WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Over the weekend Scott visited the 2012 Toy Fair in New York City. This week he's telling you all about it. You can still find part one right here but head inside for part two, where you'll see things like this:

Best Horrible Pun

low form of humor play visions

Play Visions took home the pun crown with their "Parrot Trooper" parachute toy. Simple, effective, and easy to understand even without the box. It doesn't get more "gift from your crazy uncle" than that.

We've got more of the rest of the award winners inside. Be sure to keep on eye here and the other on our kids.woot blog to enjoy it all!

Most Well-Meaning Yet Scary Toy

eeek

Again the award goes to Play Visions! The Annoying Orange series brings the terror of Photoshop into the third dimension, letting you keep scary fruit on your person at all time… if you DARE.

Best Vegan Alternative

interesting lunch

Hape's toy food isn't just hot dogs and chicken legs. They've got a full line of veggie friendly wooden toys, including two different ways to pretend to eat a salad. No more playing "visit to the heart disease clinic" for your kids!

Best Bribe

yay cupcakes

Q-BA-Maze had this nicely labeled box of free cupcakes to attract visitors, and guess what? It worked! That's why I stopped to look at their giant marble maze setup.

zoom goes the qba maze

Probably only a few people could afford to built maze that reaches the ceiling, but these snap-together trays let a kid make a maze of any shape and size. It was pretty hypnotic watching the ball make its way down to the bottom. Sort of an IRL version of this.

Best Waste Of Time

thunder god

Tech Tools offers this fun little air guitar tool with an infrared sensor to detect hand motions when you strum. You can't play every possible chord, but neither can most rock stars, right? And anyway, who'd air guitars to Wes Montgomery? Stick to power chords and you'll be juuuust fine.

Best 70s Lookin' Future

playmobil elder

Playmobil is going back into space this year, and look at that lovely future retro. This old man working in his PL-NT LAB has all the beauty of Logan's Run and Star Trek with none of the scary apocalypse-dark from the 80s and 90s. Plus check out his sweet future beard. Very Lorne Greene, in my opinion.

Mostly Likely To Get You Stopped At The Airport

executive

This "Executive Elite Blaster" from The Marshmallow Fun Company comes in a nice case for ease of transport. It's also a serious, serious marshmallow launcher. I tested it out, and it shot a marshmallow about thirty feet in the air and left a little white mark on the high Javits Center ceiling. Probably there's insurance to cover that, but I'll never know because I just ran and hid.

Best Robot Prototype

some pig tosy

Tosy was showing off their adorable dancing robots and their high flying frisbee beasts, but this prototype artist-bot was something special. Hook him up to a computer and he can draw your file of choice! I was told future versions will give this dude camera eyes so he can draw whatever he sees. We're not talking Picasso here, but the little pegasus he made me was certainly the best robot drawing I've ever seen.

Best Overheard Upselling Attempt

"You're right, nothing beats Batman… except for our Series Two Armored Batman!"

Best Value

hape dogs

Buying these two wooden hot dogs in the Hape booth would actually have been actually cheaper than buying two hot dogs at the in-fair concession stand. Possibly they tasted better too, I didn't really get a chance to sample them because they asked me to leave once I put one in my mouth.

We've still got a little bit more Toy Fair 2012 coverage later this week. Let us know what you think in the comments below!

Quality Posts

ElGuappo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ElGuappo

Hahaha!

I really love the exec mallow blaster, but the batman quote was excellent!

zaidwise

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zaidwise

The world could be improved by more marshmellow guns.

friedbanana

quality posts: 3 Private Messages friedbanana

why is there guac. between the weiners and their buns?

dhpersonal

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dhpersonal
friedbanana wrote:why is there guac. between the weiners and their buns?

Maybe that's supposed to be relish?

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

dhpersonal wrote:Maybe that's supposed to be relish?

Yeah, that might be the flash working poorly with the hall's lights, because it was relish colored in person.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

theracoon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theracoon

How many people think "Parrot Trooper" is the latest Engrish faux pas?

pendantiff59

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pendantiff59

Fantastic article, read both parts. My wife is the Early Childhood Department Chair at a local Technical College, and posted Scott's article in the school. Keep up the good work.

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

pendantiff59 wrote:Fantastic article, read both parts. My wife is the Early Childhood Department Chair at a local Technical College, and posted Scott's article in the school. Keep up the good work.

Thank you very much!

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.