uberslayer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages uberslayer

how is this compared with Harman Kardon AVR 2600 65W 7.1?

I've been saving my money for that one. Please advise, thank you!

artwire

quality posts: 3 Private Messages artwire

ok, I'm a dummy, and an "Old fashioned" one at that, but if I'm only planning to use it with a standard 2 channel setup, would I use the "front" or the 'center" inputs? Just plain stereo, thank you. I want to replace a really old (still working) receiver, but only using 2 speakers.

Also, I vaguely remember another complaint (not this model) that some receivers force you to use a standard non-HDMI video JUST to set up the menus. (I think that was Yamaha, but figured I'd ask).Any weird stuff like that going on?

brontide

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brontide
artwire wrote:ok, I'm a dummy, and an "Old fashioned" one at that, but if I'm only planning to use it with a standard 2 channel setup, would I use the "front" or the 'center" inputs? Just plain stereo, thank you. I want to replace a really old (still working) receiver, but only using 2 speakers.

2.0 ( aka stereo ) you would hook up to L/R front and set the unit appropriately. Personally I would think about picking up a powered sub as your next upgrade as it makes the biggest difference.

johndirect425

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johndirect425

Does this allow 3-d? I have a Sony DN-1000 and I can't play 3-d through it. I have to connect directly to the tv with XBox. Will the eliminate that and play through the device?

amantiado

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amantiado
whatsamattaU wrote:A bit more:
(Big quoted post)

The first video shows all of the speaker connectors to be banana plugs, but the Woot! site picture shows a combination of banana/spring loaded clips. What's up?

Harpo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Harpo

No equalizer ?

BigCheeze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BigCheeze

I recently purchased the Denon AVR3312CI, it was an upgrade to the 15+ yr old Onkyo I had. So while I can't speak specifically about this model I can say that I LOVE my Denon receiver.

As someone mentioned it doesn't have "High-Mid-Low" settings, but I didn't find any real issue with that, specially after adding a sub.

Just be careful on these entry level model's , they are great for the small speakers (such as satellite speakers) but will do a poor job in powering larger floor standing speakers.

roryred

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roryred
lichme wrote:Don't expect bose type sound from it, however for the price and features, this is a great deal.

So you are saying it will not sound like a $10 clock radio... good.

Moments of weakness: 2007-1, 2008-1, 2009-1, 2011-4, 2012-6

kr4

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kr4
lichme wrote:Don't expect bose type sound from it, however for the price and features, this is a great deal.

I agree and that is greatly in its favor. As another has said, the ultimate determination of sound quality will be the speakers and room. In that regard, this Denon is greatly superior to any Bose because one can easily choose better speakers. Bose is a phantom reference.

Kal

kr4

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kr4

deleted

johngraz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johngraz

This would blow away any Bose product. Not even close as far as a cost/quality ratio as well. Denon, HK and Onkyo all exceed Bose and usually cost considerably less. JMHO of ourse...

cenotaph

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cenotaph
jjfahey wrote:No 5 Channel analog inputs. Fail.

lol. this is an HDMI switcher/amplifier. you can't get DD/DTS over analog inputs. you're looking for a different product. this is a great deal for the basic home theater rig.

it's full of win.

now if you had Katie Kaboomed about the lack of Audyssey MultEQ... maybe you'd have a leg to stand on. but again, i'd point out this is a basic HDMI switcher/amplifier. and for $160 it's a great bargain. just a basic four-channel HDMI switcher itself can run as much as $100.

gkline01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gkline01

If you wanted to use this as stereo (2 channel) and connect an amp. The pre amp connections say for back speakers but can you use for stereo?

sugarprime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sugarprime

jjfahey wrote:No 5 Channel analog inputs. Fail.

"analog inputs" what are those.....(sarcastic font)

abillmann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abillmann

Resistance varies by frequency, so the idea that a speaker is 8 ohms from bottom to top isn't really true. Resistance ratings on speakers should be preceded with the word "Generally."

The reality is that this Denon and practically any modern receiver will do a perfectly fine job with 4-ohm loads all the way through 8-ohm loads -- unless you're constantly playing it at absolutely ear-splitting levels.

Patzoriley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patzoriley

can you hook up 2.1 powered speakers with the computer speaker type input plug to this?

I realize this is not the high end approach, but I'm very happy with those little speakers & the sub woofer.

Also have a pair of full sized speakers.

sneefy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sneefy

When you buy Bose, you're buying the massive advertising budget, not sound quality.

"No highs, no lows? must be Bose."

cerberez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cerberez

Looking in the picture of box contents, what's the thing on the wire under the remote control? Is it a little mic for calibrating the speaker?

I ask because I have 3 not-so-great speakers in my 5.1 system: the center channel, and the two surround speakers... they work but are always a bit too quiet. I'm assuming that a calibration mic could pick up on this and adjust accordingly.

Am I right?

Thanks!

mujimu99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mujimu99
kr4 wrote:Not needed as the Audyssey EQ is more capable than anything you can do by ear.

That's great - except this entry-level unit does NOT have Audyssey MultiEQ...

See this review or this previous comment...

aren582

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aren582

"Bose type Sound'? Bose is not and will never be an audio purist type company, Denon always will be.

BigCheeze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BigCheeze
aren582 wrote:"Bose type Sound'? Bose is not and will never be an audio purist type company, Denon always will be.

Back when I was in college working at Circuit City selling home audio we had a saying "No High's, no low's, THAT'S Bose!"

cerberez

cerberez wrote:Looking in the picture of box contents, what's the thing on the wire under the remote control? Is it a little mic for calibrating the speaker?

I ask because I have 3 not-so-great speakers in my 5.1 system: the center channel, and the two surround speakers... they work but are always a bit too quiet. I'm assuming that a calibration mic could pick up on this and adjust accordingly.

Am I right?

Thanks!

Okay, so it's an antenna, not a mic... Do you have any tips for manually adjusting the speaker levels? I saw how to do it in the user manual, so would you just tweak it until it sounded right to you? That sounds a little frustrating.

whmayfield

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whmayfield

Denon does not list Woot as an authorized dealer:

http://denon.links.channelintelligence.com/pages/prices.asp?sSKU=AVR-1312&nRGID=2262

or here:

http://usa.denon.com/US/WhereToBuy/Pages/OnlineETailers.aspx

Here is where Denon states they will not honor warranty for online sources that are not listed:

http://usa.denon.com/US/WhereToBuy/Pages/DealerSearch.aspx

I like the price, but the reviews for Denon AVR receivers on Amazon have suggested that quality has possibly declined over the last few years. I will sit this one out.

Zambia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zambia

Own similar model. GREAT sound. overly complicated set up and configuration. Once you get it up and running, very nice sound and use.

Chrisman13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Chrisman13

Oh My Gookie! people...the catchy little "no highs no lows-must be Bose" saying has been beaten to DEATH...let it GO...

I use Denon equipment every weekend in a very sturdy DJ rig; no complaints.

trsundown

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trsundown

I own one of these. I did not buy from WOOT, I bought it from Best Buy about a year ago. this is a GREAT entry level receiver. GREAT Sound and a lot of GREAT features. If you've been looking to get into a good 5.1 channel home theater then this is IT! Denon makes a great product and you really cant go wrong with this expecially for that price.

bjake7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bjake7

This is probably a stupid question. But we bought a bose SR 1 sound bar system, and was wondering if this compatible so we have a fm receiver.

gak0090

quality posts: 79 Private Messages gak0090

You can't be serious. My brother-in-law who is an acoustical engineer says that the running joke is "no highs, no lows-> it must be Bose"
It's fine for your average everyday consumer, but I feel this cheap Denon still outclasses Bose.

volunteers27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages volunteers27

Bought this same receiver at Best Buy about a month ago for $220. It has worked great with all my components. I would say this is an excellent price for this reciever. It's easy to expand and add speakers, works with all my HDMI components.

volunteers27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages volunteers27
cerberez wrote:Looking in the picture of box contents, what's the thing on the wire under the remote control? Is it a little mic for calibrating the speaker?

Am I right?

Thanks!

It's the FM antennae for hanging on a wall. The other is the AM loop antennae

olcubmaster

quality posts: 31 Private Messages olcubmaster
johndirect425 wrote:Does this allow 3-d? I have a Sony DN-1000 and I can't play 3-d through it. I have to connect directly to the tv with XBox. Will the eliminate that and play through the device?

Under the features:

■With the advent of 3D media, it is important to own a receiver that recognizes 3D video signals. The AVR-1312 is able to pass through 3D signals from your Blu-ray player, ensuring that the 3D effect doesn’t get lost in translation. It also recognizes signals from 3D television broadcasts

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

Operaman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Operaman

Gonna hook up to my Cerwin Vega D4 Speakers.Looks like it will do just right and left with the larger speaker wire hubs on the rear. If it does not, I will get a nicer 5.1 speaker system, like a H/K. Swap out my Sony SAVA 900 system that I use for my Home Theatre set up.

cerberez

volunteers27 wrote:It's the FM antennae for hanging on a wall. The other is the AM loop antennae

Nuts! Do you think this receiver is still a good choice for my setup (a few weaker speakers mixed into the 5.1)?

Rah55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rah55

I have owned Denon equiment in the past and been very pleased. They continue to be ranked highly by reviewers in such magazines as "Sound and Vision". This is a great deal for the price.

decaman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages decaman

That's a pretty sweet picture of one-quarter of the inputs panel.

ahymowitz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ahymowitz

Denon Warranty????

Since Woot is owned by Amazon now, is it considered an authorized dealer, since Amazon is???

Wootbots -- can we get official clarification???

Thanks.

DennisWKam

quality posts: 22 Private Messages DennisWKam

Staff

ndeans wrote:Is woot an authorized Denon reseller? I know Denon can be very snooty with warranty service if you do not buy your Denon gear from an authorized reseller.

Nice receiver at a great price, but I'll hold out for some in the 3xxx range. My 3806 is doing just fine for now.

We just wanted to confirm that we are an authorized dealer and Denon will assist you with warranty support if needed.

Maybe this time you'll be on the good side of the snooty attitude.

As always, please email us at service@woot.com if need assistance.

daminion2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daminion2

Random question -- looking at this to replace my current Harman Kardon AVR 247 mainly due to the extra HDMI inputs.

Will this pass through the Xbox 360 without down converting the video? That's my biggest gripe with the 247.

Edit: Never mind, doesn't matter since I just realized that there isn't a component input. Will not work in my setup where I need to have a PS3, 360 and Wii hooked up to the TV.

gds

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gds
cerberez wrote:.. Do you have any tips for manually adjusting the speaker levels?

Buy an SPL meter (Sound Pressure Level meter).
Play the test tones from the AVR and use the SPL meter to adjust the volume level of each speaker so they are all the same.
This meter is most common:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12680845

synchrodan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages synchrodan

Any audiophiles out there have a view on this receiver vs:

Onkyo TX-SR309

or

Sony STRDH520 (I know, this is 7.1 -- I mean besides that)

Thanks!