+ Add a Comment

borntohunt

quality posts: 103 Private Messages borntohunt

Thanks for another nice deal Woot. Hope you do not interrupt your holiday plans trying to get these shipped.

chalion

quality posts: 8 Private Messages chalion
jbonatesta wrote:not that I know. Returned one because of that. Does it do Angry Birds ?

First picture shows the angry birds app icon on this tablet.

I was almost interested in this, but I already gave moofi(woot) money for the Samsung Galaxy 10.1" tablet last week. Still, for the IR functionality it's almost worth the price.

Recommended signature image size is 5k.

cpaulm3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cpaulm3

Rooting allows you to get administrator control of the Android device, allowing you to remove the restrictions that the manufacturers put on the device. In the Apple world it is called 'Jail Breaking'.

mh1988

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mh1988

I had to jump into one of these since HP touchpad went flying yesterday.

finally got a tablet. after a year of waiting =)

jl3comp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jl3comp
theguruguys wrote:I just set one of these up for a customer last week. The stock interface (skin) is easy to use and it performs fast. I was really impressed, it has all the features of more expensive tablets (I don't consider the lack of rear camera a loss, it does have a front facing one), and look/feels solid. One of the best budget tablets out there! Its shame they won't ship by Christmas.

New to site and grabbed 3. What makes you say they won't ship by Christmas? I see nothing that indicates that?!

chalion

quality posts: 8 Private Messages chalion
jl3comp wrote:New to site and grabbed 3. What makes you say they won't ship by Christmas? I see nothing that indicates that?!

ThunderThighs remarked that the shipping was changed after the sale was posted. Check quality posts to find it.

Recommended signature image size is 5k.

jl3comp

Megamac125 wrote:I played with one of these in Costco...it was terrible. Slow as molasses and seemed to crash at every turn.

I'd be careful of opinions based on display models abused by hundreds of shoppers....my humble opinion.

adhurt

quality posts: 14 Private Messages adhurt
Megamac125 wrote:I played with one of these in Costco...it was terrible. Slow as molasses and seemed to crash at every turn.

May not have had the newest update. That was a game changer on its performance.

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity..." Lazarus Long

gmccoy7923

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gmccoy7923

IPSsec connectivity, good question...a lot of corporate users are not aware of the security vulnerabilities.

I'd suggest you check out 'Good Technology'.
http://www.good.com/

I just ran into them at a trade show, interesting products.

They provide some Android/IOS/iPad tools to help connect to corporate resources (mail, calendar, web, etc) over encrypted tunnels, from within an encrypted app.

nomad139

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nomad139

My Vizio tablet has been great so far. Owned it for about a month and had it freeze up on the home screen a few times but nothing too significant. I've only been forced to reboot it once ; pretty good for new hardware, even if not new software...

Skype calls are sideways but this hasn't been anything more than a conversation piece for me. The camera works great for skype calls but it's no replacement for a decent digital camera.

Focusing on the positive, Netflix has worked flawlessly. All of the Apps from the Android market have worked and there's a lot of them. The IR blaster works for all of my old electronic items as well as the new stuff. Many of my favorite websites have Apps that are ready to go for me and the sites auto-recognized my device as Android every time. The screen looks really really good.

As for ICS.... I if it's supported, then I might upgrade but things are working so well that I might not bother.

deano2423

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deano2423

can anyone comment on the speed of the device. Thinking about getting this for my parents (not tech savy) and wouldn't want them to have to fuss around with a lagging interface.

They won't really use it for much either. Mostly web browsing/email and the more simple functions.

Thanks in advance

dorendahall11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dorendahall11

wants to know what anyone thinks of the item for sale on woot, the Vizio 8” Android Tablet with Wi-Fi and Folio Case?.

scottybox

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scottybox
adhurt wrote:May not have had the newest update. That was a game changer on its performance.

Is it safe to assume these will get the update after being refurb'd?

scottybox

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scottybox
dorendahall11 wrote:wants to know what anyone thinks of the item for sale on woot, the Vizio 8” Android Tablet with Wi-Fi and Folio Case?.

This piece of junk is great.

tofertoast

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tofertoast

So... I was about to spring and get 2 to 3 Tablets for my siblings and parents for christmas and was about to get the $200 Amazon Fire's.. so... Can anyone tell me how these would compare? Specs wise I assume the fire is faster but beyond that...?

I'd be saving $105 essentially and could buy them more stuff hah.. so any help is appreciated! :-D
Thanks!

borntohunt

quality posts: 103 Private Messages borntohunt

Vizio Tablet Product Web Site

Vizio Tablet News Tab Reports & Repeats Engadget's Interview details about Android Ver. 3 Honeycomb is their direction below:

"VIZIO Tablet gets detailed, we go hands-on"

June 21, 2011

"Way back in January at CES, we managed to sneak in a little bit of hands-on time with the Vizio tablet, the TV manufacturer's straightforwardly-named foray into the ever-popular space. The tablet runs Gingerbread at present, though Vizio has said that it's willing to make the leap over to the tablet-optimized Honeycomb, as soon as that operating system is deemed sufficiently stable by the company...Read More"

Featured Apps:

ooVoo ---> Be together with friends and family wherever you are. With the VIZIO Tablet you can see people on their phone, PC or Mac.

nomad139

scottybox wrote:Is it safe to assume these will get the update after being refurb'd?

Yes that's a safe bet since it will act like any other one and do the update.

nomad139

tofertoast wrote:So... I was about to spring and get 2 to 3 Tablets for my siblings and parents for christmas and was about to get the $200 Amazon Fire's.. so... Can anyone tell me how these would compare? Specs wise I assume the fire is faster but beyond that...?

I'd be saving $105 essentially and could buy them more stuff hah.. so any help is appreciated! :-D
Thanks!

If you do a Google on fire vs vizio you will see many opinions expressed.

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82
tofertoast wrote:So... I was about to spring and get 2 to 3 Tablets for my siblings and parents for christmas and was about to get the $200 Amazon Fire's.. so... Can anyone tell me how these would compare? Specs wise I assume the fire is faster but beyond that...?

Thanks!

The Fire would be better if they intend to use the device for reading Kindle books and using other Amazon offerings (movies, magazenes, music) BUT, if they are looking for something that is a bit more versitile, the Vizio is better. There is a Kindle app for the Vizio, BUT the Fire has a better screen and has a modified version of Android. However, with the Fire you are basically locked in to Amazon's offerings. If you have the cash, drop it on the Fire's, if you want most of the same general function but don't care that it is as high quality, go Vizio.

Personnaly, I would get the new Nook if you are contemplating the Fire.

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad
bpeterson82 wrote:The Fire would be better if they intend to use the device for reading Kindle books and using other Amazon offerings (movies, magazenes, music) BUT, if they are looking for something that is a bit more versitile, the Vizio is better. There is a Kindle app for the Vizio, BUT the Fire has a better screen and has a modified version of Android. However, with the Fire you are basically locked in to Amazon's offerings. If you have the cash, drop it on the Fire's, if you want most of the same general function but don't care that it is as high quality, go Vizio.

Instead of the Nook I would grab the Acer A100 at a certain Big Box electronic store whose initials are BB.

It is going for 259 at that store and is roadmapped to get an official ICS upgrade (1Q 2012 is what I hear), and has official bluetooth support.

The screen on the Nook might be better, I havent seen them side by side, but I have read a newspaper on the Acer and it was not bad at all.

brainassembler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brainassembler

just snagged two after returning some crappy sylvania tablets i bought from sears.... WOOT WOOT!!!

tofertoast

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tofertoast
bpeterson82 wrote:The Fire would be better if they intend to use the device for reading Kindle books and using other Amazon offerings (movies, magazenes, music) BUT, if they are looking for something that is a bit more versitile, the Vizio is better. There is a Kindle app for the Vizio, BUT the Fire has a better screen and has a modified version of Android. However, with the Fire you are basically locked in to Amazon's offerings. If you have the cash, drop it on the Fire's, if you want most of the same general function but don't care that it is as high quality, go Vizio.

Thanks for the thoughts, I think after actually thinking about it my one sister has a regular kindle, thus buying a fire would just be like upgrading her to a better kindle. Getting both my sister's the viztab is actually giving them a tablet. I imagine they would use it for kindle, netflix, web browsing, simple games and the like.
I think i'm in for 2... maybe even 3.. egads where's my credit card.

jl3comp

theguruguys wrote:On the main page, see the icon on the bottom left:

Mine STILL says "will arrive by Christmas."
Hope So....

DennisWKam

quality posts: 22 Private Messages DennisWKam

Staff

kellohr wrote:Right price and features for my kids. I ordered last night before I saw the not available for Christmas icon, and then desperately tried to cancel. Checked back at lunch today, and it now arrives by Christmas. I sent woot an email saying nevermind on the cancellations, but I haven't heard back yet. I have no idea if I'm getting these for Christmas, or not. So confusing...

Sorry about that. We got your emails and also your emails to cancel the cancel. We'll process and ship out your order as originally intended.

wvutkep1002

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wvutkep1002
jfe wrote:Does it Hulu+ and Netflix?

YES:

http://www.vizio.com/vtab1008.html

I just keep buying more and more crap...

buffaloed

quality posts: 28 Private Messages buffaloed
sdc100 wrote:RE: UPGRADING TO ANDROID 3.0 (HONEYCOMB)

The official word from Vizio in June was that yes, Android 3.0 will be available once everything is "stable." The writer of this excellent article, however, shows some skepticism.

I'd be skeptical too considering app development for honeycomb is essentially dead. There weren't that many apps optimized for honeycomb to begin with due to lack of demand. With ICS out it makes even less sense to spend any time developing honeycomb.

dustandflower

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dustandflower

Well Woot, you saved me 30 bucks so thank you first of all (the Vizio I bought from Walmart was about $200) but couldn't you have gotten this up on your site a little sooner? Then I could have just got this from you in the first place and wouldn't have had to drive 30 miles to return the other...So I guess I saved more like $5 when you factor in the cost of gas...still Wally-world doesn't sell them with the case included so I can't complain.

tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff
Burning-Chrome wrote:I'm in the evil 1%. Love my expensive iPad!

Me too. iPad is the greatest invention ever.

That being said, I am getting one of these for my dad for Christmas. Despite some bad posts, there are plenty of really good ones. For $150, worth a shot.

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

bomama94

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bomama94

Amazon lists this as one of the features of the Vtab "Built-in GPS: Find your way with the VIZIO Tablet's built-in GPS, which doesn't need Wi-Fi or 3G/4G to operate." Sounds like the tablet comes equipped with offline gps which would be a huge plus, but I can't find this listed as a feature or specification on Woot. Am I missing something here?

Reference: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-8-Inch-Tablet-WiFi-VTAB1008/dp/B005B9G79I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323739786&sr=8-1

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82

How are these not sold out? Are there ten billion of them?

24ktdad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 24ktdad

"I Want One!" logo is bouncing, so its gonna end soon! Bought one earlier this morning.....can't wait!

Always hunting for the illustrious Bag of Coal.......

Da5id

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Da5id

It seems to me that w00t usually provides some information about the refurb. Has anyone ever bought a refurbished tablet from w00t? Should I be worried about a depleted battery, scratched screen, etc. I guess this is a message of hope. Is there any reason I should hold out for some of that?

Da5id

borntohunt wrote:Thanks for another nice deal Woot. Hope you do not interrupt your holiday plans trying to get these shipped.

Me too, because if they are shipping on the 24th or 25th, this gift for my sister is not going to arrive by that special morning. That's okay, I'll just forward her w00t's e-mail about its delay.

Da5id

chalion wrote:First picture shows the angry birds app icon on this tablet.

I was almost interested in this, but I already gave moofi(woot) money for the Samsung Galaxy 10.1" tablet last week. Still, for the IR functionality it's almost worth the price.

Yes, I bought one of w00t's Insight harmony like remotes. As a gift. Let's say it didn't work out so well. So I am looking at this as a kind of fancy remote.

nomad139

bomama94 wrote:Amazon lists this as one of the features of the Vtab "Built-in GPS: Find your way with the VIZIO Tablet's built-in GPS, which doesn't need Wi-Fi or 3G/4G to operate." Sounds like the tablet comes equipped with offline gps which would be a huge plus, but I can't find this listed as a feature or specification on Woot. Am I missing something here?

Reference: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-8-Inch-Tablet-WiFi-VTAB1008/dp/B005B9G79I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323739786&sr=8-1

The GPS is built-in and uses google navigation beta. I have used it successfully when setting it under wifi then hitting the road but it had trouble locating when I started off with just the device as a GPS alone

mikewbingham

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikewbingham
sdc100 wrote:(Rooting) means taking full control of the device so that you can make modifications that the manufacturer never intended.

Unless, of course, you live in Australia.

tikan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tikan

I feel so bad for the victims about to receive this as a gift.

:}

nomad139

Just to clarify... I just went for a walk to the school by my home with the vizio in hand. It was able to follow my position on the streets exactly, so I know the GPS was working perfectly but it didn't give me turn-by-turn. I guess that's why they call it beta.

mcsnopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcsnopper

Anyone think Woot! might throw a refurbished Motorola Xoom up sometime in the near future?