4%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Philips 32" 720p LCD HDTV
$229.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

collinvh

quality posts: 57 Private Messages collinvh

Going to see if I can find the receipt and return policy for the TV we got for Christmas... I'll be back...

kalilynn19

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kalilynn19

Sad that you could get these new right before Christmas from Best Buy...

ebersole12

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ebersole12

Great value. I have this tv as my desktop monitor and I paid 279. It's worth ever penny in my opinion. I'd def pay 230 for it. I bought it online for 279 before Halloween. Does everything I need it to as speakers and a monitor.

MCKamikaze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MCKamikaze

A refurb for that much?!, that's outrageous.

vipermjb

quality posts: 40 Private Messages vipermjb

So is HDMI 2 on the side, I'm PRETTY sure I see it, and figuring it's 1 and 3 on the back...anyone confirm this?

jasonking0351

quality posts: 16 Private Messages jasonking0351

I purchased a 47" TV from Woot and I can tell you that the shipping is an incredible value. Plus, FedEx handled the delivery with great professionalism.

I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a TV again from Woot.

jbhswim

quality posts: 31 Private Messages jbhswim

Shock! It doesn't say how it'll be shipped?! Or did I miss it..

Kapil

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Kapil

I need one for the bedroom. My other one is a Philips and I've been rather pleased with it...and I would like nothing more than a matching set. But I shall wait until more senior Wooters chime in and tell me whether this is a good value or not.

--
www.kapilville.com

evilpaul2012

quality posts: 1 Private Messages evilpaul2012

I'm sure people will want this like I did. Amazon reviews 4 1/2 stars from 13 people. This sounds like a good deal.

Amazon review

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jbhswim wrote:Shock! It doesn't say how it'll be shipped?! Or did I miss it..

I'm gonna guess that it's most likely coming directly from the vendor.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

salwei

quality posts: 3 Private Messages salwei

Fedex shipping handles their packages with care, just ask this guy:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57345876-71/computer-monitor-tossed-over-fence-by-fedex-man/

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

maui

quality posts: 10 Private Messages maui

Cue the 720p, refurb and Philips haters. Fact is, Philips is fine, refurbs are fine, 720 is fine. This is a hella deal, especially historically speaking. Wanna guess what I paid for my first 24" color TV in the 1970s?

jasonking0351

quality posts: 16 Private Messages jasonking0351

etherium

quality posts: 23 Private Messages etherium

From looking at the image, I thought this was a bookcase.

mlawson777

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mlawson777

I found a similar model new at Target for 299, and the reviews that I read were a little scary! I think I'm going to have to pass on this one...

Here's the Target Product Page

ArtShapiro

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ArtShapiro

Question, folks: I still use traditional 4:3 CRT TVs. Would this guy work with a plain non-box, non-HD cable TV coaxial input? If so, how does the extreme difference in shape resolve itself?

mbj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mbj

refurb and 720p, at best, an average deal

gjames

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gjames
maui wrote:Cue the 720p, refurb and Philips haters. Fact is, Philips is fine, refurbs are fine, 720 is fine.

720p would be fine if it was the display's native resolution. I have yet to see one that was. They just can't stop making 768p displays and up-sampling the 720p signal, resulting in a softening (blurring) of the image. They need a 1:1 mode that doesn't resample the image, even if it does mean there's a black border around the entire image (for true 720p sources, otherwise go ahead and preserve as much of the 1080i or p signal as you can).

This coming from someone who uses an HP 768p monitor for iPod playback daily. No speakers, but at better than half the price. (But no 1-to-1.)

mhendrix

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mhendrix

They make very bad quality TV's:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_electronics/philips.html

Expect this tv to work 3 years or less!!!

shortcake49

quality posts: 14 Private Messages shortcake49

I bought one in a previous Woot and use it in my bedroom and it's great.I think I paid $25 more. Very good deal.

cls31s

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cls31s

...if only it were 1080p...

Soapie0

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Soapie0
etherium wrote:From looking at the image, I thought this was a bookcase.

Ha! Ha! I did, too, at first!!

Misty Walker

sucker4crap

quality posts: 19 Private Messages sucker4crap
maui wrote:Cue the 720p, refurb and Philips haters. Fact is, Philips is fine, refurbs are fine, 720 is fine. This is a hella deal, especially historically speaking. Wanna guess what I paid for my first 24" color TV in the 1970s?

I got the employee discount on a 15" off-brand color TV in 1978 and it was over $500 - PS...NO REMOTES BACK THEN... AND THE PICTURE ROLLED!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ArtShapiro wrote:Question, folks: I still use traditional 4:3 CRT TVs. Would this guy work with a plain non-box, non-HD cable TV coaxial input? If so, how does the extreme difference in shape resolve itself?

In our area, once I let the TV do the channel search, it found the HD channels automatically. Each of our local stations has 3 to 4 channels it broadcasts. If I normally watch channel 5, I watch channel 5-1 for HD. It comes right after 5 in scanning up or down or you can enter it on most remotes.

That's my layman's explanation. Someone probably has a more technical and accurate explanation.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

sdc100

quality posts: 502 Private Messages sdc100

Ugh, Phillips. It has a mixed record in terms of innovation and product design. For example, they were key in designing storage media, i.e. the compact cassette, CD, laserdisc and Blu-Ray. But their appliances are middling. And I absolutely hate their remote controls. That said, I swore that I'd never buy Philips A/V appliance if possible because of one reason. Philips designed a system that FORCES viewers to watch commercials, even on recorded media. No more fast forwarding! When news of the patent leaked out, and bad press followed, they gave one of the most mo.ronic explanations I have ever heard. They claimed that some people enjoy watching commercials and that their system ensures that those people can watch them. While the system was never implemented, as far as I know, it makes you wonder about the philosophy of the company.

Philips patent app would force you to watch commercials, both live and recorded

Philips Patents Way To Force TV Viewers To Watch Ads

Philips files for patent to force ad viewing

morachi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages morachi
mhendrix wrote:They make very bad quality TV's:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_electronics/philips.html

Expect this tv to work 3 years or less!!!

I'm not sure what you're getting at with this. You can pretty much input your favorite brand into that site and get complaints.

Phillips is a pretty solid brand I've used them to varying degrees over my life and generally have a very positive impression of them. I will say their customer service/support is probably the best I've ever dealt with.

lindberg79

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lindberg79

I bought a 52" Phillips from Woot back in the Summer of 2009...it was a refurb as well and the picture still looks amazing. No complaints here...I need one for my bedroom to replace my energy sucking 4:3 CRT Sony VEGA...In for 1.

J Hizzle

legendronk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages legendronk

Pretty decent deal, seen a lot better though. I will let this one past me by.

slyphoxj

quality posts: 2 Private Messages slyphoxj

Hmmm... I got a Dynex 32" LCD (DX-32L220A12) from Best Buy for $229.99 a few days before Christmas. I returned it because its clear QAM (basic digital cable) tuner sucked (choppy audio, sometimes wouldn't switch to an HD station when selected). I returned it and got a Sharp 32" LCD (LC-32SV29U) for $20 more. The Sharp's picture quality kinda leaves something to be desired and it has fewer inputs than the Dynex.

So... should I return the Sharp and get this Philips? This Philips has all the inputs I would ever need or want in a smallish TV, including S-Video! I wonder if this Philips has better picture quality than the Dynex or the Sharp models mentioned above.

BUT... it's a refurb and only $20 less than I gave for the brand new Sharp and not a Samsung, Panasonic, Sony or LG.

EDIT: Fixed typo.

tedfarkas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tedfarkas

You can watch 4x3 programming on 16x9 TV without distortion, but you will have a vertical bar on each side of the picture. Alternately, you can stretch the image on most TV-s horizontally (I don't know about this one specifically) to fill the screen, but you will have slightly fat faces and people. After a while you won't notice

susiewoots

quality posts: 16 Private Messages susiewoots

My question is the refresh rate. Shouldn't it be higher than 60Mhz on a quality set? I realize its a 720p and not a true 1080p, but my 32" 720p HD LCD in the living room has awesome video quality. We paid 329 for it 3 years ago at Walmart. Ill have to check the brand, but its a simular quality to this one.l

****edit****
The brand I have is Sanyo.

maui

quality posts: 10 Private Messages maui
sucker4crap wrote:I got the employee discount on a 15" off-brand color TV in 1978 and it was over $500 - PS...NO REMOTES BACK THEN... AND THE PICTURE ROLLED!

Mine was an Arah - Cee - Yay. 830 bucks when my monthly pay wasn't near that. Paid it off, $31 a month to the local furniture store.

john27

quality posts: 4 Private Messages john27
susiewoots wrote:My question is the refresh rate. Shouldn't it be higher than 60Mhz on a quality set? I realize its a 720p and not a true 1080p, but my 32" 720p HD LCD in the living room has awesome video quality. We paid 329 for it 3 years ago at Walmart. Ill have to check the brand, but its a simular quality to this one.

Well it's actually 60hz, not 60mhz.

It refers to how fast the screen changes the image, in this case, 60 times per second. That's faster than any of your old tube TV's, and is plenty fast enough for the majority of the content you'll be watching, as the majority of it is natively below 60hz anyway (often 24hz).

Higher refresh rates do offer an advantage, for example it's needed for 3D content, and when the content being displayed allows it (or, as is the case most of the time, the TV's electronics upsample the content), it can have a smoother image. But don't buy into this idea that 60hz is somehow a low quality or 'sup par' number, that's actually quite a standard number. A few high end sets (and admittedly more and more sets, but not in that price range) are hitting the 120hz+ mark, but 60 is plenty.

slyphoxj

quality posts: 2 Private Messages slyphoxj
maui wrote:Mine was an Arah - Cee - Yay. 830 bucks when my monthly pay wasn't near that. Paid it off, $31 a month to the local furniture store.

Wow, back in the good ol' days before the big box stores, back when you could quickly go into a store, get what you need, and quickly get out without having to walk a mile to get to what you went there after.

Soapie0

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Soapie0

Any of you guys get the Woot Daily Digest?

Just like the Woot monkeys I'm too excited to concentrate on everybody else!! Two things from where I live in Tuscaloosa, Alabama made the news this past year - the devastating tornado and now NATIONAL CHAMPS, BABY!!!! Whoo-hoo!!

(And I notice the monkeys didn't say WHO the National Champions were - that's so they could be in either corner. Way to hedge your bet there, Woot!)

Misty Walker

skywarrior3

quality posts: 47 Private Messages skywarrior3

Do these get super-hot like some other brands? I've wondered how much of a fire hazard they are.

www.howlingdead.com

humrmongr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages humrmongr

uhuh.. Do your homework.

Costco has several NEW 32's, 2 year guarantee, $229-$269.

Sure, Philips is good, refurbs are "ok", but somebody already returned this one once.

raynardo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages raynardo

I bought one of these refurb units a couple of years ago for $100 more. It's been a great TV. Hook it up with a Philips DVD player and it will automatically turn on the TV and switch to the correct HDMI connection and start the movie. Love it!