Narg

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Narg

Only 2 negatives on this laptop.

1. it's HP
2. Blu-Ray (yuck!)

Oh well...

natekahl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages natekahl

As I stated previously...I own this(aside from an i7 instead of the AMD). My 9cell battery lasts from 6 hours (with wifi on and moderate screen brightness) to 10/11 hours (with wifi off and screen brightness way down). Also note that this laptop has two hard drive bays...a plus for me atleast.

joehrule

quality posts: 4 Private Messages joehrule

Wow, a 3 day wootoff with no pay off. The difference between Woot and a one hit wonder is that the one hit wonder is guaranteed to eventually give the audience what they are there for.

electricfx

quality posts: 4 Private Messages electricfx

Fairly Solid Specs and a Fairly decent price. Good desktop replacement for a lot of users. It's not on the top O' the heap, or the bottom. I'm not ashamed to say I've had pretty good luck with HP.

schoolcb

quality posts: 4 Private Messages schoolcb

I feel SOOOOO used. I actually made a purchase during the wootoff in anticipation of a chance at a Bagga de Crappa. What a let down.

silentg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages silentg

So..... woke up and saw this. Thought to self "TWO FOR TUESDAY LAPTOPS!!!!!!!"

Realized 30 seconds later.... It's not Tuesday. This isn't a two-for.

Realized 1 minute later that even if this was a two-for-tuesday I still would hesitate buying at that price... HPs are bad mmmmmk? My old one was a space heater. Laptops shouldn't be space heaters. The motherboard broke within 15 months. Sent it for a replacement. 1 and a half months later get it back fixed. Breaks again within 1 year. Motherboard is out on it again. Out of warranty. Initiate HULK SMASH MODE! Now I have no HP laptop and no more frustrations!!!

sdorn72659

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sdorn72659

HP- Horrible Products. Overheat at 18 months company does not stand behind them and they will charge you hundreds of dollars in support to tell you they can fix thier design flaw for $500 dollars. Thats why HP stock is down 43%. Ask why all the retailors are selling so many refurb HP's, because they dont last

ryanrules23

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ryanrules23

The processor isn't the highest quality AMD, but I assure you the fact that it is AMD makes it worth it. A lot of AMD processors also use the same socket type, which means you don't have to buy a new motherboard in order to upgrade your chipset. Also, AMD is substantially cheaper than Intel and overclock just as well as Intel. Wouldn't be that hard to upgrade it.

My $0.02 on the only issue with this computer.

aditya123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aditya123

Being a refurb, this comes with a standard HP 90 day warranty.

You can get extended 1 year warranty from SquareTrade for $89.99
here's a direct link.

playlikemusic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages playlikemusic

How could they do this to us? Are there no rules anymore? Is there no order? Why are they hurting their customers? FOR SHAME!

trenton21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trenton21

HP makes really bad laptops. If you want to mak ean investment in a laptop go with a Lenovo or a Dell.

ryanrules23

sdorn72659 wrote:HP- Horrible Products. Overheat at 18 months company does not stand behind them and they will charge you hundreds of dollars in support to tell you they can fix thier design flaw for $500 dollars. Thats why HP stock is down 43%. Ask why all the retailors are selling so many refurb HP's, because they dont last

It's not the HP that makes the computer bad...its the computer that makes HP bad...

HP is just a shell that holds components used in many other computers...

ryanrules23

trenton21 wrote:HP makes really bad laptops. If you want to mak ean investment in a laptop go with a Lenovo or a Dell.

I own a Dell laptop that has had nothing but issues... I seriously don't think it's the brand and much as it's the "How good are my fans?"

mikeypeavy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikeypeavy
alex94kumar wrote:quad core notebook with 1.4ghz processor? my phone has dual core 1.2ghz lol...

Yes, your phone has a 1.2 ghz processor, but your processor doesn't use it nearly as efficiently. Its not just about "how long the legs are" its about "how quickly it can use them"

MrJazz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrJazz
LastApeMan wrote:It used to be, before "Big Change" that a woot off was what it is, a product came up for a nice price and people bought it and the timer went down with the buys - at least it appeared that way - Now a product comes up and the timer goes down when they want it to, sale or not, and the price is is not so nice.

And apparently the monkey's do not fly no matter how loyal you are in watching the woot off, and the brown bags of happiness do not appear ( Not even for a second like they used to )

evilness has overcome the sacred thing we loyal viewers once held in such high rearguards.
I would like to announce that I will mourn the loss even more so than I did when eBay went to pewp in a hand basket a few years back.

I do hope the original creator with the fantastic idea for woot got so stinking rich from his decision to sell it all off that he is truly happy. Seriously, I really do. Cause it's just a pointless pile of crap if someone didn't bank on the deal.

wish some one else had the connections to wrangle a new woot and call it something else, this ones different enough from the original that I can't imagine a copy right infringement.

INDEED. I dearly miss the Woot of old. They swore on all that is holy that things wouldn't change. But we knew they would. And they did.
This past Woot-off has driven this point home for me. Never again will I be sequestered at home awaiting a box o' crap (that never comes.) Now I wonder if I'll ever make the 100 Woots mark... and I'm only three away.

Improviz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Improviz

When did the Bag o' Cuuuute finally show up, if ever? I knew as soon as I left work I'd probably miss it yesterday... :-(

schoolcb

quality posts: 4 Private Messages schoolcb
MrJazz wrote:INDEED. I dearly miss the Woot of old. They swore on all that is holy that things wouldn't change. But we knew they would. And they did.
This past Woot-off has driven this point home for me. Never again will I be sequestered at home awaiting a box o' crap (that never comes.) Now I wonder if I'll ever make the 100 Woots mark... and I'm only three away.

Exactly!

Improviz

MrJazz wrote:INDEED. I dearly miss the Woot of old. They swore on all that is holy that things wouldn't change. But we knew they would. And they did.

Eh, you answered my question. Dang them!

DutrowLLC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DutrowLLC

I gotta jump in and support this deal. I searched on newegg.com and couldn't find anything nearly as good.

17.3 inch screen
8gb RAM
750GB hard drive
Blu-ray
Quad-core processor

I guess the 1.4ghz sounds slow. But its a Quad-core, that means 4 processors running at 1.4ghz. That's more raw processing power than a dual-core at 2.4ghz.

Other than that, its got a ton of RAM. Also the hard drive is pretty big for a laptop.

The kicker for this laptop is that it has two hard drive bays. That means you can get an SSD drive to run your operating system off of and then use the 750gb it comes with as an auxiliary hard drive.

There may be some desktops with specs like these in this price range, but I haven't seen any laptops.

The thing you gotta remember is this laptop isn't for most people. Its big and heavy. Its for people who don't mind carrying around a big, heavy laptop in exchange for dual hard drives and big screen.

Improviz

You're much better off getting a dual-core (i3 or i5) that runs at a higher clock rate. That is a SLOW CPU and 4 cores all running slow are worse than 2 cores running at 2.4ghz, let's say. for 99% of what you'd use this thing for, anyway.

mhmank

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mhmank

Where is the Barrels of Crud

I don't think there was a Barrels of Crud yesterday!

mikeypeavy

sdorn72659 wrote:HP- Horrible Products. Overheat at 18 months company does not stand behind them and they will charge you hundreds of dollars in support to tell you they can fix thier design flaw for $500 dollars. Thats why HP stock is down 43%. Ask why all the retailors are selling so many refurb HP's, because they dont last

HP's previous "body model" for the pavilion was known to get excessively hot. This was due to a few factors such as 1: the CPU fan would go bad, 2: the battery would overheat (which they issued a recall for) 3: some people just didn't know that putting a heat generating object on a heat absorbing object (i.e. blanket) would cause an excess amount of heat

The new "body model" is better about all the above.

wodowooter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wodowooter

As an aside, Ive noticed several comments about "overheating" issues. Absolute best advice and 15-20$ worth of insurance is to buy a good quality cooling pad and run it.

That said, I agree the HPs seem to run hot but Im typing on a 6 year old MSI that pre-cooling pad, you could cook an egg on.

WootMe 3x-BeerMe 2x

Improviz

Nicely tells you why a dual-core running at a higher clock rate is better than this slow piece of quad core qrud.

http://angelaharris.hubpages.com/hub/Dual-Core-Vs-Quad-Core-Processors-Comparison

mikeypeavy

Improviz wrote:You're much better off getting a dual-core (i3 or i5) that runs at a higher clock rate. That is a SLOW CPU and 4 cores all running slow are worse than 2 cores running at 2.4ghz, let's say. for 99% of what you'd use this thing for, anyway.

I'd beg to disagree. Higher clock rate means lower battery life (for the most part). AMD uses significantly less power than Intel (even at the same clock rate). 99% of people who are going to be buying a laptop aren't power users and/or heavy gamers who need 60+ fps. Battery life is whats generally the biggest issue.

redkard24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redkard24

Im skeptical ob buying a refurb, can anyone give there expeience on HP refurg quality?

iridium51

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iridium51

It's 2012...

No flying monkeys
No Bags of Crap
OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLIN' OFF!

sarahkavitski

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sarahkavitski

Will my new leak frog detect the battery acid likely to pour from this thing if I keep one next to it? I hate HP

bmstile

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmstile

lovely movie quote, one of my favorites to bust out.

tomprodehl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomprodehl

Have you ever noticed that when there is a desktop, someone will almost always suggest that you can build a better desktop out of components. But no one claims that they can build a better laptop out of components. Anyone?

mitchloft

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mitchloft

I don't think HP has recovered yet from when they had that broad running the place (into the ground). I would consider other options very thoroughly before buying any consumer grade HP products. Particularly one that had been returned and is being re-sold. With only a 90 day warranty. I have no issues with saying "I told you so" later if you do it anyway.

Those who are always quoting others have nothing to say themselves - Mitch Loftus

fmcwoot

quality posts: 7 Private Messages fmcwoot
jcrestonm wrote:You guys need to stop complaining about the woot off! They sold leak frogs this time!!!!!!!!!!

If time is money, then way too many good people have spent way too much money out here at this site over these last few days. Can't turn back time, but can only regroup and move on.

mitchloft

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mitchloft
tomprodehl wrote:Have you ever noticed that when there is a desktop, someone will almost always suggest that you can build a better desktop out of components. But no one claims that they can build a better laptop out of components. Anyone?

Laptop motherboards can't be bought at your local electronics store. Neither can the screens. Or the flat, compact little low-travel keyboards (although you might find something that could be made to work). You can't get the very thin fans with the side venting enclosures there either. Other than those things, and the necessity of having a specialty shop fabricate a case.... it's easy.

Those who are always quoting others have nothing to say themselves - Mitch Loftus

islidur

quality posts: 3 Private Messages islidur
mechanicsc wrote:
One thing which is not immediately obvious from the pictures is that the 9-cell battery protrudes from the bottom of the laptop -- notice how in the pics that the hinged end of the laptop looks like it is "floating"? That's because the battery protrudes a good 3/4 of an inch from the bottom of the laptop. Not bad if using this on a desk, but not so good when using it on your lap or carrying it in a case. One nice thing about the protruding battery is it can act somewhat like a carrying handle (the metal case is slippery).

I had a Dell Studio 17 that had a protruding battery as well. When using it on my lap, the rigid line of that battery would dig into my legs making it impossible to set it there for very long. BTW, probably not a good idea, but I used mine as a handle too.

nuggy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nuggy
mitchloft wrote:Laptop motherboards can't be bought at your local electronics store. Neither can the screens. Or the flat, compact little low-travel keyboards (although you might find something that could be made to work). You can't get the very thin fans with the side venting enclosures there either. Other than those things, and the necessity of having a specialty shop fabricate a case.... it's easy.

Atlesat this is a better deal than the dual core Sony that they were trying to dump for $499...That was a joke.....

This is a big notebook with power....If this is what you are looking for...Not a bad deal....

It is not the newest technology....But for the price....not a bad deal....

The best of the market is the Mac Book Air....and the best Sony's on the Windows side....

Both are well north of 1K....

So if this is your price point....Not to bad....

pushead111

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pushead111

"Woot is an American Internet retailer based in the Dallas suburb of Carrollton, Texas. Founded by electronics wholesaler Matt Rutledge, it debuted on July 12, 2004. Woot's main website generally offers only one discounted product each day, often a piece of computer hardware or an electronic gadget. Other Woot sites offer one original t-shirt per day, five selections of wine per week, one children's item per day, four deals sponsored by other websites, and one closeout deal per day in cooperation with Yahoo! Shopping. On June 30, 2010, Woot announced an agreement to be acquired by Amazon.com."

Taken from Wikipedia...
The last sentence explains everything.

pushead111

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pushead111

Amazon has done to Woot, what MTV did to Music.

mikeypeavy

nuggy wrote:Atlesat this is a better deal than the dual core Sony that they were trying to dump for $499...That was a joke.....

This is a big notebook with power....If this is what you are looking for...Not a bad deal....

It is not the newest technology....But for the price....not a bad deal....

The best of the market is the Mac Book Air....and the best Sony's on the Windows side....

Both are well north of 1K....

So if this is your price point....Not to bad....

I actually laughed out loud. On the Mac side of things, the Air might be the best on the market. You can't compare Macs and PCs though, because for the price of a Macbook Air, I could buy a rather high end laptop from ASUS or Lenovo with at least double the power/performance and still have enough to buy a 32' TV. Nothing against Macs, everything against Apple's prices.

fourway

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fourway

I am so proud of woot for dispensing with the Barrels of Crud. The hoards of zero woot vulture bargantards that descend on the site crashing the order page and making it impossible for actual woot customers to get what was once offered as a sort of reward for being a loyal customer and paying attention are actually ruining the woot experience.
Hopefully all these parasitic ingrates will go back to eating spray cheese and turning into jabba the hutt in front of HSN and get the hell off my internets.

caskeyme

quality posts: 1 Private Messages caskeyme

I bought a HP and then a Samsung laptop several months ago on woot. Nice deals. The HP was for my son. The only issue I had is the keyboard layout causes me to hit the wrong keys on occasion. I like the Samsung better. This deal is great though for what you get. I love the fingerprint reader to log on. As for the processor...this is a great site that compares them all. This one ranks around the 233 mark.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
Just type in part of the processor number to search......