Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

Can I make a confession? I kind of hate Super Bowl commercials. They're a lot like the Super Bowl itself: bloated with hype and usually a letdown. Even the best of them are still, you know, commercials. But there's no denying that Super Bowl commercials are responsible for some of the most enduring (or enduringly awful) artifacts of their time. Can you name the 8 advertisers responsible for the famous and infamous Super Bowl ads seen below? And for the 2-point conversion, can you name the year each aired?

Answers can be found by clicking here. Please post your answers, or arguments, below! But know this: the Trivial Eye is presented for public amusement and no prizes are offered other than that familiar feeling of aggravation that so much of your mind is occupied by useless trivia.

hcsencsi

quality posts: 14 Private Messages hcsencsi

It would be interesting to explore commercials that were memorable for companies that are no longer in business.

ps. #2 was in 2002

Booger Face

mndvs737

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mndvs737

1. Pets.com
2. Anheuser-Busch / Budweiser
3. Apple
4. Can't remember the brand, but wasn't this the pantyhose commercial Joe Namath did?
5. Nike
6. Mastercard
7. MasterLock
8. Anheuser-Bush / Bud / Bud Light

saltone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages saltone

Don't post your answers here. they are in the link. (and you missed a couple)

"What the hell are we doing fighting government, let's become government and we can then take whatever we want!".
Al Capone

tomprodehl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomprodehl

Isn't this just another pseudo-snobbery in the same vein that if something is popular well then it must just be trash?

Assoctw

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Assoctw

My favorites were for EDS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_MaJDK3VNE), FusionOne (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PpDjHUfP4), and Outpost.com (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm9ECZtv2ps).

Jason Toon

tomprodehl wrote:Isn't this just another pseudo-snobbery in the same vein that if something is popular well then it must just be trash?

No, it's actual snobbery where if something is stupid, then it must be stupid.

I didn't say I hated all of the ads shown above. But c'mon, millions of people waiting anxiously for the newest 30-second videofart from GoDaddy or whatever? Sad.

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
tomprodehl wrote:Isn't this just another pseudo-snobbery in the same vein that if something is popular well then it must just be trash?

If that's the case, I find you extremely popular.

mndvs737

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mndvs737
saltone wrote:Don't post your answers here. they are in the link. (and you missed a couple)

Actually, I seem to recall seeing several people post their answers in previous threads of this nature - and post them without looking at the answers. Kind of a way to have fun, if that's still allowed on teh interweb forums.

Also, I think the writer of the original post said something like "Post your answers here"....

Jason Toon

mndvs737 wrote:Actually, I seem to recall seeing several people post their answers in previous threads of this nature - and post them without looking at the answers. Kind of a way to have fun, if that's still allowed on teh interweb forums.

Also, I think the writer of the original post said something like "Post your answers here"....

Yeah, totally. Discussing the answers is part of the idea here. Feel free.

jgribb1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgribb1

Was Masterlock just going public with its fight against Hollywood directors who have ingrained the public that any lock can be shot, whacked, and kicked open with any force greater than a mole sneeze? Good topic and one I can sit out as thankfully I have worked through the past 6 "big games".

I want my Baby Back ribs!!!!!

sdkammer

quality posts: 30 Private Messages sdkammer

1 Pets.com (funny!)
2 Budweiser
3 Apple (birth of the big SB commercials)
4 Shaving cream...Barbosol I think?
5 McDonald's (one of the best ever!)
6 I have no idea...
7 Master Lock
8 Bud Bowl (worst thing ever...and they did it for years!

That's from memory...no Google here so if I got one wrong...go suck it!

Anyway...I'm feeling my life is a little worthless knowing that I knew 7 of 8 without looking...searching for meaning now...

motospyder

quality posts: 16 Private Messages motospyder
sdkammer wrote:1 Pets.com (funny!)
2 Budweiser
3 Apple (birth of the big SB commercials)
4 Shaving cream...Barbosol I think?
5 McDonald's (one of the best ever!)
6 I have no idea...
7 Master Lock
8 Bud Bowl (worst thing ever...and they did it for years!

That's from memory...no Google here so if I got one wrong...go suck it!

Anyway...I'm feeling my life is a little worthless knowing that I knew 7 of 8 without looking...searching for meaning now...

Good job!!
Is #4 a Noxema ad, where the Swedish chick says "take it off, take it all off" and Broadway Joe pretends to blush?

tomprodehl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomprodehl
Jason Toon wrote:No, it's actual snobbery where if something is stupid, then it must be stupid.

I didn't say I hated all of the ads shown above. But c'mon, millions of people waiting anxiously for the newest 30-second videofart from GoDaddy or whatever? Sad.

Isn't promoting memorable commercials while protesting that they are awful strike you as disingenuous?

Olphart

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Olphart

While a few of those ads achieved a near iconic stsus, my favorites are still the bud frogs. The E*Trade baby was funny at first, but now he's a bit creepy and with them being on the fourth or fifth kid it's getting a little old as well.

sparsons

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sparsons

My all time fave was Cat Herding. No idea who the advertiser was.

bsmith1

quality posts: 111 Private Messages bsmith1

You mean like the opposite of why hipsters drink PBR? Are you callin' Toon a hipster?

Also, isn't it pseudo-snobbery to use terms like "pseudo-snobbery" and "same vein" in an online post? Pinkies up!

matthew

quality posts: 20 Private Messages matthew

*Two* Bud spots made the cut? HOMETOWN BIAS

pmillsrulz

quality posts: 6 Private Messages pmillsrulz

The one thing that ran through my mind when I watched the Masterlock commercial was if the key would still work to open it. Because yeah, you can shoot it with a high-powered rifle and it won't open, but now you can't get your own valuables out either. So then you're the guy with the bolt cutters.

Jason Toon

matthew wrote:*Two* Bud spots made the cut? HOMETOWN BIAS

Why, whatever do you mean? I've never even been to Leuven, Belgium.

Jason Toon

tomprodehl wrote:Isn't promoting memorable commercials while protesting that they are awful strike you as disingenuous?

Not really. If this quiz was titled Famous Serial Killers, it wouldn't mean I was endorsing serial killing.

superbowl344

quality posts: 0 Private Messages superbowl344

Nice Trival eye super bowl commercials for more vist http://www.superbowl-commercials.tv/