Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback
Mavyn wrote:Sadly, kennels require it. My vet in Wyoming always said that if the dog wasn't going to be kenneled, not to get it. Then, in CA, the vet clinic was the boarding kennel, so...Yeah. Bummer. But, should clear up in a 10 days or so. Poor pup.

Yeah, that's why we got him the shot, poor little fella.

In the end only kindness matters

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Mavyn wrote:Meant to ask. How long had he been vaccinated before he went in? I was reading through a few things and it seems the vaccine isn't that reliable.

It is suppose to be good for a year, but even the vet said get it every 6 months.
Rusty goes to dog parks and nose to nose with a bunch of other dogs every day, so if it is going around, he would get it without the shot.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
dontwantaname wrote:It is suppose to be good for a year, but even the vet said get it every 6 months.
Rusty goes to dog parks and nose to nose with a bunch of other dogs every day, so if it is going around, he would get it without the shot.

Good for, yes. But it takes time from shot til immunity.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista

Ver1 did well on her science fair evaluation. She got very high marks and the primary suggestion for improvement was one of the things we thought about doing, but couldn't because the materials we used for the experiment belonged to my parents and they don't live here, and I don't actually have a cheap flashlight I don't care about that I can tie on a rope. (they suggested setting up the experiment as part of the display).

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

KtCallista

Hey all, I don't want to sink the thread back into the depressing, but could ya all give some prayers/warm thoughts for my mother-in-law tonight. We were just informed that she found her husband dead in the house after she returned from running errands today. No body really knows anything - or at least those who do haven't worked the phone tree down to us yet. This is a total shock to all of us. It is my mother-in-law's mother that Orc went to say goodbye to in January, when I answered the phone that's who I thought the call would be about.

Iceback

KtCallista wrote:Hey all, I don't want to sink the thread back into the depressing, but could ya all give some prayers/warm thoughts for my mother-in-law tonight. We were just informed that she found her husband dead in the house after she returned from running errands today. No body really knows anything - or at least those who do haven't worked the phone tree down to us yet. This is a total shock to all of us. It is my mother-in-law's mother that Orc went to say goodbye to in January, when I answered the phone that's who I thought the call would be about.

Both condolences and prayers to Orc and his family

KtCallista

Iceback wrote:Both condolences and prayers to Orc and his family

Thanks Ice.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

KtCallista wrote:Hey all, I don't want to sink the thread back into the depressing, but could ya all give some prayers/warm thoughts for my mother-in-law tonight. We were just informed that she found her husband dead in the house after she returned from running errands today. No body really knows anything - or at least those who do haven't worked the phone tree down to us yet. This is a total shock to all of us. It is my mother-in-law's mother that Orc went to say goodbye to in January, when I answered the phone that's who I thought the call would be about.

How awful. I'm so sorry to hear this. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

I'm so sorry. Thoughts and condolences to Orc and his family.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

KtCallista

Thanks ladies. Orc's been online with his brother so we know a little more, but ....

Orc's father is still alive, but we never see or hear from him. His stepdad was the one who was a grandpa to the kids. We haven't told them yet.

klozitshoper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klozitshoper
KtCallista wrote:Thanks ladies. Orc's been online with his brother so we know a little more, but ....

Orc's father is still alive, but we never see or hear from him. His stepdad was the one who was a grandpa to the kids. We haven't told them yet.

I am so very sorry. Prayers are with you all.

jqubed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jqubed
dontwantaname wrote:LOL, this reminds me of when we use to take the kids to a Japanese restaurant when they were little.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/comics/babyblues.html

The waiter came over and looked at son, who was younger than a year at the time.
He said, "It looks like the rice is eating him!"

Cool restaurant, sat in booths on the floor.

My parents took me to a Japanese restaurant when I was a little kid. They had to take me to the lobby when the chef "set the table on fire" (one of those hibachi grill tricks). It made a lasting impression on me because I still remember it, and a friend who is <2 years younger than me was also there and I remember her being an infant.

ⅉℚ Seventh Annual Woot! Bracketology | I'm Quality Peoples!

Skye — 1997-2007

jqubed

ThunderThighs wrote:Spelling Challenge by Oxford Dictionary

Be sure to choose US English.

awwww heck yeah!

15/15 on Tricky
13/15 on Difficult
12/15 on Fiendish

Skye — 1997-2007

pooflady

Night all. Tomorrow.

jqubed

KtCallista wrote:Thanks for doing that. PBS didn't subtitle Downton on Hulu, but they did on their player. They are making Hulu offer the subtitles Orc's even had someone tell him they didn't realize that people NEEDED the subtitles, they thought they for when you wanted to watch something with the sound really low, therefore, optional.

It's amazing what happens when people work in "TV" but not really in broadcast television. I bet almost no one has heard of Video Description either.

Skye — 1997-2007

jqubed

FenStar wrote:I can actually get it for free, but I'm not ready to abandon Linux at this point.

Dual boot?

Skye — 1997-2007

jqubed

klozitshoper wrote:Would my teletype machine do it?

You have a teletype?!

Skye — 1997-2007

jqubed

Oh no, I'm so sorry. Sudden deaths always seem like the worst.

Skye — 1997-2007

Raining

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Raining

Good Morning Gman
Good Morning Czar
Good Morning Gatzby
Good Morning Cruzer
Good Morning GEG
Good Morning Suarez
Good Morning mwiseman
Good Morning PBL
Good Morning Josephus
Good Morning STLW
Good Morning KT
Good Morning Don't
Good Morning Lynn
Good Morning Mavyn
Good Morning klozitshope
Good Morning no1
Good Morning Ice
Good Morning Ace
Good Morning Poof
Good Morning Callista
Good Morning Orc
Good Morning kdcrosby
Good Morning jqubed
Good Morning Zea3
Good Morning gwp
Good Morning Turken
Good Morning dougall
Good Morning j5
Good Morning inkycatz
Good Morning Fen
Good Morning SnifferSir
Good Morning joyner
Good Morning ThunderThighs
Good Morning lplady
Good Morning holmes dog
Good Morning tennbeekeeper
Good Morning baby bee
Good Morning Ken
Good Morning Aras
Good Morning to everyone else

Iceback

Good morning Rain and all later risers

Mavyn

Morning all. Not feeling well. Going to work from home, hope for improvement.

KTC, Orc, my sympathies.

joyner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner

Good morning everybody! KtC and Orc so sorry,hugs to you all.

cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer

Sorry to hear this, ktc.

GEG and I will keep you guys in our thoughts.

pooflady

Good morning all.

Mayvn, some questions. For some reason (and I'm not the only one), I've never made a decent baked ham. Quit trying years ago. However, I have between 26 and 32 people coming for dinner Easter. So, the question is, do you bake hams? How? Could I do them the day before, slice, and reheat in the oven?

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

Mornin', folks.

Also not feeling well; went to work and had to come home. Been fighting it since Monday.

Best thoughts Orc and kl'ista and family, all.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

Mavyn

pooflady wrote:Good morning all.

Mayvn, some questions. For some reason (and I'm not the only one), I've never made a decent baked ham. Quit trying years ago. However, I have between 26 and 32 people coming for dinner Easter. So, the question is, do you bake hams? How? Could I do them the day before, slice, and reheat in the oven?

I'm not a fan of ham, tbh. My favorites have been the spiral sliced hams from Trader Joes. They're easy--you just warm them for 3-4 hours at about 200F, covered in a roasting pan, then remove, glaze if you like and bump up the heat to bubble the glaze. No messy carving, just set on the side and peel off one slice at a time.

Last ham we had...I'm not sure where it came from. Dougall? Do you recall? It wasn't bad. Same thing-roasting pan, covered in foil, low heat for a few hours. Glaze, bubble, serve.

I definitely wouldn't get one that wasn't spiral sliced, but I'm uber lazy like that.

pooflady

Mavyn wrote:I'm not a fan of ham, tbh. My favorites have been the spiral sliced hams from Trader Joes. They're easy--you just warm them for 3-4 hours at about 200F, covered in a roasting pan, then remove, glaze if you like and bump up the heat to bubble the glaze. No messy carving, just set on the side and peel off one slice at a time.

Last ham we had...I'm not sure where it came from. Dougall? Do you recall? It wasn't bad. Same thing-roasting pan, covered in foil, low heat for a few hours. Glaze, bubble, serve.

I definitely wouldn't get one that wasn't spiral sliced, but I'm uber lazy like that.

LOL - and I absolutely don't like spiral sliced.

dougall

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall
Mavyn wrote:I'm not a fan of ham, tbh. My favorites have been the spiral sliced hams from Trader Joes. They're easy--you just warm them for 3-4 hours at about 200F, covered in a roasting pan, then remove, glaze if you like and bump up the heat to bubble the glaze. No messy carving, just set on the side and peel off one slice at a time.

I thought you always wanted spiral sliced, just for the ease of slicing.

the last one we got was a generic one from shoprite. nothing terribly impressive.

pretty much just follow the directions on the packet, you're normally only reheating, not cooking, put the ham flat sized down, and glaze or season however you'd like.

keep it covered to keep it moist, if you want to caramelize the glaze, turn up the heat and uncover for a few minutes towards the end of the baking.

and heat based on internal temperature, not necessarily on time, the slower the better.

I'm a fan of pineapple rings on the outside, with brown sugar sprinkled liberally on top. Maybe toss a few cored apple halves in the pan too.

cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer
pooflady wrote:LOL - and I absolutely don't like spiral sliced.

What's wrong with a honey baked ham?

Mavyn

pooflady wrote:LOL - and I absolutely don't like spiral sliced.

Why not?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Sorry to hear that news, ktc. Will keep you guys in my thoughts.

Good morning all! Since we appear to be talking about ham, I have to say I'm not against a ham, I like it on or in things, but I don't go out of my way to cook them either. I go out of my way to cook a good corned beef once in a while though, but we're past that applicable season.

Weather is mildly overcast, so I'm gonna call it for evening showers only (which is what happened yesterday). Love that persistent gloom.

I'm just hanging out, really.

Turken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Turken
pooflady wrote:So, the question is, do you bake hams? How? Could I do them the day before, slice, and reheat in the oven?

Another easy option is to heat in a crock-pot w/ some brown sugar.

Super easy, real tasty, and frees up the oven for other baking needs.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

KtCallista wrote:Thanks ladies. Orc's been online with his brother so we know a little more, but ....

Sorry to hear that . Will keep you in my prays.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

jqubed wrote:My parents took me to a Japanese restaurant when I was a little kid. They had to take me to the lobby when the chef "set the table on fire" (one of those hibachi grill tricks). It made a lasting impression on me because I still remember it, and a friend who is <2 years younger than me was also there and I remember her being an infant.

This was just a normal restaurant. No hibachi grill.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

Mavyn

inkycatz wrote:

Weather is mildly overcast, so I'm gonna call it for evening showers only (which is what happened yesterday). Love that persistent gloom.

It's gloomy here, too. Can tell the sun is up, but can't see it. Bleah.

Edit: And now there's a thunderstorm rolling through. Golly!

pooflady

Mavyn wrote:Why not?

The slices are way too thin. Probably the way I grew up because my sister feels the same way. Okay for sandwiches, but not thick enough for a main meal.

pooflady

Turken wrote:Another easy option is to heat in a crock-pot w/ some brown sugar.

Super easy, real tasty, and frees up the oven for other baking needs.

Sounds good, but isn't going to feed 26 people. And I really prefer a bone-in ham, I think they taste better.

Anorion

quality posts: 36 Private Messages Anorion

Dear Morning,

Die.

Sincerely,

Anorion

Certified Linux Chemist Guy.
If I hated Apple products any more than I do, I'd be on lists.

pooflady

It's definitely naptime.

KtCallista

jqubed wrote:It's amazing what happens when people work in "TV" but not really in broadcast television. I bet almost no one has heard of Video Description either.

I have! The woman I go to the movies with sometimes, has a visual impairment. She loves them! One time we rented a movie and she put on the video description and we popped on subtitles for my husband.... needless to say, I didn't miss a thing!