greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday

Ok, so...anyone have any experience with this pen? I can see that practical application for note taking, but how does it do with sketching or other creative uses?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

greyday wrote:Have you ever tried to draw on a tablet? High end art tablets are pricey, the average tablet (includig the iPad) is a simplified touch screen computer, nothing more.

Any chance we can have a mod come in and remove all the comments about the woot off? Or move it to its own blog/thread? It'd be nice to be able to not have to sift to find actual info on the product...

By Request....

It would be greatly appreciated if comments of scorn, rage, hate, betrayal, departures, and disappointment could be added to last month's thread on scorn, rage, hate, betrayal, departures, and disappointment. Rest assured, they will be read. THANK YOU!

Or this newly created thread.
Edit: Sigh, I accidentally deleted this thread while grabbing the URL to it. It truly was an accident. Apologies to the 3 people who posted in that thread. Please feel free to recreate that thread. Sigh.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

aznvamp

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aznvamp
greyday wrote:Have you ever tried to draw on a tablet? High end art tablets are pricey, the average tablet (includig the iPad) is a simplified touch screen computer, nothing more.

Yes, I have an iPad. I use it to take handwritten notes in lectures and draw molecules everyday. I also play the popular game "Draw Something" on my iPad. :p Very accurate to me.

Spending another $50-100 on an extension of your iPad to take notes/draw (which your tablet can already do efficiently) seems a little overkill.

I can't speak for the accuracy of this product, but I doubt it'll be accurate enough for an artist.

dissatisfiedcustomer

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dissatisfiedcustomer
ThunderThighs wrote:It would be greatly appreciated if comments of scorn, rage, hate, betrayal, departures, and disappointment could be added to last month's thread on scorn, rage, hate, betrayal, departures, and disappointment. Rest assured, they will be read. THANK YOU!

But we are scorned and outraged. We hate the betrayal and the departure from classic woot is a disappointment!

efun

quality posts: 1 Private Messages efun
shortman wrote:I want one that works with my android phone and that is compatible with the Draw Something app.

A4 cannot work with Android phone but iPhone/iPad/Computer. Please pay attention to A3 from aPenUSA which can support Bluetooth connection with Android phone and Android Tablet.

Waker1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Waker1
efun wrote:A4 cannot work with Android phone but iPhone/iPad/Computer. Please pay attention to A3 from aPenUSA which can support Bluetooth connection with Android phone and Android Tablet.

But does it work with Apps that are available on Ipod and Ipad 2? My wife is looking for something for notetaking and I wouldn't mind something for Draw Something. Thus, it may be a win for me.

BTW) Why is ThunderThighs so prevalent in policing the thread today? I see a lot of posts disappearing. It'd be one thing if they were moved to a thread in a general complaint area and some reminders were given but to delete them completely smacks of too much control. It's certainly damaged my calm.

Woot, Thank you for the crash course in formatting!

TiraNomChu

quality posts: 5 Private Messages TiraNomChu

sadly, this is an apple-only accessory, and I was hoping to use this to digitize my notes in engineering classes on my android tablet.

I do, however, own an ipod touch (4th gen). Does anyone know if this *could* record/download to my touch? it's a bit pricey but I'm hoping if it's good quality it might be worth it.

ronaldjeremy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ronaldjeremy

does this mean that the wireless digital pen also has a regular old ink cartridge inside it? I was hoping for something that could be used as a stylus as well, it would be great if it could do both

TiraNomChu

quality posts: 5 Private Messages TiraNomChu
efun wrote:A4 cannot work with Android phone but iPhone/iPad/Computer. Please pay attention to A3 from aPenUSA which can support Bluetooth connection with Android phone and Android Tablet.

whoops! didn't quite pay attention to this post all the way through- thanks for the mention of an android solution!

ThunderThighs

Staff

Waker1 wrote:But does it work with Apps that are available on Ipod and Ipad 2? My wife is looking for something for notetaking and I wouldn't mind something for Draw Something. Thus, it may be a win for me.

BTW) Why is ThunderThighs so prevalent in policing the thread today? I see a lot of posts disappearing. It'd be one thing if they were moved to a thread in a general complaint area and some reminders were given but to delete them completely smacks of too much control. It's certainly damaged my calm.

I don't have any way to move posts. There was a request to trim so that it was easier to find posts about the product. This is a new product for Woot so the discussion will be useful to other Wooters.

Also, see the big Detour sign above pointing to another thread. I left the posts up for a few hours but they don't add anything to the product discussion.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

efun

quality posts: 1 Private Messages efun
Waker1 wrote:But does it work with Apps that are available on Ipod and Ipad 2? My wife is looking for something for notetaking and I wouldn't mind something for Draw Something. Thus, it may be a win for me.

The available app names iNoteHD for iPad and iPad2, you can download it from app store and test it.

ShadowDragoonFTW

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ShadowDragoonFTW

I'm seconding an earlier comment. How useful is this for actually doing drawings? I'm no great artist or anything, but I'd like to be able to do drawings that I can edit on my computer without having to worry about scanning and all that other crap. (I'm hoping this will make me feel like a real artist! :D)

How good is it for that kind of thing? I've been meaning to get a Wacom tablet for a while, but those things always look so crappy for the price... is this a decent alternative?

ThunderThighs

Staff

efun wrote:The available app names iNoteHD for iPad and iPad2, you can download it from app store and test it.

Are you an insider with the Apen company?

smalltwig

quality posts: 1 Private Messages smalltwig
ThunderThighs wrote:
Also, see the big Detour sign above pointing to another thread. I left the posts up for a few hours but they don't add anything to the product discussion.

Well, I'm glad you removed my rather useless posts, just about as useless as this device (if you own a smart-phone). Evernote with OCR essentially makes this a last ditch effort at the market, sort of like mini-disks (when MP3 players came on the market).

P.s. Shadow Dragoon, the reason Wacom tablets can be really expensive is because of the accuracy they offer. Keep in mind that iPads and iPhones were never designed for anything more precise than a finger.

Edit: in short: no. if you want a decent alternative to wacom, buy a good scanner and get used to Photoshop/Illustrator

greyday

smalltwig wrote:Well, I'm glad you removed my rather useless posts, just about as useless as this device (if you own a smart-phone). Evernote with OCR essentially makes this a last ditch effort at the market, sort of like mini-disks (when MP3 players came on the market).

P.s. Shadow Dragoon, the reason Wacom tablets can be really expensive is because of the accuracy they offer. Keep in mind that iPads and iPhones were never designed for anything more precise than a finger.

I totally agree that as a note-taking tool it may be somewhat unnecessary (though to be able to take physical notes and archive them digitall instantly is kinda cool), but I'm still curious about the artistic applications. Basically my biggest disappointment in owning an ipad is that I still need my wacom tablet, or a sketch pad and scanner, it seems silly.

And absolutely, nothing beats Wacom for level of accuracy (they offer a stylus for around $200 similar to this one, but I assume much better). I just want to know if this is a glorified standard tablet pen or more like an Aiptek tablet equivalent (which would TOTALLY be worth $60, especially since if some details are too fine, you still have the original sketch to scan)...

And to answer the question above, yes, the pen works as a, well, pen. ;)

smalltwig

greedy wrote: I just want to know if this is a glorified standard tablet pen or more like an Aiptek tablet equivalent (which would TOTALLY be worth $60, especially since if some details are too fine, you still have the original sketch to scan)...

Without getting too technical, the answer to your question is leaning towards glorified tablet pen. When this pen was put into production, it was targeted at college students taking notes in classes, with some upgraded features making it a plausible artistic utility. However, unless you are drawing basic shapes (circles, squares, triangles, etc), it would not be able to produce the results nessiary for free-hand sketches, or even cartoons for that matter.

k3lit0

quality posts: 2 Private Messages k3lit0

How does this compare to a wacom tablet for sketching?

smalltwig

k3lit0 wrote:How does this compare to a wacom tablet for sketching?

it doesn't.

Edit: allow me to elaborate: the wireless pen uses a single based approach. Imagine you take a gun and fire it at a target. Rather than simply interpret the aim of the gun, Wacom tablets interpret the target and the aim. Therefore, you are able to use your "results" to "sight-in" the gun, making it more accurate.

However, if you're trying to make a circle, for example, the offset trajectory of the bullet won't matter. It'll be a circle either way, Anything more complex, and you may run into trouble ;)

greyday

smalltwig wrote:Without getting too technical, the answer to your question is leaning towards glorified tablet pen. When this pen was put into production, it was targeted at college students taking notes in classes, with some upgraded features making it a plausible artistic utility. However, unless you are drawing basic shapes (circles, squares, triangles, etc), it would not be able to produce the results nessiary for free-hand sketches, or even cartoons for that matter.

THANK you. I was trying to find any kind of art-oriented review of this thing online and couldn't find a darned thing...

Now I sort of feel bad for being the reason the thread got cleaned up just to find I don't want the product (thanks for listening and helping, though, TT! ).

EDIT: Aww, meh, I decided to give it a shot. I'm not that great an artist and do a lot of livetrace-style work, so I figured I'd give it a shot (besides, I had a credit I keep forgetting to use, so it was a little cheaper). At the least this may let me know if, overall, I want to eventually buy a better grade pen (like the Inkling). Or who knows, it could work for my needs! Or I'm deluding myself!

eddieeddy1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eddieeddy1

How similar is this to the Livescribe pen, because I was thinking of getting one, but now I might be looking at the Apen...
I mean I know the Livescribe has the Piano Feature

adamant628

quality posts: 8 Private Messages adamant628
ThunderThighs wrote:I don't have any way to move posts. There was a request to trim so that it was easier to find posts about the product. This is a new product for Woot so the discussion will be useful to other Wooters.

The link to the "new" thread takes me to the Community --> Woots page.

ShadowDragoonFTW

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ShadowDragoonFTW
smalltwig wrote:it doesn't.

Edit: allow me to elaborate: the wireless pen uses a single based approach. Imagine you take a gun and fire it at a target. Rather than simply interpret the aim of the gun, Wacom tablets interpret the target and the aim. Therefore, you are able to use your "results" to "sight-in" the gun, making it more accurate.

However, if you're trying to make a circle, for example, the offset trajectory of the bullet won't matter. It'll be a circle either way, Anything more complex, and you may run into trouble ;)

Alright, I'll be passing on this then. Thanks for the input!

ThunderThighs

Staff

adamant628 wrote:The link to the "new" thread takes me to the Community --> Woots page.

Oh crap! I thought I had accidentally hit delete when grabbing the URL earlier but didn't see the thread go away so I figured I just missed it. Drat, drat, drat. That's gonna upset those 3 people. Dang it. Apologies. I really did not mean to delete that thread. Sigh.

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin
ThunderThighs wrote:I don't have any way to move posts. There was a request to trim so that it was easier to find posts about the product. This is a new product for Woot so the discussion will be useful to other Wooters.

I tried to follow your detour sign and I hurt my neck beyond repair

Dman27

quality posts: 32 Private Messages Dman27

Yeah I think I am officially fed up with Woot! Things just haven't been the same the past few years.

I didn't even get an email back from a few weeks ago about a package that I never received!!!!

B a g of crap: 8.5 & still waiting for that letter!!!
Woots: 30
Shirt Woots: 8

~DMan27~

ThunderThighs

Staff

Dman27 wrote:Yeah I think I am officially fed up with Woot! Things just haven't been the same the past few years.

I didn't even get an email back from a few weeks ago about a package that I never received!!!!

I just sent an message to customer service about your email. You might check your spam/junk folders just in case. Our email seems to end up there periodically. Either way, you should be hearing something from them via email or possibly a note in this thread.

helibobber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages helibobber

Bailed out last night and checking in this am. Is the Woot-Off over? No Bunnies Ogling Carrots again? My Wootalyzer is stuck showing no movement at all. Wondering if the system is functioning today after the server problems yesterday. Things seem very quiet here.

nanaejt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nanaejt

Hope all you folks in Texas are high and dry. Stay safe.

hackman2007

quality posts: 14 Private Messages hackman2007
helibobber wrote:Bailed out last night and checking in this am. Is the Woot-Off over? No Bunnies Ogling Carrots again? My Wootalyzer is stuck showing no movement at all. Wondering if the system is functioning today after the server problems yesterday. Things seem very quiet here.

Read the description again.

As for the Bunnies Ogling Carrots they are not guaranteed every woot-off, in fact, I miss when they were rarely offered. I believe this is one of the primary reasons why it has declined as of late. Also remember that not this Sunday but next Sunday is April 1 so a Bunnies Ogling Carrots will likely appear that day.

solman244

quality posts: 1 Private Messages solman244

I own an iPad 2 and use it extensively for class room note taking in an engineering program. Using a stylus and NoteTakerHD was adequate, but still a little clumsy.
Picked up this pen on a whim during the last woot-off and found it to be useful. From what I can tell, it will plug into iOS devices, Macs and PCs (sorry, no android). I've only tested it on the iPhone and iPad. It's interaction with the iPad seems to be limited to the iPen application built for it. It pulls stored pages from the device memory as pictures, which are stored in the iPad photos app. The live interaction seems odd and fairly useless.
The independent recording mode does work well. It clearly and accurately picks up all my pen strokes, provided I don't lean a hand between the pen and the receiver. It is much easier to draw graphs, circuit diagrams and pictures of rotating machines on paper with a pen than it was on the iPad screen directly with a stylus. Not being able to erase anything is a bit of a pain, and I've had to adapt my note taking style a bit. Lots of cross-outs for corrections.

Is it worth ~$50? It was for me. Having all my notes in one place that is easily and quickly browsed without carrying 3 binders around is great.

jminnion

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jminnion

There's no subtitle to the product image snarkily saying that the iPad isn't included! You done goofed, woot!

mjonczak

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mjonczak

Does this work with a Acme Garden Plow?

"When I die, I want to go             
as my grandfather did:                
quietly, peacefully, in his sleep. 
Not like his passengers." 

ThunderThighs

Staff

jminnion wrote:There's no subtitle to the product image snarkily saying that the iPad isn't included! You done goofed, woot!

True, but it does say it down with the "In the box" list.

mu4poo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mu4poo
whatsamattaU wrote:

Product website:
http://apenusa.com/productdetail.php?product_id=4

Even a bright shiny video:

w w w wait, so, let me get this straight.. everything I write or draw is going to go directly to my computer?

I may need to watch that video again - I'm not quite sure I understand what goes where..

curtise

quality posts: 20 Private Messages curtise

Forget about the product for a minute... I want to hear about ThunderThigh's adventures in babysitting last night! :D

-=C=-

Annabanana1c3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Annabanana1c3

Well, crap. I bought it now, but just realized that it may be difficult for me to use, being a lefty. Any experiences out there with left handed people?

rebeltreble

quality posts: 17 Private Messages rebeltreble

So...this is suppose to help you digitize your note, but you still have to write on a piece of paper to get that functionality? Why not just re-read the paper notes at that point?

Signatures are harshing my mellow.

pike513

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pike513
mu4poo wrote:w w w wait, so, let me get this straight.. everything I write or draw is going to go directly to my computer?

I may need to watch that video again - I'm not quite sure I understand what goes where..

(Apen Employee) - Anything you write or draw is stored on the receiver for you to sync with your PC or "M a c" later. Or you can hook it up to your iOs devise, with the free app what you write or draw on paper is real time written on your iOs devise...much more accurate over a capacitive pen or even finger(which gets sore). My favorite feature is, in class I can take my notes then use the OCR software to convert my doctor-esq handwritten notes to digital text..then I save my notes into a word document.

This is also better than a wacom tablet pen since you need a pc with you while using...this is wireless to work all you need is the pen and receiver. Have FUN WOOOTT

camamolina

quality posts: 1 Private Messages camamolina
ThunderThighs wrote:Are you an insider with the Apen company?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/29/e-funs-apen-a3-stylus-brings-digitized-scribbles-to-android-bl/

Judging from the fact that it's E FUN's press release, I would say...yes.

Side note...still love woot. Woot woot!

titansmum

quality posts: 1 Private Messages titansmum

Here is an article from Wired which explains how it works a bit better than the video.
Apparently you can store up to 100 pages on the pen and download it later OR have it instantly go to your device.