3%
5%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Ear Force DX11 Gaming Headset
$69.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

megabite6d9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages megabite6d9

Awwww....no roomba or USB toy yet again.

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

Nothing says "comfort" like EAR FORCE.

lichme

quality posts: 2848 Private Messages lichme

Where is the creepy manikin head? You let me down woot.

Although I don't prefer bulky gaming headsets, they do keep the noise interference out.

CharlesP2009

quality posts: 27 Private Messages CharlesP2009

How is the "surround" sound on these headsets?

I've been thinking about getting a gaming headset since my new TV's speakers aren't as good at simulating the surround sound as the ones on my Dell TV were able to.

calebmitchell

quality posts: 64 Private Messages calebmitchell

Woot, I'm a little disappointed that you're selling headsets and Mandy isn't on your page to display them :/

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

There are a lot of components to these headphones. Can you eliminate one and make these PC headphones? or is it XBOX Only?

kagamari

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kagamari

I have a pair of these and I have no regrets of getting them. They are extremely comfortable and have great sound. I don't know exactly what people are saying about surround sound but for gaming purposes on my computer I can generally here exactly where a noise is coming from in game. I would highly recommend them personally.

cwdodson

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cwdodson

When you are looking for an excellent headset, Turtle Beach has it all! I have one and I cannot believe how good it is.

A word of caution: the mic is SUPER (by super I mean extremely) sensitive. Try to keep it out of loud places and mute your mic when you are not using it or mute your TV.

Once, again, though, you can't go wrong with Turtle Beach.

Darksoul13

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Darksoul13

For those times when someone keeps whispering in the background of a conference call....

Silly Rabbit......

ninjadancer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ninjadancer

This headset also comes with the Ear Force DSS 7.1 sound processor which is now discontinued
http://www.amazon.com/Force-Channel-Dolby-Surround-Processor-Mac/dp/B003O0KICS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331960838&sr=8-1 so this woot is pretty good for people lookin for a headset and it can also be used on pc

cwdodson

CharlesP2009 wrote:How is the "surround" sound on these headsets?

I've been thinking about getting a gaming headset since my new TV's speakers aren't as good at simulating the surround sound as the ones on my Dell TV were able to.

It feels like you are literally immersed in the game. Much better than the speakers I have and I thought my speakers were pretty darn good.

nickelmedia

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nickelmedia

According to their site, this headset also works with PC!

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/legacy-products/ear-force-dx11.aspx

cwdodson

CowboyDann wrote:There are a lot of components to these headphones. Can you eliminate one and make these PC headphones? or is it XBOX Only?

It's designed for XBox, but they make great PC headphones. Can't speak for your setup, but it works with most.

buysumtime

quality posts: 3 Private Messages buysumtime

I have personally tried this setup before, and it wasn't worth the money. I got a brand new set from best buy (same setup that included the DSS)for 79.99 on sale. Returned it a day later. The headsets are ok, but the surround sound processor worked poorly. Produced more of an echo sound. Could not located distinct sounds at all. The worst thing about headphone setups for surround sound is that the center channel(or virtual one)always seems to be in the middle of your head, so on screen dialog and action sounds like it is between your ears, not in front of you. Ruins immersion. Only set I have ever tried that had decent directional placement was the Razer Chimera 5.1 headsets, but they are much more expensive (~$200) and i even returned them because the volume just didn't get loud enough. I ended up just buying a surround sound set up again and gave up on the headsets after trying around a dozen pairs.

DrChops

quality posts: 20 Private Messages DrChops

This is officially "discontinued" and has been replaced by the DX12:
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/xbox-gaming-headsets/ear-force-dx12.aspx

The surround sound (DSS Box) included has also been discontinued and replaced by the DSS2.

Now, you're probably wondering "what's the difference in generation?"
The new version is updated with a newer, better performing color-scheme. They're BLACK. heh..

The MAJOR difference between old and new generations? The color. ($60 paint job)

Petey Thaseatesmyne

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
nickelmedia wrote:According to their site, this headset also works with PC!

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/legacy-products/ear-force-dx11.aspx

cwdodson wrote:It's designed for XBox, but they make great PC headphones. Can't speak for your setup, but it works with most.

Thanks!

xlaxplaya

quality posts: 4 Private Messages xlaxplaya

I can't say much about this headset specifically, but I can say that I've never been disappointed by Turtle Beach audio products.

Hello, beautiful.

easysailor

quality posts: 25 Private Messages easysailor

Will this set improve my kill death ratio in mw3?

I live paycheck to paycheck thanks to woot.

Cusuldor

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Cusuldor

I own one of these and even though the sound quality is great, the mess of wires is a major pain. I ditched it and went with the wireless version...

Cyris69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cyris69

Um, brand new from TB its cheaper...
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/xbox-gaming-headsets/ear-force-x11.aspx

[MOD: Different model number X <> DX]

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU

jseureau

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jseureau

Love my Turtlebeach headset, I have the X31's and I cant play without them

xantonin

quality posts: 5 Private Messages xantonin

I'm looking for a headset with a lot of bass. How is this with bass?

rtrozzo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rtrozzo

I got these for my wife from toys r us when it was going out of business for 70$ as well. They are not too shabby but not the best either. I'd recommend their series one step up from these but then you are talking a lot of money too. The fit is comfy but the batteries don't last much.

mavent

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mavent

So it works for xbox, and it works for a PC... I assume it doesn't work for PS3, or that would be explicitly stated on the website or elsewhere?

You owe us a PS3 capable headset, woot!

baconsizzle121

quality posts: 1 Private Messages baconsizzle121

Nowhere in the description does it even say that it's turtle beach. Of course it is, but there's no mention of it anywhere and believe me i've ctrl+f'd to find out!

ViperEagle

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ViperEagle

I'm unclear on something. I read a review on Amazon that said you need an optical TOSLINK port on the 360 or a separate adapter in order to use the DSS to get surround sound. On the turtle beach website setup picture there seems to be some sort of av 360 adapter thing. Is that something newer 360s come with?

I have an older 360 that just has composite cables.

I see an analog input. Will that do stereo in the headset then or will the DSS do virtual 7.1?

Am I making any sense?

chubechpmnk

quality posts: 5 Private Messages chubechpmnk

Do they have to be used on the beach, and do the turtles look down on you like some amphibious wannabe?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

baconsizzle121 wrote:Nowhere in the description does it even say that it's turtle beach. Of course it is, but there's no mention of it anywhere and believe me i've ctrl+f'd to find out!

Look in the section "Product" right under the title. You'll see it there.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

buysumtime

ViperEagle wrote:I'm unclear on something. I read a review on Amazon that said you need an optical TOSLINK port on the 360 or a separate adapter in order to use the DSS to get surround sound.

I have an older 360 that doesn't seem to have a port like that.

I see an analog input. Will that do stereo in the headset then or will the DSS do virtual 7.1?

Am I making any sense?

To get the actual full dolby surround processing you need to use an optical cable, which is usually included(not sure on a refurbed, didn't check the decription). Older 360's had the connection on the end of the component cable, before they went to HDMI. You can get an adapter for $3 or $4 from monoprice that will give you the optical out while you use the HDMI. I have one and it works perfectly. If you decide just to utilize the rca plugs you will get simulated surround sound.

buysumtime

mavent wrote:So it works for xbox, and it works for a PC... I assume it doesn't work for PS3, or that would be explicitly stated on the website or elsewhere?

You owe us a PS3 capable headset, woot!

It can connect to the PS3 using the optical out for the surround sound, but it will not work with the mic. I know that this really eliminates half of the reason to get a "headset", but if you only needed the audio portion to work and not the chat function than it would be ok. i know a lot of people that just use the headsets to keep things quiet at night when gaming or watching movies.

ViperEagle

buysumtime wrote:To get the actual full dolby surround processing you need to use an optical cable, which is usually included(not sure on a refurbed, didn't check the decription). Older 360's had the connection on the end of the component cable, before they went to HDMI. You can get an adapter for $3 or $4 from monoprice that will give you the optical out while you use the HDMI. I have one and it works perfectly. If you decide just to utilize the rca plugs you will get simulated surround sound.

I just looked at it and it looks like on mine there is an optical port on the back of where the a/v cable plugs into the 360 which is good because I don't have HDMI on mine so I wouldn't be able to use an adapter and HDMI like you do. I appreciate the response though.

*edit - I accidentally a word.

buysumtime

ViperEagle wrote:I just looked at it and it looks like on mine there is an optical port on the back of where the a/v cable plugs into the 360 which is good because I don't have HDMI on mine so I wouldn't be able to use an adapter and HDMI like you do. I appreciate the response though.

*edit - I accidentally a word.

Awesome. That was the component cable I was talking about. For some reason they decided to remove it from the connector on the newer HDMI models, but they did put on back on the newest slim models. I am glad you found the port.

xantonin

quality posts: 5 Private Messages xantonin

I don't know about the headset, but I've been doing a LOT of research on the best gaming headset for PC. So here's something to help others decide.

The bottom line is a plain 3.5 mm headset won't do. You need to make it better.

The solution for most (which I dislike) is to use a USB device as a sound-card to get 7.1 sound and then send it through a proprietary cable to the headset.

The other solution is to take the output from a sound card, and convert it to a headset.

Two other devices to this that I feel like mentioning: The Astro A40 or A30 gaming headset / MixAmp system, and the Tritton AX720 (headset + mixer device).

Both "mixers" take your typical sound output, from a computer, Xbox or PS3 and send it to good quality headsets. I think the mixers can be used with other headsets, but I'm not 100% sure. They are usually sold together.

Some headsets even have actual 8 or so drivers in the ear piece for real surround - but I couldn't find much on those. The few around didn't seem too good.

Regardless, the DSS was the third really popular mentioned mixer.

While I don't know anything about the DX11 headset, a lot of enthusiasts claim the ultimate system is the DSS and Sennheiser HD 598.

So, for the DSS alone this is a great deal. Don't like the DX11? You can always buy a better headset and use it instead.

I'm jumping on this deal for just the DSS . I'll grab a better headset in the future if I get sick of this.

mechwar420

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mechwar420

I bought a pair brand new about a year and a half ago for the same price. Love them, and never regret the purchase. Still thinking of getting another pair, but for this price, I'll buy new.

KR

buysumtime

xantonin wrote:I don't know about the headset, but I've been doing a LOT of research on the best gaming headset for PC. So here's something to help others decide.

The bottom line is a plain 3.5 mm headset won't do. You need to make it better.

The solution for most (which I dislike) is to use a USB device as a sound-card to get 7.1 sound and then send it through a proprietary cable to the headset.

The other solution is to take the output from a sound card, and convert it to a headset.

Two other devices to this that I feel like mentioning: The Astro A40 or A30 gaming headset / MixAmp system, and the Tritton AX720 (headset + mixer device).

Both "mixers" take your typical sound output, from a computer, Xbox or PS3 and send it to good quality headsets. I think the mixers can be used with other headsets, but I'm not 100% sure. They are usually sold together.

Some headsets even have actual 8 or so drivers in the ear piece for real surround - but I couldn't find much on those. The few around didn't seem too good.

Regardless, the DSS was the third really popular mentioned mixer.

While I don't know anything about the DX11 headset, a lot of enthusiasts claim the ultimate system is the DSS and Sennheiser HD 598.

So, for the DSS alone this is a great deal. Don't like the DX11? You can always buy a better headset and use it instead.

I'm jumping on this deal for just the DSS . I'll grab a better headset in the future if I get sick of this.

I don't know if you have looked into them or not, but turtle beach has a new 2nd gen model of the DSS out now. You might want to check it out. It might be worth a little extra money for the newer features it has, like adjustable surround channel placement amongst other things. Just FYI in case you want to research a little further.

ViperEagle

mechwar420 wrote:I bought a pair brand new about a year and a half ago for the same price. Love them, and never regret the purchase. Still thinking of getting another pair, but for this price, I'll buy new.

One that came with the DSS? I can't really find one that comes very close to the Woot price that has both the headset and the DSS.

xjunkxyrdxdog89

quality posts: 2 Private Messages xjunkxyrdxdog89

First off I'm actually wearing thus headset right now, checking woot between forza races. My opinion, after owning 3 turtle beach headsets, is these are great. Considering turtle beach charges $70 for the dss alone this is a great deal.