jk3247


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jk3247

EVERY post i make ends up missing...my posts are clean....whats the deal

Gatzby


quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby

Greetings,

Most questions about deleted posts can be answered by visiting this thread.

In an effort to try to keep more relevant and informative posts the focus of discussions in a given Woot item thread, a lot of posts will be removed. Normally, these include things like, "good woot!" or "NEED MORE TOASTERS!" Or, to use a real example:

jk3247 wrote:watch yourself


jk3247 wrote:WATCH your tone!



They don't really contribute anything and aren't really funny, heh, sorry. You weren't the only one to spam a few puns, nor were you the only one to have them removed. Personally, I don't even read usernames when deleting... just the content of the post.

If you think the current item for sale is good or bad, tell us why, cite examples, or just offer an opinion such as, "I would buy this, but I don't think the color would match my skin tone. Also, I would look like such a dork in public." Just try to keep it on topic and somewhat informative.

You might be more comfortable hanging out in the "Everything but Woot," forum, which is the least moderated of the forums here.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

gimmaroon


quality posts: 7 Private Messages gimmaroon

Volunteer Moderator

Ditto, Gatzby...But I'll still add my verbose, boilerplate response to the common questions about the Deletion graveyard and probations:

The deletions are made to keep the woot threads informative, as a Q & A area for potential buyers and also for post product receipt help and discussions.

Obviously some nights, it's appropriate to leave up silly, harmless stuff, esp., if it's witty or will lead to a discussion of something humourous or interesting. How many Quality Posts can be expected, when the item is a Sushi Making Kit, heh? However, the Projector, Hard Drive and dare I say it, the MP3 (vs iPod) threads, etc., are examples of items that lend themselves to the need for serious comments/discussions and the answering of questions, therefore, result in more deletions.

Item threads for something like Random Crap are full of pages of, well, random, crappy posts ...for fun. Woot-off threads are unpredictable...we are members who volunteer our time, not ModBots, so human error and inconsistencies will happen. We get no advanced item notice or woot-off notice, remember? So threads may have varying degrees of moderation.

There are currently only two volunteer mods and this is a big and growing community, so staff also moderates the forum. We strive to be consistent, but again, we aren't bots and take the action that we feel is appropriate, at the time, when we see a violation of the rules.

We try to keep the thread postings balanced with the item and it's description...it's a battle, lol. I mean, after the writer's item description for the Cigar Pro 128MB USB 2.0 Flash Drive or the Hammock Chair of Death, we needed informative posts on the woot, but we expected humourous, off-colour stuff, too. The descriptions set us up for that, so we left witty, yet, uninformative ones in the threads.

In general, funny or off-topic comments, esp., for complex items, stand a better chance of surviving, later in the thread; The first several pages of a product thread are reserved for product discussion, esp., when the item is still available for purchase. "We’re definitely interested in hearing your comments and criticisms about the product and price, positive or negative. Let it all out: we’re not interested in being Big Brother. Substantive debate is the very lifeblood of our community." As an example, even the negative comments/experiences get spotlighted in wootbot.

Give a reason for your comments; not just:
This Suxors.
This woot roxorz.
I want it, but I have no $$$.
Ew, refurbished? No way!
Cool, another refurb (rox0rz!)'ed woot!
Seriously, lame woot.

ALL ^^^ will be deleted for lack of substance and redundancy. To clarify for those who still don't get this extremely wordy clarification: If your comment is generic enough that anyone could post it about any given woot, on any night, often w/ out even viewing the product, then it is worthless and will RIP with its thousands of clones. Clear enough, yet? ;-)

Similarly, "First Post/First Page/Woot!/Woot off killer/ Bring on teh CRAP" style postings will not survive, but be deleted _and_ will result in probation. Hours increase with each violation of any forum rule. We follow the guidelines set by staff. The same pun or redundant joke and random non sequiturs will be removed. You may think you're the only one asking if this watch will tell you when your toast is ready, but you are not...we read them all. :p

Again, Check out these links, which explain the forum rules.

In this forum, Jason Toon's "Noise Reduction" thread (click here) gets right to the point.

Read the "What is woot" (click here) (It's a very funny read; not your standard FAQ.), at the top of the page and familiarize yourself with the rules...specifically "What is not allowed in the community?" (click here)

Hope that clears up some of the confusion regarding "disappearing" posts and probations...it's not personal; it's just the rules. Like Gatzby said, we read the post's content; no time to focus on the screen name, unless it's probationary material.

With woot 2.0, came new forums. Anyone can start a thread in the Everything But Woot forum (again, without breaking any rules!!). So for the craziness that pops into your head, that's just gotta be said, go take advantage of it by posting there, not in the woot item threads. Thanks.

edit: Current item threads are not the place to discuss other items purchased. Please take your comments to the threads for the item itself.

*******************************************
Want crap? Got crap? Go swap crap:
WootSwap.com, since 2005.


BC4L, but my wootjuice is eggplant.

Marm


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Marm

Any particular reason my posts have dispeared? Seriously, if it's a mod on a power trip, it's getting old. My last 5-6 posts have mysteriously not shown up again after I confirmed they were there. It's not like they are offensive in any way.

Probably just a WD Caviar HD that they are keeping the SQL database on for the forum.........

gimmaroon


quality posts: 7 Private Messages gimmaroon

Volunteer Moderator

Marm wrote:Any particular reason my posts have dispeared? Seriously, if it's a mod on a power trip, it's getting old. My last 5-6 posts have mysteriously not shown up again after I confirmed they were there. It's not like they are offensive in any way.

Probably just a WD Caviar HD that they are keeping the SQL database on for the forum.........



Well, this one didn't get deleted, it was merged because you started a duplicate thread, when this one was just down the page. It helps to read a bit, esp., the links listed in the above posts, prior to making accusations.

I was going to go look for the ones you feel were wrongfully deleted, like I usually do, when someone complains. I'm always willing to see if posts were mistakenly deleted, yet abided by the forum rules.

However, there are alot of deletions just since the woot-off began, so I won't be doing that, unless you can give me an item thread and approx. time of the posting. (Staff deletes posts, too...we follow their guidlelines, that's it.)

*******************************************
Want crap? Got crap? Go swap crap:
WootSwap.com, since 2005.


BC4L, but my wootjuice is eggplant.

gimmaroon


quality posts: 7 Private Messages gimmaroon

Volunteer Moderator

gimmaroon wrote:

Well, this one didn't get deleted, it was merged because you started a duplicate thread, when this one was just down the page. It helps to read a bit, esp., the links listed in the above posts, prior to making accusations.

I was going to go look for the ones you feel were wrongfully deleted, like I usually do, when someone complains. I'm always willing to see if posts were mistakenly deleted, yet abided by the forum rules.

However, there are 96 pages of deletions, just since the woot-off began, so I won't be doing that, unless you can give me an item thread and approx. time of the posting. (Staff deletes posts, too...we follow their guidlelines, that's it.)



Well Marm, I actually went through the most recent 20 pages of the 96 pages of deletions , since the woot-off began. Ifound these, which are the type that will continue to be deleted, based on the guidelines given to us by staff:


Marm wrote:Mods, Any particular reason My posts keep disapearing???



Marm wrote:WOOT OFF KILLER!!!


errr........ wait... nevermind......



Marm wrote:I'm so upset I Missed this.... ARG!



With 96 pages of deletions since April 13th, if your posts ARE stilll in the forum, did you consider they would be on a different page# ?

*******************************************
Want crap? Got crap? Go swap crap:
WootSwap.com, since 2005.


BC4L, but my wootjuice is eggplant.

Gatzby


quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby

Just to cover some specific cases:
A.) The mods are not power-tripping.
B.) We don't care who you are. Posts are scanned for content, not names.
C.) Censorship is bad. We don't like it. But if you're attacking another user, being rather profane, or trying to start flame wars... you run the risk of having your post deleted or modified. When an edit happens, you can check the edit history of a post. There will probably be a note there, in the post itself, or both.
D.) Long URLs will get edited so they don't stretch the forum.
Echo.) Posts that contain no real content will be deleted and possibly probated. These include, but are not limited to, "WOOT!" "WARES MUH CRAP!!!!!" "Crap. Next?" "If only it made toast..." "REREFURBIHSHGH OMG!!!!!~!!1!eleven" "FIRST POST!" "FIRST PAGE!" "1st" "1P"
F.) We, like everyone else, get tired of the same dumb jokes. After while, they'll get deleted too.
G.) Criticism and negative reviews of a product are fine. Just tell us why it sucks.
H.) Personal messages, such as "Good morning, gimmaroon, how have you been?" Do not belong in Woot item threads. Same goes with "check your PMs," in item threads. Use your private messages or the Everything but Woot forum.
I.) Links that have the potential to generate profit for the individial are frowned upon and will be removed/changed.
J.) We aim to be PG-13. Not literally, but it's a great guideline. Would you go to a middle school and say/show whatever it is and expect not to be escorted off the property? Kids and their families read Woot forums, too.
11.) Seriously, if you have nothing constructive to contribute, or you're the only one laughing at your jokes, head over to the Everything but Woot forum. It's the least moderated and more socially oriented.
L.) Just try to play nice. Personalities conflict, people get into heated arguments. We understand this and appreciate the value of debate. But you just start looking like a fool when you resort to name-calling. Same thing goes for hitting on other users. We're still investigating the viability of One Day, One Date matching services. If you have an issue with another user it, keep it private, please. Or go chill out for awhile.
M.) We read the feedback from the "Report" button. Remember, it says "Report" not, "Reply." -- Hooray for the return of the Report button!
N.) You can send a private message by clicking the "Send Message" link under a users nickname in a post. You can check your messages with the "Private Message" link at the top of the page, left corner.
O.) If you have a problem with a specific Woot or the general state of things, use the appropriate thread. The post may be moved, deleted, or otherwise ignored if you don't.
P.) Lastly, moderators are human. We make mistakes. We're sorry and we'll try not to make them twice. Honest.

Now, directly related to your issue, Marm, your posts were deleted because they were generally uninformative and in the center of a tsunami of other posts saying the exact same things. The other posts disappeared, too. No offense, it's nothing personal, but we try to keep item threads on-track and generally on-topic.

Sometimes they drift, but are left alone because they're still informative. Some examples of this are the ever-popular iPod versus Other debate, and the recent debate about the quality of Bose speakers in the Boston Acoustic Speakers thread. They're at least partially related and largely informative on the general topic of sound systems. A reader could glean insight into the product, even if not the exact product for sale, by browsing those posts.

I hope this helps clarify things a bit.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

gimmaroon


quality posts: 7 Private Messages gimmaroon

Volunteer Moderator

Gatzby wrote:Just to cover some specific cases:
<snip>
M.) We read the feedback from the "Report" button. Remember, it says "Report" not, "Reply."
<snip>



Thanks for bring this one up, Gatz.

In more depth:

We notice that, quite often, when trying to simply post, some posters (mostly new) hit the "Report" link, instead of the "Post" button, which is at the bottom of the page, below the other replies.

To post a new post, you click the "Post" button.

To make a post that quotes another post, to which your are specifically responding, you hit the "Quote" button from within that existing post and then type your new text below the closing [/quote] tag.

The "Report" link quotes and sends your input to a special "Report" forum, viewable only by staff and mods. It is for "reporting" a post (with your explanation of why, which is helpful), that needs deletion, contains misinformation, flaming, or anything else problematic or against posting rules.

Very frequently, there are comments made in "reported" posts which are clearly intended as posts to an active forum thread. We have no way to move "reports" like the one below, to the item thread, where it clearly belongs:

April 24, 2006 12:09 AM Cuisinart Grind and Brew Thermal 10-Cup Coffee Maker This was in response to another post, which appeared in the report.

username removed wrote:Buy a bottle washer and bend it into a U. Works really well to clean the two-part grinder unit.



So, if you're trying to enter your posts via the report link, they aren't being deleted! They aren't even available in the item thread for deletion, because they are showing up in a hidden "Reports" forum.

*******************************************
Want crap? Got crap? Go swap crap:
WootSwap.com, since 2005.


BC4L, but my wootjuice is eggplant.

lelia4


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lelia4

I saw where one guy's post was booted by woot and he's on probation? What did he say that got him busted?

gimmaroon


quality posts: 7 Private Messages gimmaroon

Volunteer Moderator

lelia4 wrote:I saw where one guy's post was booted by woot and he's on probation? What did he say that got him busted?



I'm not sure to which post you are referring, esp., since many are deleted after a few minutes, but it doesn't matter... Read this thread for a general understanding of the enforcement of probation and deletions. If you still have questions, post here or private message me.

*******************************************
Want crap? Got crap? Go swap crap:
WootSwap.com, since 2005.


BC4L, but my wootjuice is eggplant.

wiztom


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wiztom

I posted a problem and now I cant find my post. Is that how it works ?
If you are not posting something positive you get trash-canned ?

Gatzby


quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby

Greetings,

I just went through about 55 pages of deleted posts looking for your post and it is not there. We do not delete negative posts if they are on topic and present valid information. See above for more information.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

pblgov


quality posts: 15 Private Messages pblgov

If you still have this question please listen to todays (7/3/2006) podcast

gwp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
pblgov wrote:If you still have this question please listen to todays (7/3/2006) podcast



Link to the Why'd You Delete My Post Wootcast to make it easier to find after today.

gimmaroon


quality posts: 7 Private Messages gimmaroon

Volunteer Moderator

gwp wrote:

Link to the Why'd You Delete My Post Wootcast to make it easier to find after today.



Thank you, earlybirds. ;-)

*******************************************
Want crap? Got crap? Go swap crap:
WootSwap.com, since 2005.


BC4L, but my wootjuice is eggplant.

tall4agirl


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tall4agirl

Hey gatz and/or gimma...

You may want to revise your super huge posts above to reflect the fact that PMs are now created through the link under the user's name that says [Send Message] and there is no longer a Report button.

marinexgen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages marinexgen

Seems to me that mods are just trying to keep the forum post that are more informative so users don't have to scour the internet looking for information as most members post their reviews, thoughts and competitors prices.

I personally don't want to browse a thread that has 5 pages of post, with only about 1 page total of being useful.

Purchases:
1 x Adaptec AVC-1400 GameBridge USB 2.0 Adapter -- 11/16/2006
1 x Sudoku Handheld Electronic Game with Touch Screen -- 11/16/2006

golf4birds


quality posts: 0 Private Messages golf4birds
Gatzby wrote:

They don't really contribute anything and aren't really funny, heh, sorry. You weren't the only one to spam a few puns, nor were you the only one to have them removed. Personally, I don't even read usernames when deleting... just the content of the post.

If you think the current item for sale is good or bad, tell us why, cite examples, or just offer an opinion such as, "I would buy this, but I don't think the color would match my skin tone. Also, I would look like such a dork in public." Just try to keep it on topic and somewhat informative.

You might be more comfortable hanging out in the "Everything but Woot," forum, which is the least moderated of the forums here.



Hey, I promise to watch my tone, and I do not mean any dis-respect. I just am surprised by the posts tonight, and I do use them to make my decision. I only asked what was the best Woots people spent their money on. Things that I missed, and do not want to miss more, but really tonight it sounds like fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me... I now know that I will have to think twice before I buy a refurb (rox0rz!), and I now also know that you will take care of me if I do receive a defective product.

mudhen1960


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mudhen1960

Honestly, I have to commend the moderators this wootoff. I have not seen nearly as many "1st" posts as I have in recent wootoffs. I understand that there is still a lot to do...
I will add my two cents on this though: even if the posts aren't deleted until later, if somone needs to go back for some reason, it would help if the useless posts were deleted.
I am also hesitant to use the Report feature because I don't want to seem like a nag.... If I used it during a wootoff, you guys would be flooded with "reports". Maybe if you could work something like Craigslist does with their links to report for various reasons.... Just click on what is applicable- spamming, inflammatory, useless, not on topic, etc. I don't know how their system works exactly, but it makes it easier to report for a specific reason. Just an idea.

Yeormom


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Yeormom

I think it's funny that if you make a comment about a product containing problems with the product which hits the first page, it will get deleted every time. However, all the posts saying "great woot" and "1st" always remain when proper, relative item comment is posted and removed.

I would suggest that moderators refine their pruning technique but it doesn't matter anyway on this site so I'll just make useless discussion comments like everyone when inclined else then I suppose since at least those won't be removed. Marketing censorship at its finest...but hey, its not my bandwidth.

jnf


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnf

Did the moderators put on probation the people posting the pictures of naked girls last night? (Feb. 1 midnight to 1 am)?

Gatzby


quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
Yeormom wrote:I think it's funny that if you make a comment about a product containing problems with the product which hits the first page, it will get deleted every time. However, all the posts saying "great woot" and "1st" always remain when proper, relative item comment is posted and removed.

I would suggest that moderators refine their pruning technique but it doesn't matter anyway on this site so I'll just make useless discussion comments like everyone when inclined else then I suppose since at least those won't be removed. Marketing censorship at its finest...but hey, its not my bandwidth.



It might be funny, if that were true, but it isn't. If you post a valid complaint about the product (e.g. not just, "It sucks!!!`1`313!#"), we welcome it. Same goes for positive reviews. Also, you might want to refresh -- we generally do get all the "first," "great woots," "lame," "next," etc posts.

Woot-offs are exceptions, though. It's a bit more lax on the non-offensive and the not-extreme stuff during them. You may not see them, but most people posting 1, first, one, etc, are getting probation, albeit a smaller one. Those posting inappropriate images are getting longer ones.

We're not here to censor posts, we're just trying to keep things a little bit more friendly and clean. If you have a problem with a product, by all means, tell us! Just give us details. Does it suck because the hinge is flimsy? Say so. Does it rock because the colors are vibrant? Let us know that too.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

mp88


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mp88

i tried typing in the word c o o l in my post but it ended up "ribs"

im confused

* Microgem 4gb Quick Drive *Compaq Pentium D
* Sore Thumbs T Shirt
* Black 30gb Zune
* Zune Tunepower
* Can i has a little dreidel T shirt?

Gatzby


quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
mp88 wrote:i tried typing in the word c o o l in my post but it ended up "ribs"

im confused



It's an automagic word filter. Some of them are for profanity, others are just somewhat humorous substitutions to overused words.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

rmsm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rmsm

You guys have to admit that there are some really funny and creative people around here that post stuff. Ya'll must chuckle at some of the threads. I mean really, unless the posts are outright blatantly (sp?) stupid (in which there are plenty of), it must be hard to get through some of the threads w/o spilling your coffee on the keyboard from cracking up at some of these wooters' comments. Really funny stuff.

Of course, there can be alot of annoying posts out there too...kinda like this one.

Ok, I'll shut up now.
:-)

Gatzby


quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
rmsm wrote:
Of course, there can be alot of annoying posts out there too...



And people wonder why we switched to Smartpost... bwahahaha! (Kidding! Kidding!)

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

gimmaroon


quality posts: 7 Private Messages gimmaroon

Volunteer Moderator

Gatzby wrote:And people wonder why we switched to Smartpost... bwahahaha! (Kidding! Kidding!)



O

0_o, I just read this
and almost hit the delete button....bwahahaha!

*******************************************
Want crap? Got crap? Go swap crap:
WootSwap.com, since 2005.


BC4L, but my wootjuice is eggplant.

newsvideoguy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages newsvideoguy

I was put on "probation" several days ago and have several issues with it.

First, the name probation to begin with. Isn't probation a WARNING with NO real punishment unless/until you do something else wrong? Why is it, then, that an allegedly wrong/bad/offensive poster is IMMEDIATELY punished by being prohibited from posting? Shouldn't you be calling it being PROHIBITED instead of PROBATION? "I wasn't in jail, I was in a relocated home confinement!"

Secondly, I was PROHIBITED (NOT put on "probation") simply for posting a link to another deal-a-day website that had an item for sale I thought my fellow Woot!-ers might like better than the one that they were almost all complaining about (Timex XM Satellite Series Alarm Clock Radio with XM Antenna). There was no referall link because *I* had nothing to gain, financially or otherwise, from people going to that site; it was simply my own form of criticism to say, "Hey, this sucks -- here's something that does NOT!"

Finally, for that suppossedly egregious transgression, I got PROHIBITED (again, NOT "probation") for 96 hours! First offense, well over a dozen purchases, NO apparent financial gain from linking to another site, the rest of my post is usefull and relevant (only the link to the other site got "edited") and I still get what appears to be among the heaviest of punishments. Why?

What really got me was that with the PROHIBITION (again, NOT "probation"), I could not protest, offer my side or even say "Ooops, sorry!" All I could do is send a message through the "write us" link (TWO, actually) -- which I never recieved a reply back from, anyhow. Luckily, other Woot!-ers came to my defense and, incredibly, were not edited or PROHIBITED.

Don't know how or why this is such a terrible offense I committed; maybe it was something else I did to really upset the Woot! people...or maybe this "open forum" really isn't all that open when it comes to simply competition to a crappy item for sale?

Woot-Off lights, Screaming Monkeys, Roombas and Slingboxes...my office looks like a Woot warehouse!

Gatzby


quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
newsvideoguy wrote:I was put on "probation" several days ago and have several issues with it.
...



According to Dictionary.com, Probation can be "The act of suspending the sentence of a person convicted of a criminal offense and granting that person provisional freedom on the promise of good behavior." Consider it a period of time in which you're given a lesser sentence (not banned) and are still permitted to read the forums, just not post.

As you may have noticed, we have a lot of issues with people advertising their various sites, be they filled with referral links or another deal-of-the-day type site. The problem enters when it has absolutely nothing to do with the thread at hand. If it were on topic or related to the current item, then it's a different story.

Example: "This item is available at www.someothersite.org for about $5 dollars less and it's not refurbished. I think that's a better deal."

Now, here's something that'll get your post deleted at the very least and most likely probated, "This item sucks! Go over to AnotherSite.com and buy a pinball machine instead!"

Not only is it a useless post because it doesn't tell us why the item sucks, the pinball machine has nothing to do with the rest of the thread and you're advertising another website for no good reason. It doesn't have to have a referral link for you to profit by it. So, either way, you were eligible for at least 30 hours.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

newsvideoguy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages newsvideoguy
Gatzby wrote:According to Dictionary.com, Probation can be "The act of suspending the sentence of a person convicted of a criminal offense and granting that person provisional freedom on the promise of good behavior." Consider it a period of time in which you're given a lesser sentence (not banned) and are still permitted to read the forums, just not post.

As you may have noticed, we have a lot of issues with people advertising their various sites, be they filled with referral links or another deal-of-the-day type site. The problem enters when it has absolutely nothing to do with the thread at hand. If it were on topic or related to the current item, then it's a different story.

Example: "This item is available at www.someothersite.org for about $5 dollars less and it's not refurbished. I think that's a better deal."

Now, here's something that'll get your post deleted at the very least and most likely probated, "This item sucks! Go over to AnotherSite.com and buy a pinball machine instead!"

Not only is it a useless post because it doesn't tell us why the item sucks, the pinball machine has nothing to do with the rest of the thread and you're advertising another website for no good reason. It doesn't have to have a referral link for you to profit by it. So, either way, you were eligible for at least 30 hours.




"Provisional feedom" doesn't say anything about RESTRICTED freedom (i.e. not being able to post).

Again, I'm going to maintain that an ALTERNATIVE item similar to something that one might find on Woot! some other day (i.e. a basketball hoop game I recently saw) would be a form of criticism of the currently offered Woot by ignoring said current Woot altogether.

"Eligible for at least 30 hours" doesn't really explain why I got >9-6< hours being a REGULAR WOOTER on a FIRST OFFENSE!?!

Woot-Off lights, Screaming Monkeys, Roombas and Slingboxes...my office looks like a Woot warehouse!

gwp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
newsvideoguy wrote:"Eligible for at least 30 hours" doesn't really explain why I got >9-6< hours being a REGULAR WOOTER on a FIRST OFFENSE!?!



It's based on the number of characters in your username. I'd get 24 hours for the same heinous crime.


Gatzby


quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
gwp wrote:It's based on the number of characters in your username. I'd get 24 hours for the same heinous crime.



Also, the amount of erroneously capitalized words per post.

You received the amount of time you did because you were advertising another site in a completely unrelated thread. I thought that was made clear.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

newsvideoguy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages newsvideoguy
Gatzby wrote:Also, the amount of erroneously capitalized words per post.

You received the amount of time you did because you were advertising another site in a completely unrelated thread. I thought that was made clear.




You did make clear what you believed to be my "crime"...the punishment still seems to be contradictory and arbitrary.

I will assert again, having served albeit many years ago as a "peer" judge, jury & attorney (no two at the same time, mind you) that "probation" is simply a warning; commit the same offense again and you're really "in for it" -- not, you're on probation...now go to jail.

I also once again point out that your only reference to the PROHIBITION was "you were eligible for at least 30 hours." Well, what caused my PROHIBITION to LEAP from 30 to 96 hours???

FInally, yes I DO capitilize a lot -- though not "erroneously" as you maliciously alledged. Certain words are in caps for EMPHASIS. I am an extremely animated and emphatic person as is a lot of my writing. Unfortunately I have yet to take the time to figure out how to use other emphasis (i.e. bold or italic) in this forum.

Woot-Off lights, Screaming Monkeys, Roombas and Slingboxes...my office looks like a Woot warehouse!

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
newsvideoguy wrote:I will assert again, having served albeit many years ago as a "peer" judge, jury & attorney (no two at the same time, mind you) that "probation" is simply a warning; commit the same offense again and you're really "in for it" -- not, you're on probation...now go to jail.


Mr. Guy,
I am by no means an expert, but I do watch a lot of TV. I think the word "probation" is more than a simple warning. I found this web page http://www.harnett.org/clerk/legal-glossary.asp that defines "probation" as "alternative to imprisonment. Conditions of freedom for offender in compliance with restrictions or requirements."

So on the woot site, you weren't imprisoned, because you were still free to move around from thread to thread and read posts, and even buy stuff, but you were restricted from writing.

newsvideoguy wrote:I also once again point out that your only reference to the PROHIBITION was "you were eligible for at least 30 hours." Well, what caused my PROHIBITION to LEAP from 30 to 96 hours???


I agree that it would be nice if the woot staff and moderators would take the time to communicate more, but they have traditionally been a little reticent, as is their wont. Perhaps it was simply a case of "moderator's discretion."

newsvideoguy wrote:FInally, yes I DO capitilize a lot -- though not "erroneously" as you maliciously alledged. Certain words are in caps for EMPHASIS. I am an extremely animated and emphatic person as is a lot of my writing. Unfortunately I have yet to take the time to figure out how to use other emphasis (i.e. bold or italic) in this forum.


Mr. Guy, let me be so bold as to suggest that you take the time to learn how to use bold and italic. Traditionally, excessive use of capitalization is a hallmark of Internet kookery, and should be avoided in serious posts.

newsvideoguy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages newsvideoguy
no1 wrote:Mr. Guy, let me be so bold as to suggest that you take the time to learn how to use bold and italic. Traditionally, excessive use of capitalization is a hallmark of Internet kookery, and should be avoided in serious posts.



So would this mean that as punishment for my next offense, I would NOT be permitted to "move around from thread to thread and read posts, and even buy stuff"?

I'll avoid my "kookery" of "excessive...capitalization" in a thread that, well, most recently featured a monkey with nuclear green eyes and mouth. Yeah, uhm -- RIGHT!

Woot-Off lights, Screaming Monkeys, Roombas and Slingboxes...my office looks like a Woot warehouse!

MHBoston


quality posts: 4 Private Messages MHBoston
newsvideoguy wrote:So would this mean that as punishment for my next offense, I would NOT be permitted to "move around from thread to thread and read posts, and even buy stuff"?

I'll avoid my "kookery" of "excessive...capitalization" in a thread that, well, most recently featured a monkey with nuclear green eyes and mouth. Yeah, uhm -- RIGHT!


1) You're jumping to conclusions based on Mr. No1's definition of probation.
2) He was sympathizing with your burden of reticient moderators.
3) Suggestions were made for alternate methods of emphasis more commonly accepted on this forum. With over 1400 posts under his belt, might Mr. No1 be credible?
4) That monkey picture is a legitimate entry in a woot alternate dimension known as shirt.woot.
5) You're losing sympathy with the crowd.

| w ~ 41 | s.w ~ 44 | so.w ~ 7 | w.w ~ 28 | k.w ~ 1 |

Gatzby


quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby

Arguing semantics is really outside the point here. Basically, don't advertise. The severity of the punishment is a recent change, as a lot of filters were removed in favor of recognizing the competition when they have a better deal -- we have nothing to fear there.

There are some relatively standardized durations for various offenses (and at various stages), but they aren't publically available. While there is room for judgment, it's not really arbitrary.

To stretch (read: butcher) a metaphor, imagine you own a lemonade shop. Somebody walks in and says, "LEMONADE SUCKS! LET'S ALL GO TO JACK'S FOR STEAKS!" You're probably going to ask that person to leave, especially if it happens a few dozen times per day. Probation, or whatever you wish to call it, is our way of telling you to come back when you can hang out in the shop without being disruptive. One major difference is if you tell us why you don't like lemonade, you can still hang out and have fun with the other customers.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

messenger569


quality posts: 0 Private Messages messenger569

Is woot looking for more volunteer moderators? I seem to be on this site constantly, and it would certainly give me some purpose to be working on the posts. I appreciate your time.

Nick

phxemir


quality posts: 2 Private Messages phxemir
messenger569 wrote:Is woot looking for more volunteer moderators? I seem to be on this site constantly, and it would certainly give me some purpose to be working on the posts. I appreciate your time.

Nick



14 posts in 3 months is constantly?

cjupiter


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cjupiter
phxemir wrote:14 posts in 3 months is constantly?



In his defense, I'm on here constantly too, but I don't post much. I just read. And lurk. And laugh...

I even buy the Cr@p that ISN'T random.