WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

secrets from the chat

If you follow our Facebook page you might have noticed that last week, our Seattle office had themselves a chili cook-off! Before you panic at the idea of chili from the Pacific Northwest, please remember: our team has a mix of Texans and St. Louisians in the mix. And the chilis came out juuuust fine.

gettin ready

If you want a little more information or you refuse to use Facebook, meet us after the jump and we'll recap the day! With photos!

srs chl

The ladles flew furiously as Seattle's programmers, writers and artistic types moved from the cubicles to the kitchen. This chili competition was big and one of our staff members even brought two different kinds! Almost every type of animal was represented in these crock pots, and boy, were they delicious.

veggie

But fear not, veggie-lovers! We've got vegetarians on staff, so we brought them a no-meat alternative. A crock pot shortage meant they had to use the microwave, but if you had a belly, that belly was gettin' fed. Nobody goes hungry on chili day at Woot!

dining

There was cornbread, extra cornbread, some crackers, shredded cheese and bread. Everyone chose to use a recipe with beans, so chili purists might be aghast, but what's a competition without a huge scandal? After lunch, votes were collected, gathered, counted and announced. Our top three winners got first pick at the prizes (which are totally secret and we can't show them here) but there was a little something for every contestant to thank them for their trouble. And then, the surprise desert.

dessert

You can't see it, but they're pudding filled. Yeah.

Pretty much everyone agreed that chili day was a big success, and that our staff can make some doggone delicious chilis. Which is good, since those leftovers might last us for a month.

pots

If you just can't stare at chili enough, we've got a couple extra photos in our Facebook set. And if you've got an opinion on chili (we know you probably do) don't forget to slide on down to the forums and let us know! Make enough noise and maybe our chefs will share their recipes.

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 120 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

My recipe was okay. Spiced well (I relied a lot on chipotle tabasco which worked out well), but the faux meat will never take in the flavors as well as beef or similar. In the future, I may still add my fake meat, but focus more on beans and other veggies to make it more a stew. I wasn't wholly unhappy, but as a vegetarian Texan- I was already setting myself up for breaking so many of the srs chili rules.

mommyleah

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mommyleah

How fun! And tasty looking chili it is indeed! What I want to know is, what were the super awesome secret prizes? Hmmmmmm...................................

Possibly a Barrels of Crud (Bag o' Chili)!

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
agingdragqueen wrote:My recipe was okay. Spiced well (I relied a lot on chipotle tabasco which worked out well), but the faux meat will never take in the flavors as well as beef or similar. In the future, I may still add my fake meat, but focus more on beans and other veggies to make it more a stew. I wasn't wholly unhappy, but as a vegetarian Texan- I was already setting myself up for breaking so many of the srs chili rules.

You might try marinating the f'meat in adobo and a bit of liquid smoke before putting it in the chili. Honestly, though, I think tempeh is the best substitute in situations like this.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
Gatzby wrote:You might try marinating the f'meat in adobo and a bit of liquid smoke before putting it in the chili. Honestly, though, I think tempeh is the best substitute in situations like this.

Seitan is also a delicious meat-free meat, although it will kill your gluten-free friends.