WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

In this edition of Real Actual Field Tests, we try out the TopChips microwave potato-chip manufacturer. Can we really make potato chips in our microwave with this thing? And if so, as a follow-up question, can we make chips that look like great men from American History?

Discover the answers to these intriguing questions -- and see the hilarious new configuration of Sean's facial hair -- in this week's Real Actual Field Test!

Quality Posts

• (8:05 AM, 2/2/2012) yuppicide has got the goods on at-home chip-making

BabyBear

quality posts: 18 Private Messages BabyBear

Hmm, microwave potato chips.. Right up there with microwave Bacon... Hmmmm, Wait... Could that be one of dem that der Million Dollar Woot idea's? Bacon-tater chips from your microwave? On stackable vented trays no less!

Maybe, sprinkle on a bit of sour cream/chive seasoning? Maybe? Maybe...

powerpiglet

quality posts: 6 Private Messages powerpiglet

That Chester A. Arthur chip looks a lot like Darth Vader to me.

k3lit0

quality posts: 2 Private Messages k3lit0

This video did nothing to help sell this thing.

However.. If the price is good I might pick it up just for the slicer.

bkd69

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bkd69
k3lit0 wrote:This video did nothing to help sell this thing.

Dr. Oz featured it on his show last Friday at under $30, so it'll probably hit around $15-20. Thinkin' about it.

Your Woot Is Not My Woot, But Your Woot Is OK.

z0otsuiter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages z0otsuiter

There is a lot of facial hair on the woot team, isn't there? In no way does this surprise me, but I thought I would point it out.

ertolsma

quality posts: 13 Private Messages ertolsma
k3lit0 wrote:This video did nothing to help sell this thing.

Why not just buy a mandolin?

kiwijaws

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kiwijaws

well price is $20 for slicer and 1 tray and $25 for 2 tray so 45 for the set so I'd guess no less than $30
one tray and mandolin set
http://www.shopmastrad.com/TopChips_Chips_Maker_with_Mandolin_Set_Charcoal_p/a64601.htm/
Two trays set
http://www.shopmastrad.com/TopChips_Chips_Maker_Charcoal_Set_of_2_p/a64501.htm/

dave bug

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dave bug
powerpiglet wrote:That Chester A. Arthur chip looks a lot like Darth Vader to me.

I thought the same. And then I thought about how the pre-cooked version maybe looked a bit like Hayden Christensen, and the cooking method was not unlike Anakin's self-cooking method.

And then I thought about a retelling of the entire saga, through various vegetables and their cooking methods.

But in no way did I spend a full day thinking about this, neglecting my household errands.

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

dave bug wrote:then I thought about a retelling of the entire saga, through various vegetables and their cooking methods

It might conflict with your vision, but I'm picturing a cocky banana being frozen in carbonite here

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 119 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

Slydon wrote:It might conflict with your vision, but I'm picturing a cocky banana being frozen in carbonite here

Wait, can you make banana chips with this thing!?

jsoko

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jsoko
agingdragqueen wrote:Wait, can you make banana chips with this thing!?

banana chips sound really good right now!

I might bite, if the price is under $20.

cengland0

quality posts: 11 Private Messages cengland0

It said that Richard Dawson is the host of Family Feud. Actually, he used to be until June 14, 1985 when the show was originally canceled. When it came back on the air in 1988, he was replaced by Ray Combs.

Dawson then made a comeback from 1994-1995 and then retired permanently. He was replaced by Louie Anderson (1999 - 2002)

Then Richard Karn (2002 - 2006)

Now Steve Harvey is host.

maeder

quality posts: 9 Private Messages maeder
kiwijaws wrote:well price is $20 for slicer and 1 tray and $25 for 2 tray so 45 for the set so I'd guess no less than $30
one tray and mandolin set
http://www.shopmastrad.com/TopChips_Chips_Maker_with_Mandolin_Set_Charcoal_p/a64601.htm/
Two trays set
http://www.shopmastrad.com/TopChips_Chips_Maker_Charcoal_Set_of_2_p/a64501.htm/

Your links have a trailing / that ought to go!
so: one tray and mandolin set | Two trays set

matthew

quality posts: 20 Private Messages matthew
cengland0 wrote:It said that Richard Dawson is the host of Family Feud.

Steve Harvey is the host of Family Feud the way Jake Lloyd is the actor who plays Darth Vader. #DAWSON4EVA

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
z0otsuiter wrote:There is a lot of facial hair on the woot team, isn't there? In no way does this surprise me, but I thought I would point it out.

It is said that when our beards are trimmed, we lose our snarky copywriting powers.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Y'know, I thought when I first saw this, I don't have that facial hair, and boy do they look geeky. The next thing crossing my mind was, even without facial hair, I look just as geeky as they do.

Oh.

mkentosh

quality posts: 309 Private Messages mkentosh

that chip looked more like Darth Vader

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
mkentosh wrote:that chip looked more like Darth Vader

a long time ago in a universe very similar to yours...

powerpiglet wrote:That Chester A. Arthur chip looks a lot like Darth Vader to me.

actually, to be specific, with the salt, it looks like Vader on Hoth. you know, with all the snow?

coolbiker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages coolbiker

So maybe I have to watch the video in to know but when is this chip maker coming up?? I kinda assumed at this point it was somewhere I didn't look and this had passed.

edit

Sigh, Saturday is way to far to taunt.

yuppicide

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yuppicide

I owned one of those microwave potato chip makers you see from the 90's. I recently asked for one of these as a gift.

Are they as good as real potato chips? Hell no!

Is this machine better than something like the one I used to have? I think so.

The one I used to have looked like this:

http://www.amazon.com/MAGIC-MICROWAVE-CHIP-MAKER-ACCESSORIES/dp/B004S780GW

Just a hunk o plastic you stand up slices of potato. The nice thing about that is you can put a lot more slices on.

The Top Chip you lay the chips flat and it has a surface on it that makes it kind of like one of those Hot Pocket sleeve things. Crisps up better.

The chips take me a little longer than what the book specifies.. maybe 10 or 12 seconds longer, I forget exactly. But if you're not careful and you go too long they can burn easy.

The trays will hold 5 or 6 chips, so you're going to have to use the microwave a lot to make even a bag of chips. Be careful in the summer months.. one time I used the microwave so much it actually needed to cool down! It shut itself off!

The mandolin is tiny, so it won't fit a full potato size most of the time. I had to hack a tiny piece off.

The best potato chip maker I ever owned is not manufactured anymore. I got it from West Bend.. it was discontinued and Damark had them for $49. It was an actual fryer. You put a potato in up top, it sliced off 6 slices and dropped them into hot oil below. An arm swung back and held the chips under oil, then swung back and scooped them up and spit them out on a plate. If I could find another unit (brand new) I'd be all over it. Some guy had one on eBay, but he knew the rarity of it and wanted way too much. I'd gladly pay a few hundred bucks to get my hands on one. The only problem is parts were plastic, so one of the pieces on mine eventually broke. I actually did get one on eBay from some guy once, advertised as new in the box. When it arrived it was covered in some sort of animal hair coated with a generous amount of grease, it came to be in a generic brown box which I know is not the original box. He would not accept returns.

marshalldf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marshalldf

After this video... why would anyone spend money on this? All that time and energy to make 2 dozen crappy chips? Really?