adr5

quality posts: 4 Private Messages adr5
ArtShapiro wrote:Question, folks: I still use traditional 4:3 CRT TVs. Would this guy work with a plain non-box, non-HD cable TV coaxial input? If so, how does the extreme difference in shape resolve itself?

Assuming your cable TV company is transmitting good old NTSC signals, most are, then yes it will work. Not only that, but if your cable company transmit unscrambled HD signals, you could get some HD channels. Don't discount setting up your own rabbit ears to get over the air free TV. Often times the OTA free TV is of better quality than what your cable company is sending you over the wire. As far as how the picture will look, that is up to you. The TV will give you a choice of showing the 4/3 picture with black bars on either side or some level of zoom and stretch to fit the 4/3 into 16/9. I would stick with the black bars as all of the zoom modes distort the picture and that annoys the heck out of me.

grenade01

quality posts: 5 Private Messages grenade01

I don't get the price.

They have these new at my local (privately owned) electronics shop for $229.99

Why $250 for a refurb? X_x

I think I saw them at Target for $250 new recently as well.

adr5

quality posts: 4 Private Messages adr5
skywarrior3 wrote:Do these get super-hot like some other brands? I've wondered how much of a fire hazard they are.

Most TV's get hot. I checked my LCD TV and the screen runs at about 92 degrees. For a TV to ignite paper it would need to get over 400 degrees. If your TV is that hot, you have a problem. If you want a cooler TV, get one that uses LEDs to backlight the screen. You also will save a few bucks on your electric bill.

onefastwienerdog

quality posts: 6 Private Messages onefastwienerdog

Action blurs like crazy, I'll pass.

Random crap #1 11-28-09-Nice
Random crap #2 08-20-10-Sucked

jlange88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlange88

Same tv new is $270 at best buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Philips+-+32%26%2334%3B+Class+/+720p+/+60Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/2762176.p;jsessionid=9D07F0D063973EDDE849A4044EF937F8.bbolsp-app01-28?id=1218349685516&skuId=2762176

nmill005

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nmill005
jmackinac wrote:I will NEVER and I mean NEV-ER buy anything made by Philips due to the amount of refurbs you see. And this is coming from someone who bought two Dynex 32" LCD TV's from Best Buy this Christmas. The $200 Dynex surprisingly comes highly rated, with little complaints by customers and I even bought a 3 year service plan just in case.

I bought an open box Dynex 19" with a built in DVD player for my daughter's play room. One of the best TV purchases I have made.

yaky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yaky

Between December 13, 2011 and January 5, 2012, this TV was NEW on Amazon for $269.99.

I bet it will drop back to this price or lower within the next 2 months. They probably raised their price so they can sell on woot better.

http://www.camelcamelcamel.com/Philips-32PFL3506-F7-32-inch-Black/product/B004SP0EY0

(you can set an email alert for $275 on this site and it will notify you when the price drops)

chimpygomonkey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chimpygomonkey

I bought a refurbished LCD TV from woot once. It arrived with a couple of dead pixels. A couple of dead pixels does not warrant a replacement from the manufacturer. You needed a silly number of dead pixels for a replacement. I don't buy refurb LCD TVs from woot no mo'.

majer3rd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages majer3rd

It's Tuesday... Whats going on here? It should be two 32" tv for $229

Waterbound1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Waterbound1
tikigod18 wrote:the same TV is at Target, NOT refurbished, for the same price.

@tikigod18: Wrong, it's $299 at Target

need2serf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages need2serf

I bought this TV from WOOT for my bedroom back in August for $240. Great TV, we have had no problems. It was super easy to mount and shipping was great. As for all you 720 haters, there is no way you could tell the difference between 720 and 1080 with the naked eye on a 32in TV.
We also bought the 42in Phillips 1080p about 2 years ago from WOOT for the living room, and it's been a great TV as well.
WAY TO GO WOOT!

nairb101

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nairb101

Got this set about 6 months ago, a Woot refurb. Picture is great, sound has a slight buzz/rattle at some mid frequencies, it has a 5 frequency audio equalizer to minimize it, though.

luvarabhorses

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luvarabhorses

I was strongly considering this tv for my new business. But...this deal at Walmart seems better to me: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-32-X322BV-HD/15739136#Product+Reviews for $209. Am I missing something?

getch22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages getch22

Bought the 19" Phillips when they were on here a couple of years ago. Had a problem - the tv worked fine for a couple of months, then it wouldn't turn on. called support and found out that to make it work, I need to unplug it and leave it unplugged for 15 minutes, then plug it back in, and try again. I exchanged the TV, they sent me another one that was all scuffed up like someone had played shuffleboard with it face down. One month later, the scuffed up tv did the same thing, and wouldn't power on. They refused to refund my money. I worked around it by plugging the tv into a remote-controlled outlet. Not impressed with Phillips tvs after that purchase. Pass.

mona65

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mona65

Wow! "Sceptre", what a name!
Even though this Philips has a only 90 day warranty, I'm going with it.
This particular TV has too many star ratings to turn down.
If you use your VISA card you get an extra year added. That's why it's good to Visa

To me "REFURBISHED" means all, IF any,kinks are taken out. I think "refurbished" is probably labeled items that are returned for ANY reason. I have a "refurbished" LG Flatron monitor that is over 2 yrs old...no problems.

beckib wrote:In doing some reasearch on this, I came across this 32" LED at Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-32-E325BV-HD/17013297

Pretty good reviews, 1 year warranty, and easy return. I'm taking a chance on it.

mona65

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mona65

PLUS +++ It can be used as a monitor!
Gonna' love it.
I believe that can add $$$ to it's value.
TV's this size being able to be a monitor, above all it's other features, cost quite a bit more

chrono32123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrono32123

I have the 22" version of this TV and it was perfect for my dorm setup. This year I bought a new TV to go with my new apartment. It's a perfect starter TV or an extra TV. I didn't like the way it behaved as a computer monitor. I honestly gave it a shot as a screen but the resolution was just too low to replace the two screens I already use. For gaming and everyday TV watching it is perfect though.

sbaker7846

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sbaker7846

Looks like a similar Philips is $299 at BJ's. Of course, then you have to pay shipping and tax, or drive to the store and hope they have it. So Woot would win out easily, even though this is a refurb.

I'm on the fence, as other brands are around $250 new (no refurb) in this screen size.

mrtuba9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrtuba9

Anyone remember the ProScan 32" from a year ago:

My box looked *very* similar...something I remember chuckling about after reading the forums

http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=3758323

60 woots, 102 items, 34x1, 7x2, 18x3 (3x3 ßÕÇ-now retired), 9 unique shirt.woot, 1 sellout.woot <--OUTDATED (except the martini ;')

ScotHibb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ScotHibb

I picked up 2 to use as PC monitors (one to replace my PC 17" and one to replace one of my Mac Pro 24" plasma screens that has some burnt pixels).

Anyone who wants to use these as TV's they are fine as well. Even though 720p isn't true high-def (Xfinity broadcasts in 1080i now), at 32" you wouldn't really tell a difference between 1080i and 720p.

greatcaesarsghost

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greatcaesarsghost

The other day I picked up this 32" 720 hdtv for 250 on amazon last week. Very impressive picture and "decent" sound.
Great reviews to match.

Haier L32D1120 32-Inch 720p LCD HDTV, Black

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055QYJM4/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

chewbacaface

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chewbacaface

Bought one and the picture is awful. Grainy, blurry, and just doesn't even compete with a 10 year old Insignia I have.

lkmaggio

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lkmaggio

I own this TV and love it. I've had no problems with it, the picture is great for both HD and SD. I use it for regular TV through U-Verse, and with HDMI for my Xbox 360, and it works equally well for both.

eddiej1967

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eddiej1967

There's a copy of The Watchmen among those books.

stevek173

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stevek173

I bought one of these 138 years ago in exchange for a very fine indentured servant and it has held up nicely. I'm getting another one at this time for the outhouse.

I like Woot.

iamhappy726

quality posts: 10 Private Messages iamhappy726
stevek173 wrote:I bought one of these 138 years ago in exchange for a very fine indentured servant and it has held up nicely. I'm getting another one at this time for the outhouse.

The outhouse would be a perfect place for testing this tv. If it turns out to be a 'POS', it would be an easy disposal.

TheTexasTwister

quality posts: 11 Private Messages TheTexasTwister

According to the Consumer Reports Buying Guide 2012, Philips' LCD TV's only suffer a 4% repair rate. This is based on reports of 198,000 LCD TV's purchased from 2007 through the first half of 2010 by CU members. I'm assuming that these numbers are for new televisions and not refurbished so make what you want of it.

According to the chart on page 122 of the Consumer Reports digest the repair rates for major brands reported are as follows:

2% repair rate:
Panasonic
Sanyo
Sylvania

3% repair rate:
Sony
JVC
Vizio
Sharp
Emerson
LG

4% repair rate:
Insignia
Toshiba
Magnavox
Philips
ViewSonic
Samsung

8% repair rate:
Westinghouse

10% repair rate:
Polaroid

12% repair rate:
Mitsubishi

McHaggis

quality posts: 2 Private Messages McHaggis

I picked up one of these refurbs almost a year ago. It's been great. The speakers aren't amazing, but we got a 2-piece sound bar with a wireless woofer for cheap and it's been all smiles ever since! 32" is a great size for a smaller room. Good picture, simple menu. A steal.

gregbrendel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gregbrendel

Welp, count me in for one... I've heard mixed things about Philips refurbs in the past and obviously through the comments here. I decided to take the plunge anyway.

Happy Wooting!

“The internet is a great way to get on the net.” -- Bob Dole

brianchon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brianchon

As a player of video games, I'm a little worried about the 8ms response time. What effect will this have on the image displayed?

Goosedude

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Goosedude
mhendrix wrote:They make very bad quality TV's:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_electronics/philips.html

Expect this tv to work 3 years or less!!!

I have purchased 3 Refurbed Philips HDTVs over the course of the last 12 years....a 30" (720p), 32" (1080i), and 47" (1080P).

All have performed exceedingly well for the price and once calibrated properly provided excellent picture to this day.

The 32" I refuse to part with as it is a rarity in HDTVs in that it has PIP/POP and a CableCard Slot.....which allows me to watch 2 HD Sources side-by-side.

-------------
WOOT! WOOOOT!!

Goosedude

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Goosedude
brianchon wrote:As a player of video games, I'm a little worried about the 8ms response time. What effect will this have on the image displayed?

You will not notice any difference.

-------------
WOOT! WOOOOT!!

dam88dam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dam88dam

bought a refurb Phillips from woot - lasted less than one year and is dead.

roflcopterpilotlol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roflcopterpilotlol
brianchon wrote:As a player of video games, I'm a little worried about the 8ms response time. What effect will this have on the image displayed?

Literally unnoticable.

thirdproject

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thirdproject

Bought this TV form woot this summer, it has given me no problems with picture quality that I can think of. Only complaints are that composite and component share an audio in, and switching between HDMI inputs can sometimes take 8-10 seconds, leaving you staring at blackness wondering if its still working. Starts up in <5 seconds and gets plenty loud. Comb filter makes watching SD cartoons smoother than much, much more expensive TVs I've seen.

robertburton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robertburton
tsaipac wrote:Brand new is $305 on Amazon
You can get other brand of 32" for about $250...

Guess its a good deal all the same looking at the shipping...

dragonchilde

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dragonchilde

I have almost this exact TV, from a few years back. We picked it up as a clearance display model for about this price (when they were quite a bit more.) It's served us very well over the years... I've had no complaints, especially given that this is an open box model that had been running on the shelf for a few months.

Four years later, and it's still going strong.

gypsy1009

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gypsy1009

I wooted one previously. It is PERFECT. Mounted it to the ceiling, no more crooked necks!

andyharp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andyharp

Rumor has it if you make a first post you get a woot coupon. This T.V. makes my 7th woot purchase.

swai

quality posts: 1 Private Messages swai

This might be my second Phillips... This time HD!