WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Does sound matter to your entertainment experience?
  • 20.4% - Yes. It’s the most important thing when I watch a movie or television. 250
  • 45.3% - Well, it’s important, but I’d rather the visuals be the primary concern. 554
  • 14.3% - I don’t care about either as long as the story and dialogue win me over. 175
  • 6.6% - I mostly just have things on in the background so I don’t usually care too much. 81
  • 7.4% - Sound-based entertainment? Ha! Just hand me a book and my brain will do the rest. 90
  • 6% - Books? I sit in a dark, silent room imagining things. That’s the only TRUE form of entertainment. 74
1224 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

connorbush

quality posts: 2 Private Messages connorbush

Radio is king. The Jack Benny Program all day every day.

trixierix

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trixierix
connorbush wrote:Radio is king. The Jack Benny Program all day every day.

Radio still exists? Who knew! I can't be bothered with anything that has commercials. Heck, I can't even watch TV in real time.

acewingman

quality posts: 6 Private Messages acewingman

Shocked to see the result of this poll. Visuals are important but I have seen movies in two different theaters which have only one difference, the sound system. The sound is what made the movie better, much better. This is probably one reason why drive in theaters have pretty much disappeared because the movie just isn't the same when the sound sucks.

mdesmet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdesmet
acewingman wrote:Shocked to see the result of this poll. Visuals are important but I have seen movies in two different theaters which have only one difference, the sound system. The sound is what made the movie better, much better. This is probably one reason why drive in theaters have pretty much disappeared because the movie just isn't the same when the sound sucks.

My experience also. "Aliens", when they cut open the escape pod and the solid metal crashes to the deck? Bad sound = Styrofoam block, good sound = solid steel.

Samstag

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Samstag

Some of my favorite movies are really terrible films with great soundtracks.

note2001

quality posts: 27 Private Messages note2001

Unless I go blind or deaf, both sound and visuals need to be of equal good quality (or better!)

Were I to go blind I'd want the sound to be premium. Same goes for deaf, I'd want the visual component to be the best it can be.

josephraa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages josephraa

Hmm, I just spent over $1000 on a new set of headphones, a new DAC, and a new amp . . . I'd say sound matters to me.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar

I sometimes watch things that are available in HD in SD, because nobody looks good when you can see every pore on their skin. I use the speakers built in to my monitor. Clearly A/V quality isn't the most important thing for me.

IRL old wrinkly faces don't bother me, but when faces are 90% of my field of vision the wrinkles really start to bother me.

Still single, can't imagine why.

bogus

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bogus

I like good sound, but like a lot of us I live in an apartment so really need to stick to headphones lest the neighbors retaliate (its bad enough that I have to hear my upstairs neighbor shuffling around at 3am...). I use a Sony MDR-V6 set, it's pretty good and under a hundred bucks.