roxannez

quality posts: 13 Private Messages roxannez

This question is for anyone who owns a laptop similar to this one:

What's the advantage of having a built-in Blu-Ray player? I would think that the best place to watch Blu-Ray movies is on a massive home theater/big screen TV system.

Thanks.

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
ThunderThighs wrote:FYI: All I'm doing is deleting some of the repetitious posts and profanity so people can find information about the laptop in the thread.

Good Luck!!!

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

jpawmsu

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jpawmsu
roxannez wrote:This question is for anyone who owns a laptop similar to this one:

What's the advantage of having a built-in Blu-Ray player? I would think that the best place to watch Blu-Ray movies is on a massive home theater/big screen TV system.

Thanks.

you run the output on your laptop to your tv.

roxannez

jpawmsu wrote:you run the output on your laptop to your tv.

Ok. That makes sense. So you wouldn't have to buy a standalone Blu-Ray player. Thanks.

brettmagnetic

quality posts: 2 Private Messages brettmagnetic

I'm surprised at how many of you just immediately buy the stuff they put on here without price checking first. To be honest, you can get better prices on almost anything they offer on this site if you go to Newegg.com. Seriously, check it out and see for yourself. I would never drop hundreds of dollars on something i literally just saw for 30 seconds, and know nothing about, especially since a lot of this stuff is refurbished.

salwei

quality posts: 3 Private Messages salwei
brettmagnetic wrote:I'm surprised at how many of you just immediately buy the stuff they put on here without price checking first. To be honest, you can get better prices on almost anything they offer on this site if you go to Newegg.com. Seriously, check it out and see for yourself. I would never drop hundreds of dollars on something i literally just saw for 30 seconds, and know nothing about, especially since a lot of this stuff is refurbished.

Don't underestimate everyone...nobody bought the $800 camera

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Here, looks like someone started a thread if you want to share your thoughts on the Woot-off. It's more likely to be read there than buried in this product thread anyway.

Just remember to keep the language clean or your post will be deleted.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ionoff

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ionoff

Stay away of this series.

1) The keyboard is small and compressed to put the keypad.

2) The function keys are the secondary functions off the keys (hold fn + key)

3) The logo on the back is a bright led lit, and no way to disable without a hard process of opening up screen and unplugging the cable or using tape to cover it up.

4) It is big, a lot bigger than you expect yet still has low vertical resolution.

5) And this is the biggest issue, the touchpad.
It has so many issues and many people hate it. (google "dv7 touchpad") to read the horror stories.
Essentially it is all a single touch surface, clicking the left and right require lots of pressure. The button areas themself are touch for moving the mouse, so if you click with a slight movement, the mouse moves or drags as you click. It is multitouch, so you cannot rest your finger on the button while scrolling to where you want to click, it detects it as a jump movement or multi hit. It is not true multi-touch, it detects them as a single input source and not multi-tracking and estimates the hops and differences as pinches and such.

6) Battery life: forget about it.

Overall the laptop feels uncomfortable and I hate using it as a laptop.

I opened the screen bezel and removed the power cord to the logo led (it is on, as long as the system is on, even with it closed). I connected the laptop to a TV via HDMI and a ipazzport remote keyboard/mouse device, and put it under my bed.

Save your money. HP DV7 series laptops are a piece of freckled-corn-filled-feces. Chances are HP designed them without testing them or using them in real life situations, made a bunch of them and are trying to offload them like they did with their tablets. The tablets are nice btw, that was just poor management.

Woot, just another form of OCD

brettmagnetic

quality posts: 2 Private Messages brettmagnetic
salwei wrote:Don't underestimate everyone...nobody bought the $800 camera

Seriously, check out Newegg.com for awesome prices on electronics! Great company, and their prices are almost ALWAYS lowest on the net, and they always have awesome sales, especially if you sign up for their free email club!

roxannez

ionoff wrote:Stay away of this series.

3) The logo on the back is a bright led lit, and no way to disable without a hard process of opening up screen and unplugging the cable or using tape to cover it up.

4) It is big, a lot bigger than you expect yet still has low vertical resolution.

5) And this is the biggest issue, the touchpad.
It has so many issues and many people hate it. (google "dv7 touchpad") to read the horror stories.
Essentially it is all a single touch surface, clicking the left and right require lots of pressure. The button areas themself are touch for moving the mouse, so if you click with a slight movement, the mouse moves or drags as you click. It is multitouch, so you cannot rest your finger on the button while scrolling to where you want to click, it detects it as a jump movement or multi hit. It is not true multi-touch, it detects them as a single input source and not multi-tracking and estimates the hops and differences as pinches and such.

6) Battery life: forget about it.

Overall the laptop feels uncomfortable and I hate using it as a laptop.

I opened the screen embezzle and removed the power cord to the logo led (it is on, as long as the system is on, even with it closed). I connected the laptop to a TV via HDMI and a ipazzport remote keyboard/mouse device, and put it under my bed.

Save your money. HP DV7 series laptops are a piece of Potty Emergency!. Chances are HP designed them without testing them or using them in real life situations, made a bunch of them and are trying to offload them like they did with their tablets. The tablets are nice btw, that was just poor management.

Thanks for the detailed and helpful information.

plaster

quality posts: 7 Private Messages plaster

this laptop is about as reliable as woot right now. I wouldn't trust either with anything at the moment.

Melanthalady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Melanthalady

I really need to know - will this laptop blend?!

brucedoesbms

quality posts: 158 Private Messages brucedoesbms

I am calling this woot!-off a teaser, so to speak... I'm thinking the 365 1/4 day earth clock in combination with the Day of the Ardently Enthusiastic Indulgent Opportunists will result in the most unexpected Expectations...

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "

vanevenhoven

quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanevenhoven

I don't know about blending, but it really will tie the room together.

Melanthalady wrote:I really need to know - will this laptop blend?!

Gabemax

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Gabemax
brettmagnetic wrote:I'm surprised at how many of you just immediately buy the stuff they put on here without price checking first. To be honest, you can get better prices on almost anything they offer on this site if you go to Newegg.com. Seriously, check it out and see for yourself. I would never drop hundreds of dollars on something i literally just saw for 30 seconds, and know nothing about, especially since a lot of this stuff is refurbished.

I tend to agree.

BUT, I'd better keep my post on topic here, that is to say, about the product, so I don't get my comment deleted lightning fast like last time.

SO, can anyone tell me if they've figured out the full model number on this? There's like a million DV7's out there, so it's hard to find specific reviews and price comparisons.

I've been enjoying my only other HP product (99 buck touchpad), but of course it's even worse than a refurb in terms of support.

granilithe

quality posts: 9 Private Messages granilithe
roxannez wrote:This question is for anyone who owns a laptop similar to this one:

Thanks.

Personally I make a lot of graphic and gifs myself and prefer to have access to Blu-Ray Quality caps that I can take myself. So if you ever cap a DVD it's always better if you can use the Blu-ray.

Also I only buy Blu-ray now so if you travel a lot or just have free time where ever to watch movies on your laptop, it's nice to be able to take any of your DVD collection and not have to worry about it not being Blu-Ray compatible.

joshsuggs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshsuggs

Thanks.

There isn't any real advantage, other than being to watch any your movies while you're on the road, including blu-ray discs. Most of these PC's also have HDMI outputs, so you could technically use it as a blu-ray player, outputting the signal to your HDTV (might pull double duty for someone on a budget or with space constraints like a dorm room).
Btw, the screen on this computer isn't capable of 1080HD anyways... that said, not very many notebooks (and probably none remotely close to this price range) have full HD 1080 screens.

courtjester801

quality posts: 1 Private Messages courtjester801
Shinespark wrote:Don't expect to play Skyrim, but most stuff will run at least passably.

I used to expect Bag of Cuuuuuuuuuute!s like you until I took a screaming monkey to the knee.

derrrface

quality posts: 3 Private Messages derrrface

This is the first time (in a long time) I've waited and waited for a Barrels of Crud.. Wakko Talks Faboo!?!? Then again I was unaware of Amazon purchasing Woot (Yes, been away that long)...

What is going on?!

mechanicsc

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mechanicsc
ionoff wrote:Stay away of this series.

A few comments on your review.

The keyboard is NOT small on this thing and is not "compressed". Its the same size as every laptop I have ever used.

The default F key behavior can be switched in the BIOS (F10 at bootup). You can set it where the fn key does not have to be clicked for F keys to work. In the BIOS, go to System Configuration, and set Action Keys Mode to "disabled".

robbystowe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robbystowe
courtjester801 wrote:I used to expect Bag of Cuuuuuuuuuute!s like you until I took a screaming monkey to the knee.

winning!

awilli25

quality posts: 1 Private Messages awilli25

Is there a webcam on the laptop?

mechanicsc

awilli25 wrote:Is there a webcam on the laptop?

Yes.

I think its a 1.3 MP but don't know for sure.

mechanicsc

Woot's writeup doesn't mention it, but this laptop does have a fingerprint reader as well (rectangle on lower right just below numeric keypad).

(added this info to my earlier review)

bunchesofroses

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bunchesofroses

I repair HP laptops for a living. The first thing you have to remember, is to make an informed decision when purchasing any electronic device. Look at the competition for similarly equipped units and read reviews, lots and lots of reviews. See what the most common issues are and how satisfied the end user is with their purchase. HP's in general are nearly always very poorly engineered and every series they make has horrid problems.

Where to begin? Lets's start with the power button. The circuit board is integrated with the Lid Switch, the component that disables the LCD panel whenever the magnet in its bezel comes within range of it. This small circuit board is capable of causing the LCD cable, Motherboard, Processor and BIOS chip to short out, and sometimes catch on fire.

The combination of the i7 (in select models) along with the integrated graphics controller will cause issues of no video when the hardware switches between the built in AMD HD GPU core on the i7 and the on board GPU. Among these issues are the RAM and HDD, which are very likely faulty before your first anniversary. The hard drives (often 750GB SATA) are likely to go out with normal usage, so if you decide to game or use heavy file transfers, you will be replacing it sooner than most.

Though this is a small list, there are other issues that will plague you, some of the ones that you can prevent however:

1)Update the BIOS FIRMWARE often

2)Pop the LCD bezel off the front @ the webcam and TAPE the hell out of that small cable that plugs into the webcam module. (I see this issue once a week, if not more, as the cable has doublesided tape, securing it to the back cover, however, they did not leave enough slack when routing the cable, causing it to unplug itself through normal usage)

3)Very regularly blow compressed air through the heatsink/fan vents to remove any dust build up, HP likes to use cheaper thermal paste that if allowed to overheat, will turn to cement and loose its thermal conductivity.

4)Speaking of thermal paste, if you are capable, go ahead and remove that junk they use in the manufacturing process. Also, behold as when you lift the HSF off the CPU, the ENORMOUS amount of thermal paste they use, often spilling over the CPU die, and across most of the CPU itself. Remember, thermal paste is there to fill the microscopic imperfections on the copper plating of the HSF and the CPU die. Excess thermal paste actually reduces the effectiveness of itself by absorbing too much heat and spreading the heat across the chip, away from the copper contact plate where it should be going.

5)HP uses proprietary software and drivers that will cause many features to become unavailable if you intend on installing any form of operating system besides the one HP uses in their restore media. Speaking of that restore media, they often do no package this media with your unit, and will charge you for copies of these discs. ALSO speaking of the restore media, these discs will take the better half of an entire day to install the operating system. Always use the supplemental disc when asked, and, if your restore fails at the end, a very common issue is the wireless toggle key on the keyboard, will deactivate the wireless module, causing the unit to detect a "missing wifi card" and crash the restore at the end of the 8hour process. If this happens, you will unfortunately have to watch the entire restore, toggling the wifi on during the "Installing Software" screen. As much as I hate the HP restore media, you will often be using these discs to correct ridiculous issues with your operating system due to the terrible drivers HP releases. I recommend ordering the discs as early as possible to have on hand for those situations.

6)If you have your HP serviced by a 3rd party vendor and they do a motherboard replacement, you will need to flash the BIOS, to rebrand the board with your Serial Number, Model Number and PCID. If this is not done, you will not be able to restore your operating system with the HP restore discs.

Despite how this sounds, I have nothing against HP. Without their laptops, I would have no work. This post is a warning of "POSSIBLE" issues you may or may not have. I speak of the most common, non-abuse/customer inflicted issues that I have come across working on this unit. The actual rate of failure will vary from laptop to laptop and you may even end up with one that never breaks down. I wish that were the case for most, however, as I am not homeless and make a decent living, this is not the case. Take proper care of your laptop, don't drop, shake, run, spill, dance upon, toss down the stairs, toss at your kids, toss at your wife, or shoot with a gun and you will avoid some of the most common failures.

Woot Tang Clan

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Woot Tang Clan

Doesn't matter how fast your CPU is, with a graphics card that weak, you can't do much media without bogging down your system. For the price, it is awesome. But not good for games or media multi tasking. I have bought many laptops and at this point, I learned that I would rather trade off in CPU capabilities and gain more GPU. Reasoning is that many dual cores are already sufficient in processing power. I bought my son an i3 HP, and regretted it. This would have been a much better laptop for him.

snapple4all

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snapple4all

I'm seriously thinking about buying this, but I guess I'm just hesitant because I don't know a whole lot about refurbished laptops.

I'm not a hardcore gamer - I'm looking to use it for some music software, for listening and for programs like VoceVista (don't know if anyone here has ever heard of it) that use very little space and memory.

I don't see a whole lot of red flags with this other than the trackpad and weight. Is there something I'm missing or some other direction someone could point me in for something basic, solid performance-wise, yet inexpensive?

acidoverride

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acidoverride
mechanicsc wrote:
One thing which is not immediately obvious from the pictures is that the 9-cell battery protrudes from the bottom of the laptop -- notice how in the pics that the hinged end of the laptop looks like it is "floating"? That's because the battery protrudes a good 3/4 of an inch from the bottom of the laptop. Not bad if using this on a desk, but not so good when using it on your lap or carrying it in a case. One nice thing about the protruding battery is it can act somewhat like a carrying handle (the metal case is slippery).

Battery life is really good, I regularly get 4+ hours on high performance settings with full display brightness.

-----------------------------------------
In my opinion this is not a detractor but instead an appeal. 2 reasons.... first, this is the result of having a great battery life on a large hd screen running at highest performance levels.... secondly, it greatly helps the air flow/ventilation. Just my 2 cents....

ionoff

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ionoff
mechanicsc wrote:A few comments on your review.

The keyboard is NOT small on this thing and is not "compressed". Its the same size as every laptop I have ever used.

The default F key behavior can be switched in the BIOS (F10 at bootup). You can set it where the fn key does not have to be clicked for F keys to work. In the BIOS, go to System Configuration, and set Action Keys Mode to "disabled".

I come from the Dell XPS series and Lenovo series laptops where the keys are much bigger and spaced apart. The HP DV7 series feels like typing on a netbook.

As for the F keys,
Yeah, that was not the point, you don't have a separate area for controls and function.

Another fun issue with the touchpad is it is not centered in the laptop, but centered in the keyboard area. This is not a problem, just awkward at first.

Woot, just another form of OCD

Gabemax

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Gabemax
bunchesofroses wrote:BEST.REVIEW.EVER.

zikzak

quality posts: 21 Private Messages zikzak
roxannez wrote:What's the advantage of having a built-in Blu-Ray player? I would think that the best place to watch Blu-Ray movies is on a massive home theater/big screen TV system.

Suppose you just bought a Blu-ray movie. You are about to go on a trip, well away from your home theater, and you'd like to watch the movie during the trip, and you will have your laptop with you. Or, suppose you are a student moving into a dorm room with your laptop as your entire entertainment center. What is the best way to watch the movie?

A. Admit defeat that you cannot watch your movie until you return home, because your laptop can't play Blu-ray discs.
B. Pay for the movie again on DVD, just so you can watch the darn thing on your laptop.
C. Own a laptop that can play Blu-ray discs.

Bottom line here: Sometimes the goal is not to watch Blu-Ray in its full 1080p video and surround sound glory...but simply to be able to watch the movie at all, with the equipment you were able take with you.

rypterrer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rypterrer
rychard wrote:The coupon does not drop the price to $450, it merely takes $450 OFF the price.

Choosing the base model of everything, I could only get the price down to $799.99 (w/ free shipping). Granted, I didn't do any deep research, I just clicked through really quickly to see if you were correct.

I don't know if I'm happy or sad that you weren't.

Yup - only drops the price to $799.00 ---- BUT - its a Core i7 processor - huge difference -- Wrong laptop to compare.

tljx

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tljx
benmason wrote:That has to be one of the worse notebooks I've seen.

It only appears that way to those who don't understand computer hardware.

How is it that in 2012, people still don't understand that clock speed is only a useful specification for comparing 2 or more processors of the same family?

mechanicsc

ionoff wrote:I come from the Dell XPS series and Lenovo series laptops where the keys are much bigger and spaced apart. The HP DV7 series feels like typing on a netbook.

As for the F keys,
Yeah, that was not the point, you don't have a separate area for controls and function.

Another fun issue with the touchpad is it is not centered in the laptop, but centered in the keyboard area. This is not a problem, just awkward at first.

I have a lenovo Thinkpad at work, and I have to respectfully disagree about the keyboard sizing (never used a Dell XPS so cannot comment on that). However, I don't type properly so maybe I am less sensitive to keyboard spacing than other folks. I have a 10" netbook as well and this laptop's keyboard feels nothing like typing on a netbook to me.

Re: touchpad -- never used it so cannot comment. I hate touchpads in general and disable them as soon as I can. I've got this one set to auto-disable whenever a mouse is plugged in.

sheina2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sheina2

I love my dell

llocutus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages llocutus
Woot Tang Clan wrote:Doesn't matter how fast your CPU is, with a graphics card that weak, you can't do much media without bogging down your system. For the price, it is awesome. But not good for games or media multi tasking. I have bought many laptops and at this point, I learned that I would rather trade off in CPU capabilities and gain more GPU. Reasoning is that many dual cores are already sufficient in processing power. I bought my son an i3 HP, and regretted it. This would have been a much better laptop for him.

It doesn't have a graphics card per se, but what they call an APU. Basically, the CPU and GPU are one chip, and so there isn't any dedicated VRAM. On the other hand, this APU can handle lots of games pretty decently. I have an A6 3420M that runs at 2.4GHz and can play Left 4 Dead 2 at High settings, Dirt 3 at Medium, and other such games quite well.

rocco808

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rocco808

Will this laptop pass a standard defenestration test?

LastApeMan

quality posts: 18 Private Messages LastApeMan

It used to be, before "Big Change" that a woot off was what it is, a product came up for a nice price and people bought it and the timer went down with the buys - at least it appeared that way - Now a product comes up and the timer goes down when they want it to, sale or not, and the price is is not so nice.

And apparently the monkey's do not fly no matter how loyal you are in watching the woot off, and the brown bags of happiness do not appear ( Not even for a second like they used to )

evilness has overcome the sacred thing we loyal viewers once held in such high rearguards.
I would like to announce that I will mourn the loss even more so than I did when eBay went to pewp in a hand basket a few years back.

I do hope the original creator with the fantastic idea for woot got so stinking rich from his decision to sell it all off that he is truly happy. Seriously, I really do. Cause it's just a pointless pile of crap if someone didn't bank on the deal.

wish some one else had the connections to wrangle a new woot and call it something else, this ones different enough from the original that I can't imagine a copy right infringement.

What Lies Behind Us and Lies Before Us are Small Matters Compared to What Lies Right to Our Faces.

andrewhime

quality posts: 5 Private Messages andrewhime
jseureau wrote:I'm not a fan of AMD

INCORRECT

If you enjoy my horrible posts here, you might enjoy my podcast at http://www.valuecube.com