mkohn1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mkohn1

I have 4 music zones. Can I choose the two zone I want to play from this receiver or do I need a switcher?

avenger9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avenger9

Manufacturer vs. reseller.........hmmm, I'm gonna go with the source on this one :-) Believe Pioneer, not Woot.

wasserkapf wrote:Thanks for bringing this up. The size stated by woot! was another reason for not buying it (20.52 (W) x 9.72 (H) x 18.12 (D)). I did not even think to check the Pioneer site for accuracy.

So which is right?

axelf78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages axelf78
shaneosx wrote:$150 for an optional Wifi adapter is insane, should have been built in at no additional cost five years ago. Also they refuse to provide a list of supported internet radio because it basically doesn't support any.

It is insane. Is it not possible to use a generic adapter?

iamhappy726

quality posts: 10 Private Messages iamhappy726

question: I am looking at replacing a very old AM/FM receiver with various inputs and outputs. Since the present owner still likes to listen to AM/FM, would I be able to use this receiver to do this?

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422

This is an absolutely amazing device! After reading the specs carefully, I've discovered that not only does this deliver 770 watts, It only consumes 550 watts. This thing actually CREATES power. If I connect enough of them together, I can power my house for free!

Oh wait... I fell into that all too common marketing BS thing. It really doesn't deliver 110 watts x 7. It must be a Peak Power rating (power capability for 2 microseconds)which would likely be 40 watts x 7 RMS.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

bilively

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bilively

This may be a dumb question, but I assume that it would work with a 5:1 speaker setup?

DennisWKam

quality posts: 22 Private Messages DennisWKam

Staff

bucfanmike wrote:Screwed by paypal. Careful. I have bill me later account, used it only once. Linked it this morning with paypal just because I couldnt lay out the 3 bills in cash today but really dont want to miss this deal. This is straight c&p from Bill me later site:

Why should I link my Bill Me Later and PayPal accounts?
Here's why. By linking your accounts, you could:

Use Bill Me Later at more places where PayPal is accepted.
You can service both your accounts directly at www.paypal.com.
Use your Bill Me Later available credit for all your PayPal purchases.

I set bill me later as primary funding on paypal as I know woot doesnt kick you over to paypal. And guess what paypal took the money outta my bank account anyway. Called customer service and they said not everyone accepts funding from bill me later. And I pointed out their website that says I can use my credit for all paypal purchases. They said this isnt true, well then why print it? Really hoping woot can come through on an order cancel or im screwed. Wife is gonna kill me.

Yikes! I'm sending you a PM with some options. Here's to hoping we can help you out to avoid the wife's wrath.

Ringo4422

Sailnut wrote:This works IF "your turn-table has line level outputs" only. This means your turn table has a built in pre-amp. Otherwise, it requires an outboard pre-amp.

If your turntable has line level outputs, why would you even use it? That would be like showing a less than 1 megapixel picture taken from an old cell phone and showing it on a 60" HDTV. None of that kind of turntable has any decent sound quality.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

wasserkapf

quality posts: 19 Private Messages wasserkapf
Ringo4422 wrote:If your turntable has line level outputs, why would you even use it? That would be like showing a less than 1 megapixel picture taken from an old cell phone and showing it on a 60" HDTV. None of that kind of turntable has any decent sound quality.

Not true. I just realized my Audio-Technica AT-LP240-USB has both. I don't know if there is a difference in sound quality between the two.

moosifee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moosifee

No pre-outs for an outboard amp. Meh.

gjames

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gjames

According to camelcamelcamel.com, it only dropped to $299.99 on Amazon two days ago before jumping back up. The cheapest it's been is $266.99 used, three days ago.

whizzr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whizzr
wonmoc wrote:7.1 is just two more speakers so you can probably use the 5 you have and buy two more to add to the system

You couldn't be more wrong, and if you don't know any better than this, I would encourage you to NOT post such messages, since they serve only to confuse other people.

It is not as simple as merely two more speakers. 5.1 is an electrical and encoding standard. So is 7.1. The receiver must specifically support the standard and electrical connection that you are trying to use.

In my case, by your explanation, I'd go to Bose and try and buy 2 more cube speakers. If they even sold them to me (and I doubt they would -- they know better) there would be no speaker terminals on my Acoustimass system for them to connect to.

Ringo4422

wasserkapf wrote:Not true. I just realized my Audio-Technica AT-LP240-USB has both. I don't know if there is a difference in sound quality between the two.

I was kind of impulsive with my response. Yes, there are a few half way decent turntables out there now that offer built in pre-amps for magnetic cartridges. But the majority of "current" turntables I seen are pure carp.

Ringo4422

whizzr wrote:You couldn't be more wrong, and if you don't know any better than this, I would encourage you to NOT post such messages, since they serve only to confuse other people.

It is not as simple as merely two more speakers. 5.1 is an electrical and encoding standard. So is 7.1. The receiver must specifically support the standard and electrical connection that you are trying to use.

In my case, by your explanation, I'd go to Bose and try and buy 2 more cube speakers. If they even sold them to me (and I doubt they would -- they know better) there would be no speaker terminals on my Acoustimass system for them to connect to.

I'm waiting for 8.2 to come out. 8 speakers (left & right center channel) and Dual subs, yea baby!

JeffWingert

quality posts: 2 Private Messages JeffWingert

I purchased this exact same receiver from Best Buy about 1 year ago. I would NOT recommend purchasing this particular receiver. I've always had pretty good luck with Pioneer in the past but I am not happy with this product. I currently have my high def. cable running through this receiver. I've noticed that each time the channel I am watching cuts to commericial (non high def commercial) the receiver will cut out. The TV screen goes blank but the sound continues. I have tried turning the TV off and on, not it. Tried turning the cable box off and on, not it. If I turn the receiver off and on the screen comes back and everything starts working again. REALLY ANNOYING!!!
The receiver NEVER cuts out while watching a DVD or BluRay.
This receiver has a really hard time making the transition from high def to standard def and back again.
I would recommend a similarly priced Denon or Onkyo receiver.

Ringo4422

JeffWingert wrote:I purchased this exact same receiver from Best Buy about 1 year ago. I would NOT recommend purchasing this particular receiver. I've always had ... I would recommend a similarly priced Denon or Onkyo receiver.

I have always agreed that Onkyo and Denon are superior products.

doggymcnuggets

quality posts: 1 Private Messages doggymcnuggets

Can anyone comment on the effectiveness of the upscaling? I run several older gaming systems & devices with composite inputs on a 720p plasma tv. How much improvement could I expect in image quality? Thanks!

aldukeman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aldukeman
onefastwienerdog wrote:Power Consumption: 550W
Output: 110W x 7 (1kHz, THD 0.05% @ 8 Ohms)
90W x 7 (20Hz - 20kHz, THD 0.08% @ 8 Ohms FTC)

So this puts out more power than it consumes?

It probably puts out closer to 50w per channel.

Those outputs are probably peak power which can be reached briefly due to the numerous capacitors in the system. The better measurement is RMS power output which is probably between 30-50 W. Manufacturers of audio equipment like to advertise peak power output simply because it looks better.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
Ringo4422 wrote:I'm waiting for 8.2 to come out. 8 speakers (left & right center channel) and Dual subs, yea baby!

I totally agree with you on turntables. There has not been a decent turntable made since the 80's, and those did not have line level out. If you are planning on truly appreciating vinyl you would not be using this amp anyway. I am confused about your 8.2 comment. What is the point of having 2 subs since low frequency sound is non directional? Why would you need a separate track for that audio information?

dayton45

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dayton45
axelf78 wrote:It is insane. Is it not possible to use a generic adapter?

Here is one that might work

IOGEAR Universal Wi-Fi N Adapter
http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?1050417_g10e

editorkid

quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid
YaBoyNate wrote:There seems to be some conflicting information on whether or not this has full functionality using android as well. Can anyone speak to that, or is this simply built for the iFolks and the geeks among us should probably pass?

I won't be using this myself until I set up my swell new receiver, but Pioneer's writeup of the Android remote app claims to support this receiver. I doubt it has every command available on the bundled receiver, of course -- look at all those buttons -- we'll find out, I guess.

80sarcade

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 80sarcade

Anyone confirm if this is a true 2 zone box? Meaning I can play two separate audio outputs from two sources. I need to use the speaker outputs for the second source. I have two outdoor speakers and what to listen to music outside while others watch tv from the same receiver.

Jedi_Nut

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Jedi_Nut

Ok...two stupid questions...

I have a Sony A/V 5.1 amp with the speakers and the powered sub. I really don't feel like going out and getting two more speakers and mounting them. Will this receiver sound ok just driving my 5.1 setup?

Now for the REALLY stupid question....my TV is a 17 year old rear projection TV...the highest quality input is S-Video. What would be the best way to connect this receiver to my TV? (Please don't say..."Buy a new TV") :-)

Thanks!

jastereo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jastereo
stayathomedad wrote:I read an earlier post that said the WIFI dongle costs $150,00. Wouldn't an Apple TV for $99.00 be a better option? Especially if you have to hard wire this into a network. I don't have an Ethernet connection anywhere near my audio equipment.

Yes - for a whole number of reason. Apple TV works through wifi or hardwired - so you get it for less than the cost of the wifi adapter from pioneer. It takes care of the AirPlay through this doing audio only (AppleTV does both - as well as doing AirPlay mirroring from Ipad2 & iphone4S).

It also can be used to play anything that's in your itunes library (as well as providing what I'm relatively sure is a FAR better interface than this reviver has for doing that).

As far as playing other content that you have on a computer in another room (IE, what's not in your itunes library...) You could use an iphone/ipad/ipod touch app to do that (I use one called AirVideo) that will do on-the-fly conversion of almost any video format from a remote machine on your network... then use AirPlay from your idevice through the AppleTV to see/hear it.

If you have an ipod or iphone or ipad and have a main computer in another room to manage them, I have no idea why you wouldn't spend the 100$ for an apple TV. It works incredibly well to get that content into a living room/big TV/receiver.

fevans1980

quality posts: 6 Private Messages fevans1980

A longer-than-average write-up, and I still have no idea what the hell it does.

nathan179

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nathan179

So I can plug a USB hard drive into this and play music, movies etc but does this receiver have Cinavia protection on it like the PS3?

No one gives a horse's patoot what you've bought......

CletusTheDwarf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CletusTheDwarf
firebirdude wrote:I'm doing exactly this. The HDMI from my cable box goes through the receiver and another HDMI cable does to my TV. HDMI delivers both picture and sound. So just turn the receiver all the way down and turn volume up on the TV. I leave it like that probably 350/365 days a year. When I watch a movie, turn the volume up on the receiver. Simple. Effective.

I don't think this is what he was asking. You're talking about having the received ON and just turning the volume down to listed on the TV. The question is can he have one HDMI from the cable box to the receiver, and one HDMI from the receiver to the TV, and watch cable on the TV without the receiver being on. And I have this question to. I saw some replies that imply this depends on the TV, but I'm not sure how that would be TV specific, either it passes through the hdmi signal or it doesn't...

iamcatastrophe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iamcatastrophe

I am wondering, is woot an authorized internet vender for pioneer? I would guess not... but does the relationship with amazon change things?. Can anyone from woot speak to this?

Authorized Venders

edit: according to pioneers site, if woot wasn't an authorized dealer they couldn't sell this new, however I'd love for some confirmation.

wonmoc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wonmoc
peterleest wrote:no worry, you can use HomePlug device to extend the Cat5 point to the AV amplifier.

http://www.aztech.com/prod_homeplug_hl112e.html

Awesome tip!

etripoli

quality posts: 18 Private Messages etripoli

Awesome awesome awesome. I've been wanting this receiver for a long time. Beats Amazon's best-ever price:

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Pioneer-VSX-1021-K-Theater-Receiver-Glossy/product/B004M8RPBI

calculon68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages calculon68
Jedi_Nut wrote:
Now for the REALLY stupid question....my TV is a 17 year old rear projection TV...the highest quality input is S-Video. What would be the best way to connect this receiver to my TV? (Please don't say..."Buy a new TV") :-)

You still have RCA Composite outputs on the receiver, you have to use that. S-Video interconnects are all but extinct on current consumer electronics due to Analog Sunset.

But if I didn't have a modern HDMI TV, I wouldn't bother buying this receiver.

Ringo4422

gak0090 wrote:I totally agree with you on turntables. There has not been a decent turntable made since the 80's, and those did not have line level out. If you are planning on truly appreciating vinyl you would not be using this amp anyway. I am confused about your 8.2 comment. What is the point of having 2 subs since low frequency sound is non directional? Why would you need a separate track for that audio information?

It was sarcasm. How many channels do we really need? To me personally 7.1 is dumb for a home.

jryan727

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jryan727

In for 1!

I didn't know I'd be buying a receiver today, but my Onkyo's remote broke, doesn't have HDMI, and I was going to buy an airport express to stream to my receiver anyway. Plus this is a fantastic deal. Was pretty much a no-brainer. This might be the best deal I've seen on Woot! in a while. I heard NewEgg had these for $299 which would have been a good deal, but I missed that. Sucks that we have to pay tax in NY, bringing the total to around $320, but it's still a good deal.

Thanks woot!

tetsu96

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tetsu96
JeffWingert wrote:I purchased this exact same receiver from Best Buy about 1 year ago. I would NOT recommend purchasing this particular receiver. I've always had pretty good luck with Pioneer in the past but I am not happy with this product. I currently have my high def. cable running through this receiver. I've noticed that each time the channel I am watching cuts to commericial (non high def commercial) the receiver will cut out. The TV screen goes blank but the sound continues. I have tried turning the TV off and on, not it. Tried turning the cable box off and on, not it. If I turn the receiver off and on the screen comes back and everything starts working again. REALLY ANNOYING!!!
This receiver has a really hard time making the transition from high def to standard def and back again.

I think I've read complaints like this about some Onkyo's also, but wasn't really a receiver fault. When resolution changes, there's a HDCP handshake to re-establish the audio and video. I have my cable box set to upconvert everything to 1080i and there are no blanks after the connection is first established.

But I don't have this receiver either, so YMMV.

r3dt34rz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages r3dt34rz
JeffWingert wrote:I purchased this exact same receiver from Best Buy about 1 year ago. I would NOT recommend purchasing this particular receiver. I've always had pretty good luck with Pioneer in the past but I am not happy with this product. I currently have my high def. cable running through this receiver. I've noticed that each time the channel I am watching cuts to commericial (non high def commercial) the receiver will cut out. The TV screen goes blank but the sound continues. I have tried turning the TV off and on, not it. Tried turning the cable box off and on, not it. If I turn the receiver off and on the screen comes back and everything starts working again. REALLY ANNOYING!!!

What your experiencing is probably HDMI handshake issues with the cable box to the receiver. If your not having an issue with the DVD /Blu Ray player then you can't single out the receiver as being at fault. I would suggest firmware update or replacement cable box and proceed from there. May even want to check the settings in your current cable box.

AFewBricksShy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AFewBricksShy
Jedi_Nut wrote:Ok...two stupid questions...

I have a Sony A/V 5.1 amp with the speakers and the powered sub. I really don't feel like going out and getting two more speakers and mounting them. Will this receiver sound ok just driving my 5.1 setup?

Thanks!

In the owner's manual, there is a section on how to set this up for 5.1. I bought one banking on the answer to your question being yes based on that.

lfegenbush

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lfegenbush
swechsler wrote:This receiver appears to disobey the laws of thermodynamics: Total output power is rated at 7 x 90 = 630W, yet input power is only 550W.

Realistically speaking, you're not going to get 90W x 7 out of this thing (not that it really matters; most mass-market speakers will work fine with it. If you have higher-end speakers you're probably not considering this anyway).

Receivers are rated by dynamic power rating. For pure audio applications, you are driving two speakers at 200W each. For a home theater, because all 7 speakers are never on simultaneously, your total current draw never violates the ~400W-500W total output. Because some quiescent current is used when all seven speakers are in standby (DC power draw), each individual speaker can only be rated to 90W. Take speakers away, and this rating goes up.

axelf78

iluvtofly wrote:Connect the receiver via a Cat5 Ethernet cable to your WiFi router then you don't have to buy any of the expensive WiFi or Bluetooth adapters that Pioneer sells! (You do want the receiver to be hooked up to internet to take advantage of all the features any ways!)

The Autosetup "MCACC" will recognize you 5.1 setup, so you do not have to have a 7.1 speaker system.

Awesome. I wasnt aware this had an ethernet jack on it.

axelf78

jastereo wrote:Yes - for a whole number of reason. Apple TV works through wifi or hardwired - so you get it for less than the cost of the wifi adapter from pioneer. It takes care of the AirPlay through this doing audio only (AppleTV does both - as well as doing AirPlay mirroring from Ipad2 & iphone4S).

It also can be used to play anything that's in your itunes library (as well as providing what I'm relatively sure is a FAR better interface than this reviver has for doing that).

As far as playing other content that you have on a computer in another room (IE, what's not in your itunes library...) You could use an iphone/ipad/ipod touch app to do that (I use one called AirVideo) that will do on-the-fly conversion of almost any video format from a remote machine on your network... then use AirPlay from your idevice through the AppleTV to see/hear it.

If you have an ipod or iphone or ipad and have a main computer in another room to manage them, I have no idea why you wouldn't spend the 100$ for an apple TV. It works incredibly well to get that content into a living room/big TV/receiver.

But can you use iControlAV2 via Apple TV box? Doesn't that require bluetooth?

lethargicmass

quality posts: 10 Private Messages lethargicmass
goatcrapp wrote:for that matter - many (most? lol) who have upgraded to wireless N will have an old, but still serviceable linksys 54g sitting in a closet somewhere. do the insanely easy DDWRT upgrade, and you're in the game for free.

I do have an old, but still serviceable, linksys 54g sitting in a closet! You're telling me that if I flash it with DDWRT, I can turn it into a bridge and avoid having to drill holes through two walls to hook my DVR up to the interwebs?

I love bacon!