LastApeMan

quality posts: 18 Private Messages LastApeMan

As long as these are present, Tesla's dream will never be realized.

Imagine owning an electric car and the power for it comes from everywhere you drive for free.

and your phone never runs down. LOL

You never have to stop at a gas station again, unless you run out of slim jims.

What Lies Behind Us and Lies Before Us are Small Matters Compared to What Lies Right to Our Faces.

skou

quality posts: 20 Private Messages skou

■Input Voltage: 5V/1A
■Output: 5V/500mA
■Battery: 3.7V/1150mAh Lithium-Ion
(Copied from the listing.)

OK, just how do you get 5 volts out of a 3.7 volt battery?

I'm confused. Does this have an DC to AC converter, a transformer, and an AC to DC converter in that tiny box? And, what are the losses?

steve

docflash

quality posts: 16 Private Messages docflash
haku wrote:what happens to a person that ate a battery ?

will it cause gas ??

eating a battery can be fatal. it may cause intestinal perforation and peritonitis, followed by death.

it's a revolting way to die. trust me: you won't get a charge out of it. it can be a terminal event, which I would call a negative, not a positive experience.

but if you're silly enough to try it, well, more power to you.

so to speak.

as it were.

ahem.

"i don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top." --anon
more quotes.

editorkid

quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid

I bought a bunch of these last time I saw them, and they're really great. I can't say how long it takes for them to lose their charge, but they've held the charge at three bars for months. And I can't speak to iOS devices, but they take my G2 from gasping for ions to fully charged. Go for these before they sell out.

edit: Whoops -- I didn't realize this was a smaller version of the battery. My comments about capacity don't count, I guess, but nonetheless I'm very happy with the ones I bought before and would jump on these if I didn't have the previous purchase.

ssewarrior

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ssewarrior

Great backup juice device! Only complaint I have is that you have to carry a cable in order to recharge the device itself.

Not a big deal if you have a bag or purse etc. to carry it in, but not as nice if you just wanna throw it in your pocket.

Newer versions of it have a "flip out" USB for easier carrying.

clarkbhm

quality posts: 19 Private Messages clarkbhm

How timely. I had been looking at a PowerGen External Battery Pack 5200mAh.

Obviously the PowerGen has a greater storage capacity, but at Woot's price, I could get three duracells instead.

Any suggestions?

zigzagjoe

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zigzagjoe
skou wrote:■Input Voltage: 5V/1A
■Output: 5V/500mA
■Battery: 3.7V/1150mAh Lithium-Ion
(Copied from the listing.)

OK, just how do you get 5 volts out of a 3.7 volt battery?

I'm confused. Does this have an DC to AC converter, a transformer, and an AC to DC converter in that tiny box? And, what are the losses?

steve

It has what is called a boost(or step up) converter. Basically a switched mode power supply; at very least they have a coil, diode, transistor, and some decent caps for output filtering, as well as mechanism to switch the transistor. Typically, an IC is used for small applications like this. Efficiency varies from about 60% to 90%, with 80% being a fairly solid average.

Now, that being said, you can't divide that 1150mh by 500ma to get 500ma for 2 hours - step up efficiency loss nevermind the step up itself will see to that. Figure probably one hour of charging from this, at that current.

shortbus2

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shortbus2

Like someone else said, these are great if you know what you are getting. These happen to be quite a bit smaller than the previous ones that have been sold here over the past year. The ones I have now are 1800mAh and are great when I travel. The ones for sale today are just too small for my use and I will wait for another day.

For example, when I sit in an airport between flights and there are no charging stations around, I plug my phone into one of these to charge up. When my HTC Sensation gets down to about 15% battery left, one of these will bring it back to about 75% or so after about 30 minutes. I did use it once on an iPad. I wouldn't say it would really charge one, but it will give up what power it can to the iPad to help increase run time. No different than any other low current charger behaves on an iPad. It will charge, just stupidly slow.

I have used mine to power my Sensation, my BB, an iPad (if you want to call it powered), a Sprint Overdrive, and a Sansa. They will not replace a proper charger, but they will save your booty when you are not able to use a proper charger.

derrek1280

quality posts: 1 Private Messages derrek1280

Good call.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey, join us at around 11pm CST for a round of Woot! Clue! where y'all try to guess the product that's coming up for sale next.

Style is 20 Questions. Ask Yes/No questions and I'll answer.

Here's a lively round from the other night.

INFO: I’ll give a clue at the start of the game and every 15 minutes thereafter. Oh, and my clues? They’ll be pretty obscure so don’t expect this to be easy. The game ends at 11:55pm before RSS feeds and Tweets go out about the sales.

We’ll play this for M-F sales which means late Sunday night for the Monday product through late Thursday night for the Friday product. We will not play on Friday and Saturday nights because heck, too many of you have lives!

So, see ya Sunday night! (No Game Friday or Saturday nights)

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

dynadom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dynadom

1150 mAh is horrible won't even fully charge my phone what a joke not worth 5 dollars. replacement batteries are cheaper. I would buy if it was 7500 mah what a rip off. Damn woot sucks now dude ever since amazon bought it they have crap on here amazon can't sell and really tries to sucker people into buying the overpriced stuff what a rip off

theant

quality posts: 7 Private Messages theant

I am also partly sad. In addition to not being able to charge an iPad, these will aslo not do the trick for my cellphone. I have tried charging it off a .5 amp source before, and as long as it just sits there doing nothing, my phone WILL (slowly oh so slowly) charge up. I actually use a special powered USB hub connected to my computer for the slow charge when I'm not in a hurry, and the wall wart for the fast charge.

An example of .5 amp charging: I used one of these kind of devices connected to my phone while taking a long road trip, and using the phone as my GPS navigator. Without the charger, my battery went down of course. I plugged it into a .5 amp source, and the best I can say is that it stopped losing a charge, but with the GPS on, it never actually gained any battery life back.

summary, great for devices that can charge off of a half amp, sucks for anything that requires more juice. That means, iPads, tablets and some of the higher end phones

chausees

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chausees
StarBob wrote:So... how long does it hold it's charge?

if you read the item description it clearly states 35 hours

zigzagjoe

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zigzagjoe
chausees wrote:if you read the item description it clearly states 35 hours

That is the absolute MAXIMUM amount of time that it can run with the boost converter engaged, powering something, not the time that it will loose its charge in.

He meant how long will one of these hold the charge unmolested, which should be a fairly long time. A few months, with any luck.

mcdull

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcdull

1150mah is kinda weak, you can't fully charge a smartphone as most of them has battery higher capacity than that.
I've got others less han $1 per 100mah, better deal that this.

blueconversechucks

quality posts: 9 Private Messages blueconversechucks
dynadom wrote:1150 mAh is horrible won't even fully charge my phone what a joke not worth 5 dollars. replacement batteries are cheaper. I would buy if it was 7500 mah what a rip off. Damn woot sucks now dude ever since amazon bought it they have crap on here amazon can't sell and really tries to sucker people into buying the overpriced stuff what a rip off

Yeah, I'm with you. I've hardly bought anything off here the past year or so. Stuff just isn't a value anymore.

theant

quality posts: 7 Private Messages theant
zigzagjoe wrote:He meant how long will one of these hold the charge unmolested, which should be a fairly long time. A few months, with any luck.

I would say that depends on storage/enviromental factors... you can store a lithim-ion battery for months to years if properly cared for (lab settings, not stuck in a drawer in the kitchen)

zoomtard

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zoomtard
MichXelle wrote:!!Don't buy it until you read the reviews directly on Duracell!!!!

http://www.duracell.com/en-US/product/instant-usb-charger.jspx

I almost bought 3. I would be choking if I read this after.

I assume you mean the "damaged phone" review. I agree that review is scary, but it's only one person, and who knows their motives...there are 51 5-star votes on Amazon and only 7 1-star, and those 7 only mentioned it not holding a charge (probably just a bad pack) and none mentioned damage.

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Instant-Charger-Lithium-universal/dp/B002FU6KF2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329459964&sr=8-1

I'm willing to risk it...in for 3

maybejet

quality posts: 6 Private Messages maybejet
michaelmidwest wrote:Just a heads up, this will not work with ALL Blackberry phones. I have a Torch 9800, which has a micro USB. So if you have a Blackberry and are wanting to use this, make sure you have a mini USB port.

Wouldn't you just use the USB cable that came with the BB Torch instead of the Duracell cable? I would think it is the same principle as mentioned with the Motorola phones.

thejke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thejke

I am in for one just in case my phone needs a little boost near the end of the day.

JEMiller

quality posts: 2 Private Messages JEMiller

No, it won't fully charge most phones, it'll dump about half or 2/3 of a charge into my HTC Inspire.

Best way to think of these things is as an oh-crap-the-phone's-almost-dead emergency battery. They're compact and easy to stick in pocket or purse.

Comes with mini-USB output cable but micro-USB pigtails readily available, don't remember where I got mine.

BlueEagle23

quality posts: 3 Private Messages BlueEagle23

I don't have this model but I bought the similar Duracell 1800mAh Rechargeable Li-ion Battery Pack – 2 Pack last month and it works well on my Droid X and a friend's Android phone.

Great to have to extend the battery life of your phone while out geocaching/hiking/whatever or when you just don't have time to plug into a wall charger.

ChicagoJack

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ChicagoJack

Wonder if this could be used with a Garmin GPS as backup power supply
Garmin has mini USB charging port.

maybejet

quality posts: 6 Private Messages maybejet
ThunderThighs wrote:Hey, join us at around 11pm CST for a round of Woot! Clue! where y'all try to guess the product that's coming up for sale next.

Style is 20 Questions. Ask Yes/No questions and I'll answer.

Here's a lively round from the other night.

INFO: I’ll give a clue at the start of the game and every 15 minutes thereafter. Oh, and my clues? They’ll be pretty obscure so don’t expect this to be easy. The game ends at 11:55pm before RSS feeds and Tweets go out about the sales.

We’ll play this for M-F sales which means late Sunday night for the Monday product through late Thursday night for the Friday product. We will not play on Friday and Saturday nights because heck, too many of you have lives!

So, see ya Sunday night! (No Game Friday or Saturday nights)

What on earth makes you think I have a life?!?!?!?

burner50

quality posts: 2 Private Messages burner50

I have OEM USB chargers from Motorola and LG sitting here on my desk.

Motorola outputs 800mA.
LG Outputs 700mA.

This will likely trickle charge your phone, or maintain your charge, but don't expect multiple charges for a smartphone.

That said, For <$10.00, I'm getting three!

wilcononomous

quality posts: 20 Private Messages wilcononomous

still on the fence here, to anyone who has used this with their iphone/ipod touch... can you use this like an extended battery (instead of just for charging)? How much extra video time would this give?

zoomtard

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zoomtard
dynadom wrote:1150 mAh is horrible won't even fully charge my phone what a joke not worth 5 dollars. replacement batteries are cheaper. I would buy if it was 7500 mah what a rip off. Damn woot sucks now dude ever since amazon bought it they have crap on here amazon can't sell and really tries to sucker people into buying the overpriced stuff what a rip off

It's not meant to fully charge your phone. Based on Amazon reviews, if you have a good smartphone, expect to go from fully dead to about 50% (if you use the phone while charging) to 75% (if you leave the phone off while it's charging).

This is meant to be an emergency charge, as others have mentioned. Like, you're on the hour+ long train ride home and you forgot to charge at the office before leaving. Or you're out running (one reviewer keeps it rubber banded to their phone for extended runs because it's extremely light).

Some phones don't have replacement batteries (like my Droid 4, or every iPhone). So that option is out for some of us.

And this is not a rip-off, price-wise. Granted I haven't been as pleased with Woot's selection since Amazon took over either. But as far as this being a deal - they are $23 on Amazon, and $10 here. That's a deal, not a rip. Since I have a good use for them with my D4 (until someone on XDA figures out how to slap an extended battery on it), I bought 3

trinic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trinic

Will it charge my roomba?

John1000

quality posts: 19 Private Messages John1000

I picked up 2 of the 1800 mAh versions when Woot offered them last month for $15. They have come in very handy. Not sure about this model, though (1150 mAh vs 1800 mAh), and the model here is more money. The chargers I bought last month have no on/off switch, hold their charge well, and are always ready to use once charged. Just plug in the device to be charged and the charger turns on and turns off when the device is fully charged. There is a battery indicator LED which can be pressed to show the current charge level of the charger which is useful to quickly figure out if it has been used and needs to be recharged or how much juice is left after a device has been charged.

michaelmidwest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michaelmidwest
maybejet wrote:Wouldn't you just use the USB cable that came with the BB Torch instead of the Duracell cable? I would think it is the same principle as mentioned with the Motorola phones.

Doh! Facepalm. You'd think with me working graveyard shifts, that my mind would be @ full steam at this time. Oops. Good call.

BlueEagle23

quality posts: 3 Private Messages BlueEagle23
ChicagoJack wrote:Wonder if this could be used with a Garmin GPS as backup power supply
Garmin has mini USB charging port.

YES! I was skeptical but I just tried it on my Garmin Oregon 450t and it works!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

maybejet wrote:What on earth makes you think I have a life?!?!?!?

Well some of you do because it's dead on Friday and Saturday nights!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

burner50

quality posts: 2 Private Messages burner50

I found a review:

http://anythingbutipod.com/2009/11/duracell-instant-charger-review/

ChefJoAnnaM

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ChefJoAnnaM
StarBob wrote:So... how long does it hold it's charge?

I have three of these. (two of the bigger "old" kind, purchased through woot, and one of the slimmer "new" kind, which I bought at a drugstore for $25)

I keep at least one in my purse all the time. Today I needed it, and it had held its charge for over two weeks. TOTALLY WORTH IT to have an external spare battery at all times. Also it can power anything smallish that can get power through USB. LIke WOOT LIGHTS. Those are at home, tho, and I've not seen how long the lights would run on one of these thingamajigs.

Anyway, If you got more than one, I'd say, keep one on the charger, keep one on your person. I do that with my woot-purchsed bluetooth earpieces, too.

¡ʎɹƃunɥ ʎɹǝʌ 'ʎɹǝʌ ǝɹɐ noʎ :ǝƃɐssǝɯ lɐuıɯılqns

justcco

quality posts: 4 Private Messages justcco
clarkbhm wrote:How timely. I had been looking at a PowerGen External Battery Pack 5200mAh.

Obviously the PowerGen has a greater storage capacity, but at Woot's price, I could get three duracells instead.

Any suggestions?

The PowerGen would seem to be more versatile over the long run, since with a greater power storage capacity and delivery capacity, it would work with newer smartphones and tablets which have greater energy needs than older smartphones.

nucleartwig

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nucleartwig
John1000 wrote:I picked up 2 of the 1800 mAh versions when Woot offered them last month for $15. They have come in very handy. Not sure about this model, though (1150 mAh vs 1800 mAh), and the model here is more money. The chargers I bought last month have no on/off switch, hold their charge well, and are always ready to use once charged. Just plug in the device to be charged and the charger turns on and turns off when the device is fully charged. There is a battery indicator LED which can be pressed to show the current charge level of the charger which is useful to quickly figure out if it has been used and needs to be recharged or how much juice is left after a device has been charged.

I never knew that 1800 mAh battery indicator LED was also a button.

/facepalm

That is great to know.

jamesbottomtooth

quality posts: 41 Private Messages jamesbottomtooth

can i daisy chain them?

pher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pher

In reply to some others who have posted to the contrary, these WILL charge an iPad, albeit very slowly and only with the screen OFF. The iPad requires 10v to charge while being used, but will indeed charge from 5v, provided that it's not being used.

That said, I have two of these that I only use for emergency charging of my phone and for charging ecigs on the go. They're tiny enough to stash in a corner of any bag and hold enough charge to get the phone from 20 to 100%. If you have need of something like this for charging on the go, $10 is a small price to pay for a good, compact, li-ion battery like this.

EDIT: For the record, I don't mean to imply that one of these will fully charge an iPad, but rather it will give you a few more hours of life.

widescreenjohn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages widescreenjohn

What? No one is showing relief that there's not another Android tablet today? Shocking!

Anyway, I guess that 1100mAh is better than nothing if you're in a pinch and need some battery power pronto, but this battery isn't going too last long once it starts to charge the other device. You really might be better off just paying a bit more for a higher capacity battery. You can get batteries with 5x the capacity for 3x more on Amazon right now.

StarBob

quality posts: 14 Private Messages StarBob
theant wrote:I would say that depends on storage/enviromental factors... you can store a lithim-ion battery for months to years if properly cared for (lab settings, not stuck in a drawer in the kitchen)

This is what I meant. I keep my phone charged 99% of the time but if I were to be on a trip or something I'd like to know that the battery I've had sitting in my bag or whatever is ready to go after I charged it six months ago.