zzzyp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zzzyp

anybody know how this compares to Contigo brand "leak-proof" mug?

tsrsic01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tsrsic01

Looking at the picture this is merely for transporting. Even if it fits in the cupholder you still can't drink out of it while on the move without unscrewing the lid. Right???

Nevermind, should have read it first!!! In for 2...

Timothy Srsic

ibap

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ibap

OK, I'm not picking on this specific mug, which looks pretty nice, except for one thing - Why do people insist on calling these things "stainless steel mugs" - when they are plastic on the INside? I really don't care that they are stainless on the OUTside.

GlobalT38

quality posts: 1 Private Messages GlobalT38
Scooley01 wrote:quote: Roostalee scharton wrote:Plastic inner liner. No thanks.

Yeah, I made that mistake once. Plasticky coffee isn't so great.

Actually, my big issue with this is coffee-y plastic. It starts to smell after a while and no amount of cleaning will make it stop smelling. It's a cheap deal, but I'm passing this time.

(Not sure why the Quote BBCode isn't working for me...)

Ahhh - but all above is much better than "Coffee-y pants, shirt, car seat/mat/floorboard" etc.! Perfect timing as my wife thinks the definition of travel mug = "toss in purse no possibility of leak mug"! ;)

honeybdee0117

quality posts: 0 Private Messages honeybdee0117

Is this dishwasher safe?

thatheard

quality posts: 6 Private Messages thatheard
badbarky wrote:That caption is one of my favorite things I've seen this week. Thanks for making one of the 99% laugh - I'll go back to shoveling mud with my hands now.

Dennis, there's some lovely filth down here!

GlobalT38

quality posts: 1 Private Messages GlobalT38
yuqimao wrote:Why does the fourth picture seem to indicate that there is a potential hole through the lid that you can drink out of? And the other pictures seem to show a lid without any holes and bordered completely by a seal? I am getting really confused.

I think I have an explanation, so read on at your own purchasing trigger-fingers' expense.

@jannieb: It's a stainless steel outer wall, but doesn't say anything about the seemingly-plastic inner wall that we can see in the pictures. It would appear, however, that the liquid that people will be drinking out of these will not be in direct contact with the stainless steel parts... Perhaps there's some other explanation? I think as many have already pointed out before me, I believe there to be plenty of plastic in there to be in direct contact with the beverage inside.

Someone please correct me if you know for sure that the Drink-Thru top with the hole is actually Leak-Proof.

The lid has a full round bottom with a rubber seal that, when screwed closed, fully seals the mug. To "drink thru" you partially unscrew the lid which unseals the bottom and allows liquid to flow through either of the drinking slots on either side of the lid. This is very similiar concept to your typical "pour thru" thermos like Nissan etc.

Kevee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kevee

For sure plastic inside,no thanks. Also I bet made in China. NO Thanks

gbinman

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gbinman
scharton wrote:Plastic inner liner. No thanks.

I am with you... plastic liners don't hold temps. Try a Bubba Cup. I got a couple at Walmart and they work well... though no handle.

Bendyhead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bendyhead
lkfisc wrote:I thought it was "pee-on"

....pfffffft.... If you had only played EQ back in the day you would know exactly how to spell peon....Goblin that is.

Never ask for anything Steamed in Cleveland!

jkaleda

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jkaleda

How scratched up will this get if I actually put them in the bottle cage on my bike? My home brew coffee is way better than what they serve at work.

SPAM in the place that you live.

slowpoke

quality posts: 3 Private Messages slowpoke
honeybdee0117 wrote:Is this dishwasher safe?

RTFD*

* Description or Drivel, depending upon your mood

asterix80

quality posts: 1 Private Messages asterix80

How easy are these to clean?

lexicon5

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lexicon5

I just broke my $19.95 Starbucks travel mug...great timing...

lexicon5

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lexicon5
ivavi wrote:Doesn't really keep drinks hot for too long,

Drink faster. Once you scald your tongue into submission, you'll be able to drink hot coffee before it cools off.

lschofield

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lschofield

Should perfectly fill a stocking. Fill with coffee beans to appear creative.

jspaziante

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jspaziante

FUN FACT: If you put your heated whiskey stones in this it will open up a portal to another dimension.

Or maybe it'll just keep your beverage really hot. It's like a 50/50 shot either way.

noungning

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noungning

Perfect for white elephant/yankee swap! Thanks woot! =oD

cuttingras

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cuttingras

Does anyone know if these are Made in the USA?

Gusaroo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gusaroo

Good grief...plastic liner or metal liner? I have read tru all the comments and I have assurances of both. Does an WOOT! ADMIN have one handy to inspect for us? Ill buy 8 of them if metal lined, Ill buy none if plastic lined!

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

Woot writeups have always been funny (still are), but lately I've been noticing a lot of hostility and an abundance of derogatory comments towards buyers.

"SHUT UP AND CONSUME,PEONS!"
"WE PICK THE COLORS. CRY ABOUT IT"
"THAT'S RIGHT! WE'LL EVEN SELL YOU ROCKS!"

Yeah they're funny. Even funny the second time around. But imagine a friend who calls you a derogatory name when he sees you, just in a guy joking around "I really love you" type of manner. You don't think anything of it. But when it happens every other day, the tiniest flake of doubt enters your mind. Does Woot really think their buyers are mindless id iots who will buy anything as long as the price is cheap? How much respect do they really have for us?

I know. I know. I'm a bit of a drama queen. Just saying... it's starting to get a little old and I'm tired of being called a peon, id iot, slave, minion, or any form thereof.

pjreiter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pjreiter

There's no such thing as an "easy-open drink-thru lid turns left for drinking and right to close."

I swear that all coffee in these type of mugs is destined to end up all over your work shirt.

pjreiter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pjreiter
cuttingras wrote:Does anyone know if these are Made in the USA?

If not, OCCUPY WOOT!

Sojouner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sojouner

Thermal conductivity of Stainless steel is about 16 Watt/(meter-kelvin) while most plastics used for mugs hover around .002-.004 depending on the quality. Even with two walls with air as an insulator (air is a VERY good insulator), you're still gonna get some losses compared to hard plastics, especially if those stainless steel walls are kind of thin. Don't let the Man FOOL YOU WITH THEIR "WALLS". :P

seahokedrama

quality posts: 30 Private Messages seahokedrama
pjreiter wrote:I swear that all coffee in these type of mugs is destined to end up all over your work shirt.

That is entirely your fault for wearing clothes to work. I always go to work without clothes on.

Found I get less people coming into my cube assigning me work that way... except for that strange janitor with the lazy eye who sweeps under my desk twice an hour.

whirlygirly

quality posts: 2 Private Messages whirlygirly
tragicallyhip53 wrote:
The Honda I drive has remarkably undersized cupholders...

I bet my Cooper's are smaller. Nothing bigger than a soda can will fit.

daha

quality posts: 3 Private Messages daha

I already own one of these. It's a slightly different model. There's no handle, and I think the capacity is 20 instead of 16.

I'm happy with it, I've had no taste residue from the plastic lining, it doesn't leak when the top is screwed in tight, you can drink through the top when the top is half-unscrewed (but if you tip it over while half-unscrewed, yes, it will leak), it does fine in the dishwasher, heat retention is less than a thermos bottle but still pretty good.

I'm in for three pair. They'll make good teacher gifts at my kid's school.

jonhull

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonhull

I have one of these and it sucks. Bought it when I had a long work commute and it didn't keep my coffee hot for more than 15-20 minutes. The mug gets very hot on the outside meaning the contents are getting cold on the inside.

I even sent an email to Stanley saying I expected better from them, but didn't even get the courtesy of a response.

Save your $$ and pass on this one.

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 36 Private Messages jiggersgreen

This is hands down the best coffee mug I have found.I've used mine daily for several years. They wont fit in a cup holder but if you have a flat spot they don't tip over and keep coffee for up to 2 hours. Soak with white vinegar and water to clean and sanitize.
http://www.amazon.com/20oz-Foam-Insulated-ThermoServ-Green/dp/B003K251HW
Even so...I bought six of the Stanley's

pizzot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pizzot

I'm getting them for my distant cousins in Alabama. The greens match everything in their wardrobe perfectly.

fleurat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fleurat

Never buy anything from Woot.com....when they send you defective products, they make you pay to send it back. Worst customer service I have ever received.

cth8269

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cth8269

I Bought 4! 1 for me and 3 for gifts. Merry Christmas to ME! P.S. I get the green one! lol

lyricmezzosoprano

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lyricmezzosoprano

In for one. Congratulations on selling me my first Woot, I guess?

Sardinicus

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Sardinicus
ibap wrote:OK, I'm not picking on this specific mug, which looks pretty nice, except for one thing - Why do people insist on calling these things "stainless steel mugs" - when they are plastic on the INside? I really don't care that they are stainless on the OUTside.

I mean, what HE said.

My problem with plastic isn't related to heat retention as some are discussing: it's that it grabs flavor from everything and plays it back for you -- dishwasher soap especially. I'm a tea drinker and find that if a plastic cup has been used for coffee, that residual smell/taste remains in the plastic for several uses.

I'd rather have a cup that is stainless on the inside and plastic on the outside rather than this inside-out option.

devandineen1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages devandineen1

id rather over pay then be called a peon....

Devan Dineen

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
fleurat wrote:Never buy anything from Woot.com....when they send you defective products, they make you pay to send it back. Worst customer service I have ever received.

Hi there!

Looks like you may have missed our handy Member Services team replying right here to your previous concerns. If you need anything else, just hit that "write us" link up top and let them know!

I'm just hanging out, really.

gymst

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gymst
scharton wrote:Plastic inner liner. No thanks.

Agreed. I was sold until I saw that one product shot. I like my coffee like I like my men - dishwasher safe and HOT!

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 36 Private Messages jiggersgreen
Sardinicus wrote:I mean, what HE said.

My problem with plastic isn't related to heat retention as some are discussing: it's that it grabs flavor from everything and plays it back for you -- dishwasher soap especially. I'm a tea drinker and find that if a plastic cup has been used for coffee, that residual smell/taste remains in the plastic for several uses.

I'd rather have a cup that is stainless on the inside and plastic on the outside rather than this inside-out option.

You're right about the dish soap, thats why I soak and sanitize with white vinegar. I'ts served me well for years.

ellareid82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ellareid82

Thanks for the input on this product. Answers quite a few questions I had.

daha wrote:I already own one of these. It's a slightly different model. There's no handle, and I think the capacity is 20 instead of 16.

I'm happy with it, I've had no taste residue from the plastic lining, it doesn't leak when the top is screwed in tight, you can drink through the top when the top is half-unscrewed (but if you tip it over while half-unscrewed, yes, it will leak), it does fine in the dishwasher, heat retention is less than a thermos bottle but still pretty good.

I'm in for three pair. They'll make good teacher gifts at my kid's school.

oldskoolandy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oldskoolandy

If you're on the fence about plastic vs metal lining do yourself a favor and buy a Contigo "Auto Seal" . You'll spend a bit more but I love mine for all the auto interiors and keyboards it has saved when I have knocked it over,dropped it, or otherwise been the klutz that I am .

Contigo