcett wrote:Once you use a standard dry chemical fire extinguisher ONCE, though, and deal with the mess it has made of your entire kitchen or living room when you simply tried to stop a small fire, something like this can is very, very welcome.

And most "electrical" fires are only STARTED by electricity. They KEEP burning because of standard combustibles which this can of goop may be able to deal with.

Spray away on your flaming space heater with this. At least everything else in the room might not be trashed.

But do have a bigger standard dry-chemical extinguisher nearby too, for backup.

And don't get cut off from the doors to outside.

If a mess is your biggest concern about a fire then use sand or baking soda.

I'm just informing the person that the grease fire part of the companies promo video wasn't done with an ABC, it was done with water.
Never use water on grease or electrical fires.

Also, even if the electrical fire spreads to more combustible items(I agree with you), there is still live electricity that's exposed in one way or another. It still has to be turned off as well. This is yet another reason ABC cakes onto everything as it does.

Oh, and the woot filter changed the word re.tar.dant.

smokeybandit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages smokeybandit

NitroStroke....

Sounds like a really bad pron name.

niks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages niks
pippakay wrote:Wait, I'm confused. You say not to use it for car fires, and that you've used it to put out medium sized car fires.

Which is correct?

He said this "mini-foamer" is no good for car fires. He referred to another (*real*) fire extinguisher. And he said that one worked well for medium car fires.

mike5780267

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mike5780267
pippakay wrote:Wait, I'm confused. You say not to use it for car fires, and that you've used it to put out medium sized car fires.

Which is correct?

He said that he has used these before, but uses a different product for his profession which occasionally includes car fires.

In other words, these are not meant for cars. They're meant for basic house fires(grease and paper/wood).

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady

Which is correct?

Read again... s.l.o.w.l.y... the linked extinguisher was recommended for "medium car fires"... not the wooty foam.

If you have a medium car, you know what to use... Personally I prefer to douse the flames with phophorus.

buffaloed

niks wrote:Thanks a lot! I was looking for something exactly like that to keep in my car.

Too bad the shipping charge is crazy expensive (69.95$). I will have to look to source it locally.

Home Depot sells the Kidde 1-A:10-B:C Fire Extinguisher for $17.95.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Safety-Security-Home-Safety-Fire-Extinguishers/h_d1/N-aqsqZ5yc1v/R-100015934/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

zacharyb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zacharyb

Should do well for a car emergency bag, in for two!

shawnamills

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shawnamills

Are these safe for an electric range fire? Hubby and I have a bad habit of burning our food to charcoal. Last time we poured gluten-free flour on a fire and the flames hit the ceiling.

When I was a kid spending a few weeks in Iowa with my grandparents I learned a valuable lesson: don't ever try to put out a fire with sawdust, 'kay?

Caffeineismydrug

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Caffeineismydrug
lola4028 wrote:I bought a friend a fire extinguisher for Christmas one year. I can still see the disappointed look as he unwrapped it. Several months later he awoke from a nap to find his kitchen on fire. Not just the stuff he left on the burner, but cabinets, walls, etc.

Yeah... electronic gadgets don't put out fires.

In for two... as I've already covered most of my friends.

Man-- I snapped at my mother last year for buying yet another sweater I won't wear... I hope she doesn't burn down my kitchen to prove a point too!

<BOYCOTT>Currently on Woot Boycott until Deal-A-Day site is restored to sanity</BOYCOTT>

drxo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drxo

I like in the second video how there are packages of fireworks in the leaves, only inches from where the fire is... Launching / exploding fireworks on a base of dry leaves sounds like a good idea, doesn't it?

The Doc

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

The navy has been using aqueous film forming foam (AFFF) for eons.

fjrmaster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fjrmaster

GREAT for a micro home!