misguidedsoul

quality posts: 3 Private Messages misguidedsoul
lukesed wrote:Why does this tablet have hinges?

Good one!

I think tablets process better than this!?!

nuggy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nuggy

If you go to the Sony Style store and look up refurbished notebooks....

You can get an I3 notebook for $30 more or (preferred) I5 notebook for $60 more.....

You have to pay tax in your state....

But free shipping.....

Much better deal.....

and if sign up/qualify for their credit card you get 0% financing for a year.....

Just saying.....

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn

I think we are beginning to see the end of ultra-priced tech lust, except for those who need to impress or need the specs right now for a certain critical purpose. Example: My first "cutting edge" digital camera cost $1,200 and back then it was only 5 MP. How quickly those specs were bested? Really quick. Unless I fall in LOVE with some new higher end $1,200 camera or NEED those particular specs, I'd rather spend $400 a year for a new camera each year for three years, ending up with much improved gear at the end of the $1,200 spent. I just bought a 16 MP compact camera for $54 on sale.

I believe this applies to laptops as well. Spend less for a new laptop, (say, $350) instead of $500 for and old used refurb, and you already have $150 towards the next new one when the time comes.

For more modest use, (email, etc) used "old" tech laptops are dirt cheap.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

vicmacs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vicmacs

Cheap MacBook Looking PC selling for too much when its an old refurb? #FAIL

Jerrycup

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Jerrycup
sdc100 wrote:This is somewhat underpowered and relies on outdated technology, but hey, it's rare to find a Sony for less than $500. Heck, Sony's are often compared to Macs: overpriced but you do get great aesthetics, good hardware, and status with your friends. But seriously, this looks like a very old laptop updated with a BluRay player, HDMI port and Windows 7.

PROS
- It's a Sony
- Can play BluRays
- Has HDMI output

CONS
- Outdated CPU. Current laptops use Intel i processors. At this price, you can get a laptop with an i5. Laptops with an i3 can be found for less than $400.
- Screen is probably very generic. The description only says "Energy-Efficient LCD." WHAT??? Passive LCD screens from the late 1980's can also be described as "Energy-Efficient LCD." Based on that description, I don't expect stellar graphics, despite the reputation of Sony TVs
- Based on the LCD description, my guess is that this is backlit with fluorescent tubes. That makes it less energy efficient and more fragile (since the tubes can crack on impact). Contrast ratio may also be less. If this really does use fluorescent tubes, it's an indicator of how old this laptop is since virtually all current laptops use LEDs. This is especially telling, given that Sony is usually a technology leader meaning that they were among the first to switch over to LEDs.
- Small slow dard drive. 5400rpm is actually normal for laptops, but I've seen 7200rpm drives too (like my HP). On the plus side, a slower drive uses less energy but 320gb is too small. I'd expect at least 500gb.
- THE ONLY MEDIA SLOT IS FOR ITS FAILED MEMORYSTICK!!!! Seriously??? It is arguably the least popular of all flash media, and for good reason. Even Sony gave in many years ago and started supporting SD cards in their devices. MemoryStick is more expensive and more buggy than other formats. MagicGate is marketed as a feature but it's actually copy protection that adds overhead and can cause problems. The exclusive reliance on MemoryStick really indicates how incredible old this model is.
- No USB 3.0 and no eSATA. All the other ports are standard
- No special multimedia features, i.e. remote control, premium speakers, multimedia buttons, etc.
- Chiclets style keyboard may be a problem for some touch typists who prefer full travel keys. Apple tries to market it as a feature but in the early 80's, it was the sign of econonmy models. In fact, the IBM PC Jr ("Peanut") failed mostly because of the chiclets keyboard.,

You sure are an Apple hater. Tell you, my MacBook Air is in terrific hardware, with great design and aesthetics, and it has none of the weakness you lamely bring up.

I agree, $500 is crazy for this outdated refurb, but $1,000 for a brand new MacBook Air leaves me very advanced and reliable machine, with zero regret. Hope you enjoy whatever cheap hardware you use.

sdc100

quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100
cosmictrucker wrote:I personally love Sony laptops for their build and design quality.
This deal has at least two things making it a poor buy, First, it's a refurb unit. Second, the older by today's standard Core 2 processor.

With those two things in mind, I would buy and take the risk of a Woot Refurb for around $300 top.

It's not just the CPU that's outdated, but also the screen (look at the generic description, which can describe ANY LCD screen; and it doesn't seem to use LED backlighting), ports, keyboard, hard drive (too small), etc. It seems as if Sony had a big overstock of these old machines so they upgraded a few components for the purpose of reselling, i.e. BluRay and Windows 7. Actually, these are probably returned defective units rather than an overstock.

sdc100

Burning-Chrome wrote:Can you tell us what the DOW will be at on Dec. 31, 2012?

Flung into space along with rest of civilization if you believe the Mayan calendar....
(actually, the calendar doesn't say any such thing but that's the popular belief)

middley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages middley

that '2' looks an awful lot like a '4'

Lambada = The Forbidden Dance

bro3of4

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bro3of4
sdc100 wrote:Wow, I've never seen another Woot so universally trashed by both owners and non-owners. In fact, there are no positive posts about the product.

Positive post?

Ok, I am positive that this is not a good deal. My 2007 desktop (Athlonx2 64 5000+) has a passmark score just slightly below this (1569 vs. 1515). Granted it is a desktop, but it is also a couple of years older. I also got it for ~$750.

Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.

sdc100

Jerrycup wrote:You sure are an Apple hater. Tell you, my MacBook Air is in terrific hardware, with great design and aesthetics, and it has none of the weakness you lamely bring up.

I agree, $500 is crazy for this outdated refurb, but $1,000 for a brand new MacBook Air leaves me very advanced and reliable machine, with zero regret. Hope you enjoy whatever cheap hardware you use.

You either need to learn to read or new glasses. Take a deep breath and re-read what I wrote. The ONLY reference to Apple/Mac was about the chiclets keyboard and a comparison to Sony:

"Sony's are often compared to Macs: overpriced but you do get good aesthetics, good hardware, and status with your friends."

I then immediately added:

"But seriously, THIS looks like a very old laptop"

The rest of the review was about THIS Sony laptop. So what "weaknesses" did I "lamely" bring up about your Mac? I wrote "good aesthetics, good hardware, and status with your friends" -- which you AGREED with. I also wrote "overpriced" which is widely accepted among computer professionals about both Macs and SOnys. I say that as a former tech computer support person, and current computer buyer for my department.

Your post is more about your own insecurities and need to affirm your choice of a Mac, than about anything I wrote. Your mistake wouldn't be so bad if you hadn't decided to be insulting with "lamely" and "cheap hardware." Think about it.

nuggy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nuggy

100% agree....

The later technology I have posted and priced above....

For a good deal on Woot and "decent" pricing....(not spectacular) should be in the $349 to $389 range....

This is a dump of "old dusty" technology on the "less than knowing" for a $499 price which some people think is a deal.....

Not in this case.......

Just a Sunday....Let's see what we can get away with.....

I see some "Amazon" BS here from Woot....and that is unfortunate.....

administrator1956

quality posts: 1 Private Messages administrator1956
radi0j0hn wrote:I'd rather spend $400 a year for a new camera each year for three years, ending up with much improved gear at the end of the $1,200 spent. I just bought a 16 MP compact camera for $54 on sale.

You're right, so welcome! Glad you joined our consumerism world, following its rules. Enjoy the present: 'til you have chinese human and mineral resources at a minimum price, and you don't think about where all this rapidly growing hardware waste will go, it' fine like this.

Easy to predict that in 25 years we'll have something to regret about this. Oh well it'll be our sons trouble, not ours. Let's enjoy the fun while it lasts

ask me about ebook readers and guitars

redrotors

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redrotors

Wow, I'm typing this on a MSI brand laptop w/same to better specs. that was bought NEW about 2 years ago for $420 inc. tax. It's been a sturdy machine w/no issues even though I've put it through some cringe inducing moments. It's no T series Thinkpad but it sounds like this Sony is no prize re durability.

ccweems

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ccweems

NOTE TO WOOT PURCHASING DEPARTMENT:

Top prices for 2 year old laptops is $350. Check reviews (Amazon is a good start) and if it is less than 4 stars don't buy.

WOOT STRATEGIC OBJECTIVE:

Become a trusted source much like Costco which means that neophytes can purchase knowing full well that what they buy is priced at the most competitive levels and of good quality. Selling items like this violates the Woot buyer's trust first by offering it a high price and secondly offering an item with known quality issues. Why?

plastikjess

quality posts: 1 Private Messages plastikjess

I've owned this laptop since 2009 and I love it. When it's time to get a new one, I will definitely get another VAIO.

The surface is a little hard to keep clean, though. Dirt gets in the small grooves and you have to scrub to get it out. Just a heads up.

soulman21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soulman21

Can anyone point out to me where I can get a 15.5" laptop with Intel i3 or an i5 processor for the same or less?

soulman21

nuggy wrote:If you go to the Sony Style store and look up refurbished notebooks....

You can get an I3 notebook for $30 more or (preferred) I5 notebook for $60 more.....

You have to pay tax in your state....

But free shipping.....

Much better deal.....

and if sign up/qualify for their credit card you get 0% financing for a year.....

Just saying.....

I just went on SonyStyle outlet store,where they sell Refurbished product. All I found in the same ball park was a 15" AMD for $529. All Intel models are over $1000k. This is a much better deal.

jeffreydurbin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jeffreydurbin

I never thought I would say this but this is a sucky woot deal. I just got my daughter an HP 15.6" laptop with the top-of-the-line AMD A8 processor, 6gb of RAM, 500gb hard drive, USB 3.0 and it was new with a 1-year warranty and cost $499 after $50 rebate.

The only thing this Sony has is the blu-ray player but big deal on that. If it had the new Intel Core i5 processor then it would have a compelling story to tell but not this deal. It's $100 too expensive.

ionman

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ionman
plastikjess wrote:I've owned this laptop since 2009 and I love it. ...

I'd say that you've hit the nail on the head of why there's so many negative comments here. Yes, this probably was a very nice machine in 2009 -- especially for this price. But it's 2012. Computer technology advances very rapidly every year. I agree with other reviewers that this particular laptop (even updated with Win-7) is pretty old technology for the price. IMHO having a Blu-ray player is not enough to sweeten the deal since the screen is not capable of 1080 video anyway.

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen

I assume this laptop comes with a PCMCIA slot and a 28.8kbps modem card?

jeffreydurbin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jeffreydurbin
soulman21 wrote:Can anyone point out to me where I can get a 15.5" laptop with Intel i3 or an i5 processor for the same or less?

Look at www.spoofee.com for a $329 deal at Staples or Office Depot (I forget which.)

birdzilla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages birdzilla

This piece of junk should be selling for $350.00 and I only added in the fifty because it has a blue ray you can get a new i3 or i5
and I mean new for $ 500.00. Right after
Christmas I got an i7 quad with Niv GT540 for
$ 600.00 on sale Asus -New

Here is the Newsdeals site.More deals are added every day. If you see something be prepared to act fast some deals last only hours or days
http://dealnews.com/

soulman21

jeffreydurbin wrote:Look at www.spoofee.com for a $329 deal at Staples or Office Depot (I forget which.)

All I was able to find was Acer Revo RL100-UR20P Desktop Computer with AMD processor for $349. I am looking for a laptop. This Sony laptop looks like a great deal. Ye it comes with an older processor but for my business functions this will be great. Plus Sony quality is still the best.

quakeguy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages quakeguy

Well you know you just have to buy this is if you've got a drawer full of Sony MemorySticks. And who knows, it might have a secret bonus - a Sony rootkit!

escalante

quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante
soulman21 wrote:Can anyone point out to me where I can get a 15.5" laptop with Intel i3 or an i5 processor for the same or less?

Easy:

NEW Aspire AS5755-6699 Laptop Computer

MicroCenter.com sells has this for $399 but usually for $380. The Microsoft store had it for $350 with free shipping 2 days ago.

Intel® Core™ i3-2330M
• 4GB DDR3-1066 RAM
• 500GB 5,400RPM Hard Drive
• 15.6" HD Widescreen CineCrystal LED-backlit Display
• Intel® Wi-Di Ready
• 8x DVD-Super Multi Double-Layer Drive
• Multi-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader
• Intel® HD Graphics 3000
• 10/100/1000 Network
• 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™
• Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
• USB 3

By the way, this has a Sandy Core processor, much better than the original i3's:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

soulman21

birdzilla wrote:This piece of junk should be selling for $350.00 and I only added in the fifty because it has a blue ray you can get a new i3 or i5
and I mean new for $ 500.00. Right after
Christmas I got an i7 quad with Niv GT540 for
$ 600.00 on sale Asus -New

Here is the Newsdeals site.More deals are added every day. If you see something be prepared to act fast some deals last only hours or days
http://dealnews.com/

What is the benefit of i3 or i5 processor vs this dual core processor for business functionality? Also what is Asus? sounds like it came from a cheep Chinese factory that employs minors. I guess you throw in some marketing dollars into the US marketplace and all of our morals and good sense are thrown out of the window.

Greshmahg

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Greshmahg
soulman21 wrote:What is the benefit of i3 or i5 processor vs this dual core processor for business functionality? Also what is Asus? sounds like it came from a cheep Chinese factory that employs minors. I guess you throw in some marketing dollars into the US marketplace and all of our morals and good sense are thrown out of the window.

That you have to ask what Asus is shows that you really shouldn't be having a technological discussion.

Just sayin'.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
ccweems wrote:NOTE TO WOOT PURCHASING DEPARTMENT:

Top prices for 2 year old laptops is $350. Check reviews (Amazon is a good start) and if it is less than 4 stars don't buy.

WOOT STRATEGIC OBJECTIVE:

Become a trusted source much like Costco which means that neophytes can purchase knowing full well that what they buy is priced at the most competitive levels and of good quality. Selling items like this violates the Woot buyer's trust first by offering it a high price and secondly offering an item with known quality issues. Why?

LOL,you had me going for a few minutes there. When I first read this I thought you were serious. I enjoy your subtle humor but I will be on guard next time.

AudioFileZ

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AudioFileZ

Someone said Sony quality is the best...LOL! I've had 2, with one being a $2K+ monster w/ blu-ray burner. Guess what both failed, the monster twice, the second time after Sony fixed it once. The other has been repaired by Sony twice,which btw I appreciate, and then failing for another unrelated reason. Yes, after a 2nd video card replacement, the lcd screen failed for no apparent reason and the warranty wasn't extended on the lcd so I was SOL. Regularly Sony batteries last fewer months than they should and you have to install a "spoofing" program to use a OEM battery because Sony only wants you to use their batteries at their prices.

This is almost a 4-year old processor and there's just no reason a blu-ray drive makes this worth the money. It should be no more than $300 and that's adding a little more because of the drive. I'm a believer that no one laptop can represent the quality of any company, but two in a row that fail...Well, I begin to get gun-shy with some good reason! For the price listed here I can't see this in any way, shape, form, or fashion!

Degaman88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Degaman88

Long gone are the days when the masses used to stay up until midnight to purchase a Woot offering before it sold out.

Things seem to have only worsened since the acquisition by Amazon. Not even Woot-offs have retained their luster.

veni, vidi, vici

bmaragos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmaragos

Wow, looks like a fair amount of people are buying this?? Who would dump cash on this dinosaur without comparing specs and prices? I recently gave my old dual core with similar specs to my 8 year old daughter to play around on, not caring what happens to it (parental blocks of course). I'm pretty sure my cell phone is more powerful than this!

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090

C'mon Woot. That's all I have to say.

anishsc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anishsc

Look for microcenter refurbs.

redrotors

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redrotors
soulman21 wrote:All I was able to find was Acer Revo RL100-UR20P Desktop Computer with AMD processor for $349. I am looking for a laptop. This Sony laptop looks like a great deal. Ye it comes with an older processor but for my business functions this will be great. Plus Sony quality is still the best.

Use the dealnews site mentioned by poster above, look at laptops and you can see what $500 has been able to buy recently.

soulman21

Greshmahg wrote:That you have to ask what Asus is shows that you really shouldn't be having a technological discussion.

Just sayin'.

Asus used to manufacture great gamer machines with quality components that used to run over $2K in retail. Once they established their name they started manufacturing junk with terrible quality components that has tremendously high defective rate. Do I have a correct definition?

nohoman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nohoman

Wow! I wish I saw this deal 6 months ago when I bought the same model at Best Buy for $799.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
administrator1956 wrote:You're right, so welcome! Glad you joined our consumerism world, following its rules. Enjoy the present: 'til you have chinese human and mineral resources at a minimum price, and you don't think about where all this rapidly growing hardware waste will go, it' fine like this.

Easy to predict that in 25 years we'll have something to regret about this. Oh well it'll be our sons trouble, not ours. Let's enjoy the fun while it lasts

I wrote, "I'd rather spend $400 a year for a new camera each year for three years, ending up with much improved gear at the end of the $1,200 spent. I just bought a 16 MP compact camera for $54 on sale."

I understand your point, but you missed mine. I did not advocate that you toss away a camera every few years for no reason. I suggested that, from a financial point of view, $1,200 would be better spent in segments, buying new as the need arises.

I do say in my book, "How To Use The Digital Camera You Just Bought" and in my classes that no camera is obsolete until it cannot do something you need it to do. Sadly, we are so new at making digital cameras that new models really are better.

My first digital camera used 6 AA cells, later another used 4 AA cells, but very rapidly. My newer cameras use far less power and easier to make CMOS chips, vs CCD.

Of course we could go back to film, dissolving vast quantities of silver to make emulsions, then removing it again with fixer (which often made it into the water system).

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

fourlane77

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fourlane77
nohoman wrote:Wow! I wish I saw this deal 6 months ago when I bought the same model at Best Buy for $799.

Ouch! That's gotta'hurt- especially after reading many of the comments here and the negative vibe this deal is getting! Sorry for your loss...

vote. vote. vote. vote. vote. vote.

bmaragos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmaragos
soulman21 wrote:Asus used to manufacture great gamer machines with quality components that used to run over $2K in retail. Once they established their name they started manufacturing junk with terrible quality components that has tremendously high defective rate. Do I have a correct definition?

I think that may be a bit over the top, but I sort of agree with you, and have switched to MSI. My GT683-DXR-603US is amazing!

curt4computers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages curt4computers

$299 would be more like it for a several year old Refurb!