bootlegger

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bootlegger

How does today's offer compare to Last Dec. offer of:

HP Pavilion Quad-Core Notebook with 17.3” LED & Bluetooth
You ordered 1 HP DV7-4179nr 17" Laptop Quad Core 4GB/640GB/Switchable Graphics/Beats Audo/W7HP/Bluetooth.
which each cost $399.99

is today's worth $120 more?

Black Box Level Seating 100 WOOTS!

cminshall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cminshall

As several others have mentioned, I have made the mistake of purchasing an HP laptop (not refurbished). The first one failed within a year and luckily was (with a lot of hassle and time without a working laptop) able to get a replacement laptop. The replacement, while it works for the most part, always has issues connecting to my wireless network and needs to be rebooted often to work properly. I have detemined that I will never again buy an HP product. Oh, and if you do have to call customer support, you will speak with "Peggy".

lunastrixae

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lunastrixae
letshunt wrote:3-4 Just a pig that didn't even have a cape.

I'm sick of the dust collecting Monkeys. How many does one need? I like my pig, for one...

bmatthew1211

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmatthew1211

Ive got a DV7 with these specs except for the AMD. Mine has an i5 processor which runs very well. Only complaint is that the keyboard is crappy. Space bar is going out. Also, the Beats Audio System is a joke.

sl8763

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sl8763
tomprodehl wrote:Have you ever noticed that when there is a desktop, someone will almost always suggest that you can build a better desktop out of components. But no one claims that they can build a better laptop out of components. Anyone?

Point us to a site that sells laptop components (No, eBay doesn't count) that are compatible with each other in the same way that desktop components are.

kcleveland3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcleveland3

can you play sims 3 on it? thats all i really care about.

mhmank

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mhmank

I have an HP 8440p EliteBook that is provided by my employer and it has worked just fine for over a year and a half now. I got it in October of 2010. I find HP to be reliable. Oh and the make great printers too.

ryanrules23

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ryanrules23
kcleveland3 wrote:can you play sims 3 on it? thats all i really care about.

I'm almost sure you could, though I'd never suggest buying a Laptop solely for gaming. I would get a desktop for that.

lttj67o3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lttj67o3
brucedoesbms wrote:This is radically absurd... you back up none of your allegations with any readily identifiable scientific procedures... Flipping things open and taping things down is not what I would call adequate technological servicing. If you are so disgruntled working with a specific product, then why don't you simply say, "I don't feel justified working on this particular product and suggest you return it to the manufacturer."?...

I found the post very helpful. I have many years and appreciated the insightful suggestions

wodowooter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wodowooter
jcrestonm wrote:You guys need to stop complaining about the woot off! They sold leak frogs this time!!!!!!!!!!

fmcwoot wrote:

If time is money, then way too many good people have spent way too much money out here at this site over these last few days. Can't turn back time, but can only regroup and move on.

bwhahahaha

and I got some...when I first heard "leak frogs", I thought it was just a bunch of wOOters hee-hawing LeapPad.

Little did I know...

WootMe 3x-BeerMe 2x

voodoowing

quality posts: 1 Private Messages voodoowing
rollscanardly wrote:The touchpad has a handy feature - you can double-tap at the top left corner to disable it or re-enable it. That prevents odd cursor movements when typing.

It's weird. In your post on the forum you say the top left cornrer, but in the quality posts you are quoted as saying the top right corner. Anyway, you're right. It's the top left corner.

chardonay

quality posts: 29 Private Messages chardonay

it's not the first woot off with no Bananas or Cucumbers.. and it won't be the last.. and for those of you complaining about no flying monkeys... I will part with mine, before the TV show hoarders arrives at my door and demands to look in the woot room!

What Contemptible Scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch??

bunchesofroses

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bunchesofroses
brucedoesbms wrote:This is radically absurd... you back up none of your allegations with any readily identifiable scientific procedures... Flipping things open and taping things down is not what I would call adequate technological servicing. If you are so disgruntled working with a specific product, then why don't you simply say, "I don't feel justified working on this particular product and suggest you return it to the manufacturer."?...

Little do you know, that HPs are already held together with tape! I've been working specifically on HPs/Compaqs for 3+ years. Some of the MFR approved fixes involve taping or gluing things instead of replacing them.

You can't fix something that has a MFR defect when you aren't provided with a new, adequate part.

bunchesofroses

andrewhime wrote:Not to mention he talks about a Core i7 when that is clearly not what's in this laptop.

It isn't, no, however I did mention that it is included in select models. There are several HPs series that have either AMD or Intel in the same series, and honestly the Intels cause less problems than the AMD procs do. It was just a statement. I'm warning you off of the series in general, not this one model in the series.

rakolina

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rakolina

What is the actual model number?

bunchesofroses

rrhour wrote:Hi,

From personal experience, I just want to say the following:

1) Do NOT BUY HP laptops
2) Do NOT BUY HP Pavilion dv-7 series laptops
3) Please, for the love of god do NOT buy a REFURB HP dv-7 laptop.

I have owned and am currently, barely, using a HP dv7-2185dx. In the 3ish years that I first bought it brand new, I've had to (thankfully for free from 3rd party extended warranty) replace almost everything. This includes everything affected from heat produced by the laptop, including the motherboard, fan, and graphics card, screen, keyboard, and battery.

After much research myself, I learned that HP dv7 series laptops are notorious for overheating problems and for basically a series of design flaws that lead to things such as static electricity overloading the "volume-touch" buttons on top of the keyboard. I even recall a lawsuit was being started last time I looked. And you can bet HP won't give a damn about your problems. I could write a book on the headaches this thing has caused me, but I'll just leave it as saying that the repair place I bring it into will basically give me another laptop the next time this thing decides to explode/stop working on me.

Please buy something, anything other than an HP laptop. Seriously, buy those energy packs or a spatula or something. And if you do buy a REFURBISHED HP DV7, well I hope someone has mercy on your poor soul.

HP Overheat google search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hp+dv7+overheating+issues&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&sclient=psy-ab&q=HP+Pavilion+dv7+overheat&pbx=1&oq=HP+Pavilion+dv7+overheat&aq=f&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=65572l66160l2l66477l4l4l0l0l0l1l289l650l0.3.1l4l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=ac7a725a7b565edc&biw=1600&bih=743

This.

There are several different generations of the dv7 series, and they still haven't figured out how to make one that works, including this newest generation.

I've been called a disgruntled worker, however, I have experience with ALL types of laptops, HPs are just my specialty. They all have issues, but I can promise you, HP has the worst, and most extensive issues, of all laptops, across all of their series.

bunchesofroses

BlkSwanPres wrote:So you guys have a lot of Intel i7's with AMD graphics cores?

Sorry! Typo. I was trying to put a lot of information into one post. :P

ScoopLV

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ScoopLV
tomprodehl wrote:Have you ever noticed that when there is a desktop, someone will almost always suggest that you can build a better desktop out of components. But no one claims that they can build a better laptop out of components. Anyone?

Desktops are the 1955 Chevy of computers -- big, roomy and easy to work on.

Laptops are the 2011 Nissan of computers -- small, complicated, and you'd better be triple-jointed if you expect to be able to change an oil filter without using a proprietary $300 tool.

lichme

quality posts: 2761 Private Messages lichme
rakolina wrote:What is the actual model number?

Looks an awful lot like this one

HP Website

Model #: dv7-6b57nr A1T85UA#ABA

adowding

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adowding

screen res is too low

rakolina

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rakolina

FYI I have the dv7-1245dx refurb, bought on woot in March 2009. It is great, still going strong. The only upgrade I ever did was an ssd.

jeremytheindian

quality posts: 17 Private Messages jeremytheindian
sensenigk wrote:I don't expect a bandolier of carrots every wootoff. But I do expect a happy ending! No screaming monkeys, no woot off lights, no nothing? Kinda leaves me limp.

THIS

Wootx16-Winex1-Kidsx13-Shirtx20-Selloutx8-Homex1-BOCx2

ScoopLV

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ScoopLV
sensenigk wrote:I don't expect a bandolier of carrots every wootoff. But I do expect a happy ending! No screaming monkeys, no woot off lights, no nothing? Kinda leaves me limp.

See, I don't care about any of that crap. Some wootoffs, I buy nothing, because it's all junk. (Junk is, naturally, in the eye of the beholder.( But sometimes there's a few things I like, or need, and I buy. It's that simple.

No monkeys, no lights, no toys for me. Woot can get rid of all that crap permanently as far as I'm concerned -- if it means there will be more useful "grown-up" things offered for sale.

Werebear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Werebear
rakolina wrote:FYI I have the dv7-1245dx refurb, bought on woot in March 2009. It is great, still going strong. The only upgrade I ever did was an ssd.

Hate to be a "me too", but I also got the same model, probably about the same time, and my wife has been using it a couple of hours every day with no failures. Only issue has been with Vista, and I think an upgrade would fix that.

hail2skins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hail2skins

This may be answered, but I gotta ask hoping for one of you sharp cats to save me the time of looking it up as I'm running out the door.

But, I play WoW.

Will THIS do that?

I know integrated graphics cards and not and blah, blah. I can figure it out, but prefer someone to just say, yes or no and save me the time .

eraten

quality posts: 9 Private Messages eraten

I love having to filter through the 300 post woot-off comments to find useful information about this woot. Thanks guys.

indytycoon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages indytycoon

Hey Woot! How about passing along the part numbers of these...

fjohnette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fjohnette

A woot-off isn't a woot-off without the Barrels of Crud This saddens me immensely.

indytycoon

eraten wrote:I love having to filter through the 300 post woot-off comments to find useful information about this woot. Thanks guys.

Agreed...

ryanrules23

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ryanrules23
hail2skins wrote:This may be answered, but I gotta ask hoping for one of you sharp cats to save me the time of looking it up as I'm running out the door.

But, I play WoW.

Will THIS do that?

I know integrated graphics cards and not and blah, blah. I can figure it out, but prefer someone to just say, yes or no and save me the time .

Yes it can. I played with less ram, and a worse processor.

You won't be able to run the best graphics, but this computer will play it easily.

richmondhokie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages richmondhokie
DutrowLLC wrote:I gotta jump in and support this deal. I searched on newegg.com and couldn't find anything nearly as good.

17.3 inch screen
8gb RAM
750GB hard drive
Blu-ray
Quad-core processor

I guess the 1.4ghz sounds slow. But its a Quad-core, that means 4 processors running at 1.4ghz. That's more raw processing power than a dual-core at 2.4ghz.

Other than that, its got a ton of RAM. Also the hard drive is pretty big for a laptop.

The kicker for this laptop is that it has two hard drive bays. That means you can get an SSD drive to run your operating system off of and then use the 750gb it comes with as an auxiliary hard drive.

There may be some desktops with specs like these in this price range, but I haven't seen any laptops.

The thing you gotta remember is this laptop isn't for most people. Its big and heavy. Its for people who don't mind carrying around a big, heavy laptop in exchange for dual hard drives and big screen.

It has a bay for another drive, but you will have to buy the internal carrier to actually hook up the drive.

richmondhokie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages richmondhokie
dollarmtn wrote:There has always been a Barrels of Crud on woot offs .... ALWAYS

Jan 25, 2011 5:31 PM
Mar 9, 2011 5:05 PM
Apr 1, 2011 - 10 Bags of Crap
Apr 6, 2011 - No Bag of Cuuuuuuuuuute!
May 11, 2011 5:40 PM
Jun 15, 2011 3:49 PM
Jul 14, 2011 - No Bag of Cuuuuuuuuuute!
Aug 17, 2011 3:16 PM
Sep 14, 2011 2:20 PM
Oct 12, 2011 3:57 PM
Nov 9, 2011 3:51 PM
Dec 6, 2011 4:34 PM
Jan 19, 2012 1:37 PM
Feb 23,2012 - No Bag of Cuuuuuuuuuute!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
indytycoon wrote:Agreed...

Sorry about that, we're trying to spotlight the helpful stuff as much as we can though. Thanks for hanging with the thread regardless!

I'm just hanging out, really.

Dman27

quality posts: 32 Private Messages Dman27

I have the 15.6" model, with all the upgrades of course, and have had to send it in once already and get blue screens all the time... I was expecting something a lot better...

Although I can say if you are choosing colors go with the silver, there is a reason they charge more for it. I have an older HP in black and it shows fingerprints and attacks dust. The silver is more like a brushed metal

B a g of crap: 8.5 & still waiting for that letter!!!
Woots: 30
Shirt Woots: 8

~DMan27~

indytycoon

inkycatz wrote:Sorry about that, we're trying to spotlight the helpful stuff as much as we can though. Thanks for hanging with the thread regardless!

Thanks, I know it's rough.

darktide00

quality posts: 4 Private Messages darktide00

Bye Woot....

I told you not to bother me while I'm cleaning my Room!

hou1ref

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hou1ref

what happened to the bag o crap??? did I miss it???

Renee Fillingim

KidKobun

quality posts: 6 Private Messages KidKobun

No Bag of Cuuuuuuuuuute!!?
This what I have to say about that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85LUuF6ZXaU

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
KidKobun wrote:No Bag of Cuuuuuuuuuute!!?
This what I have to say about that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85LUuF6ZXaU

hou1ref wrote:what happened to the bag o crap??? did I miss it???

Whups, looks like you'll need to wander this way for discussion about that, we're here to talk about the Notebook up for sale.

I'm just hanging out, really.

DrAzzy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DrAzzy

This machine would make a great gift for the older generation.

The gigantic screen, that runs at a resolution offered by your finer 13.3 inch laptops, is perfect for people with aging eyes, for whom the detail offered by a true HD screen would be difficult to read.

Likewise, the processor, which is too slow for gaming, will work fine for email, productivity applications, and web browsing.

Finally, the fact that it's a 17 inch laptop, and hence not really portable at all isn't an issue, because most older individuals do not live a mobile life like we do. They don't want to do their computing from a cafe or a friend's house. And unlike a desktop, there are no cables to have trouble connecting.