0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Apple 8GB iPod touch - Current Gen
$154.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

easysailor

quality posts: 25 Private Messages easysailor

Is this compatible with mac?

I live paycheck to paycheck thanks to woot.

ViolaineGray

quality posts: 10 Private Messages ViolaineGray

Awesome. As my 1st gen is close to dying, I was just hoping yesterday for a refurb here on Woot so that I could replace it. My wish was answered! Thanks, Woot!

---
Turn your scars into stars.

lalaclassic

quality posts: 51 Private Messages lalaclassic

Wish there weren't so many expensive Woot items... I like buying the cheaper stuff.

I'm cheap. I admit it.

mac daddy1

quality posts: 8 Private Messages mac daddy1

If only the battery were user replaceable.

cashew

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cashew

I've a second gen touch... with only the menu button working, and a battery that doesn't hold a charge (its about 4 years old.)

What do you guys think would cost more- getting it repaired or getting this refurb? (I'm considering this one too because my oldie but goodie isn't able to get the new os update either..)

Hmm, on further thought, Maybe I should just spring for one.

I am the Cashew. Goo Goo Ja Goob.

seagoon

quality posts: 5 Private Messages seagoon

$155 here w/$5 shipping.

$160 @ Overstock w/$1 shipping.

Not much of a deal.

PHOOEY! on Apple products, anyways.

[Thunderthighs: See price change post below]

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

Talk about a weed killer.This is NOT a good deal

teenracer6

quality posts: 59 Private Messages teenracer6

I ahve one of these. I love it. Its like having a tablet that fits in your pocket, and plays music. The only Apple product I would ever endorse.

ashliz8806 wrote:Going to a Wizards game and being disappointed is like going swimming and getting wet...If you didn't expect it, I'm not sure I trust your judgment.

rlj1010

quality posts: 12 Private Messages rlj1010

8GB is too small.

wunami

quality posts: 9 Private Messages wunami

I wish Apple would update this product. "Current Gen" is almost 2 years old.

Though, it pretty much does almost everything it needs to do still. The one major thing for me was the lack of a photo camera. The camera does 720 HD video...but for photos, it basically can only take video stills (less than 1 megapixel).

Was planning on updating my 2nd gen to the 4th gen until that spec was announced. Then Apple has tortuously not updated this product after that.

cashew

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cashew

Actually did some research... to get my ipod repaired=$179, and the battery is another $79.

Yeah, in for 1.

I am the Cashew. Goo Goo Ja Goob.

quark613

quality posts: 11 Private Messages quark613
rlj1010 wrote:8GB is too small.

It's true, I'm afraid. I have a 2nd gen 8 GB one (freebie with iMac), in perfect shape and I love it to pieces but it's completely full. 8GB is just not big enough.

donperros

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donperros

"We also failed to corroborate Daisey’s claim that Apple faked the moon landing."

Whoops, that was a bit of a tell! I thought your story was about Mike Peony!

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1077 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Previous woot:

http://www.woot.com/forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4392718&PageIndex=1&ReplyCount=212

and

http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4307688

Old NightGhost posts:

NightGhost wrote:My personal review, updated:

We are a family of 4, and we own 4 iPod touches. When I first got mine, I was thinking that it was nice to have an mp3 player that could also surf the web. Then my wife and I went to the movies, and she dropped the cover to my ebook reader, and couldn't find it in the dark. A nice guy behind us said "don't you have the free flashlight function on your iTouch?" and helped us find the cover.

Of course, you can read ebooks on the iPod touch too.

Later that day we had to drive to an office, and my wife panicked because she didn't know how to get to the address, and had left her GPS at work. iPod touch to the rescue again. Note that the Touch has a GPS-like feature that uses WiFi (described in links below).

iPhone, iPod Touch Get GPS-like Capability

iPhone and iPod Touch added with GPS-like capability

Apple "podmaps" patent reveals GPS-like directions for iPod

It even has an app ($10) that lets me watch TV broadcasts from my Hava Titanium HD (got it on Woot!).

I was never an Apple fan, but...

that only begins to explain why the iPod touch is my favorite gadget.

This also has voice control of your music (unlike the 8GB model), and you can buy earbuds with a microphone that work with it.

And many of the best apps and games are free, or very inexpensive. I've been playing the Texas Hold-em game lately.

I also like 5-0 Radio, which lets you listen to local police and emergency broadcasts. I get the game scores with the CBS Sports app, and of course, it has the great Woot app!

I've also been using mine to listen to audiobooks. And today I used it to settle an argument about local street names.

You can see movie ratings with the imdb app, and then see where they're playing with Flixster. And sometimes you just want to set an alarm...

And my new favorite app is Tight VNC, which allows you to remote control your computer via wifi.

It's much, much more than an mp3 player.

NightGhost wrote:Review at anandtech

techradar

IGN Gear Review

NightGhost wrote:YouTube video:

Retina Display Comparison: iPod Touch 4G vs iPhone 4 vs iPod Touch 2G/3G

cnet Australia video

Apple Unveiling Video on cnet

Edit: as noted below, now lowered to $149.99

ViolaineGray

quality posts: 10 Private Messages ViolaineGray
quark613 wrote:It's true, I'm afraid. I have a 2nd gen 8 GB one (freebie with iMac), in perfect shape and I love it to pieces but it's completely full. 8GB is just not big enough.

If I wanted to carry my entire music collection around with me, sure - I'd have to spring for the biggest one Apple offers. Since I need to keep costs low, though, I'm just keeping playlists, a few audiobooks, and some podcasts on mine these days. So for that, 8 GB for me is perfect

---
Turn your scars into stars.

AwaseMike

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AwaseMike

Bought the 32gb version at the sellout early march.
Shipping from tax to CA about 7 days.
No tax, which is the biggest reason I didn't buy at Bb or another plce , it's 10% in CA.
No scratches anywhere which I was worried about since it was my 11 yr old, but she would scratch it up anyway so I took the chance... and won.
Battery lasts more than 4 hours with her playing PvsZ, face timing and always on the internet texting nd emailing.
Ear buds are generic, consider you have to buy better ones.
Charging cord was CRAP! Wouldn't charge iPod to full nd sometimes wouldn't recognize the deice charging it, even the OEM adapter from iPad. Hooked up the iPad cord instead nd charged beautifully. Called the warranty support which was on a printed piece of paper in the box that said 30 day warranty. Here's what they said:
"Since you tried it with another cord that works we're sending you a new one. Also it says here you have a 90 day warranty so if it still doesn't work call us back and we'll send another cord or exchange the iPod for another.

I also got the 2year square trade so I feel like I got a great deal.
I hope that helps

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

seagoon wrote:$155 here w/$5 shipping.

Not much of a deal.

Hmmmm, good find. So we've lowered the price.

If you ordered before the price change, you will automatically be charged for the new lower price. There's no need to contact customer service.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

theimmc

quality posts: 12 Private Messages theimmc
ThunderThighs wrote:Hmmmm, good find. So we've lowered the price.

If you ordered before the price change, you will automatically be charged for the new lower price. There's no need to contact customer service.

Wow.. I'm impressed. Not many companies will do this.

I was going to say $169 at apple.com, but the new price is a fair bit less than Apple's.

sbchandler

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sbchandler

I purchased one of these last year here at Woot.

The Refushed quaity was good. It looked nearly new and has procreatetioned as if it was new.

It is an amazing cutting edge product. I'm constantly impress with it's design and procreatetionality.

I own a iPhone 3GS and the iPod touch syncs well with my phone so that I did not have to repurchase any apps. Even my TOM TOM app syenced over.
And with a little bit of tinkering I have the iPod Touch mounting up fine in the TOM TOM car mount for my iPhone.

ONE MAJOR THING:
I got the 8GB one and it's just not large enough. I'm always wishing I had waited and purchased one of the larger ones when they were offered here at WOOT.

Oh by the way...
If anyone might wonder why I got one of these when I already own an iPhone, it was for the FaceTime which I use all the time to talk with my wife, son and father who all have the new iPhones. My iPhone 3GS doesn't do FaceTime and this iPod touch does. That make it worth it for my right there.
AND...
Since I have teathering on my iPhone 3GS that means I can connect this iPod touch to it and use FaceTime anywhere, not just at home or some building with WiFi. I FaceTimed a friend, just to jerk his chain, from the top of ABasin, one of the world's best little ski area, last week.

dbayer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dbayer

An Apple refurb is different than other companies. Only the chip/mainboard is reused. The battery, screen, casings, headphone jack, etc are all new. So its actually almost all new.

jcastill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcastill
seagoon wrote:$155 here w/$5 shipping.

Not much of a deal.

[Thunderthighs: See price change post below]

Nice find especially since Livingsocial has a 10usd for 20usd bringing it down to 150usd and 1 dollar shipping.

devexityspace

quality posts: 25 Private Messages devexityspace

I have both android and iOS devices (tablets/hand helds), and while I am a PC guy (and definitely NOT a mac guy), iPod Touch is the leader in touch technology. hands down.

Bunnies Ogling Carrots Count: 6
Todd's Dirt: 6
Monkey Count: 3
Woot Lights Count: 1
Leak Frogs: 0

jseureau

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jseureau

What exactly does it do?

easysailor

quality posts: 25 Private Messages easysailor

To show appreciation to customers, I think Apple should include a free itunes certificate with every purchase of an ipod or iPhone.

I live paycheck to paycheck thanks to woot.

kenmckaba

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kenmckaba

Is this such a good deal? At Apple, they are $200 new or $170 for a refurb, both with a 1 year Apple warranty.

Woot's refurb with 90 day warranty is $155 or $178 with a 1 year non-Apple warranty.

pagemgr1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pagemgr1

Does a refurbished unit include a fresh battery, or are you taking the chance of having a battery that's been used a lot?

alanhwoot

quality posts: 40 Private Messages alanhwoot

I got the one from the previous Woot on March 10. I haven't had time to play with it much, but cosmetically it's fine -- no scratches, and boots up fine.

Despite the "literary point of view" referring to the retracted Apple factory story, I don't believe these are Apple Recertified. The previous Woot had a card from "Refurbished Product Service Center", which is operated by Sohnen Enterprises.

camoman214

quality posts: 1 Private Messages camoman214
devexityspace wrote:I have both android and iOS devices (tablets/hand helds), and while I am a PC guy (and definitely NOT a mac guy), iPod Touch is the leader in touch technology. hands down.

Why is the iPod Touch the leader?

jimgolf

quality posts: 14 Private Messages jimgolf

This is an iPhone without the phone. If you need a phone, skip this and get the iPhone. If you have a phone and need a media player, this is a decent choice. If you have constant wi-fi availability, you can store your extra music on the cloud, so 8GB is plenty.
If you are mostly without wi-fi, this is not as attractive an offering. You'll need to manager your content more often, and the games like Words or Scramble with Friends are useless.
You could spring for a 4G WiFi hotspot, but at that point, why not pay for the iPhone?
The other alternative is an Android phone. The Android phones at this price point are pretty aromatic. You would be better off with a used Galaxy S which you might be able to pick up at a lower price than this, but then you're dealing with someone else's problem.

administrator1956

quality posts: 1 Private Messages administrator1956
jimgolf wrote:If you have a phone and need a media player, this is a decent choice.

But today's phones ARE media players.

With such a tiny memory and no GPS I cannot be interested. I'm used to 32 GB (microSD) + 8GB on my phone.

I'll save the 150 dollars for the next phone, and when I'll buy it, I'll use the old as media player -if I need to.

ask me about ebook readers and guitars

pelagicsal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pelagicsal

LivingSocial Overstock $20 for $10 excludes electronics.

leviatan15

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leviatan15
jseureau wrote:What exactly does it do?

If you haven't figured it out yet, it's too late now. It does what it's programed to do, it's an allright deal..

mcmain42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcmain42

You can buy a brand new one from Sam's Club for $167 and it includes a 1 year warranty and if you pay for it with your Discover Card you get an additional year's coverage.

leviatan15

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leviatan15
mcmain42 wrote:You can buy a brand new one from Sam's Club for $167 and it includes a 1 year warranty and if you pay for it with your Discover Card you get an additional year's coverage.

You rock dude!!!

jameesix

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jameesix

got one last time. love it - except....

it doesn't stay connected to my network. the only device i have that has this problem. drops for 10 seconds, reconnects, constantly. i've troubleshooted it to death, can't seem to resolve it. looks like i'm going to have to make a call....

anyway my reason for pointing this out is, my experience, if wifi connection drops, or if you're out and about, it eats a huge chunk of battery charge reconnecting. as in, about two hours of usage or 12 hours of being shut off, and it's dead. switching wifi off after each use is critical.

Pufferfishy

quality posts: 40 Private Messages Pufferfishy
mac daddy1 wrote:If only the battery were user replaceable.

I love that the price varies massively by device - as thought the effort required or the batteries are radically different between them.

But I guess I shouldn't complain - at least they offer replacement.

You've been put on posting probation for this post

AppWiGuy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AppWiGuy

I agree. I also have iOS devices (iTouch 3G and iPhone4S) and an Android tablet (Toshiba Thrive, purchased off Woot). I also have multiple Windows computers and have been an IT Systems Engineer for over 20 years so I know how to use this stuff. The Apple products are simple leagues ahead. My Thrive tablet cannot even compete with my 4 year old iTouch. Even apps, such as MLB.TV that work on both platforms are dramatically different. The MLB.TV app on my Thrive doesn't even support video streaming, checking team schedules, etc. There are not simply more apps for iOS devices; the apps are much higher quality.

lotsa98

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lotsa98

Maybe I just got lucky, but I got a first gen refurb from Woot a couple of years ago, and when it died, the Apple store replaced it with no questions asked. Twice, actually.

So is the 1-year warranty (buying elsewhere) important?