ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jqubed wrote:I don't want to say you lead a boring life, but...

Just wait until you are older.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Morning.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

Mornin', folks.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Morning all.

Reading if you want: Best Buddies: Kids and Pets. It has pictures!

I've finally been able to load pages on the 1940 Census. Needless to say, it was a bit overloaded today. Looks like they removed some of the java features to get it to load faster so more people can use it. YAY.

Found my mom and her parents plus some of their kinfolk. Having found Dad and his parents yet. They moved around a lot so it's going to take a bit longer to hunt them down in Cape Girardeau.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

dougall

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dougall

good morning all.

and happy free cone day.

Mavyn

Looked up my family in the census. Pretty easy for my moms side, since they've been on the same ranch for over 100 years.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Mavyn wrote:Looked up my family in the census. Pretty easy for my moms side, since they've been on the same ranch for over 100 years.

*jealous*

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

GM peeples

move along

Mavyn

ThunderThighs wrote:*jealous*

Don't be. That's about as far as I know. My maternal grandmother was raised in a nearby town, but her parents were Austrian. I am not sure which town so am having Mom look. I actually have some distant cousins that are in Pennsylvania, but I don't know names.

Paternal side, my grandmother's family is in town, but I don't know much about my grandfather's family other than that his mother was married several times--I don't know her maiden name, nor where she was from. My family name is scattered throughout Michegan and the east coast, but I've never met most of them

klozitshoper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klozitshoper

Goo morning all. Off to the optician's office to pick up new glasses. Just a tweak to the script they said, but I needed new lenses because mine had developed a rainbow look to them because of the coating.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Mavyn wrote:Don't be. That's about as far as I know. My maternal grandmother was raised in a nearby town, but her parents were Austrian. I am not sure which town so am having Mom look. I actually have some distant cousins that are in Pennsylvania, but I don't know names.

Paternal side, my grandmother's family is in town, but I don't know much about my grandfather's family other than that his mother was married several times--I don't know her maiden name, nor where she was from. My family name is scattered throughout Michegan and the east coast, but I've never met most of them

I have met so many people through my genealogy. I'm now good friends with my Dad's cousins in Little Rock. I drove to AL to meet the oldest living member of my Dad's mother's family. I just received the newly published works of a "cousin" on my last name. He's been compiling the work for 30 years and finally got it printed this month. He's in his 80s so I'm really glad. I have lots of reading to do!

It also reunited a long lost cousin to my ex's family. I feel really good about that one.

Mavyn

My mom's side is well documented, just not to me. My dad's side---well, there are great uncles that I've only met once or twice in my life. Mom's side tended towards lots of kids, dad's side was mostly 1-2 kids per family.

And now, his line is down to me and my sister. And neither of us is having kids. So.

Hard to be excited about the past when there isn't anyone in the future to care.

Turken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Turken

Morning wootland!

Interesting to hear about the new census data, but personally kinda meh.

Never really been all that excited about meeting new people just because we shared some distant ancestor. Would much rather spend the time and effort developing relationships with people who share similar interests and values.

Case in point - some of y'all here have more access to my personal life through facebook than my own cousins who I only accepted as "friends" out of sheer obligation (and then promptly dropped into "FB purgatory").

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
j5 wrote:GM peeples

What's up?

Good morning folks! Turken, I totally agree with what you just said, so I won't be redundant. :D

I'm just hanging out, really.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRR The old people are after me!!!

Nice lady across the street banged on my window with a cane. (cane, when did she start using a cane??)
She was all upset. She was trying to order meat from Omaha (she gets lots of stuff from them)
She thought she needed to use her AARP card and was wondering why it wasn't working.

So Rusty and I went over, Went through all her cards and found a visa.
So I called and ordered.

Her phone is on the fritz too.

Her son, who lives next door to her doesn't seem to care that he has his elderly (7 years younger than my mom, but we age differently) mom living in a house with no TV and a phone that barely works.

The daughter visited for a week not so long ago and she did nothing about the phone either.

This is a rotary, not even push button. No way in hell can you get her a cell. She would never figure it out.

//sigh

Tomorrow, my mom.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
dontwantaname wrote:Her phone is on the fritz too.

Her son, who lives next door to her doesn't seem to care that he has his elderly (7 years younger than my mom, but we age differently) mom living in a house with no TV and a phone that barely works.

The daughter visited for a week not so long ago and she did nothing about the phone either.

This is a rotary, not even push button. No way in hell can you get her a cell. She would never figure it out.

if she would not be able to figure out a cell phone, which functions essentially the same as a pushbutton phone (push the buttons to call a phone number), what exactly do you expect them to do about the phone? it isn't as if you can call up ma bell and ask for a new rotary phone.

Mavyn

Lots of flea markets will have rotary phones for cheap. Just a thought. Although they usually can just be taken apart and cleaned and work fine.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
dontwantaname wrote:
no1 wrote:it isn't as if you can call up ma bell and ask for a new rotary phone.

There's an app for that

move along

ThunderThighs

Staff

Turken wrote:Morning wootland!

Interesting to hear about the new census data, but personally kinda meh.

Never really been all that excited about meeting new people just because we shared some distant ancestor. Would much rather spend the time and effort developing relationships with people who share similar interests and values.

Case in point - some of y'all here have more access to my personal life through facebook than my own cousins who I only accepted as "friends" out of sheer obligation (and then promptly dropped into "FB purgatory").

I have no living parents or grandparents. My dad's cousins are my extended family. I consider all my "cousins" both friends and family. We do share common interests. I've met people that have stories about my family that I wouldn't have otherwise known. I have pictures now of my grandfather as a child with his parents, my ggg-grandmother, and more. These things weren't in my family for various reasons. I treasure them.

I enjoy the hunt and research involved in genealogy. I learn a lot about history as I work on it. To me, it's fascinating.

no1

j5 wrote:There's an app for that

she can't figure out pushbuttons and you expect her to be able to use a virtual dial? ha.

inkycatz

j5 wrote:There's an app for that

There's an app for everything.

no1

inkycatz wrote:There's an app for everything.

where's the app that shows how apple's competitors can win the tablet wars?

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:if she would not be able to figure out a cell phone, which functions essentially the same as a pushbutton phone (push the buttons to call a phone number), what exactly do you expect them to do about the phone? it isn't as if you can call up ma bell and ask for a new rotary phone.

Problem is most likely in the wires.

Her house, and the one my mom lives in, were wired in the 50's.
I bet they need work and Verizon doesn't care.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

no1

dontwantaname wrote:Problem is most likely in the wires.

Her house, and the one my mom lives in, were wired in the 50's.
I bet they need work and Verizon doesn't care.

iirc the fone company here only cares about wiring up to the house. inside the house is homeowner's responsibility, i.e., costs $ for fixin' up.

Mavyn

Hope the TX folks are safe, hear the weather is getting frisky.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

TT is under a tornado watch.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

TT's east of Dallas and Woot's north. From what I'm reading, the tornadoes were south. I don't know what direction Ice is in, either lives or works.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

Mavyn

My BFF lives in DFW area. She's out of the country right now, so at least I know she's safe.

inkycatz

Mavyn wrote:Hope the TX folks are safe, hear the weather is getting frisky.

Keeping everyone down there in my thoughts!

inkycatz

inkycatz wrote:Keeping everyone down there in my thoughts!

Have some live feed:
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/live-video/

pooflady

Uh-oh, news said through Arlington. That's close to TT.

Looks like one storm on top of Woot.

ThunderThighs

Staff

It's past me now and heading towards HQ.

We got heavy rain and hail. Luckily most of the hail was smallish but there were some random big rocks

http://p.twimg.com/AplErIVCQAMEESX.jpg

Mavyn

And people complain about snow?!

klozitshoper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klozitshoper
ThunderThighs wrote:It's past me now and heading towards HQ.

We got heavy rain and hail. Luckily most of the hail was smallish but there were some random big rocks

Just turned on the Weather Channel. Tractor trailers hurling through the sky - WOW. TT, keep safe.

inkycatz

Mavyn wrote:And people complain about snow?!

Well of course we do. I know at least here it is our version of "a big deal".

Mavyn

I grew up with both blizzards and tornadoes. Blizzards are better.

pooflady

Mavyn wrote:I grew up with both blizzards and tornadoes. Blizzards are better.

Agree. Even hurricaines are better than tornadoes, you have a chance to leave. The only thing as bad as tornadoes are earthquakes.

AZGman

Afternoon, folks. Are all our Texans safe?

AZGman

ThunderThighs wrote:It's past me now and heading towards HQ.

Glad to hear. How are Maisy and cat?

pooflady

Still waiting to hear from Ice.

Woot's okay, they posted pictures on FB.