theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
tj willy wrote:Nutrition value looks decent until you learn a serving size is 1 oz.

Sodium is high, but 1 oz of beef jerky can be quite fulfilling actually. It is a great 'pick the best of the worst for you' type snacks.

bradsbrother

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bradsbrother

Usually I go to other sites after midnight, not Woot!, to get my jerk on.

kbeckerphx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kbeckerphx

I tried this sampler last time it was offered, and it was quite a disappointment. Most of the flavors are so over-seasoned that it's hard to tell whether there's meat under all the goop. Be prepared for sky-high sodium and sugar -- check out the numbers here: http://caloriecount.about.com/krave-jerky-nutrition-m11383

oldworldfeel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oldworldfeel
bluejester wrote:CSI Miami

Won't get fooled again!!

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1070 Private Messages whatsamattaU

work break

This is one of previous wine.woot offerings, but this time $2 cheaper at $17.99

http://wine.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4702123

Bye!

ecue

quality posts: 9 Private Messages ecue

I don't mind moist, but this stuff is over the top.

You'll need napkins. Seriously.

I still have some from when I ordered 3 offerings ago. Not recommended.

jchasma

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jchasma
sandbar67 wrote:Do you have anything more digestible? I've got diverticulitis.

Bonus points if you know where that quote is from.

No idea but my grandma says this all the time... Because she actually has it.

rorslmaverick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rorslmaverick

The entire package weighs ~16 oz (1 pound). At $18 a pound, that's a little hard to swallow even if it's gourmet.

markinca

quality posts: 2 Private Messages markinca

ordered these the last time they were on. HATED them. As a couple of posters have mentioned before, most of them are super sticky/gross and the taste is just mediocre, at best. And this is coming from a guy who loves beef jerky. I tried a few of these hoping they would get better but they were all pretty bad - I ended up throwing most of it out.

ruprecht

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ruprecht

Yeah, I had these previously. This stuff is full of sugar and is more candy than jerky.

jamesfparks

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jamesfparks

Don't see any discussion of expiration dates, which is a primary reason for wanting jerky. I need more protein in my survival kit but must be able to LAST.

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DaZoneRanger

This can also be found at Cost Plus World Market and Von's Supermarkets. You might want to try one, before you buy 5. One was enough for me. A cowboy would probably turn his nose up at this stuff. Some people may like it, though, but just not real jerky lovers.

alison653

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alison653
sandbar67 wrote:Do you have anything more digestible? I've got diverticulitis.

Bonus points if you know where that quote is from.

SNL Skit, Bob and Wendy Whiner, played by Joe Piscopo and Robin Duke, ran from 1982-1984.

Jimbobthemonkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jimbobthemonkey

A local place near here makes awesome beef jerky. It is not cheap, but it is very much worth the price.

"Remember what Pat always says, "You may be able to beat our prices, but you can't beat our meat.""

http://www.patsbeefjerky.com/products.php

denalon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages denalon

They taste good, but are loaded with corn syrup and sugar. They're more of a beefy candy than what you'd think jerky is normally like. Tasty, but loaded with sugary carbs.
I can't see buying them again.

alison653

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alison653
markinca wrote:ordered these the last time they were on. HATED them. As a couple of posters have mentioned before, most of them are super sticky/gross and the taste is just mediocre, at best. And this is coming from a guy who loves beef jerky. I tried a few of these hoping they would get better but they were all pretty bad - I ended up throwing most of it out.

In other words, it's something that will likely be a) at the Grocery Outlet, b) offered on Freecycle as an unwanted gift, or c) donated to a food pantry program. The food pantry would probably prefer peanut butter for its clients.

kraveit

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kraveit
theguruguys wrote:Jerky is expensive. The Jacks Links brand I get at wallymart are about $4.00 for 3.25oz. I would assume this is a bit better brand. Has anyone had experience with both?

Biggest difference between Jack Links and Krave - is that Jack Links uses non-domestic meat, uses nitrates and other artificial ingredients. Krave uses no MSG, no artificial flavors and all domestic meat.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
CowboyDann wrote:My first question is *always* Will it fit in my mouth, should I put it in there :P

I'm glad your priorities are properly set.

I'm just hanging out, really.

clintone

quality posts: 12 Private Messages clintone
jaburg wrote:On a more serious note ... $23 a pound seems a bit extreme.

On the surface it does seem pricey. However, take into account that this is for a pound of dried meat which started likely as several pounds before drying. Thus, if you want to assume this started out as 2-3 pounds of meat, the price isn't great, but isn't too excessive.

Having said that, as with other posters, I can't say I'm impressed with the ingredient list. You can make basic jerky with lean meat and a marinade or even plain old soy or teriyaki sauce. I don't see the rationale for tossing in corn syrup. Also, while I defended the price, one can make their own jerky for a fraction of the price and tailor it to their own tastes. I've even used low fat ground turkey, mixed in some marinade, and dried in the oven overnight and come out with very tasty jerky.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
kraveit wrote:Biggest difference between Jack Links and Krave - is that Jack Links uses non-domestic meat, uses nitrates and other artificial ingredients. Krave uses no MSG, no artificial flavors and all domestic meat.

Ooooh, Kraveit? Do I spy a company rep on our forums at this hour?

I'm just hanging out, really.

vixro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages vixro

Had it last time it was around. Too... "wet" of beef jerky. Will be passing this time.

aZTEKv2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aZTEKv2

wife and I REALLY enjoyed this, the "spicy" stuff is really not that spicy, and I really can't eat spicy, just a heads up. i paid 19.99 last time, so looks like it went down 2 bucks, definitely worth getting IMO. I was actually going to join the "Krave Klub" (http://www.kravejerky.com/kraveklub.htm) since we liked it so much (its a monthly delivery service)... but that thing is 30/month, vs this is 20'sh w/shipping... in for 3! thanks again woot! :]

EDIT: as im reading the comments, i will agree this is more sweet and not "real" beef jerky, where you can pretty much taste the meat and nothing else... personally we know this is saturated with sweets and such, but as long as you know you're not eating healthy, you'll be alright, everything is ok in moderation ;]

LAST EDIT: i just remembered something that actually stuck with me, my wife said she had lots of beef jerky cravings while pregnant, but couldnt because of the nitrates, this one doesnt have it... and yes it probably has other stuff, but not nitrates

http://www.kravejerky.com/nutrition.htm

ivanivanovich

quality posts: 24 Private Messages ivanivanovich

I love all-natural modified corn starch, silicon dioxide, sodium benzoate, calcium steorate, vinegar powder, and matlodextrin [sic]!!!

kraveit

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kraveit
jamesfparks wrote:Don't see any discussion of expiration dates, which is a primary reason for wanting jerky. I need more protein in my survival kit but must be able to LAST.

Because no artificial preservatives are used, the best use date is 9 months from purchase. Each bag is a resealable, and once opened should be eaten within a few days.

frshsqzedoj

quality posts: 2 Private Messages frshsqzedoj

Obviously if you buy in bulk you'll get a better deal at Costco or something but the best bang for the buck in quality with good flavor and without preservatives and such is Trader Joe's where regular & teriyaki beef & turkey are $5 for 4 oz and the bison, organic beef is $5 for 3.5 oz.

andrewshead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewshead

I wasn't impressed. I have 4 out of the 5 bags still sitting in my cabinet. Probably going bad now that they've been opened and tasted. I had high hopes, but there was just a little too much of that dog treat smell to them for me to really get into them.

aZTEKv2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aZTEKv2
andrewshead wrote:I wasn't impressed. I have 4 out of the 5 bags still sitting in my cabinet. Probably going bad now that they've been opened and tasted. I had high hopes, but there was just a little too much of that dog treat smell to them for me to really get into them.

your dog must get the gourmet stuff, hahaha, can't say the same here with the treats we give our pup.

thewronggrape

quality posts: 48 Private Messages thewronggrape

What a coincidence—this has been my latest addiction after discovering it 2 weeks ago in my local Vons. It was on sale at an "introductory price" of $4.99 with Vons card, and $5.99 regularly.

I got the Chili Lime and a few days later, the Sweet Chipolte, both of which are beef. They also make turkey jerky and pork jerky.

I can understand what people are saying about this jerky, but I love it.

Some background: I'm a huge meat eater. I don't feel satisfied unless there's some kind of meat in my meal. Love steak, ribs, bacon, and sausages. Also love beef jerky, but not the kind you usually see that I find to be too dry and plasticky. I much prefer Asian beef jerky which often are moist, soft, marinated and flavorful. Krave's just like that. It may not be everybody's cup of tea, but I dig it a lot.

ETA: If you friend them on Facebook, they hold contests on Fridays where you can win free jerky. There's a pack on its way to me for writing a haiku last Friday :-)

ReginaFilangee

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ReginaFilangee
therealjrn wrote:Some of these seem to have a lot of corn syrup in them.

A medical opinion here: yep! <---(that's a highly technical medical term, btw)

WAYYYYYYY too much corn syrup, and in multiple forms (a purposely deceptive, underhanded, and deplorable labeling tactic.) That makes me seriously question the "heart healthy" claim, as corn syrup is an indirect, but consistently significant precursor to intra-arterial cholesterol and subsequent atherosclerosis. In about 50 yrs, I expect the AHA to catch up to what we've known about nutritional biochemistry and physiology for some time now.

May the Crap be with you all!!!

brucedoesbms

quality posts: 158 Private Messages brucedoesbms

Corn syrup, corn syrup, corn syrup... for how many years have we been going over this subject? Corn syrup, as produced for world-wide consumption, is UNSAFE... Please, woot!, why do you insist on offering products produced by unsafe agricultural practices?...

EDIT: I should have said, "Please, Amazon.woot.com, why do you insist on offering products produced by unsafe agricultural practices?...

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "

twod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twod

I've bought this before from here, 3 of them were pretty disgusting, and 2 (Teriyaki and Chipotle) of them were.. alright, but nothing great. definitely wouldn't buy again. I love beef jerky, too.
1/5

ReginaFilangee

Unrelated to the above (apologies if already addressed, as I have not read all the posts yet): not to be a pain in the hiney or anything by making a complaint, but isn't this offering more appropriate to wine.woot???

And I'd like to wish a Happy Pi Day to all!!!

(I mean, if woot.com is going to offer a food product on 3-14, you'd think it could at least be a PIE...or even a pie mix, canned pie filling, etc.....)
Woot needs to hire me and pay me gazillions of nickels to be their marketing consultant/promotions idea gal. (Great aspiration for a surgeon w/ 25 yrs experience, huh? LOL)

lindygrishkoff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lindygrishkoff

Make your "jerky" the South African way (called Biltong). This stuff that is called jerky is gross.

Sliced briskit -
sprinkle with kosher salt, let sit for 45 minutes, then roll in:

1. white wine vinegar
2. lots of dry roasted ground coriander

Hang in fabulously designed box with light bulbs and air vents for a few days.

Now that's the real stuff.

antipode

quality posts: 0 Private Messages antipode

For the cost of this you could get several pounds of flank steak and make a ton more of your own.

I've been using Alton Brown's method of strapping pleated furnace filters to a box fan for the drying process. It works great, and the filters are cheap and reusable.

topfrog56

quality posts: 0 Private Messages topfrog56

The teriyaki flavor is unbearably sweet and has a strangely soft texture. Not your traditional rough, tough jerky!

wolfwood316

quality posts: 8 Private Messages wolfwood316

Dear God Woot!, why do you keep pushing this stuff? It's awful. It's like the jerky version of herpes - it won't kill you, but you still don't want it.

dchauran

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dchauran

I bought this garbage from woot the first time they had it. It was terrible. Soggy, sticky, and the flavors were just awful.

drunkenalien

quality posts: 46 Private Messages drunkenalien

Had the Smoky Grilled Teriyaki Jerky, and I have to say... This shouldn't be classified as jerky. Shouldn't be near the meat department either...

It was so sweet that the teriyaki taste was barely there and the meat or jerky taste was absolutely gone. So it was like eating candied leather.

I had paid so much for it that I kinda forced myself to eat it, and even then I gave up and threw it away.

Sorry must tell the truth.

dchauran

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dchauran
lindygrishkoff wrote:Make your "jerky" the South African way (called Biltong). This stuff that is called jerky is gross.

Sliced briskit -
sprinkle with kosher salt, let sit for 45 minutes, then roll in:

1. white wine vinegar
2. lots of dry roasted ground coriander

Hang in fabulously designed box with light bulbs and air vents for a few days.

Now that's the real stuff.

Sounds awesome. I had South African sausage for lunch. Never knew you could use coriander as such a prominent ingredient but it was darn good.

ReginaFilangee

brucedoesbms wrote:Corn syrup, corn syrup, corn syrup... for how many years have we been going over this subject? Corn syrup, as produced for world-wide consumption, is UNSAFE... Please, woot!, why do you insist on offering products produced by unsafe agricultural practices?...

THANK YOU!!! You are singing my song!

Did you know that the U.S. actually produces more corn per year than could EVER be eaten by the entire population if we ate it every day? And that farmers are PAID by the US g'ment to grow it anyway? And that the US g'ment PAYS processed food manufacturers to include it in their foods in order to use up some of the surplus in an attempt to mitigate their losses? That's a main reason why it's in EVERYTHING (food-wise) that comes in a package. I dare anyone out there to find a package of name-brand or common store-brand bologna, vienna sausages, etc. that DOESN'T contain HFCS. (WHY does bologna need corn syrup....or ANY type of sugar, for that matter?) THAT's the direct, root cause of our nation's obesity and diabetes epidemic, not lack of activity or fat consumption. READ THE LABELS, PEOPLE!!!!! AND REFUSE TO BUY ANYTHING THAT CONTAINS CORN SYRUP OF ANY TYPE!

*hops down off my soapbox now*