Wyatt8

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Wyatt8
dpcollects wrote:When the wife wakes up in the morning... we will be discussing this product! We have a new baby and my brother got us a really cheap one

yeah, .. it's true..
when shopping for a new baby, it's always best to do it yourself ...

a perfect day to have a great day on purpose...
or because the store clerk told you to...

pevans14

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pevans14

Is this a pretty decent beginners camera?

aaronman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aaronman

Wow this is probably the most deceptive woot post I've seen: "Maybe I’ll set up the JVC Everio HD Camcorder and film myself in 1080p"

The camera is only 720p and it only mentions that in one field in the tech specs. Way to go, woot.

easysailor

quality posts: 25 Private Messages easysailor

Is there an extended warranty I can buy somewhere for this videocamera?

I live paycheck to paycheck thanks to woot.

mespoppa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mespoppa

The main thing that I don't like about it is that is uses a proprietary media format which complicates what you can do with it. You have to use their software which doesn't run on my Linux system. If I had known this ahead of time, I wouldn't have purchased one.

DDayFox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DDayFox

What gets me is... Woot has been selling this camera for a very long time, and i remember at some point last year i actually almost bought it, but here we are nearly a year later. For $120 these days, there are better products on the market than a year ago, woot needs to think about changing the prices on old technology...

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman
dpcollects wrote:When the wife wakes up in the morning... we will be discussing this product! We have a new baby and my brother got us a really cheap one that produces decent picture, but awful sound. How's the sound on this one?

Surprise your wife. Buy this item without getting her advance approval and give it to her as a gift. Then go to Las Vegas with the guys for a few days.

mcsteff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcsteff

My hometoown from 1946 to 1953 before the WALL was erected. Neat camera, also.

aaronshall

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aaronshall
aaronman wrote:Wow this is probably the most deceptive woot post I've seen: "Maybe I’ll set up the JVC Everio HD Camcorder and film myself in 1080p"

The camera is only 720p and it only mentions that in one field in the tech specs. Way to go, woot.

1080/60P Output - Yes (Upconverted)

stretchpa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stretchpa

Be careful, Woot sold me a defective unit the last time they ran this special and now will not replace or credit it. Buy at your own risk.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
aaronman wrote:Wow this is probably the most deceptive woot post I've seen: "Maybe I’ll set up the JVC Everio HD Camcorder and film myself in 1080p"

you can up-convert to 1080p whatever that means.

RomeoJN

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RomeoJN
ramadise wrote:what about internal memory?? and what is the model numebr of this unit?? please let me know

I was wondering this too. My older Everio has an internal hard drive. This one seems like it WOULD have some kind of internal memory because it mentions a very long recording time, but I can't find confirmation of it. Sure wouldn't mind upgrading my older one.

dlancioni

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dlancioni
radi0j0hn wrote:Very nice. Buy a small tripod so you can have 100% quality just in case something you shoot goes "viral."

Hahahaa, yeah, I actually own one, just forgot to bring it along.

diamonddog1111

quality posts: 1 Private Messages diamonddog1111
sdc100 wrote:The sound is probably okay but keep in mind that it's monaural, not stereo. That's inexcusable for these type of camcorders. This also doesn't have optical stabilization, instead relying on an algorithm which probably makes low light videos grainy and jerky.

You may be better off with a good digital camera for the same price. Samsungs and Panasonics are pretty good choices. Their video abilities rival that of many <$200 camcorders. I'm partial to Samsungs simply because they can pause while recording, which this JVC (and most cheap camcorders/cameras cannot). The cameras have stereo sound, and often have a Children and Portrait mode. The Children mode operates at higher speed to minimize motion of the subject, and Portrait mode usually improves fleshtones.

Dolby 2 Channel = Stereo

talkaboutus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages talkaboutus

I just tried to buy this w/ a new debit card I was issued today. It says it didnt go through maybe b/c of verifying billing address so I tried again. I want to be assured I will get my product AND not be double billed b/c I hit the "try again" Is there anyone that can help w/ Woot in customer service ? I cant believe I cant call and talk to anyone, that is so strange to me. I have had good luck so far except some batteries I bought, a bunch them are drained already. Please help. Thanks, Heather

ascii256

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ascii256

Man, this is the longest Woot-off item ever! I've been F5ing since midnight trying for my Bunnies Ogling Carrots

Woot sure has gone downhill since Amazon....

6/10 Dynamo Flashlight/Radio 6/5 PlayGear Share Splitter 5/31 VRDH200 Stereo Headphones
5/14 Single Serving Coffeemaker 4/27 Screaming Monkey with Black Cape 5/15 2 ear check ear thermometer 6/05 play gear share audio splitter 6/5 Logitech PlayGear Share Audio Splitter 4/27 Buslink Mini Stereo System 4/26 Zyxel M-202 Mimo Network Adapter 4/26 Excalibur USB Portable Drive 3/23 Screaming Monkey with Green Cape 3/23 Philips GoGear 2GB MP3 Player

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

talkaboutus wrote:I just tried to buy this w/ a new debit card I was issued today. It says it didnt go through maybe b/c of verifying billing address so I tried again. I want to be assured I will get my product AND not be double billed b/c I hit the "try again" Is there anyone that can help w/ Woot in customer service ? I cant believe I cant call and talk to anyone, that is so strange to me. I have had good luck so far except some batteries I bought, a bunch them are drained already. Please help. Thanks, Heather

You should be fine because you can only order once a day per item per account. However, please feel free to email service@woot.com with your question and they can verify the purchase.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

easysailor wrote:Is there an extended warranty I can buy somewhere for this videocamera?

There's a link to SquareTrade, a third party warranty company, on the main page. There are other 3rd party warranty companies out there as well.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

vincent1942

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vincent1942

Just bought this camcorder 2 weeks ago and paid $150. How upsetting is this now selling for $119? Very!

kkshields

quality posts: 14 Private Messages kkshields
stretchpa wrote:Be careful, Woot sold me a defective unit the last time they ran this special and now will not replace or credit it. Buy at your own risk.

I'm sorry about the problems you experiences with your JVC camcorder. I do see where we replied that, unfortunately, it was 60 days beyond the warranty date and to try JVC support. We do our best to help our customers but when a product is out of warranty, there's not much we can do.

sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100
murt72 wrote:Night vision???

NO, this does not have infrared sensors to record images without light. In fact, very few camcorders do.

jdcar81

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdcar81

It's a sucky camera. The lenses and stuff are ok, but they save the videos in a proprietary format. You can do some easy tricks to make it mp3, but that has some limitations and problems. Good luck trying to join small clips into a larger film. Their software is terrible and if you do it yourself, the sound won't match up. You can find boards on the internet with people trying to figure out how to get around this problem with little success.

sdc100

jdcar81 wrote:It's a sucky camera. The lenses and stuff are ok, but they save the videos in a proprietary format. You can do some easy tricks to make it mp3, but that has some limitations and problems. Good luck trying to join small clips into a larger film. Their software is terrible and if you do it yourself, the sound won't match up. You can find boards on the internet with people trying to figure out how to get around this problem with little success.

I think you mean MP4. Extracting sound from the video to make an MP3 is easy.

jdcar81

pevans14 wrote:Is this a pretty decent beginners camera?

It's not a good camera for anyone anytime in anyplace. And that's because you can't do anything with the videos after you record them.

jdcar81

sdc100 wrote:I think you mean MP4. Extracting sound from the video to make an MP3 is easy.

Probably is MP4. All I know is it took me a week to combine a few videos into a 7 minute movie. For one of the combinations with their software, I had to run my computer overnight.

sdc100

Syndil wrote:I realize I shouldn't expect much for the price, but why is the frame rate so poor? Looking at all of the sample vids that have been posted so far... Resolution may be HD but the jerky frame rate makes it unwatchable IMO.

Was the lighting low? Frame rate often decreases when the light is low because of the need to increase exposure time per frame.

Another possibility is the A.I.S. stabilization this uses. Unlike superior optical stabilization, digital stabilization may affect rate and exposure time. If possible, try turning the feature off -- especially when you're using a tripod (the same goes for digital still cameras). Stabilization adds artifacts onto an image so it's best to turn if off when not needed.

wearyeagle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wearyeagle

The specs say PC software. Does this mean I CAN'T use my Macbook to download the videos. I'm dumb at this. Be gentle. :-)

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU
wearyeagle wrote:The specs say PC software. Does this mean I CAN'T use my Macbook to download the videos. I'm dumb at this. Be gentle. :-)

Look at p. 19 of the manual I linked to earlier. It looks like you can download the videos to a mac:

http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/01/49/LYT2257-001C-M.pdf

sdc100

ymmitch wrote:I own one of these, bought it May 2011 in anticipation of my daughter's birth. The only complaint I have is that the pictures it takes are not as great as my panasonic digital camera, but are decent enough. The playback feature is nice, and have only had to copy videos over to my computer/external HDD twice since I've had it. The playback feature on the camera is nice too. It is also small enough to put in my pockets, then again I like to wear my clothes a bit baggy. I highly recommend it especially at this price, we paid about almost 4 times more for it on Amazon. Happy wooting!

I think you're confused. First, this Enverio doesn't take still photos so you can't compare t to the photos of your Panasonic digital camera. The lack of a still photo mode is one of the major shortcomings. Second, there is no way you would have paid anywhere close to "almost 4 times more for it on Amazon." Are you saying that you paid around $450 for this? That's more than double the manufacture's retail price of $199. I doubt if Amazon would do that. It sounds like you have a MUCH better camcorder since few home models sell for more than $400 on Amazon.

sdc100

pevans14 wrote:Is this a pretty decent beginners camera?

No, simply because it's way too basic for the price. You can do much more with some digital still cameras in this price range, i.e. Samsung and Panasonic makes some wonderful models that have stereo sound, optical stabilization, better low light performance, and the Samsung can pause while recording. And of course, they take great still photos, which this camcorder cannot do. Woot has also sold other camcorders that do much more for only $20-$40 more, i.e. they recently had a very good Samsung camcorder.

sdc100

That's not the only misleading aspect. They also fail to reveal that the sound is monaural, not stereo-- which is unusual for this type of camcorder. In fact, the manual mentions stereo sound in two places. Yes, it's true that it can PLAY stereo sound, and the file format encodes stereo sound -- but the truth is only revealed when you look at the diagram on page 5 of the manual. Feature #2 is a "monaural microphone." It doesn't matter what it can play if it doesn't have the ability to record stereo sound.

sdc100

jdcar81 wrote:It's a sucky camera. The lenses and stuff are ok, but they save the videos in a proprietary format. You can do some easy tricks to make it mp3, but that has some limitations and problems. Good luck trying to join small clips into a larger film. Their software is terrible and if you do it yourself, the sound won't match up. You can find boards on the internet with people trying to figure out how to get around this problem with little success.

If your experience is typical then my insistence on the ability to pause while recording is even more important. When I initially mentioned this, I was blasted by several Wooters. I said that it was time consuming to stitch many small clips, and doing so often degrades the videos due to recompression but they disagreed. Your experience seems to prove me right. Not only might you have to convert JVC's proprietay format into something more universal, but then you have to stitch and recompile the entire project. That may explain why your computer had to spend overnight completing your video.

While the ability to pause won't eliminate the need to recompile, at least you won't have dozens of snippets to convert and stitch. You will now only have one or two files per event.

jnevil

quality posts: 967 Private Messages jnevil

**Shipping Update**

JVC Everio HD Camcorder has completely shipped via FEDEX SMART POST. All tracking has already been emailed out. You can also find your tracking number by following this link and use your ORDER NUMBER as the reference number.

FEDEX TRACKING

humanfactorsucf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages humanfactorsucf

Received camera. Picture quality is great. Unfortunately, battery is completely shot and will not hold a charge at all. Any recommendations for how to proceed so that I can actually have a functioning battery?

DennisWKam

quality posts: 22 Private Messages DennisWKam

Staff

humanfactorsucf wrote:Received camera. Picture quality is great. Unfortunately, battery is completely shot and will not hold a charge at all. Any recommendations for how to proceed so that I can actually have a functioning battery?

Ack! Sorry about that. I'll be sending you a PM shortly with a solution. Please feel free to email us if you need assistance.

riley103

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riley103

Thank you so much for the post.