chrylis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrylis
IdahoCowgirl wrote:Also, they are GRAS - Generally Regarded As Safe... What is the not-generally part of that?

Generally recognized as safe is FDA-speak. I suppose the not-generally would be claims of non-safety that aren't accepted by the scientific community at large (e.g., that fluoride in water is harmful).

tekkitan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tekkitan
GreatestOne wrote:and $12 for rocks? Ya ok.

One item impractical to you is practical to another.

tantris

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tantris
mobiusm1 wrote:Soapstone is 1/4 the specific heat of water, so should generally be expected to only work about 1/4 as well as ice. Does anyone know from experience how well these work in practice for chilling drinks? (especially warm ones?)

And that's not even taking into account that ice melts (latent heat). If you don't want to water it down, stir your whiskey with an ice filled tube..
I didn't find the specific heat for soap stone, but other stones I found were 1/10 that of water. But guess what works just as well as stone? Glass marbles ;)

johnjet6

quality posts: 1 Private Messages johnjet6

I would think in the 40 or so years I have been an adult (ok how bout just legal drinking age) someone would have taught me that the proper way to enjoy my whiskey was to put rocks in it. (Mmmmm earthy but smoothe)

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 506 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

GreatestOne wrote:Woots been pretty bad... I remember the old days I almost wanted to buy something every week... not its maybe every 3 months... and the same crap again and again that no one wants anymore... and $12 for rocks? Ya ok.

HEY NOW! Rocks with a warranty! Let's get it right!

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ •••
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs

sdc100

quality posts: 497 Private Messages sdc100
sdc100 wrote:Don't mistake these Whiskey Stones for ice cubes. These will not cool a warm drink. At best, they'll help keep a cool drink cool longer. if you want a non-diluting ice cube substitute, look elsewhere. These simply don't absorb the amount of heat that most frozen liquids, i.e. water (aka ice), can. You're better off with plastic ice cubes like CoolBlues™ Reusable Ice Cubes.

Or if you don't care about looks, try these Cubies, 30 for $5.39...

mobiusm1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mobiusm1

I think I'll hold out for a piet hein drink cooler or some other form of encapsulated ice cooler which has actual cooling power.

tekkitan

WHISKEY STONES != REPLACEMENT FOR ICE

modelagus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages modelagus

Do you expect someone to tell you that your gift sucks??????????

sdc100

quality posts: 497 Private Messages sdc100
mikecris wrote:Okay got these for a gift for Dad last time. We put them in the freezer for 24 hrs. They did not chill the whiskey anywhere near as cold as ice. Is it even possible that I'm doing something wrong here?

No, you're not. That's a common complaint. Basically, it can chill very low volumes (as in the amount of whiskey you can drink in one swallow) but you're better off with reusable plastic ice cubes.

AlienZulu

quality posts: 11 Private Messages AlienZulu

i have some
i wish they stayed cold longer

ice is 0 degrees C until it's melted
these get warmer and warmer from the time you take them out of the freezer

tekkitan

AlienZulu wrote:i have some
i wish they stayed cold longer

ice is 0 degrees C until it's melted
these get warmer and warmer from the time you take them out of the freezer

Which is why they are not a replacement for ice and aren't meant to make your whiskey ice cold. Only slightly chilled.

These aren't a new product. Whiskey stones have been around for more than a decade and used by whiskey drinkers to chill their whiskey, not water it down to make it ice cold.

jseureau

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jseureau

They even try to sell us rocks!

tehspaz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tehspaz

I quite like them. Don't expect a blizzard in your glass; plus, you can use them for things other than whisky...

In my experience, they stayed cold for over an hour, but, unfortunately, require two hours in the freezer to be ready for use.

Using them for hot drinks just hasn't worked out for me.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 506 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jseureau wrote:They even try to sell us rocks!

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ •••
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs

tekkitan

ThunderThighs wrote:

hahaha you rule TT

Rosewood

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Rosewood

The description caught my eye because I had a lot of friends that went to Hadley and I have a client a few blocks away from Hadley so I drive by there often.

I could see how it could drive you to Whiskey and no, there aren't any nuns. They would be over at Bishop Carroll.

I'll probably buy these just for the Wichita reference alone.

blindavocado

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blindavocado

I would rather have the glasses. Especially if they had the woot! logo on them.

pennster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pennster
mobiusm1 wrote:Soapstone is 1/4 the specific heat of water, so should generally be expected to only work about 1/4 as well as ice. Does anyone know from experience how well these work in practice for chilling drinks? (especially warm ones?)

Actually, the phase change from ice to water is 80 times as efficient as just adding chilled water. So, these should actually be expected to work about 1/300 as well as real ice. Unlikely to be much use at all.

suckblat

quality posts: 2 Private Messages suckblat

Shane MacGowan is from England, not Ireland. But really, would any country want to claim to be the birth place of this guy?

holadayc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages holadayc

I bought a set of 9 (different brand) about 6 months ago and had to throw one of the stones out because a good 1/4 of it fell off.

finster63

quality posts: 0 Private Messages finster63

Disappointed... They really don't chill the whisky much at all.

coldcaffeine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coldcaffeine

I was in for three of these back in November for the same deal. Saved one myself, gifted the other two packs. This price is a STEAL. Elsewhere you're going to find nine rocks for $19.99.

I'm in for three more today!

lstaff

quality posts: 197 Private Messages lstaff

This website has a bit about soapstone, including that it meets Finland's purity standards.
http://www.tulikivi.com/usa-can/fireplaces/Soapstone_Characteristics_Fireplaces

lstaff

quality posts: 197 Private Messages lstaff

I think the value of serving whiskey "On the rocks" is lost on some of the naysayers here.

Also, you can reduce the amount of whiskey you are serving to your guests(fill the whole darn cup with rocks!) and save a larger volume for yourself. Just sayin'.

jorta

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jorta

My son and his cousin set up a rock-selling stand when they were little kids and earned about sixty bucks. I think their people will be contacting Woot's people. BTW, Why does the set consist of 9 rocks? Why not an even number like 8, 10 or 12?

ThePhantasm

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ThePhantasm

these are 20 plus shipping on thinkgeek.com
http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/kitchen/ba37/?srp=1

i just bought 3 sets because 2 will make great gifts. Quality whiskey should NEVER be ice cold. only room temp or with a slight chill. sadly tho, we are raised to think everything needs to be ice cold. which really is only good for things that need to hide the flavor and scent that normally pops at room temp. for example. mass produced carppy beer which when room temp tastes like lama pee, and smells like a skunks butt. you know the ones..

• lotsa woots.. kinda lost track.. LOL

tekkitan

finster63 wrote:Disappointed... They really don't chill the whisky much at all.

Again, they aren't supposed to. People need to know what something is/does before buying it.

tekkitan

jorta wrote:My son and his cousin set up a rock-selling stand when they were little kids and earned about sixty bucks. I think their people will be contacting Woot's people. BTW, Why does the set consist of 9 rocks? Why not an even number like 8, 10 or 12?

Three for each glass...

tekkitan

ThePhantasm wrote:these are 20 plus shipping on thinkgeek.com
http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/kitchen/ba37/?srp=1

i just bought 3 sets because 2 will make great gifts. Quality whiskey should NEVER be ice cold. only room temp or with a slight chill. sadly tho, we are raised to think everything needs to be ice cold. which really is only good for things that need to hide the flavor and scent that normally pops at room temp. for example. mass produced carppy beer which when room temp tastes like lama pee, and smells like a skunks butt. you know the ones..

+1

bagpiper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bagpiper

Rarely have I seen a Woot that I have less desire to acquire.

thedavewsc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thedavewsc
mikecris wrote:Okay got these for a gift for Dad last time. We put them in the freezer for 24 hrs. They did not chill the whiskey anywhere near as cold as ice. Is it even possible that I'm doing something wrong here?

They don't make your drinks ice-cold, or even keep them there. They 'chill' your drinks.

ComradeUlyanov

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ComradeUlyanov

These things are fantastic. They DO wear down over time, but it takes a loooong time. I've had mine in constant use every day for about 5 months now and they still retain over 80% of their shape (only four have been used thus far)

baconsizzle121

quality posts: 1 Private Messages baconsizzle121

Lipton tea? Yuck!
How about some Chai?

Holic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Holic

Seen these a few times now, but it just didn't feel right.

Talk to me, grey goose.

Yeah, let's do this. It's time to take the drinking to the next level.

Wild72

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Wild72

Got some for Christmas, and I can't believe I didn't buy them sooner.

However, you may want to be a little careful as you get to the bottom of your drink, as they can slam down on your mouth and chip a tooth.

mudman2007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mudman2007
nm3210 wrote:Is Woot trying to tell us something?

February 21st, 2012
January 17th, 2012
December 6th, 2011
November 30th, 2011
November 8th, 2011

Forgive me because some of these are from Woot-offs, but seriously Woot!, you haven't been the same since Amazon bought you.

Please buy my worthless rocks so I can make even more monies.

ejeon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ejeon
devexityspace wrote:I used these at my very recent birthday party. (Have bought 2 sets of 3 from Woot so far).

They are the only cold thing I would ever consider putting in my good whiskey!

No one wants to drink watered down 18year Glenlivet... it's just wrong!

I've got news for you... if you're drinking Scotch without a splash of water in it, YOU'RE doing it wrong.

What were they thinking when they invented this crap? Next up from Whiskey Rocks: Vacuum Glass! Make sure no air gets to your wine while you drink it.

awelowynt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awelowynt

I was given a set of these as a gift a while back. I wouldn't buy them at full price, but for the woot price, I'd totally encourage friends to pick up a set, even for the novelty factor alone.

I typically like my scotch at room temperature, but there are a couple bottles I like chilled (Balvenie Doublewood, A'bunadh cask strength).

Highly recommended if you are looking for a gift to give to a whisk(e)y drinker, especially at this price.

Obligatory 'on the rocks' reference.

chgo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chgo

You have to have rocks in your head to buy these rocks.