WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

While my two compatriots were busy conducting a cool interview with one of the guys from Makerbot I figured I should try to find something worth snapping a few photos. I puttered around the exhibits looking for something I could mock sarcastically when suddenly, I hit the jackpot:

E-Paper Printing!

E Paper Printing

"This'll be perfect," I thought to myself, "What a ridiculous idea! Who needs to print on e-paper?! I'll have a dozen jokes about what a silly, ridiculous-"

"Can I answer any questions for you?" A sharp-looking man with close-cropped white hair, a neat mustache, and a posh English accent materialized in front of me, seemingly judging my existence in his display booth. Nice try, buddy; you may be suave, sophisticated, and obviously of much higher social status than me, but YOU'RE the one repping this silly product. I moved in for the comedic kill.

"Yeah, uh, what is the point of E-paper printing?"

"Try to sign an electronic document," he launched into an obviously-well-rehearsed speech.

"Well, I can. If it's a PDF and I'm using Adobe, I can add my electronic signature."

"Rrrright, now try and make changes to that document."

"Well, I can-"

"Now try and share that document with everyone in your office without using a single sheet of paper." I was pretty sure I could still do that without an E-paper printer, but his confidence was unnerving. I was thrown off. I sat there as he walked me through the tablet, the stylus, and the fact that this would help reduce paper usage in businesses almost completely. Suddenly, I was sold. This WOULD reduce paper waste! I began nodding. Here we were, serious businessmen at a trade show, exchanging information like real professionals.

"Heeeeeeey, I like your sticker!" The Englishman's colleague, a fun-looking  Eastern European fella, flashed me a huge, filthy grin and a double-barreled thumbs up. I was as confused as the suave Englishman until his pal pointed at my crotch.

E Paper
This guy.

That's when I remembered that at some point, Jason had demoed some random massage equipment and they had heart-shaped stickers that said "I got rubbed at (whatever the name of that massage company is)!" I had swiped a sheet of them and affixed one to the front of my jeans hours ago as a goof, and since I have the attention span of a fruit fly I quickly forgot and had marched around the convention center all day with it there.

And now here I was, in the middle of a quasi-interview with a man in a suit talking about an interesting product, with a heart-shaped sticker over my genitals.

"Uh, I don't know how that got there," I stammered.

"Really? Someone touched your junk and you didn't notice?"

"I work with some pranksters. Do you guys have a card or some literature or something?" I was desperate for an out.

"No," the Brit replied icily, "you know, that would be wasting paper."

"Oh, well we DO waste paper, so here's my card-"

"I won't need it. Here's a flash drive. Go on."

I slunk back to meet up with my coworkers.

Of course, we did actually COVER some of the convention as well. Check out the rest of our CES Coverage!

kalilynn19

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kalilynn19

I want some e-paper and a sticker!

infallible

quality posts: 7 Private Messages infallible

Clearly, in the European version of Happy Days (still on the air, by the way), Fonzie (Or "Fyonza" as he's known there) settled down in to a life of sales.

19 www.Woots / 1 tech.Woot / 1 wine.Woots / 13 shirt.Woots / 6 sellout.Woots

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

I'm still not really clear on what e-paper printing is.

theracoon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theracoon

Can I get a sticker printed on e-paper?

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
tgentry wrote:I'm still not really clear on what e-paper printing is.

Me either, but I have a flash drive with all the info we'll need on it.

bsmith1

quality posts: 111 Private Messages bsmith1
theracoon wrote:Can I get a sticker printed on e-paper?

Simple. Just duct tape a tablet to the front of your pants! You could have a whole slideshow of stickers...or even a video! You'd get compliments for sure!

A better question is; Does e-paper allow for scratch 'n' sniff stickers?