WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Consider the humble knife: One of mankind's simplest tools, it's still as useful today as it was around the mastadon butchering-pit. In fact, maybe even moreso, since early humans never had to open boxes sealed with packing tape like we do.

But hey, speaking of simple tools, here's Woot's Real Actual Field Test team! We're putting the CRKT Triumph and Van Hoy blades through their paces. And also through Sean's hand.

Quality Posts

andrewshulman

quality posts: 4 Private Messages andrewshulman

Seeing that poor monkey being cut up just made me lose my appetite. What did he ever do to you, Mr. Podcast guy? All he did was scream and fly, up to a purported 50 feet distance.

I sure hope that the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Stuffed Screaming Flying Monkeys does not watch this, or they may be protests!

roadhunter

quality posts: 14 Private Messages roadhunter

So, are you selling these or not?

jeparz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeparz

That was sick and I don't mean good-sick. As they say, "it takes all kinds" and I'm the kind that didn't find this funny (too many knife accidents can do that to you)

cawpin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cawpin

I used to be a big fan of CRKT when they came out with the original KISS knife. I have since sworn them off after buying one of their knives on Ebay and thinking I got a knockoff. I contacted them, sent pictures and a detailed description and was told, "No, that's one of our knives. We do make some of them in China and other countries now."

One of the reasons I liked CRKT was that they were made in the US and were a quality product. Obviously they aren't made in the US anymore, at least most of them. But, worst of all, is that their quality has gone down so much that a legitimate knife of theirs looks like a knockoff.

I have since gone back to Cold Steel and don't think I'll change again.

jimmycmpit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimmycmpit

Buck knives are US made, lifetime warranty, a few dollars more than the outsourced CRKT and they can cut a tomato better than all the combined Karate Elvis studied that weekend.

mommyleah

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mommyleah

That poor little screaming monkey! First he's not included in the last Woot off and now he's being cut to shreads!? Send him to me and ill mend his poor little broken heart!

matthew

quality posts: 20 Private Messages matthew
roadhunter wrote:So, are you selling these or not?

The Triumph model is scheduled to run on one of the dot-woot sites a little later this week. We'll offer the Van Hoy too, but I hear that'll be a little farther down the line (like April).

klozitshoper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klozitshoper

Since you are the expert on taxidermy, is this poor little monkey fellow eligible?

matthew

Expert, hardly. Not even an amateur. But I know what I like!

WilfBrim

quality posts: 18 Private Messages WilfBrim

It wasn't the knife that got Jason's attention. It was the contents of the note. There are very few people with the iron will to pass up free donuts.

rdzek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rdzek

Triumph would be a bit big as an EDC knife. G10 blade though. It would be in line with some of the SOG offerings on woot in the past couple of months. I would like to see the Kershaw knives come back around. They were a great EDC size and value for the money.

Just ain't right what they done to that poor monkey, though. That's what happens when you eat too many free donuts. You just ain't right in the head.

klozitshoper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klozitshoper
matthew wrote:Expert, hardly. Not even an amateur. But I know what I like!

Maybe not an expert, but your series was very well done.

matthew

I thank you for your generous assessment. I'm glad you liked it!

WilfBrim

quality posts: 18 Private Messages WilfBrim
rdzek wrote:
Just ain't right what they done to that poor monkey, though. That's what happens when you eat too many free donuts. You just ain't right in the head.

I expect to see an upcoming response from Mortimer and Monte in the break room. They become so incensed at the callous monkey murder that they lead an uprising among the Woot screaming monkeys. Monte will lead a charge against the Woot HQ screaming "FREEDOM!" (think Braveheart). I just hope it ends better for them.

jfrahm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jfrahm

So... these are enjoyable but the choppiness of the video is pretty annoying. Usually I try to start the video, hit pause and then go do something for a few minutes while it buffers and then try to play the whole thing without pause.

Other youtube vids seem to buffer a lot faster, I am trying a few now. It even seems like the older Woot vids buffer fast and the current one does not. I have a fast connection. What's up?

adrian1205

quality posts: 1 Private Messages adrian1205

Actually they are not made in China, but rather Taiwan. These knives are amazing quality blades!

cawpin wrote:I used to be a big fan of CRKT when they came out with the original KISS knife. I have since sworn them off after buying one of their knives on Ebay and thinking I got a knockoff. I contacted them, sent pictures and a detailed description and was told, "No, that's one of our knives. We do make some of them in China and other countries now."

One of the reasons I liked CRKT was that they were made in the US and were a quality product. Obviously they aren't made in the US anymore, at least most of them. But, worst of all, is that their quality has gone down so much that a legitimate knife of theirs looks like a knockoff.

I have since gone back to Cold Steel and don't think I'll change again.

cappo

quality posts: 34 Private Messages cappo
jfrahm wrote:So... these are enjoyable but the choppiness of the video is pretty annoying. Usually I try to start the video, hit pause and then go do something for a few minutes while it buffers and then try to play the whole thing without pause.

Other youtube vids seem to buffer a lot faster, I am trying a few now. It even seems like the older Woot vids buffer fast and the current one does not. I have a fast connection. What's up?

Are they playing at the same resolution? That could be part of it.

At any rate, I usually wait for most youtube vids to buffer (or save) before I watch them.

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
jfrahm wrote:So... these are enjoyable but the choppiness of the video is pretty annoying. Usually I try to start the video, hit pause and then go do something for a few minutes while it buffers and then try to play the whole thing without pause.

Zero chop for me.

ecriscit

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ecriscit

no chop for me either, and watched it during the woot off.

reidzen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reidzen

Not good, guys. Kinda repulsive and completely uninformative.

Useful field test: Find the failure pressure of the locking mechanism. Find the shear point of the blade on the edge and the flat. Check corrosion resistance in salt water and sand. Check the edge after whittling on hard wood.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

reidzen wrote:Not good, guys. Kinda repulsive and completely uninformative.

Useful field test: Find the failure pressure of the locking mechanism. Find the shear point of the blade on the edge and the flat. Check corrosion resistance in salt water and sand. Check the edge after whittling on hard wood.

Probably why it's named "Real Actual" and not "Real Accurate" or "Real Useful".

EDIT: Sorry, Matthew. No offense intended. I LOVE YOUR VIDS!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jfrahm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jfrahm

I watched it again, and got to the 1:00 mark before it ran out of buffer and then started playing in annoying 5 second chunks. I opened a new tab and went to the wootchannel on youtube and found the TopChips test vid. When I watched that one the gray buffer line easily outpaced the red progress bar and the video played without any stops. I tried the current video via Youtube and got the same results. Verdict? Embedded = choppy, annoying. Not embedded = fake monkey viscera revealed without pause. Science marches on.

rider242

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rider242

This looks so nice, I can't wait till they have it on the site so I can get it!

hasopt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hasopt

I am definitely going to have to try this at home with my Kuhn-Rikon paisley knives. BTW, my dogs gut the woot monkeys whenever they get hold of one, so I am very familiar with all of the innerds.

matthew

Wooters who've been waiting to disembowel their own monkeys may be interested to know: The Triumph model is selling at Sellout.Woot today.

See it here

skippykj

quality posts: 16 Private Messages skippykj

The Addams Family: Thing Goes to Jail

The implied nudity is where Thing is wearing a hand-sized trench coat and....oh wait. Are you double jointed? It would be a deal-breaker if you aren't.