3%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Whiskey Stones - Set of 9
$5.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Looked like new contest format working:
Last woot: November 30, 402 comments, $5.99 for 9 (same price tonight)
http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4735063

home woot: November 8, 137 comments:
http://home.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4700262

with product website:
http://www.sparqusa.com/soapstone-ice-rocks/

and Ms. Thighness, if I can't get some sleep because of work, at least you (and InkyCatz) should! Good night! It's not wrong to want rocks, after all,....

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

I'm actually hosting a guessing game of my own over at deals.woot.
Won't you come play?

Edit: dangit Woot-master Whatsamattau beat me to the previous links

sandbar67

quality posts: 14 Private Messages sandbar67

these things rock!

mikecris

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mikecris

Okay got these for a gift for Dad last time. We put them in the freezer for 24 hrs. They did not chill the whiskey anywhere near as cold as ice. Is it even possible that I'm doing something wrong here?

captainsuperdawg

quality posts: 14 Private Messages captainsuperdawg

Who could've forseen this? Oh, right ThunderThighs did.

taythegibs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taythegibs

never used them myself but i have a few friends who swear by these things.

vipermjb

quality posts: 40 Private Messages vipermjb

Do NOT expect this to give your drink an ice-like chill. It shall maintain your temperature...kinda.

mm20

quality posts: 34 Private Messages mm20

I'm not so sure I'm interested in heating and cooling my drinks with rocks. Thanks though.

The 12 days of crap was just that- crap.

It's funny how when Woot! calls their stuff crap, it's ok, but when *YOU* call it crap, *poof* you get banned. Hypocrites.

wilcononomous

quality posts: 20 Private Messages wilcononomous

Bought these last time & love them.
They will sell out.

sellbuyer92

quality posts: 35 Private Messages sellbuyer92

don't work too well...oh well..

Nemesis: Stryper2000 He stole my Big Ole Carrot

teenracer6

quality posts: 59 Private Messages teenracer6

How do these avoid making your drink taste like stones?

ashliz8806 wrote:Going to a Wizards game and being disappointed is like going swimming and getting wet...If you didn't expect it, I'm not sure I trust your judgment.

Smink8063

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Smink8063

I can't believe you keep pushing these rocks!

IdahoCowgirl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages IdahoCowgirl

Soapstone is very, very soft. We use it for carving molds. Do these eventually wear down and away? Also, they are GRAS - Generally Regarded As Safe... What is the not-generally part of that?

"This message is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are not to be considered flaws or defects."

efooter

quality posts: 18 Private Messages efooter

If I paint faces on them, will they make good pets?

draigun

quality posts: 22 Private Messages draigun
IdahoCowgirl wrote:Soapstone is very, very soft. We use it for carving molds. Do these eventually wear down and away? Also, they are GRAS - Generally Regarded As Safe... What is the not-generally part of that?

ninja'd due to server errors. I was wondering this, too.

stvbrwn8

quality posts: 3 Private Messages stvbrwn8

Instead of putting these in the microwave then putting them in your drink, why not just put your drink in the microwave to reheat?

lichme

quality posts: 2785 Private Messages lichme

Gives a literal meaning to Whisky on the rocks

mobiusm1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mobiusm1

Soapstone is 1/4 the specific heat of water, so should generally be expected to only work about 1/4 as well as ice. Does anyone know from experience how well these work in practice for chilling drinks? (especially warm ones?)

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

I bought 3 last time and 3 the time before. At this price these things are great to keep in the closet as a last minute party gift. Everyone who has received these as a gift loved them.

devexityspace

quality posts: 25 Private Messages devexityspace

I used these at my very recent birthday party. (Have bought 2 sets of 3 from Woot so far).

They are the only cold thing I would ever consider putting in my good whiskey!

No one wants to drink watered down 18year Glenlivet... it's just wrong!

Bunnies Ogling Carrots Count: 6
Todd's Dirt: 6
Monkey Count: 3
Woot Lights Count: 1
Leak Frogs: 0

bkd69

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bkd69

I still think you guys need to offer the Whiskey Rocks and Tom's Dirt Seasoning as a set.

Your Woot Is Not My Woot, But Your Woot Is OK.

tekkitan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tekkitan

People that keep saying these don't work don't know what whiskey stones are supposed to do.

It is taboo to put ice in your whiskey. These will "chill" the whiskey, note that chill does not equal "ice cold". Whiskey is supposed to be drank at room temperature, but some people like a little chill to it, hence these stones.

They are not really meant for anything else and not supposed to make whiskey or any drink of yours ice cold.

nm3210

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nm3210

Is Woot trying to tell us something?

February 21st, 2012
January 17th, 2012
December 6th, 2011
November 30th, 2011
November 8th, 2011

Forgive me because some of these are from Woot-offs, but seriously Woot!, you haven't been the same since Amazon bought you.

joelsisk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joelsisk

just saw these on livingsocial today. $9 +shipping for 9. oh, and sales tax in Colorado.

stevesds

quality posts: 18 Private Messages stevesds

I've seen these rocks peddled every where on the internet. Every review is BAD.
They don't keep your drinks cold. They need to be washed before re-use.

ICE, people. Use ICE (until liquid nitrogen tech gets cheaper).

magicwiser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages magicwiser

I bought a set of these last time they were on woot to put in my scotch. However, they pale in comparison to ice. In fact, unless you drink your drink fairly quickly, they are pretty useless.

The only thing that makes these things worth buying is how cool they make your scotch look while you drink it.

jeblis

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jeblis

What you really want is an ice ball.

kevdai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevdai

Yes, this, and the fact that when you are adding ice, it is going to melt thereby diluting the whiskey as well.

wilcononomous

quality posts: 20 Private Messages wilcononomous
IdahoCowgirl wrote:Do these eventually wear down and away?

Don't put them in a blender.

tekkitan

stevesds wrote:I've seen these rocks peddled every where on the internet. Every review is BAD.
They don't keep your drinks cold. They need to be washed before re-use.

ICE, people. Use ICE (until liquid nitrogen tech gets cheaper).

Oh look, another person that doesn't know what whiskey stones are.

Every review is bad because [people] like you buy it and don't know what they are supposed to be for.

[Mod: No name calling, please]

boarder2k7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boarder2k7
mobiusm1 wrote:Soapstone is 1/4 the specific heat of water, so should generally be expected to only work about 1/4 as well as ice. Does anyone know from experience how well these work in practice for chilling drinks? (especially warm ones?)

Don't forget that while the specific heat is 1/4, the stones are also not undergoing a phase change, so they contain immensely less cooling power than ice.

I have some that I cut from spare soapstone I had, and while they do work, I find that just putting the glass in the freezer has the same effect with a lot less effort.

tekkitan

magicwiser wrote:I bought a set of these last time they were on woot to put in my scotch. However, they pale in comparison to ice. In fact, unless you drink your drink fairly quickly, they are pretty useless.

The only thing that makes these things worth buying is how cool they make your scotch look while you drink it.

You would put ice in liquor. Amateur.

daldi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daldi
IdahoCowgirl wrote:Soapstone is very, very soft. We use it for carving molds. Do these eventually wear down and away? Also, they are GRAS - Generally Regarded As Safe... What is the not-generally part of that?

GRAS is an FDA designation that means that the substance, the rocks, to be intentionally added to food, whisky, is safe for humans under the conditions of its intended use.

So, the rocks are safe for chilling/heating drinks. Unless you decide to chew on them. :-D

vixro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages vixro
jeblis wrote:What you really want is an ice ball.

But be warned, ice sphere producing ability doesn’t come cheap. While the 30mm unit is available for a not too unreasonable US$184, the price jumps substantially for the larger sizes. US$1,003 for the 55mm, $1,085 for the 65mm, US$1,113 for the 70mm, and US$1,649 for the 80mm.

I really don't want an ice ball.

gyung

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gyung

These stones are meant to CHILL your whiskey. They are NOT intended for making your drinks cold. You do not generally want to put ice into your good whiskey because by the time you finish, It would be pretty watered down.

If you are chugging your whiskey or have these things hitting your teeth, these are not for you.

I do have an ice sphere mold but it can be a pita to use it sometime, so these stones will serve their purpose much better.

sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100

Don't mistake these Whiskey Stones for ice cubes. These will not cool a warm drink. At best, they'll help keep a cool drink cool longer. if you want a non-diluting ice cube substitute, look elsewhere. These simply don't absorb the amount of heat that most frozen liquids, i.e. water (aka ice), can. You're better off with plastic ice cubes like CoolBlues™ Reusable Ice Cubes.

vipermjb

quality posts: 40 Private Messages vipermjb

I would suggest giving these a good wash before use. The first few times around you may find some filmy flakey stuff in your drink.

GreatestOne

quality posts: 3 Private Messages GreatestOne
nm3210 wrote:Is Woot trying to tell us something?

Forgive me because some of these are from Woot-offs, but seriously Woot!, you haven't been the same since Amazon bought you.

Woots been pretty bad... I remember the old days I almost wanted to buy something every week... not its maybe every 3 months... and the same crap again and again that no one wants anymore... and $12 for rocks? Ya ok.