Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
ThunderThighs wrote:Spelling Challenge by Oxford Dictionary

Be sure to choose US English.

Is it bad that I did the same on each version? Heh. Yay, me!

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 570 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Mavyn wrote:Is it bad that I did the same on each version? Heh. Yay, me!

Show off.

I missed one. Deceive

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Anorion

quality posts: 36 Private Messages Anorion
FenStar wrote:Is there an easy way to use the newest Ubuntu distro without having the stupid OSX style and "menus" that make no sense at all? Or should I switch to SUSE or something?

I switched to OpenSuse and haven't looked back. I suggest you do the same. Or switch to Windows 7. It actually is really nice.

ThunderThighs wrote:Sorry, I just did my walk and haven't showered yet. I'll hop in now. That should help things.

UPDATE: Ok, things should start improving now.

Ah, that explains it.

EDITUS: Actually, no it doesn't. I live south of you!

Certified Linux Chemist Guy.
If I hated Apple products any more than I do, I'd be on lists.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
dougall wrote:edit: you can change themes, not 100% sure about getting menus in the application window rather than the top of the screen.

Hmm... I really don't like that either.
I had found what you are mentioning, but it isn't really fixing the mew UI, you are just using an older one, which sooner or later is going to lead to compatibility issues I am guessing.

// rant I don't understand the need to change something that works well into something that is harder to use. I just want things back exactly the way they were. My main PC has windows 7, my laptop has lucid, my netbook has XP, they are all used about the same way.
My parent's computer had lucid, but it died and I am replacing parts so I figured I would upgrade. When I try to use 11.10 I get so aggravated I can't do anything. I prefer not to use the terminal, and I know my parent's would never be able to learn how to use the terminal. I want to hurt people when I use 11.10.

Still single, can't imagine why.

FenStar

Anorion wrote:I switched to OpenSuse and haven't looked back. I suggest you do the same. Or switch to Windows 7. It actually is really nice.

Which is great until windows 8 comes out.
I like 7, but what I don't like is paying $200 for it when Linux will do everything my parents need it to do, as they don't play video games. I'll try openSUSE.
I also don't need more than one computer to play games on, but I do need more than one computer.

dougall

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall
FenStar wrote:Hmm... I really don't like that either.
I had found what you are mentioning, but it isn't really fixing the mew UI, you are just using an older one, which sooner or later is going to lead to compatibility issues I am guessing.

// rant I don't understand the need to change something that works well into something that is harder to use. I just want things back exactly the way they were. My main PC has windows 7, my laptop has lucid, my netbook has XP, they are all used about the same way.
My parent's computer had lucid, but it died and I am replacing parts so I figured I would upgrade. When I try to use 11.10 I get so aggravated I can't do anything. I prefer not to use the terminal, and I know my parent's would never be able to learn how to use the terminal. I want to hurt people when I use 11.10.

Unity with Oneric was painful for me, I had been used to the change in application menus, but not the removal of gnome itself.

Unity becomes much more usable, or at least not so cumbersome, with Precise. But Gnome shell is still being developed, and isn't about to die.

I'm pretty sure it's still the primary UI for Mint, hence the suggestion. Mint was forked from Ubuntu way back when, so has the same roots, and there shouldn't be as much of a learning curve.

Otherwise I've always quite enjoyed Sabayon, Haven't enjoyed SuSE since the 20th century.

Mavyn

ThunderThighs wrote:Show off.

I missed one. Deceive

On the fiendish level, I missed 3. On tricky and difficult, I was 15/15.

Anorion

FenStar wrote:Which is great until windows 8 comes out.
I like 7, but what I don't like is paying $200 for it when Linux will do everything my parents need it to do, as they don't play video games. I'll try openSUSE.
I also don't need more than one computer to play games on, but I do need more than one computer.

Eh, MS has said that Windows 7 will be around for a long, long time after Win8 comes out. I mean, probably 10-15 years, like XP has. Don't worry about 7 disappearing ANY time soo. Businesses like it, and I doubt that Metro will be as productivity-friendly as the current desktop metaphor is.

But I use Suse for my parents' computer as well. Means when I go to visit, I actually get to visit instead of spending the whole time cleaning up the crap they pick up.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

Home again, home again, jiggidy-jig. Did you miss me? Did I miss anything?

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista

I can't remember the last time I used the gui for a linux distro.... Yes, my laptop uses Win7.

My server uses Ubuntu, but I've never plugged a monitor in.

Mayvn, thanks for checking on the subtitles. Orc isn't sure there is a way to check without downloading a vid, and we don't have prime just yet. It's amazing how many places don't offer subtitles (Syfy in the US is HORRIBLE - most of the DVD/Blurays don't even have subtitles as an option).

I need a weekend, I mean I know we just had one and all, but I spent the whole time getting Ver1's science fair stuff finished with her... and the weekend before that was crazy busy too. My house needs a good clean, I need to get work done, and I'm too dang tired to do a thing. Maybe I'll go take a long hot shower, won't help the Texas air, but I'll feel better after.

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

KtCallista

pooflady wrote:Home again, home again, jiggidy-jig. Did you miss me? Did I miss anything?

dname was going absolu-farkin'-loopy without you! That and woot's been down more than it's been up the last couple.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

inkycatz wrote:I think there are good things to be said for a healthy dose of grumpiness.

(I might be biased, since I'm wearing my "Grumpy" sweater today. No really, in a former life it came from a Disneyland Resort and has "grumpy" spelled out on the front.)

Tell shirt they need to reprint this one.

http://shirt.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=3723

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:Home again, home again, jiggidy-jig. Did you miss me? Did I miss anything?

Tuesday? I thought you were coming on thursday.

Welcome back!!!!!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
dontwantaname wrote:Tell shirt they need to reprint this one.

http://shirt.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=3723

agingdragqueen has more influence on that front, alas.

I'm just hanging out, really.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
dontwantaname wrote:Tuesday? I thought you were coming on thursday.

Welcome back!!!!!

Try not to wet yourself!

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

Mavyn

KtCallista wrote:

Mayvn, thanks for checking on the subtitles. Orc isn't sure there is a way to check without downloading a vid, and we don't have prime just yet. It's amazing how many places don't offer subtitles (Syfy in the US is HORRIBLE - most of the DVD/Blurays don't even have subtitles as an option).

I looked. Couldn't see any option...but I submitted a question to find out.

ThunderThighs

Staff

WELCOME HOME!

AZGman wrote:Try not to wet yourself!

LOL. Chuckled outloud there. Maybe COL....

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

Anorion wrote:Eh, MS has said that Windows 7 will be around for a long, long time after Win8 comes out. I mean, probably 10-15 years, like XP has. Don't worry about 7 disappearing ANY time soo. Businesses like it, and I doubt that Metro will be as productivity-friendly as the current desktop metaphor is.

But I use Suse for my parents' computer as well. Means when I go to visit, I actually get to visit instead of spending the whole time cleaning up the crap they pick up.

Agreed on Win8... plus education can't afford to upgrade with each version either. I think Win7 will be the one that they'll have to oust in a few years.

FEN: You should be able to get student discounts for the software.

FORUM MODERATOR

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote:Tuesday? I thought you were coming on thursday.

Welcome back!!!!!

Thank you.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:Thank you.

Did you come home alone? No visitors?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
ThunderThighs wrote:LOL. Chuckled outloud there. Maybe COL....

not snerk out loud?

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote:Did you come home alone? No visitors?

Alone. Except one of the kids left their jacket in my car that I have to send back.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:not snerk out loud?

Some people are nicer than you.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

Anorion

ThunderThighs wrote:Agreed on Win8... plus education can't afford to upgrade with each version either. I think Win7 will be the one that they'll have to oust in a few years.

Indeed. The Microsoft Store for Education has Win7Pro license keys for $60.

KtCallista

Mavyn wrote:I looked. Couldn't see any option...but I submitted a question to find out.

Thanks for doing that. PBS didn't subtitle Downton on Hulu, but they did on their player. They are making Hulu offer the subtitles Orc's even had someone tell him they didn't realize that people NEEDED the subtitles, they thought they for when you wanted to watch something with the sound really low, therefore, optional.

Anorion

KtCallista wrote:Thanks for doing that. PBS didn't subtitle Downton on Hulu, but they did on their player. They are making Hulu offer the subtitles Orc's even had someone tell him they didn't realize that people NEEDED the subtitles, they thought they for when you wanted to watch something with the sound really low, therefore, optional.

People like that make my brain hurt...

FenStar

ThunderThighs wrote:Agreed on Win8... plus education can't afford to upgrade with each version either. I think Win7 will be the one that they'll have to oust in a few years.

Anorion wrote:Indeed. The Microsoft Store for Education has Win7Pro license keys for $60.

I can actually get it for free, but I'm not ready to abandon Linux at this point.

FenStar

KtCallista wrote:Orc's even had someone tell him they didn't realize that people NEEDED the subtitles, they thought they for when you wanted to watch something with the sound really low, therefore, optional.

I don't have hearing problems, but I find a lot of shows have the background noise/music about 20 dB above the conversations the actors are having, so w/o subtitles I can't tell what is going on.

FenStar

I don't think amazon has "the ability" to stream CC. I looked it up a bit ago to see and that was what I found. Overall I have been disappointed with amazon instant video.

KtCallista

FenStar wrote:I don't think amazon has "the ability" to stream CC. I looked it up a bit ago to see and that was what I found. Overall I have been disappointed with amazon instant video.

That could kill prime for me.... I hope you're wrong, or that they've changed.

We order just enough to rationalize prime, but only if our spending doesn't change. So we are borderline for getting prime. You don't get enough free books each month to make that a draw.

KtCallista

Anorion wrote:People like that make my brain hurt...

The head down and navel gazing of some people is astounding. They really do live in their own bubbles, and it becomes obvious when they tend to open their mouths. I only hope that my ignorance of the world doesn't make me sound the same.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Son passes a cake outlet store on his way to work.
Maybe he never saw it before, but we have a tower of cake in the kitchen.
These are bakery stuff made for supermarkets. A well known brand in the ny area.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
dontwantaname wrote:Some people are nicer than you.

chuckling is nicer than snerking?

klozitshoper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klozitshoper

HI all. Some people in here are speaking in foreign tongues. I started getting a headache and began that familiar pit-of-the-stomach realization that I am obsolete.

Welcome back Poof.

KtCallista

klozitshoper wrote:HI all. Some people in here are speaking in foreign tongues. I started getting a headache and began that familiar pit-of-the-stomach realization that I am obsolete.

Welcome back Poof.

It doesn't happen that often. Just share something that predates all of us and we'll feel equally isolated.

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback
klozitshoper wrote:Fond memories of the exact same thing!!

----------

Morning all

Ice - did the dog have kennel cough? Did not find a post with diagnosis.

Yes, that's what the vet says,despite being vaccinated against it.

Good to have you back Poof, not that I won't miss D'names whining.

In the end only kindness matters

klozitshoper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klozitshoper
KtCallista wrote:It doesn't happen that often. Just share something that predates all of us and we'll feel equally isolated.

Would my teletype machine do it?

Mavyn

Iceback wrote:Yes, that's what the vet says,despite being vacinated against it.

Meant to ask. How long had he been vaccinated before he went in? I was reading through a few things and it seems the vaccine isn't that reliable.

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback
Mavyn wrote:Meant to ask. How long had he been vaccinated before he went in? I was reading through a few things and it seems the vaccine isn't that reliable.

A week I think, vet said the same thing...after it didn't work

In the end only kindness matters

Mavyn

Sadly, kennels require it. My vet in Wyoming always said that if the dog wasn't going to be kenneled, not to get it. Then, in CA, the vet clinic was the boarding kennel, so...Yeah. Bummer. But, should clear up in a 10 days or so. Poor pup.