3%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
JVC Everio HD Camcorder
$119.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

lichme

quality posts: 2836 Private Messages lichme

Buy.com Overview

Sample Video Taken with camera

ericthecurdog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ericthecurdog

Eh? Any good?

shadowblue42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shadowblue42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-mX5-hfHHY

test video here^

edit:

well poo. someone beat me to it. I'm never going to get a Spring Training

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Does this thing have nightvision?

My neighbor leaves the blinds open but the lights off.

gjpjmp

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gjpjmp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u8RCFJ-pr8&context=C40059caADvjVQa1PpcFNDJtv2J_WY8-uBrgalB_RyJhS5alz1dr4=

This was recorded with the silver (not that color matters) version of this camera. I have been very satisfied with it overall. Only complaint is that the battery is not worth anything in terms of life. A full 836 Mah I believe gets you under an hour worth of recording. Invest in some extended batteries (cheap amazon ones should work) or do not venture too far from a wall outlet (which is my personal choice) More videos will be posted soon, some at night and eventually some of vehicles.

For 125, its worth it IMHO.

EDIT: here is the playlist of the videos filed just yesterday raw footage from the camera. Filmed in 720p
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBEF9B1D9812317FB

omegabohrokkal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages omegabohrokkal

Can we use this as a supped-up webcam? I've been thinking of streaming video game plays on twitch.

dpcollects

quality posts: 19 Private Messages dpcollects

When the wife wakes up in the morning... we will be discussing this product! We have a new baby and my brother got us a really cheap one that produces decent picture, but awful sound. How's the sound on this one?

sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100

The specs are pretty good but this is strictly a no frills basic camcorder. Some thoughts:

1) Only 12 of the 20 English pages in the manual actually teaches you how to use the camera. The rest are warnings, troubleshooting and legalese. That shows you show sparse the features are. And the pages aren't exactly packed with text and figures. All in all, I'd say that there are only 5 pages of real instructions.

2) It doesn't do still photos, which is a common and easy feature to implement. A video is a basically series of still frames, so why not have allow users to capture just one frame? This is a stupid oversight by JVC. Having a still mode allows some users to leave their still camera at home, and is especially useful because of the super optical Zoom. Having to take video first, and then capture the still frame on your is a waste of space and time.

3) HATE THIS: You can't pause while recording. This means that you'll end uo with lots of video snippets of one event/session. As others have pointed out, it's annoying and time consuming to have to concatenate them later. And each snippet has memory overhead so this is also less efficient than having just one file Furthermore, the playback function isn't like a slideshow where each snippet will automatically play in sequence You have to manually play them. Imagine how annoying then it is to attach this to your TV and having to advance to each new snippet even though they're from the same session.

In JVC's defense, most cheaper camcorders, palmcorders (i.e Flip) and digital cameras also can't pause while recording. Samsung digital cameras are a notable exception. Even their $59 models can pause. BUT ... moro.nically, Samsung's own inexpensive <$200 camcorders can't pause either!!!!

This is especially mor.onic since this JVC has a motion detect mode! In other words, it can automatically pause during recording yet it won't allow users to manually do so.

4) Keep in mind that this uses the AVCHD format (a new standard for HD digital camcorders) for HD videos. This format is not easily imported in many older video editing programs, especially free ones. This fact makes Point #3 all the more annoying.

5) The sound is monaural, not stereo. Since this is HD, why skimp on the sound???

6) I also believe that A.I.S. is only digital stabilization, not the superior optical stabilization

dilbertdogbert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dilbertdogbert
dpcollects wrote:When the wife wakes up in the morning... we will be discussing this product! We have a new baby and my brother got us a really cheap one that produces decent picture, but awful sound. How's the sound on this one?

You sure that awful sound isn't the baby?

Just sayin' it's been a while for me since mine are 9 and 6 now.

Screaming Mini Monkey Keychain with Woot Cape 1/17/12
Screaming Mini Monkey Keychain with Woot Cape 12/5/11
Screaming Monkey with Woot Cape 11/8/11
Screaming Mini Monkey Keychain with Woot Cape 10/12/11
Screaming Giant Monkey w/Green Cape 5/10/11

sdc100

RE: IMAGE STABILIZATION on this JVC

I'm pretty sure that this least-expensive JVC does not have optical stabilization. Their description is very vague, suggesting that it's the less expensive and less effective digital stabilization. After sll, if it's optical, don't you think they would advertise it? For example, their more expensive Everio GZ-GX1 specifically features an "Optical & Enhanced Advanced Image Stabilizer." In other words, A.I.S. is different from optical stabilization. Here is the description of A.I.S. from their website:

"Advanced Image Stabilizer
Advanced Image Stabilizer/Enhanced Image Stabilizer Camera-shake compensation is another important camcorder feature. The GZ-HM30's Advanced Image Stabilizer (A.I.S.) expands the effective area at wide angle to deliver powerful compensation for camera shake. With the GZ-HM30, you can enjoy stable results even if you're trotting alongside your subject."

In other words, it's probably digital stabilization which changes ISO and exposure, resulting in images are then often darker and more grainy.

aaronshall

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aaronshall
dpcollects wrote:We have a new baby and my brother got us a really cheap one

I had to read that part again.

Comparison chart

ienvyno1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ienvyno1

Oh, BTW, think this would be good for my mother?
She's jumping into the landlord business and I'd like to get her something to videotape the before and afters of the duplex she bought and is going to rent out.

Good to have concrete evidence if it gets trashed.

murt72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages murt72

Night vision???

maui

quality posts: 10 Private Messages maui

Pleased with the one I got (black) for the same price in a recent Woot offering. Impressed with the HD quality, even on an extra large screen. Sound quality decent as well, but the unit is small and light; you'll need a tripod at the higher zoom level. No complaints here.

ienvyno1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ienvyno1

Are these compatible with this unit?
Lexar 128 GB SDXC Flash Memory
Lexar Professional 133x SDXC 128 GB Memory Card

sdc100

dpcollects wrote:When the wife wakes up in the morning... we will be discussing this product! We have a new baby and my brother got us a really cheap one that produces decent picture, but awful sound. How's the sound on this one?

The sound is probably okay but keep in mind that it's monaural, not stereo. That's inexcusable for these type of camcorders. This also doesn't have optical stabilization, instead relying on an algorithm which probably makes low light videos grainy and jerky.

You may be better off with a good digital camera for the same price. Samsungs and Panasonics are pretty good choices. Their video abilities rival that of many <$200 camcorders. I'm partial to Samsungs simply because they can pause while recording, which this JVC (and most cheap camcorders/cameras cannot). The cameras have stereo sound, and often have a Children and Portrait mode. The Children mode operates at higher speed to minimize motion of the subject, and Portrait mode usually improves fleshtones.

ramadise

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ramadise

what about internal memory?? and what is the model numebr of this unit?? please let me know

chubechpmnk

quality posts: 5 Private Messages chubechpmnk

I named my firstborn Everio... But not after the Camcorder. I swear!

ubaid1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ubaid1

Based on previous orders, could I expect to receive this prior to April 6th?

MarzieO

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MarzieO

I bought this one from a previous woot about 6 months ago - while it doesn't have all the bells and whistles (as some other posters have noted), it's been perfectly fine for my son's soccer games, science fair project, and the like. We're not video-holics, so this is plenty of camera for us. And at this price, if the dog, cat, or 7-year old destroy it, it's not the end of the world. If you're looking for cutting-edge, this isn't it, but for a good family camera,this is worth a look.

Herding Cats and takin' names, every day...

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Syndil

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Syndil

I realize I shouldn't expect much for the price, but why is the frame rate so poor? Looking at all of the sample vids that have been posted so far... Resolution may be HD but the jerky frame rate makes it unwatchable IMO.

leviatan15

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leviatan15
Syndil wrote:I realize I shouldn't expect much for the price, but why is the frame rate so poor? Looking at all of the sample vids that have been posted so far... Resolution may be HD but the jerky frame rate makes it unwatchable IMO.

You have answered your question yourself, cheap camera!! I would only accept this camera as a gift.

leviatan15

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leviatan15
CowboyDann wrote:Does this thing have nightvision?

My neighbor leaves the blinds open but the lights off.

Do you accept visitors?

ageers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ageers
dilbertdogbert wrote:You sure that awful sound isn't the baby?

Just sayin' it's been a while for me since mine are 9 and 6 now.

As a parent of a 10 Month old...LMAO

Strive for progress, not perfection.

sdc100

ienvyno1 wrote:Thunder Thighs is in the house, so everyone keep it on the downlow..She'll get ya!!! Big Sister's always watching too. !!!
Oh, BTW, think this would be good for my mother?
She's jumping into the landlord business and I'd like to get her something to videotape the before and afters of the duplex she bought and is going to rent out.

Good to have concrete evidence if it gets trashed.

Videotape????
This JVC camcorder is not the best choice because it doesn't take stills, which can be helpful in gathering evidence. The 40x zoom is also unnecessary for her purposes, and adds bulk. Instead, the portability and pocketability of the palmcorders should be a more useful feature. Models include the Flip, Sony Bloggie, Creative Vado, etc. Actually, not the Flip, because it doesn't take memory cards or do still photos. But any other model should be fine. She might want to look into a model that has optical zoom, such as the Sanyo Xacti, which Woot has sold.

acoll1568

quality posts: 1 Private Messages acoll1568

Nope, no night vision

dlancioni

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dlancioni

The time-lapse feature is really awesome, and easy to use. It's the reason I bought this camcorder, and I was not disappointed.

Here's a couple time lapse videos of the move-in of the Michigan Home & Garden Show at the Pontiac Silverdome:

Day #1
Day #2

(It was just sitting on a box on a table, not on a tripod, so that's why the framing wanders a little bit...)

giesterfarher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages giesterfarher
omegabohrokkal wrote:Can we use this as a supped-up webcam? I've been thinking of streaming video game plays on twitch.

It has an HDMI port, so I would imagine so. ;)

jordan1969

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jordan1969

Pretty nice image and size is right but...
Software provided for downloading files sucks, you can not just download the files and play them as it's a unique format. Their software will convert it for you but it takes a long time.

Battery life is around 45minutes. Replacement batteries are hard to find. Most on the net are using a piggy-back battery that although it mounts where the original battery does, it actually cords out to the DC input on the side and then JVC has two models of connector flat or round so you have to make sure you get the right connector. I'm not disappointed in its image just not as excited as I thought I might.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
lichme wrote:Buy.com Overview

Sample Video Taken with camera

Sure hate those short 5 second cuts..no chance to examine the scene. Save it for music videos, please.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
dlancioni wrote:The time-lapse feature is really awesome, and easy to use. It's the reason I bought this camcorder, and I was not disappointed.

Here's a couple time lapse videos of the move-in of the Michigan Home & Garden Show at the Pontiac Silverdome:

Day #1
Day #2

(It was just sitting on a box on a table, not on a tripod, so that's why the framing wanders a little bit...)

Very nice. Buy a small tripod so you can have 100% quality just in case something you shoot goes "viral."

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

four1475

quality posts: 0 Private Messages four1475

Was going to buy the purple one...but not if it doesn't come with packaging. Just sayin'.

thefowles1

quality posts: 6 Private Messages thefowles1

The HD recording on this camcorder is 1280x720, which is only 720p. This resolution is still considered HD, but it is not "full" HD (1080p, 1920x1080 resolution). The output, however, can be up-scaled to 1920x1080 as the description states, but that will most likely result in some sort of quality loss.

gupton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gupton

Bought one of these two weeks ago to replace one lost at WDW, great little camera and i paid a little more $ so this is a great price!

Syndil

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Syndil
thefowles1 wrote:The HD recording on this camcorder is 1280x720, which is only 720p. This resolution is still considered HD, but it is not "full" HD (1080p, 1920x1080 resolution). The output, however, can be up-scaled to 1920x1080 as the description states, but that will most likely result in some sort of quality loss.

HD is defined as either 1080i or 720p. "Full HD" is a marketing term that can be bended to mean whatever the marketer wants, which is to say that it really means nothing at all.

ksteinhoff

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ksteinhoff

I THOUGHT that thumbnail looked familiar. That's my home town's riverfront.

ymmitch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ymmitch

I own one of these, bought it May 2011 in anticipation of my daughter's birth. The only complaint I have is that the pictures it takes are not as great as my panasonic digital camera, but are decent enough. The playback feature is nice, and have only had to copy videos over to my computer/external HDD twice since I've had it. The playback feature on the camera is nice too. It is also small enough to put in my pockets, then again I like to wear my clothes a bit baggy. I highly recommend it especially at this price, we paid about almost 4 times more for it on Amazon. Happy wooting!