WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

If you're not a gamer, you probably haven't heard and have zero craps to give about the "uproar" over Mass Effect 3, a highly-anticipated and now hotly-debated release from Bioware. People more heavily invested in the argument could go on ad nauseum about the implications and complications of the matter, but the gist of it is a bunch of people don't like the way the game ended and are pissed to the point where one horribly misguided fool is launching a lawsuit against Bioware has filed a complaint with the FTC and several people are mulling a lawsuit for...making a product they didn't like? Aside from the obvious need to seize the license of whatever lawyer was evil enough to convince him that case is worth making, do gamers have a right to take to the courts when they don't like the way their games end?

135/365: ... my job
"I was so distressed by the narrative incoherence of Ugg's motivation and backstory that I will never play another Q*Bert game again."

I know, I know; it's the year of the protest. Everyone's looking for their own cause to rally behind and rock the establishment, and gamers are a notoriously fanatical and easily-angered lot in particular, but this ain't the Arab Spring, guys. You bought a product. The product did what it promised. You didn't like the ending. In a logical world, your next thought would be, "Huh. I guess I won't buy any more of these Mass Effect games, since I didn't enjoy them as much as I'd hoped." MAYBE if you're really offended you'd swear off Bioware offerings. But no, let's start petitions and lawsuits. To take up some sort of indignant rage because someone dared to make something that didn't entertain you beyond your wildest dreams is the epitome of self-entitlement.

Day 325

"I roleplayed my hippo as anorexic, and Milton Bradley is telling me there's NO WAY to win the game that way!?"

And now that Bioware is already backpedaling, claiming they're "open" to "changing the ending," the situation can only get worse. I'm sure the team developing a new ending under the staunch guidelines of "MAKE IT SO AWESOME THAT NO ONE CAN BE OFFENDED BY IT AND EVERYONE LOVES IT" will come up with something super awesome. That's why focus groups always make everything great, right? People turn out their best work when motivated by an enraged, spiteful audience who accused them of being hucksters just for taking the time to create something. And no, I'm not so naive to think poor lil' Bioware made Mass Effect 3 as a labor of love and released it into the world for no financial motives at all like their own precious child and are now weeping as people tear it limb from limb. But people DID create that game. People worked hard on it. Some people probably DID love it, and poured their hearts into it. And people who create things need constructive criticism to get better at creating. "THIS ENDING WAS DUMB SO I'M SUING YOU" is not constructive. It's disheartening and, if your end result is another, fun to play Mass Effect game, it's hurting your cause.

Ugly Girls!

"What if I don't want lettuce on my Burger Time burger? Welp, guess I'm just trapped! The sandbox is beyond broken."

"But Randall," you say, "we were promised innovation! We were promised choices that really affect the storyline and alter the outcome, providing endless hours of replayability and enjoyment!" Why do you want that, exactly? So you can make Commander Shepard a man or a woman. You can fall in love with a man or a woman. In fact, Commander Shepard exists as a transparent, hollow vessel for the player to project themselves onto. Do you know what writers call that kind of character?

Terrible.

Strong, enjoyable characters are characters you IDENTIFY with, not empty husks you inhabit for an hour or two. Traits you admire, respect, or are fascinated by engage you to follow things further. Giving me the option of a positive, negative, or sarcastic response to every NPC dialogue option is just lazy and repetitive. I'm not denying some people enjoy games like this, and I've played plenty of Fallout and Skyrim and the like, but having the option to say "Of course I'll help you!" or "BURN IN HELL HAHAHA!" isn't awe-inspiring freedom. It's basically the same option we've had since Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic billed itself as a big morality play on the original Xbox. A couple of good or bad choices that don't do much more than offer window dressing, and one big choice at the end that determines which actual ending you get.

I'd much rather play a game with a linear but riveting storyline that keeps me engaged and my disbelief firmly suspended than spend hundreds of hours selecting sarcastic retorts just to see that some poor intern took the time to come up with annoyed dialogue scripts for every alien NPC in the galaxy. I don't care if my character is a man or a woman, gay or straight, human or alien so long as they're interesting. If I'm supposed to be a super soldier saving the planet from intergalactic war, fine. Paint the tableau. Explain to me how high the stakes are, drop me into the action, and let me get to savin'. Don't tell me the fate of the world can wait 45 minutes while I try to make a pass at my shipmate or change the color of my hair. And don't tell me those add replayability. All those add are button-pressing and box-checking for obssessive compulsive "completionist" types.

ewww
"The ATM display shows significantly less money than I'd like to have. I'm suing!"

You are not the first person to buy something and be disappointed by it. If the product is defective somehow and doesn't do what it's supposed to (and by that I mean "did it work in your console?" "were you able to actually play the game?" and not "were you as engrossed as you'd hoped to be?"), you have a valid complaint. If you happen to not like the ending, move on with your life and decide whether you want to spend money on stuff like it in the future based on your experience. Unless you're going to start going full bore with it. I didn't particularly like Catcher in the Rye; I demand the Salinger estate give me a new final chapter to my liking! I was led to believe the Princess would be in THIS castle! Where's my new, free, DLC ending?! Tetris doesn't even HAVE an ending! It just speeds up into a singularity! This completely ignores a gamer's needs and wants from a title!

And if you're REALLY that upset by the ending, if you really can't bear with the thought that your particular Commander Shepard didn't get the closure you were hoping for, here's a tip: just pretend something else happened. It will be just as real as the ending Bioware gave you, which is to say completely fictional.

This is an issue you'd think would be near and dear to my heart, but I say this as an overweight, long-haired, bearded video game player: get over yourselves, guys.

Flickr photos (in order) 135/365: ... my job by Mr. Thomas, Day 325 by Robbie Biller, Ugly Girls! by Lana_aka_BADGRL, and ewww by Gregg O'Connell used under a Creative Commons License.

dfjdejulio

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dfjdejulio

See, I had a chance of ending up as one of the pissed-off people, but based on observations of DA2 and ME2 and the demo, I could see it coming. So, my solution was "don't pre-order the game", followed by "take note of people's reactions to it", concluding with "decide not to buy the game at all".

I'm pretty content. I'd have been happier if ME3 was a game I could have enjoyed, but, oh well. There are other games for me to enjoy.

alexanderjd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alexanderjd

Sensible rebuttal: The fact that people are so upset about the stupid ending to Mass Effect is awesome.

Wall of text to follow, read at your own peril.

Here's the deal: until now, no one really got THIS pissed off about a video game not living up to expectations, because they've always been "just games." However the level of vitriol aimed at BioWare is on par with what Star Wars fans sprayed all over George Lucas for George-Lucasing their beloved franchise with the prequel trilogy. And the level of saturation in the medium could easily grow the inherent spoilers at the end of ME to Rosebud or Soylent Green heights.

This is new territory for Video Games as a medium. Wholly uncharted grounds and I for one think it signals the maturation of Video Games as an art form.

As you so ineloquently (the proper word is likely inarticulate, but whatever) pointed out, people never got upset at Hungry Hungry Hippos or the burger maker game which I don't remember the name of but played a TON as a kid... because in the end, they were just games. The only thing you cared about was winning or losing, high scores and spent quarters. Mass Effect, as a series, transcends those old shackles and seeks to tell a story. And not just any story, one which YOU (the player) have been shaping for the last half-decade.

Think about this; people have invested more time in each individual game in this series, than the ENTIRE Lord of the Rings trilogy, mega-extended super-duper version. And after all that time, all the panning, playing, replaying, testing, etc ... the last 20 minutes of the game is a big steamy pile of bulls***.

So yes, people are angry. And I for one am thrilled.

KaylaKaze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KaylaKaze

TL;DR which I feel is appropriate since from what I did read, you don't know what you're talking about and didn't do any research to find out. The issue is that the product DIDN'T deliver what it promised. And fans have every right to be pissed off and complain when a company makes stupid decisions like hiring a hack to write a story that fans are emotionally invested in. Fans have every right to say "what you created sucks and if you want me to keep respect for you, you need to fix it."

fijahh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fijahh

I keep seeing people mention that 'if you don't like the ending, then don't buy any further Mass Effect games'. This is missing the point, since Bioware has said on several occasions that there will *be* no more Mass Effect games. This is it, the end, the grand finale, and it has been hyped as such since the game was first announced. Is it any wonder that people get a little testy when said grand finale fails to live up to their hype-enhanced expectations?

maxrfb

quality posts: 8 Private Messages maxrfb
KaylaKaze wrote: "what you created sucks and if you want me to keep respect for you, you need to fix it."

I have many different directions I want to take this conversation, but I can't decide which.
Which seems fitting, given the subject...
Basically though, kind of goes to the whole George Lucas / prequel argument, on one hand.

A story loved by millions, and the whole first prequel basically sucked on many levels, (Jar Jar, midichlorians, whiny baby cougar chasing Annikin, Trade Alliance, etc.) He tried to redeem it with Ep 2 & 3, but not very well.

All that aside from his constant tinkering with the real Star Wars movies.

Sometimes, artists who create great things loved by many swing and miss(Temple of Doom. Does that mean you stop loving the artist, or do you get over it and look forward to their next creation (Last Crusade)? Then, have your hopes dashed to the ground and crushed again later (Crystal Skull).

wow. I actually bought a Robot Elvis.
What was I thinking?

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
maxrfb wrote:I have many different directions I want to take this conversation, but I can't decide which.

What if I give you three dialogue choices?

llandar

KaylaKaze wrote:The issue is that the product DIDN'T deliver what it promised.

You were promised a video game. It happened to be one you didn't like. Get over it.

dave bug

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dave bug

They should patch the game and have an input box that says "what would you like the ending to be?" and then whatever you type in scrolls across the screen dramatically, followed by: THE END.

LukeDuff

quality posts: 3 Private Messages LukeDuff

I think it depends on which ending you get. I got the one where Commander Shepard brushes his grandma's hair for 9 minutes and then the credits roll. I deserve at least a partial refund for that.

BC4L!

Turken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Turken
KaylaKaze wrote:Fans have every right to say "what you created sucks and if you want me to keep respect for you, you need to fix it."

What really irks me is that there is even the *possibility* for a video game to be "fixed" after the fact.

Call me an old-school gaming luddite if you wish, but I for one sorely miss the "good old days" before consoles were networked. Back then, when a game went gold, it was done. period. No day-one DLC, no spending 20 minutes downloading yet another patch every time you turn it on to play, and no changing the story just to keep the whiny "fans" happy.

harrylu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harrylu

"It's basically the same option we've had since Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic billed itself as a big morality play on the original Xbox."

For me, this is the crux of my disappointment. From SWKOTR made by Bioware) we were promised that our actions and decisions would matter. Most of us expected that it would culminate with ME3 based on the two previous games. I was content with my original synthesis ending although there were many plot holes. But what really pissed me was when I realized that each "choice" had exactly the same ending, just with different colored lights. That was some weak sh*t.

Also I read this somewhere else but wholehearted agree. Remember the ending of ME2 where you got to choose who in your party did what and how that choice affected the outcome. Where was that in ME3 Bioware? ME3 feels like a step backwards.

llandar

KaylaKaze wrote: Fans have every right to say "what you created sucks and if you want me to keep respect for you, you need to fix it."

Who determined your respect must be kept? See that self-entitlement shining through?

yrguide

quality posts: 5 Private Messages yrguide

OK, if you've at all been invested in the Mass Effect series you'd know that every decision along the way affects the ultimate outcome of the game.

That said, people go out of their way to play the game multiple times to get to a different outcome each time. What people are so angry about is you make a million different decisions in this game (just like the first two in the series) yet the ultimate outcome is always the same.

So, thanks...I guess I'm stupid. Yay me!

alexanderjd

Turken wrote:What really irks me is that there is even the *possibility* for a video game to be "fixed" after the fact.

Call me an old-school gaming luddite if you wish, but I for one sorely miss the "good old days" before consoles were networked. Back then, when a game went gold, it was done. period. No day-one DLC, no spending 20 minutes downloading yet another patch every time you turn it on to play, and no changing the story just to keep the whiny "fans" happy.

While I consider myself extremely un-Luddite, I do agree with you in principle here.

The advent of DLC has allowed developers to rush out half-arsed products with the promise of fixing them later... for a nominal fee, of course. We're seeing more and more of that from EA, which is why ME3 is likely the last game I'll be purchasing from them.

It just sucks that the most recent victim of "sell it now, finish it later" is a game into which I heavily invested time over the last 5 years. C'est la vie.

Personally, I think it's just growing pains of the studios struggling to adapt old-school structure to new-age tech. As steam gains momentum, and if Origins can stop stepping on it's own rose bud... we might be able to shift away from retail store rushed delivery. Shave prices of initial purchase to smooth over things like day-1-dlc.

alexanderjd

llandar wrote:Who determined your respect must be kept? See that self-entitlement shining through?

ummm... ever heard of customers?

Imagine if woot shipped actual piles of turd in every BeeOhSee. They could easily claim "that's exactly what you bought. why should I care about keeping your respect?"

People paid money for Mass Effect, got what they consider a very sub-par product for the price, and are voicing their opinion. Hardly a novel concept.

garryu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garryu

This ending is the "Rocks fall. Everyone dies." version. Is it valid? Yeah. Is it realistic? Yeah. Is it a prick move? Yeah.

Some fans of the franchise have spent $200 on the software plus more on merchandise over the last few years.

We feel like we were promised answers to our questions. We feel like we actually got " 'Lost' in Space".

Anger and disappointment are normal reactions and justified.

A lawsuit is stupid.

llandar

alexanderjd wrote:ummm... ever heard of customers?

I'VE BEEN CENSORED.

monstercloud

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monstercloud

I must say, if there's anything consistently funny about some of the people so hard against the people dissatisfied with the ending of ME3, it's those that call them stupid, and then getting things so wrong.

First of all, there is no lawsuit against Bioware. For a site that deals in product sales, I'd imagine you would know a bit more about what an online complaint (which you somehow couldn't even read the headline right of the linked article) to the BBB and FTC is all about. A complaint, in itself, does not involve a lawsuit.

The fact that you actually made up this imaginary action and rambled about it for 2 paragraphs, picture captions, and intermittent mentions, shows what a horse's ass you are for claiming how stupid people who disliked the ending are.

However, your opening inane argument is only the beginning of your ignorance. No where do you actually go into the issues of the ending or the series as a whole, but continue with your inarticulate diatribe of, "Well be grateful you have an ending! Tetris didn't have an ending!"

Where you could have been discussing the issues of the ending, or pulled up quotes from the developer saying, "We're not going to be making this into some A/B/C ending" amongst others, you instead berate not only the sole person who filed a complaint with the BBB/FTC, but EVERYONE who hated the ending. It ends up sounding you're the same kind of person you're railing against only on the other side of the fence, which is made evident in your writing style, pictures, and painfully "grasping at straws" analogies.

If you did end up playing the entire series, I can only imagine you played it in the same state that you wrote this - with your brain off.

bsmith1

quality posts: 103 Private Messages bsmith1
alexanderjd wrote:ummm... ever heard of customers?

Imagine if woot shipped actual piles of turd in every BeeOhSee. They could easily claim "that's exactly what you bought. why should I care about keeping your respect?"

You mean kinda like how woot swore nothing would change after the Amazon buy-out and then the shirt supplier changed and prices went up. Also they started charging tax for some states. And don't forget about how crummy the Bunnies Ogling Carrots were last time and how woot decided to cancel them altogether now because too many people complained about not getting the 3 items and 1 bag they were promised per the Holy Crap Commandments.

And yet...we're all still here...

Turken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Turken
alexanderjd wrote:
People paid money for Mass Effect, got what they consider a very sub-par product for the price, and are voicing their opinion. Hardly a novel concept.

People paid for Mass Effect. And what they got is Mass Effect, because the those who created and control the franchise said so. end of story.

But going back to the original point -- what we really need to be concerned about is the very idea that the creator of a work can then be sued by a consumer of said work simply because the latter doesn't like the way it turned out. Can you imagine the implications of this? if every creative work ever made was subsequently retconned to the match the ideality of its most ardent and vocal fans?

Don't like the MassEffect/Beiber/Pride&Prejudice fan-fic I wrote last week? Too bad, 'cause I just lawyered up and soon it will be the only ending to the story. muuuahhahahahhahhah!

KaylaKaze

llandar wrote:You were promised a video game. It happened to be one you didn't like. Get over it.

That's like saying if you ordered a Ferrari and got a Honda, you got what you were promised 'cause you got a car. And actually, the game is VERY good... until the last 15 minutes. 15 minutes that were NOT what was promised by BW that the last 15 minutes would be. They EXPLICITLY said it would not be the way it was.

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

Here's what confuses me: you already know how Bioware wanted to end the series. You can't un-see it now. And sitting down to play a patched new ending simply won't be the same experience as if that had been the original ending.

So how would a new official ending, created at the insistence of the fans, be any more satisfying or real than whatever ending you can think up?

If the fans "own" Mass Effect through their "investment" in it - a concept I find problematic anyway - why do you need Bioware's stamp of approval on a new ending?

Railing against Bioware for letting you down with a disappointing product makes perfect sense. I just don't see the point of demanding a new ending.

KaylaKaze

llandar wrote:Who determined your respect must be kept? See that self-entitlement shining through?

The companies that keep wanting my money and the money of the thousands and thousands of angry fans.

dviglino

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dviglino

"In fact, Commander Shepard exists as a transparent, hollow vessel for the player to project themselves onto. Do you know what writers call that kind of character?

Terrible."

This ridiculous, the kind of thing you hear from elderly film critics talking about 'those game things the kids play'. By this logic, choice is bad and role-playing games with any character input are terrible. There is a difference between movies and games; from a movie, you are looking at it from the outside. A game allows you to experience the world from the inside.

If you want to go play your Battlefield 3 or whatever, fine. That's one type of game that is somewhat similar to a movie (not necessarily a good movie). But don't complain about a role-playing game giving the player a chance to pick what role to play.

Some games- Mafia II, the Witcher, etc- basically have you play the role they wrote in the way they wrote it. Others, like bioware games, allow you to change the story yourself, and that's what's so appealing about them (as distinct from other forms of media).

KaylaKaze

Jason Toon wrote:Here's what confuses me: you already know how Bioware wanted to end the series. You can't un-see it now. And sitting down to play a patched new ending simply won't be the same experience as if that had been the original ending.

So how would a new official ending, created at the insistence of the fans, be any more satisfying or real than whatever ending you can think up?

If the fans "own" Mass Effect through their "investment" in it - a concept I find problematic anyway - why do you need Bioware's stamp of approval on a new ending?

Railing against Bioware for letting you down with a disappointing product makes perfect sense. I just don't see the point of demanding a new ending.

2 words: Indoctrination Theory. Look it up if you care to.

sadsephiroth

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sadsephiroth

Bioware stated actions you take will have an impact on the ending of the game. How, when your choices are limited to red, green, and blue? Don't write an article without doing research into the matter. Bioware promised features that are missing from the game. They bold face lied. Thats like saying I bought a 50" 1080p TV, and got a 27" tube tv in place, and have no right to complain. The ignorance of this article astounds me to such a point that I am cannot believe Woot allowed it to be placed here. Epic failure, you look like a ladybug.

sadsephiroth

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sadsephiroth
monstercloud wrote:I must say, if there's anything consistently funny about some of the people so hard against the people dissatisfied with the ending of ME3, it's those that call them stupid, and then getting things so wrong.

First of all, there is no lawsuit against Bioware. For a site that deals in product sales, I'd imagine you would know a bit more about what an online complaint (which you somehow couldn't even read the headline right of the linked article) to the BBB and FTC is all about. A complaint, in itself, does not involve a lawsuit.

The fact that you actually made up this imaginary action and rambled about it for 2 paragraphs, picture captions, and intermittent mentions, shows what a horse's ass you are for claiming how stupid people who disliked the ending are.

However, your opening inane argument is only the beginning of your ignorance. No where do you actually go into the issues of the ending or the series as a whole, but continue with your inarticulate diatribe of, "Well be grateful you have an ending! Tetris didn't have an ending!"

Where you could have been discussion the issues of the ending, or pulled up quotes from the developer saying, "We're not going to be making this into some A/B/C ending" amongst others, you instead berate not only the sole person who filed a complaint with the BBB/FTC, but EVERYONE who hated the ending. It ends up sounding you're the same kind of person you're railing against only on the other side of the fence, which is made evident in your writing style, pictures, and painfully "grasping at straws" analogies.

If you did end up playing the entire series, I can only imagine you played it in the same state that you wrote this - with your brain off.

This deserves a Quality Post

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

KaylaKaze wrote:2 words: Indoctrination Theory. Look it up if you care to.

Kayla, I did actually look that up, and it's interesting (to me, at least) but I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying that the fans created that ending themselves, or that Bioware hid that ending in the game and everyone is misunderstanding what happened? Or are you saying something else I'm too dumb to keep up with?

edit: i'm also too dumb to notice when i make typos

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 120 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

bsmith1 wrote:And don't forget about how crummy the Bunnies Ogling Carrots were last time and how woot decided to cancel them altogether now because too many people complained about not getting the 3 items and 1 bag they were promised per the Holy Crap Commandments.

And yet...we're all still here...

Bunnies Ogling Carrots aren't cancelled forever, they just weren't in the last Woot-Off and we're reevaluating the process because of so many complaints about them or about not getting them.

Taxes are a state-by-state, legal issue. Since we moved from MO- taxes are no longer collected there. We had to move to WA and have always been in TX- NY is actually probably setting precedence for the US by collecting sales tax on internet purchases regardless of the level of presence a business has there, so get ready for more internet taxation.

Shirt prices and shirt switching. The fit is more universal for "average" women (though I in no way ignore the distaste from the women unhappy with the change) and the material and methods of production are near exact. They're still printed in Dallas and we take designers from all over the world. The raise in price (the first since we began the site) has bestowed upon us the ability to offer more products more often and research into different production methods and staff so we can continue to offer a better variety.

monstercloud

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monstercloud

Come back to see if anyone actually took issue with my comment, and I see this gem; the link that someone is "suing" crossed out, and this little addition..

...has filed a complaint with the FTC and several people are mulling a lawsuit for..

Could you be any more disingenuous? You couldn't revise your argument to accurately reflect who you were calling out and who they were calling out to? Perhaps commenting on about tax dollars being wasted, which would still be a weak argument, as I would debate how much tax dollars are actually wasted on filing a complaint...

Instead you have to take the vague tabloid "people are saying..." angle? Who are these people? Are you that proud of your rant against the imaginary sue happy people that you just HAD to keep it?

But whatever, I don't come here for the poorly thought out opinion pieces.

hippie19

quality posts: 22 Private Messages hippie19

I'm going to wait until they re-release the entire series on PSXbox12 without glitches and with a "world approved" ending to start playing the game. It is the only way I can be sure that the entire story is wrapped up in a neat little package for me to enjoy. I'm sure there isn't a Serenity chance in Firefly that I won't be mad that something happened to my dislike.

bogus

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bogus

I haven't played ME3, but my thoughts on reading about it are as follows:
-People filing lawsuits etc. are liquid lawls. Truly, the Internet has outdone itself this time around.

-What the rational people are upset about is, generally speaking, that a lot of that Bioware-ish RPG stuff got thrown out in favor of an ending that disinherits a lot of the rest of the franchise. Considering Mass Effect bills itself as the video game version of Star Trek this is kind of a horrible idea and justifies a lot of the emorage.

-The inevitable retcon was probably planned from the start to generate demand for DLC. Welcome to EA land, where success is measured by how many crappy Sims expansions you can crank out in a three year period.

-Perhaps this mess will get people thinking about whether BioWare is or should be The One Developer That Will Ever Matter, and more generally whether concentrating one's entertainment choices in the hands of just a few powerful developers and publishers is such a good idea. What happens when they *do* screw it up? Perhaps some fans will channel the anger into making their own games and/or pursuing companies like Egosoft that aren't indie but aren't mainstream either, and we'll ultimately wind up with an overall better selection of good stuff. One can hope, anyway.

edit: Oh yeah, forgot to mention I've read some stuff from some more creative detractors suggesting that maybe the ending could just be Shepard having a Brazil moment due to the Reapers' mind-bending abilities, and the actual ending hasn't played out yet (probably the way Bioware would retcon if they do). I kind of like this approach, it doesn't break anything while adding a new layer of depth to everyone's second favorite alien babe aficionado.

llandar

sadsephiroth wrote:Bioware stated actions you take will have an impact on the ending of the game. How, when your choices are limited to red, green, and blue?

You are upset about the creative content. That does not justify a federal complaint. Do you write your senator every time you see a movie you don't like?

scarredwithstars

quality posts: 3 Private Messages scarredwithstars
Strong, enjoyable characters are characters you IDENTIFY with, not empty husks you inhabit for an hour or two.

You obviously don't understand the concept behind a Role Playing Game. I know the name is vague and open to interpretation, but basically it's a game, where you play the role of the character.

And any game that can be beat in an hour or two would also deserve the uproar this game received.

bsmith1

quality posts: 103 Private Messages bsmith1
agingdragqueen wrote:Bunnies Ogling Carrots aren't cancelled forever...

That is good news. Like I said, I'm still here. Woot is like that ex girlfriend that lies and cheats and you know isn't good for you, but you can't seem to cut ties with her. I wish I knew how to quit you.

yrguide

llandar wrote:You are upset about the creative content. That does not justify a federal complaint. Do you write your senator every time you see a movie you don't like?

Hey Angry Guy,

It's pretty clear the overwhelming opinion is the possibility of a lawsuit is stupid. However, your blog post took it well beyond the stupidity of a lawsuit. Take this for example:

"To take up some sort of indignant rage because someone dared to make something that didn't entertain you beyond your wildest dreams is the epitome of self-entitlement."

No not really, it's simply the epitome of expecting what was promised by the developers and keeping with the spirit of the game. It has nothing to do with being entertained beyond our wildest dream but more to do with keeping with the spirit of the game.

Honestly, again based on your assessment of the game it's obvious you haven't played it. Your narrative on how it's played quite simply illustrates it but to sit there and judge others when it's obvious you have zero idea what you're ranting about is the epitome of....hmmmmm, what's the word I'm looking for? Perhaps simply being a ladybug.

Seriously, if you knew more about the game you might have been able to pull together a more compelling narrative supporting some of your points...instead you just read gizmodo and a few other blogs and pulled together a narrative based on other people's narratives.

Give it a rest yo and stop being so combative with your customers.

Hugs & Kisses,

Yrguide

bogus

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bogus

The OP does completely miss the point but I'd honestly rather have spirited if somewhat misguided woot blogs than the aromatic, saccharine, androgynous "policy prevents us from commenting on any aspect of reality" you get from most companies.

yrguide

scarredwithstars wrote:You obviously don't understand the concept behind a Role Playing Game. I know the name is vague and open to interpretation, but basically it's a game, where you play the role of the character.

Hahahahahahaha, so much win! Thank you!

OldMatador

quality posts: 13 Private Messages OldMatador
KaylaKaze wrote:2 words: Indoctrination Theory. Look it up if you care to.

Aha!

I was one totally dissatisfied I put in 100+ hours to get an ending like that. Then I saw this video from a fan, and I turned around 100%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck

Bull? Probably, but if it will make me FEEL better, does it matter?