GOGO11


quality posts: 1 Private Messages GOGO11

Well, not least favorite, but most noticeably driving poorly without an excuse:
The guy on the empty interstate who gets on your bumper before getting into the passing lane, and then after passing moves back into your lane as soon as he is 3 feet in front of you.

I'm the guy who then moves into the passing lane in order to keep a 3 second gap between us on the empty interstate.

Even excellent drivers do something really stupid about once a year so I just assume that's what I'm seeing and do my part to try to allow for it, hoping that they will do the same next time I make a driving error.

mbreynol


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mbreynol

the blows by me doing 55 or better on residential streets where there is limited sight-distance guy. He scares me.

Squid


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Squid

The "drives in the left-hand lane" guy..!
Unless you are actively passing someone or will be passing someone within 30 seconds - GET OVER!!

webgrunt


quality posts: 3 Private Messages webgrunt

It seems like a lot of people don't understand the concept of merging. They enter the freeway at 10-15 MPH slower than existing traffic, forcing everyone behind them to hit the brakes and slow down if the passing lane(s) are occupied. Then they gradually increase their speed to the flow of traffic so by the time a space in the passing lane opens, you no longer need to pass them.

These inconsiderate dolts should be lectured severely, they're causing a hazard and forcing others to waste gas.

If anyone has to slow down for you when you enter a freeway or any road, you're doing it wrong.

redncatty


quality posts: 0 Private Messages redncatty

THe guy that uses his blinker or not...but slows almost to a complete stop before making a turn off of the 50 mph road.

BarryGandJennyC


quality posts: 0 Private Messages BarryGandJennyC

I hate the people who speed up when you start to pass them. I don't understand what they can be thinking. It's stupid and dangerous.

akivaj


quality posts: 0 Private Messages akivaj
MathUhhhSaurus wrote:Here's a solution


Ah, hilarious.

-Super Crochety.

Tormey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tormey

Talking on the phone and pull out in front of you and goes slow when you are going 75 on a highway. I love my phone but PLEASE drive safe!!!

Weezmeister


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Weezmeister

The guy who has no time to merge behind me and must pass me to merge inches from my front bumper, thereby shaving .2 seconds from his/her commute, until you factor in the upcoming stop lights. Thanks Speedy.

MisterRon


quality posts: 6 Private Messages MisterRon

The trucker who has to coast down steep grades as fast as his/her fully loaded rig can go. Then ending up at my back bumper, forcing me to speed up when there's either no other lane to get into or when there IS another lane I can't get over due to traffic. Plus, I'm usually already 5 to 10 miles over the speed limit when that happens.

MisterRon

chloecat


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chloecat

The no brakes does 65mph everywhere (school zone, neighborhood, highway, parking lot, etc.) guy

clh

djames42


quality posts: 9 Private Messages djames42

Definitely #3 (which absolutely defines the driving behavior of 99.999% of SUV owners).

Also, can someone please invent a SUV headlight reflector so that when a SUV is behind me, instead of blinding me with his jacked-up-compensation-vehicle lights, they reflect back and blind him instead?

Adelas


quality posts: 11 Private Messages Adelas
Discord wrote:The person that has to constantly cut in and out of traffic when it's obvious that no lanes are faster than any other lanes. And so you keep passing him in traffic and he has to keep being as fast as possible. And then he cuts you off to get in front of you for a few more yards and changes lanes again. And still ends up behind you. And rinse and repeat.



My husband is that guy. Tailgating until he can see an opening to one side, swerving super fast into that lane with inches to spare, then to whip in front of the guy he was tailgating.... right in time to get off the highway.

Why can't they understand that EVEN if they COULD go 85mph (15 over the speed limit) consistently for the entire journey (without getting "cut off" by people going the speed limit, and including down the driveway at home and into the parking lot at work), over the course of the 18-mile trip they've reduced their drive time by a whopping 2.7 minutes... and their spouse's life expectancy by 2 months?

There was a time when we used to ride share to work because we only had one car. Once or twice I thought about surreptitiously calling to tip off the cops which road we'd be driving on so they could be there waiting.

My own contribution to the list is the person who thinks that because we're in the 'fast lane' I'm required to drive over the speed limit. Guess what, bozo: I'm driving the fastest anyone is supposed to be driving. It is fully within my rights to be driving in the fast lane; the "slow lane" is so designated for people who may need or want to go LESS THAN the speed limit: trucks or folks pulling trailers and the like. The fast lane is for those who are not going BELOW the speed limit.

If you are determined to break the law anyway, then you can skip your happy ass into the middle lane and pass me there. Not like you're going to balk at breaking the law, since that's WHY you need to pass me.

Doubly so if I'm already going five over the limit.

tiler100


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiler100
Adelas wrote:
If you are determined to break the law anyway, then you can skip your happy ass into the middle lane and pass me there. Not like you're going to balk at breaking the law, since that's WHY you need to pass me.

Doubly so if I'm already going five over the limit.



Thank you for causing unnecessary traffic.

choward24


quality posts: 0 Private Messages choward24

The drive in the passing lane all day guy.

jamileigh17


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jamileigh17

The guy who goes 20 in a 45 zone 2 lane, no passing for the next 10 miles road.
I swear, it's the same caddy on my way to work multiple times, and every time, I'm shocked no one has shot him yet.

musicmaniac32


quality posts: 1 Private Messages musicmaniac32

Passionate topic.

As a pedestrian and as a driver, I hate the no-blinker guy. It's not hard! Use your turn signal! It's especially infuriating when I'm walking to the bus stop. There are no crosswalks anywhere near my bus stop so I have to jaywalk. When it's all clear along the main street, I look towards the side street to see if anyone is pulling out onto the main street. If I know which way the car is turning, I know when to walk. Without the signal light, either I'm going to be afraid they're going to hit me or I end up wasting time.
As a driver, I can't understand why you wouldn't use a signal light. Obviously people need to know which way you're turning so they know how to slow down or get over.

I also want to put in a vote for "rides my brakes" guy. If you're constantly on your brakes, not only are you damaging your brakes, but you're forcing everyone behind you to ride their brakes, too. Brake when you need to stop, otherwise, just let up on the gas. There is no need to constantly tap the brakes. You're just making me think there's someone in front of you when really the nearest car is miles away or that you need to turn when you actually don't (since I never know when you are really turning, usually due to a lack of turn signal. :-/

Dumb drivers are the main reason I choose to ride the bus as much as possible.

slouise217


quality posts: 0 Private Messages slouise217

For those of you complaining about having people tailgate you, especially one poster who claimed this happens to him when there are other lanes available.... if that's the case, then YOU should move into one of the other lanes!! This ain't rocket science. You don't own the road, and if someone else wants to use the far left lane to pass, and you're blocking their way, they shouldn't have to move into a center or right lane to pass you! Once you've passed the car YOU were wanting to go faster than, YOU should pull over. The law is keep right except to pass, and you should start doing that. Today!

tiler100


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiler100
slouise217 wrote:For those of you complaining about having people tailgate you, especially one poster who claimed this happens to him when there are other lanes available.... if that's the case, then YOU should move into one of the other lanes!! This ain't rocket science. You don't own the road, and if someone else wants to use the far left lane to pass, and you're blocking their way, they shouldn't have to move into a center or right lane to pass you! Once you've passed the car YOU were wanting to go faster than, YOU should pull over. The law is keep right except to pass, and you should start doing that. Today!


:swoon:

slouise217


quality posts: 0 Private Messages slouise217
Adelas wrote:
My own contribution to the list is the person who thinks that because we're in the 'fast lane' I'm required to drive over the speed limit. Guess what, bozo: I'm driving the fastest anyone is supposed to be driving. It is fully within my rights to be driving in the fast lane; the "slow lane" is so designated for people who may need or want to go LESS THAN the speed limit: trucks or folks pulling trailers and the like. The fast lane is for those who are not going BELOW the speed limit.

If you are determined to break the law anyway, then you can skip your happy ass into the middle lane and pass me there. Not like you're going to balk at breaking the law, since that's WHY you need to pass me.



You're 100% in the wrong here, Adelas. The left lane is for passing traffic. When you're done passing, you should pull over. It's not a cruising lane, no matter what speed you're travelling!

It's not your job to parent anyone else on the road and enforce traffic laws, and so your ridiculous rant that you're going as fast as anyone should be going, and therefore no one else can legitimately complain? Totally bogus. No one should EVER, EVER, EVER have to pull over and pass you on the right - if the next lane over is free, and you aren't fixin' to pass someone else, it' YOU who should pull over to the right!

Please LEARN this and apply it in your daily life. Otherwise, you're behaving rudely. You don't own the road. When you're passing someone, do it - and then get over. It's not rocket science. In fact, in most states, it's the law. Slower traffic is supposed to keep right except to pass. If someone is coming up behind you, regardless of their speed and the relationship to the speed limit, if they're going faster than you, YOU ARE THE SLOWER TRAFFIC, and YOU should keep to the right!

Please, please, please educate yourself, acknowledge that you're wrong here, and change your behavior.

slouise217


quality posts: 0 Private Messages slouise217
bogus wrote:
Also, people who flash their brights at me for the heinous crime of going the speed limit in the left lane of a four-lane highway with heavy traffic where every exit is a cloverleaf and cops are always looking to bust people for doing 60 in a 55 zone. Fellas, I'm through traffic, if it was six-lane like it ought to be I'd be in the middle lane but until then we've all just got to deal with it.



If someone flashes their lights at you, trying to get you to pull to the right so that they can pass, and there isn't a place for your reasonably pull over, then they're a jerk.

But I doubt that happens very much at all! What really happens is that you COULD pull over, but you choose not to, and it's YOUR FAILURE to keep right except to pass that's the issue here, NOT them flashing their lights at you! And you're the jerk.

You being "thru traffic" has no bearing on this. Pull over, and the next time the car in front of you, in the right lane, is going slower than you want to go, pull back over and pass them. The left lane is for passing - not cruising. The road wasn't built with your convenience in mind. Slower traffic should keep right, and so when someone comes up behind you when you're in the left lane, wanting to go faster, you're the slower traffic!

musicmaniac32


quality posts: 1 Private Messages musicmaniac32

Seems like a lot of you will enjoy this video:

Cop Screws with Slow Driver in the Fast Lane

jwrebholz


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jwrebholz
musicmaniac32 wrote:Seems like a lot of you will enjoy this video:

Cop Screws with Slow Driver in the Fast Lane



And some wonder why people hate cops.

tiler100


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiler100
slouise217 wrote:
It's not your job to parent anyone else on the road and enforce traffic laws, and so your ridiculous rant that you're going as fast as anyone should be going, and therefore no one else can legitimately complain? Totally bogus. No one should EVER, EVER, EVER have to pull over and pass you on the right - if the next lane over is free, and you aren't fixin' to pass someone else, it' YOU who should pull over to the right!



You and several others have stated this more eloquently than I. Kudos. I think there's a larger issue at play. People want to have something to complain about, I fully believe that. These people are knowingly engaging in behavior that upsets them and they march into battle thinking they're correctness justifies their rude and dangerous behavior.

Complexify that with a little victim mentality and you have a perfect cocktail for someone to say, "poor me, I'm just trying to obey the law and I'm being bullied for it. Woe is me!" It's relevant to note that none of the self-designated speed enforcers have offered a solution yet steadfastly maintained the correctness of their position.

Fact is, a lot less tailgating would occur if the left lane were observed as a passing lane only. It's a point that gets lost in the blame tossing. People don't want to ride ass, they want to go. If the left lane were open, they'd go there.

Alas, the left-lane vigilante doesn't want to solve the problem because if tailgating went away, they'd have no little pity party to throw for themselves. They want tailgating. They must; they are the ones perpetuating it.

rakapur


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rakapur

the chilling zephyr that is doing below the speed limit in the passing lane pisses me off. the passing lane is for passing or speeding

sbyers77


quality posts: 1 Private Messages sbyers77

Guy who merges into 60+ MPH traffic at 40 MPH, especially when I am on the on-ramp behind him trying to merge safely.

Guy who drive 15 MPH through a neighborhood (because he thinks it's safer) but then doesn't stop at stop signs, in fact he may not slow at all. Additionally, its always a minivan.

Guy who has illegal super bright HID lights in a halogen housing.



sbyers77


quality posts: 1 Private Messages sbyers77

Oh, I forgot one: Bicyclists!

Somehow they think they can become pedestrians at any given moment and use crosswalks and sidewalks whenever convenient for them. Also, traffic laws are meaningless and are not to be followed unless it helps them somehow.

sbyers77


quality posts: 1 Private Messages sbyers77

Lastly: Runners who run in the road when there is a perfectly good sidewalk specifically built and exclusively for pedestrians!

Thanks for making it super dangerous for both of us for no logical reason whatsoever!

Richpal


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Richpal

The one which says COEXIST.
Screw that. It's America...all for one and one for all.

Richard Palmer

blanked


quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
tiler100 wrote:



`snip` People don't want to ride ass, they want to go. If the left lane were open, they'd go there.



I disagree, there have been times when coming up on someone in the right lane, and only going a few miles faster, I've decided not to pass (usually because I'm exiting soon) so I take my foot of the gas and coast. Strangely enough there have been those where I still had to brake, even though I hadn't tailgated and was slowing down 4 seconds back they started slowing faster than my loss of momentum. It is like they preemptively applied punishment for the 'crime'. Oh wait I guess I agree with you.

As for those that expect people to merge when there is 2 miles and likely 2 crossroads before the lane actually ends get over it. I will use the lane until it is not a lane. And your refusal not to let people in exacerbates it because you cause those trying to merge to be unable, so they go farther up hoping someone is one of those 'nice' people you hate so much. What, are they supposed to stop dead in a lane and wait for 3 miles of cars to pass hoping for an opening? The worst one of you I have encountered nearly caused me to rear end him. He was in traffic that wasn't moving, I was going 30 on a freeway exit lane. When I was 20 feet away he pulled out in front of me but stayed not moving. I had to swerve onto the dirt not-a-shoulder. Hey! wanna guess why I was in the exit lane!?! But apparently he felt I wasn't allowed to use it.
Though when I watch someone pull out of the queue to try and pass 3 cars I try to make them be farther back in the line. Yay exceptions.

sbyers77 wrote:Guy who merges into 60+ MPH traffic at 40 MPH, especially when I am on the on-ramp behind him trying to merge safely.


Worse are the ones that come to a complete stop because they are too scared to merge. Oh yah, you will get onto the road that way. `eyeroll`

merrellyn


quality posts: 1 Private Messages merrellyn
margatuti wrote:The recreational braker. Always out in force when anything more than a light rain hits the Pacific Northwest. You would think it didn't rain here 300 days a year. Ah -- but usually it's a light mist -- or a drizzle. If it actually RAINS -- then panic sets in. I get IN FRONT of nervous Ned or Nelly on the freeway -- so when the chain reaction accident they cause happens I'm in the clear.



You think it's scary driving near that person? Try being in the car with them. You get seasick! Then, you have to drive any time you go anywhere together bc they are such a bad driver!

margatuti


quality posts: 0 Private Messages margatuti

musicmaniac32 wrote:Seems like a lot of you will enjoy this video:

Cop Screws with Slow Driver in the Fast Lane

jwrebholz wrote:And some wonder why people hate cops.



Nope. I wonder why you see a problem with this. Dumb@$$ is lucky he didn't get a ticket. The officer was being generous!

ashenkhar


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ashenkhar
locotodd wrote:the gut who weaves in and out of traffic, tailgates, is constantly speeding 10 -15 mph over the limit, never uses his blinker - and gives me a ticket for going 5 MPH over the speed limit



Yeah, I see a LOT of "those guys". It's almost as if they are above the law...

ashenkhar


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ashenkhar
Adelas wrote:If you are determined to break the law anyway, then you can skip your happy ass into the middle lane and pass me there. Not like you're going to balk at breaking the law, since that's WHY you need to pass me.

Doubly so if I'm already going five over the limit.



So going 5 over is okay? What about 6 over? 7? 10?

I guess I missed the part where we have "Traffic laws according to Adelas". News flash... 5 over is breaking the law too. Get out of the left lane.

djames42


quality posts: 9 Private Messages djames42
slouise217 wrote:But I doubt that happens very much at all! What really happens is that you COULD pull over, but you choose not to, and it's YOUR FAILURE to keep right except to pass that's the issue here, NOT them flashing their lights at you! And you're the jerk.



This reminds me of the people with bumper stickers on their cars that say things like, "don't tailgate me or I'll flick a booger on your windshield" and "get over it, it was only a lane change." Obviously if these things are a big enough deal that you have people riding your butt or going postal on you for changing lanes, you're clearly the sort of person who needs to stay out of the left lane and who should stop cutting in front of people.

People who hog the left lane doing their civic duty to keep people from speeding haven't a Scooby that what they're really doing is making the roadways more dangerous. I know of one cop in the Seattle area who says he'll pull over the guy impeding traffic before he'll pull over the people speeding to get around them. Why? Because he knows there are a hundred cars who will aggressively pass that one guy and he can't possibly do anything about all of them, but he can get that one guy out of the way. The net effect is that the roadway will be safer. Keep that in mind when you hog the left lane instead of pulling over to let people pass you.

michelleleaphillips


quality posts: 1 Private Messages michelleleaphillips

The "hovers beside you and tries to race for no reason" guy.

And if even one person can give me a good reason for people stopping right beside you at a light/sign (even if there is 20 feet, no joke, in front of them), then staring at you, be my guest. Everyone does it! People go out of their way to look at you! And it isn't like my car is a looker, either. This is a legitimate question, why do people do that? I understand being aware of your surroundings but this seems to go beyond that. People of all genders races and creeds will break neck to stare at you and it's weird.

motospyder


quality posts: 16 Private Messages motospyder

I hate everybody.
HEY, get off my streets!!
That's right, I DO own the road! And the traffic laws are there for my amusement.

This thread has awakened a lot of angry people.

PocketBrain


quality posts: 44 Private Messages PocketBrain
trainplanescars wrote:I forgot to mention the guy doing 65 in the 65 zone that sees a cop and hits his brakes and slows to 55. Does he think hes going to get a special reward or something. You can go by the cop at the speed limit, nothing will happen.
etc etc...


... with the cop on the opposite side of the road, oncoming.

YES, THAT guy. What, does he think the cops will pull him over and GIVE HIM MONEY for going slow? And yes, I always give them a lane when they are on my side of the road; their work isn't a joy, considering they are dealing with the dregs about whom we are complaining and are rather vulnerable at the side of the expressway.

webgrunt


quality posts: 3 Private Messages webgrunt
Adelas wrote:My husband is that guy. Tailgating until he can see an opening to one side, swerving super fast into that lane with inches to spare, then to whip in front of the guy he was tailgating.... right in time to get off the highway.

Why can't they understand that EVEN if they COULD go 85mph (15 over the speed limit) consistently for the entire journey (without getting "cut off" by people going the speed limit, and including down the driveway at home and into the parking lot at work), over the course of the 18-mile trip they've reduced their drive time by a whopping 2.7 minutes... and their spouse's life expectancy by 2 months?

There was a time when we used to ride share to work because we only had one car. Once or twice I thought about surreptitiously calling to tip off the cops which road we'd be driving on so they could be there waiting.

My own contribution to the list is the person who thinks that because we're in the 'fast lane' I'm required to drive over the speed limit. Guess what, bozo: I'm driving the fastest anyone is supposed to be driving. It is fully within my rights to be driving in the fast lane; the "slow lane" is so designated for people who may need or want to go LESS THAN the speed limit: trucks or folks pulling trailers and the like. The fast lane is for those who are not going BELOW the speed limit.

If you are determined to break the law anyway, then you can skip your happy ass into the middle lane and pass me there. Not like you're going to balk at breaking the law, since that's WHY you need to pass me.

Doubly so if I'm already going five over the limit.



Here's a news flash for you: You're a bigger road hazard than your husband. You're both lousy drivers, but you are actually more likely to cause a fatal accident than he is by blocking the passing lane. You can justify it all you like by blaming it on the speeders, but speeding itself causes fewer accidents than blocking the passing lane causes.

webgrunt


quality posts: 3 Private Messages webgrunt

Oh, here's one many of you will love.

My wife and I visited Alaska a few years ago.

In Alaska, there's a two-lane road between Anchorage and Seward. It's a fairly long drive, I forget but at least an hour or two, and there's very little opportunity to pass. However, every few miles there are huge turn-outs, and every mile or two there are huge signs saying "PULL OFF TO LET TRAFFIC PASS" and "IF YOU HAVE FIVE OR MORE CARS BEHIND YOU AND DON'T PULL OFF TO LET THEM PASS, YOU WILL GET A TICKET!"

I thought the enormous number of those signs were overkill, even though the road is extremely scenic and a very popular tourist area.

I was wrong.

After we got back to Anchorage, we went to a nearby park and saw another tourist from the lower 49 states. She started complaining to me how unfair the police were to her husband for ticketing him for not driving fast enough on the road to Seward.

I imagined her husband driving 20 MPH under the limit, rubbernecking at all the pretty scenery, completely oblivious to the hundreds of signs screaming at him to pull over and let cars pass, the fifty cars lined up behind him honking and screaming, and all the big turnouts Alaska had created for tourists like us to pull off and admire the view.

I didn't say anything, because I was afraid if I started that I wouldn't be able to stop. I wondered how many people trying to travel that roadway are late for work, school, appointments, flights etc. on account of Krampus tourists who don't have the presence of mind to realize there are other people around them.