WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Which’s scarier: snakes, sharks, or clowns?
  • 18.7% - Snakes 336
  • 17.9% - Sharks 321
  • 22.8% - Clowns 409
  • 4.7% - I am terrified by all of these things. 84
  • 17.7% - Y’all are wimps. None of this stuff is scary. 318
  • 18.3% - Public speaking 329
1797 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

brumagem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brumagem

Dagnabbit, I voted for "Snakes" before I saw the "Public Speaking" option.

Tamshin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Tamshin

My grandparents home was in the woods. The stair risers on the bottom 6 steps to the basement had ventilation holes in them.

I was told that these were snake holes. I was 6. I ALWAYS jumped past the last 6 steps.

CaptRobThePirate

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CaptRobThePirate

I have a pet snake! It's really awesome!

~CaptRob
http://www.youtube.com/procrastinationpics

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

Clowns are just some dork in a costume. Get over it people.

Public speaking can be pretty scary, but I've done it enough to where it's not gut-wretchingly terrible anymore.

I hate snakes. But 99% of the time they're going to run away from you. The remainder of the time, you could just back away from them. Add in the fact that a majority of snakes are non-poisonous and there's no way they're taking the top scary spot.

I've also done enough diving to know that your lonely simple reef shark is going to swim away from you as well. But if you get several large sharks together, look out. They'll come after you in a heartbeat. They're 100X faster than us in the water and one bite causes serious, often fatal, injury. Go chum up some shark infested waters and you tell me if you'll even stick your big toe in without a cage.

samsmom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages samsmom
firebirdude wrote:Clowns are just some dork in a costume. Get over it people.

That may be, but only a wacko would do it and crazy people scare me more than animals or any of the other choices, so I'm with clowns!

I've held a boa constrictor, that was cool! And like people have said, snakes and sharks are more likely to go the other way. Most shark attacks are attributed to them mistaking the victim for their normal food source.

Public speaking... I understand the fear, but the worst you can do is embarrass yourself, and people will eventually forget that.

Clowns... definitely clowns!!!

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

Ahem... spiders. Arachnids in general. In fact, anything with more than six legs is not to be trusted under any circumstances. Crustaceans are only acceptable when properly cooked.

I have no idea how you missed spiders. [shudder]

josephraa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages josephraa
RWoodward wrote:Ahem... spiders. Arachnids in general. In fact, anything with more than six legs is not to be trusted under any circumstances. Crustaceans are only acceptable when properly cooked.

THIS!

jimjenkins5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimjenkins5
RWoodward wrote:Ahem... spiders. Arachnids in general. In fact, anything with more than six legs is not to be trusted under any circumstances. Crustaceans are only acceptable when properly cooked.

+1...million

I can't believe this wasn't on the list. You dropped the ball Woot!

motospyder

quality posts: 16 Private Messages motospyder

Riding in my boat from Oxnard, CA, to Anacapa Island to do some fishing, I saw hundreds of dorsal fin (sharks). The waters off Southern California are thick with sharks, but the Great Whites hang out nearer to San Francisco (Monterey Bay). They will wreck your afternoon.
However fast and toothy they are, they are not nearly as frightening as snakes.
Here in the desert there are lots of snakes, none of them are cute or awesome. The fear is way to primal.
If I never saw another snake it would be too soon.

phoenixgirrl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages phoenixgirrl

Mice.

why aren't mice a choice? or rats? *shudder*

I'm happy with snakes. Probably because they eat mice.

MathUhhhSaurus

quality posts: 59 Private Messages MathUhhhSaurus

Public speaking is definitely the worst thing in the world for an introvert like me.

Examine Bindle of Carrots.
What Bindle of Carrots?

minion1021

quality posts: 0 Private Messages minion1021

In the woods I would not fear a snake. I don't fear clowns at all, and public speaking doesn't bother me the slightest...

But if I was in the water and I saw a shark... OH HELL NO! I would be running on water. If I wasn't in the water, then nothing to fear.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

I liked clowns as a kid.

The first time I saw a snake in the wild, I tried to catch it.

I was a tour guide in Manhattan for years.

I'm a bad swimmer and vacation on Martha's Vineyard, so I guess I'm more afraid of sharks.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

theracoon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theracoon

But not ALL spiders...

Only brown recluse spiders worry me.

O.O

nconnelly

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nconnelly

*sigh* this whole generation was destroyed on circus acts by the movie 'It', weren't we?

Sharks are awesome.

SO are snakes.

nconnelly

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nconnelly
phoenixgirrl wrote:Mice.

why aren't mice a choice? or rats? *shudder*

I'm happy with snakes. Probably because they eat mice.

Hey, Indiana Jones's badass father was even scared of rats--mice/rats are pretty darned gross.

motospyder

Oh, yeah, what about bears?
Bears will knock you around, eat you and then take a nap.

And I like clowns. I am hung up on a clown from the 60s, man.

jimtra122697

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimtra122697

Ever read It by Steven King. Clowns are scary!!

ThatPoshGirl

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ThatPoshGirl

Spiders, and all things spidery. Crab, jellyfish, those robots that tried to kill Tom Selleck in that movie, etc.

tygerlili

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tygerlili

Animals are just doing their thing - but clowns are unnatural. Wasn't geoffrey Darma a Kiddie clown in his spare time?. Clowns are aliens in disguise - a really crappy disguise. Probably really crappy B Movie aliens too!

as for snake sharks and spiders .... I live in Australia .... Ours are pretty deadly - but hey WE ARE PROUD of that fact! Rock 'n Roll on Funnel Webs

motospyder

tygerlili wrote:Animals are just doing their thing - but clowns are unnatural. Wasn't geoffrey Darma a Kiddie clown in his spare time?. Clowns are aliens in disguise - a really crappy disguise. Probably really crappy B Movie aliens too!

as for snake sharks and spiders .... I live in Australia .... Ours are pretty deadly - but hey WE ARE PROUD of that fact! Rock 'n Roll on Funnel Webs

This is why we loved watching Steve Irwin on the TV: because 7 of the world's 10 deadliest snakes are in Australia. Not to mention a Barrier Reef full of Great Whites and sea snakes, spiders that hunt birds, etc. He never had to leave home.

Sorry about Steve, mate. Sorely missed.